Lunching Near MCG – GG’s

Aussies especially Melbournians love their football! So whenever there’s a match, there will be hundreds of people who go to the MCG (Melbourne Cricket Grounds). I am a failed-Melbournian because I have actually never been to the MCG and most definitely do not watch footie :P Sorry to all footie fans out there! Reason behind this story is because recently, I was lucky enough to be invited by Wrights PR and GG’s to try out their brand new restaurant in East Melbourne super close to the MCG.

MCG

MCG

Source: Wikipedia

As a matter of fact, they named the restaurant GG’s for two reason, one for Grandpa Guiseppe and the other G stands for the MCG ~ It was a week day lunch so I ducked out of work and headed to Clarendon Street in East Melbourne, just be careful you don’t get confused and go to Clarendon Road in South Melbourne :)

IMG_8936

I rarely go to East Melbourne and only know of the hospitals around there, but I forgot that it is actually a very nice quiet city suburbs ~ GG’s is just opposite the Fitzroy Gardens is a fairly large restaurant with a long wide bar area and also casual and more intimate tables.

Bubbles

Bubbles

I wasn’t sure who was going to be there, so was glad to see a few familiar faces Joyce (Mel Hot or Not) and Catherine (Petit Miamx) :) We were immediately introduced to Chef Paul Dunlop who has previously worked for George Calombaris at St Katherine’s in Kew.

Chef Peter Dunlop

Chef Peter Dunlop

We started off with wine probably not a good idea to drink too much at lunch time when I have to go back to work but…it’s worth it hehe

Bubbles

Bubbles

We were then given some starters to share, at the front is the fried green olives with gremolato mayo, I don’t eat olives so didn’t try this but I know the others on my side of the table really liked them. On the left is the Arancini stuffed with mozarella, parmesan and peas, it was my favourite starter with the melting parmesan cheese gushing out :D The chicken wings were also tasty with smoked almond vinaigrette.

Starters - Fried green olives, Arancini, Chicken Wings

Starters – Fried green olives, Arancini, Chicken Wings

Grilled Haloumi courgette pickle

Grilled Haloumi courgette pickle

I’m a fan of Haloumi cheese love the saltiness and bouncy texture, so I knew I was going to like this dish with the chargrilled haloumi cheese, it was also paired up nicely with the thin ribbons of courgettes and mint leaves.

Crab crostini, shaved fennel, tarragon

Crab crostini, shaved fennel, tarragon

Another starter that was my favourite was the crab crostini with shaved fennel and tarragon, I really liked the soft, delicate and sweet taste of the crab and was surprised that the tarragon complimented it so well.

Smoked ocean trout sesame, soused cucumber, apple

Smoked ocean trout sesame, soused cucumber, apple

The smoked ocean trout with soused cucumber, apple and a sesame wafer was very light and refreshing with a slight tang, perfect way to ignite our appetite for the other warm mains that were coming ~

Pan seared Tasmanian salmon, fennel puree, caramelised fennel, bisque sauce

Pan seared Tasmanian salmon, fennel puree, caramelised fennel, bisque sauce

We were then offered a pan seared Tasmanian salmon on top of fennel puree, caramelised fennel and bisque sauce. I never knew fennel puree could be so smooth and have such a creamy texture, I also liked the caramelised fennel which was sticky and sweet.

Lamb neck, shallot puree, black garlic

Lamb neck, shallot puree, black garlic

I’m not a lamb-eater, but couldn’t help try a little bit, because the it smelt so good. I’m glad the lamb wasn’t too gamey and had the perfect fall off the bone texture. I also liked the black garlic that is lighter in flavour and not as pungent as the average white garlic ~ I knew Mr Bao would have loved this dish! He likes his lamb!

Tomotoes basil, buffalo mozzarella balsamic

Tomotoes basil, buffalo mozzarella balsamic

As a side we were given a medley of tomatoes basil, buffalo mozzarella and a balsamic dressing. I thought it was a nice palate cleanser after having the more stronger tasting lamb dish. I particularly liked the buffalo mozzarella cheese.

Unfortunately, that was the last dish I got to try and I had to skip dessert because I had to rush back to work :( I was super sad when Catherine told me the lemon curd cake was to die for! Please go to Catherine’s post and Joyce’s post to see the dishes I missed ~

I enjoyed the lunch here at GG’s and I’m definitely going to schedule a time to go back to try their desserts :D

GG's on Urbanspoon

Daisy@Nevertoosweet attended this event as a guest of Wrights PR and GG’s all opinions are honest and based on time of visit.

Tagged: , , , , ,

19 thoughts on “Lunching Near MCG – GG’s

1. Keren May 12, 2013 at 12:56 pm Reply

Caprese salad is my hands down favourite, it really is a great palate cleanser and when made with quality ingredients is absolutely delicious. This one looks fabulous and would probably get me in on its own … the rest looks pretty good though too. Pity you missed out on dessert but that does of course make for a good excuse to go back :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2013 at 2:41 pm Reply

Definitely is a good excuse to go back can’t wait I hope they’ll still have the lemon curd cake there ~ hehe ohh is that’s what that salad is called Caprese :P I never knew thanks for letting me know!

2. Catherine May 12, 2013 at 3:50 pm Reply

We also had chicken off the rotisserie. So crunchy and yum! Was good to see you, what a nice surprise!! Haha :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm Reply

I saw that on your post too sighh so sad doesn’t matter will go back for that lemon curd dessert :) Definitely nice to see you ~ let’s catch up soon! xox

3. Choc Chip Uru May 12, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reply

Despite not eating dessert, everything looks so delicious :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2013 at 3:33 pm Reply

That’s true I shouldn’t complain because everything was lovely hehe ~

4. theragingcook May 12, 2013 at 8:45 pm Reply

Hrmmm strange as it may sound for me, but I like the look of the tomato and mozzarella dish hahaha, bright and colourful and reminds me of a dessert of fruit lol :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2013 at 3:46 pm Reply

lol nah it’s not that strange I can kind of see the resemblance too hehe ~

5. hotlyspiced May 12, 2013 at 8:49 pm Reply

There are some lovely dishes here and I think my favourite would have been the aranchini and the haloumi. It all looks wonderful xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm Reply

You’ve picked the best dishes and they were my favourite too :) I’ve never made aranchini at home but always try to order it when we go out hehe ~

6. The Life of Clare May 13, 2013 at 6:14 am Reply

The food looks amazing! I’ve been to the MCG and might have to check out GG’s next time!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 13, 2013 at 3:51 pm Reply

It was great :) definitely try it out next time you go to the MCG hehe ~ and don’t skip dessert like I did!

7. Hannah May 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm Reply

You totally should’ve got the others to doggy-bag your dessert for you.

8. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef May 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm Reply

I thought MCG was ground not group :)

I can’t believe you got all that eaten during a lunchtime from work. You are a clever woman. I used to live in the Eastern suburbs and that’s the only part of Melbourne I know other than downtown where we lived for a short while.

9. msihua (@msihua) May 13, 2013 at 10:53 pm Reply

What’s MCB then? Lol.. and I always thought MCG -> G stood for Ground? >< Looks like a fun place to visit! I've only been there for concerts!

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 13, 2013 at 11:34 pm Reply

Hehe the only way to get me to a stadium is through food too! We live right near a stadium and it’s always crowded when games are on!

11. ironchefshellie May 14, 2013 at 11:56 am Reply

I quite like the look of that lamb dish!

12. Sarah May 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm Reply

Oh cute! I had no idea there was a restaurant there at all! I love the look of the haloumi and zucchini pickle dish and the smoked ocean trout! They look delicious but fresh and light :)

13. gourmetgetaway May 17, 2013 at 5:28 pm Reply

The food all looked amazing! I would have loved an excuse for a glass of wine and some gorgeous foo in the middle I the working day
    ;(