Handshaken Lamington Milkshake – Lady Bower

I recently heard from someone that everyday 5 new cafes open in Melbourne. It’s quite an alarming figure, but I definitely believe this to be true. There are seriously so many cafes it’s practically impossible to keep up, even if you treated it as a full time job, you would need to go to at least 3 to 5 cafes a day to go through them all! The cafes don’t only open up in Melbourne CBD, there are also those cute hipster cafes in further out suburbs. Lady Bower is definitely one of these hidden cafes, Mr Bao had to be somewhere in Reservoir and asked me to go with him.

IMG_9922

It was an early Sunday morning, I wasn’t going to just go to Reservoir with him and wait…so I did some research and found Lady Bower a café. I realised Byran (Fat Boo) had blogged about it before and enjoyed the dishes. Our car pulled up in front of the café at around 9:30am and I was surprised to see such a large venue, which spans over 2 to 3 stores.

Cake display

Cake display

Walking towards the café, the waitress eagerly opens the door for us, I was immediately attracted to the glass cabinet where they display their cakes. You could tell instantly that they were homemade which is great!

Mocha $4

Mocha $4

My mocha was a good temperature but tasted more like a hot chocolate than a mocha and would have been better if it had more coffee to balance it out.

Latte $3.5

Latte $3.5

Mr Bao got a latte with the house blend from 5 Senses and described it as quite buttery with low acidity and floral notes. He ordered another one after the meal and asked for a strong latte but found that one too be to strong and sour.

Breakfast of Champions $18 – big breakfast, bacon, poached eggs, meatball, rosemary mushroom and toast

Breakfast of Champions $18

Mr Bao found the menu to be more ‘vegetarian-friendly’ so he immediately said he’s getting the Breakfast of Champions which was Lady Bower’s version of the big breakfast. It has the usual bacon, beans, mushrooms but then what surprised me were the meatballs! I didn’t think we were going to have meatballs for breakfast again anytime soon :P The meatballs were delish! Homemade, full of flavour and wonderfully light. The thick cut bacon was also Mr Bao’s favourite, I think it’s a trend because many cafes are now serving their bacon super thick ~ Unfortunately, the poached eggs were a little overcooked and the yolk wasn’t rushing out as I expected.

IMG_9950

I chose the smashed avocado with a dollop of sour cream and chilli oil on the side topped with a poached egg. Once again my poached egg wasn’t as runny as I would have liked, but nothing beats the silky and buttery goodness of the smashed avocado and the sour cream just made it even more indulgent ~ Mr Bao did like the chilli oil and found it too spicy but I loved it, and think it’s a great idea and definitely taking this idea home with me :)

Smashed avocado with sour cream, chilli oil and poached eggs $13.5

Smashed avocado with sour cream, chilli oil and poached eggs $13.5

I thought I had misread the specials menu when I saw a handshaken lamington milkshake. I asked the waitress and she said ‘yup it’s a lamington flavoured milkshake’, I couldn’t resist and immediately ordered it. It surprised me when she came over with a large glass jar, but then it made sense to me because it’s handshaken they must have shook it in the jar ~ Very clever! They did a great job getting the lamington flavour spot on! It had the chocolate base, with a slight tanginess from what I assume to be strawberry jam and also desiccated coconut YUM! Highly recommend you trying this!

Handshaken Lamington milkshake $4.5

Handshaken Lamington milkshake $4.5

To finish up Mr Bao and I shared the pear and chocolate ganache cupcake, the cake itself was deliciously moist and light, while the chocolate ganache was sweet and rich. Only complain would be the amount of ganache and the tiny piece of pear, with a thicker layer of ganache it would have been perfect :)

Pear and chocolate ganache cupcake $3.5

Pear and chocolate ganache cupcake $3.5

We were definitely impressed with this little cafe in Reservoir and even though its out of our way, I definitely recommend it for locals in the area and I’m coming back just for the lamington milkshake!

IMG_9923

Lady Bower Kitchen on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 thoughts on “Handshaken Lamington Milkshake – Lady Bower

1. Catherine May 9, 2013 at 8:59 am Reply

Gosh the lamington milkshake sounds to die for!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 9, 2013 at 9:27 am Reply

It was super delicious you’ve gotta go try even though it’s quite far away :)

2. Tina @ bitemeshowme May 9, 2013 at 9:03 am Reply

There’s always little gems opening up but let’s hope that they last in this economy. We see just as many places opening just as they close :( Love the decor of this place – looks like somewhere’d I’d sneak off to, even just for a party of 1!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 9, 2013 at 11:26 am Reply

That’s so true Tina :( so many cafes also close every year which is really sad especially that ones that are really good and worth checking out. I’d definitely come back again I really liked the quiet atmosphere could bring my laptop here and just work here all day long hehe and drink multiple lamington milkshakes hehe

3. All You Do Is Eat May 9, 2013 at 9:52 am Reply

You had me at Handshaken Lamington Milkshake!!! If I’m ever in Melbourne…

4. hotlyspiced May 9, 2013 at 11:29 am Reply

I do like the sound of the ‘Breakfast for Champions’. That would tempt me on title alone. But what a shame about the poached eggs! That’s always such a disappointment. I cannot believe that many cafes open in Melbourne every year – I wonder how many close? xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm Reply

I wonder how cafe close as well because there are always cafes that open and I don’t even get the chance to try and it has already closed down which is a shame >_< If the poached eggs were runny it would have been perfect hehe ~

5. ironchefshellie May 9, 2013 at 2:01 pm Reply

What a cute place! I still can’t get my mind off the lamington milkshake!

6. Hannah May 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm Reply

Lamington milkshake!! Go ‘Straya!

7. Ashley May 9, 2013 at 8:00 pm Reply

Did you shoot these pics with your SLR? They’re looking very good!

Lamington milkshake sounds OMG SO GOOD. Super cute spot, but shame it’s kind of…far away. Haha :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2013 at 4:13 pm Reply

I did I did :) But I didn’t take all of them! Ricky helped take some of these photos and we’re really starting to get use to the DSLR! but still soooo much to learn really hope you have those work shops soon hehe ~

8. The Hangry Bitch May 9, 2013 at 9:52 pm Reply

Wow!! i didn’t know they had a lamington milkshake, and handshaken too!! it was a pretty long drive when Booo and I visited, not sure if i’m up for it again =P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2013 at 4:15 pm Reply

Hahhaha It wasn’t a short drive for us either :P if it wasn’t because Ricky HAD to go hahaha I wouldn’t have gone to Lady Bower I don’t think having said that though the Lamington Milkshake is to die for!

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm Reply

Wow that’s a lot of cafes! It doesn’t surprise me though, there seems to be new names all the time between all of the Melbourne blogs that I read! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2013 at 4:17 pm Reply

Definitely there are so many new cafes that open up all the time it’s simply impossible to keep up :) I’m trying though hehe!

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 10, 2013 at 8:16 am Reply

Okay I will need to remember this lamington milkshake when I finally get to Australia. I love the look of it already. YUM! p.s. By the way, great pictures!! I haven’t been here for a while and I noticed that right away (I know you probably changed to DSLR for a while, but I don’t think I mentioned it before?).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 10, 2013 at 4:19 pm Reply

Hi Nami :) Welcome back hehe thanks for coming to visit! Yes I’ve changed to a DSLR for a while now but still learning to use it and the functions! I’m glad that you like the photos! The Lamingtons are definitely AUSTRALIAN so you have to try when you come and I will also be happy to take you and your family around!

11. Sarah May 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm Reply

That cafe is so cute! And you’re right, it looks so hipster/instagrammable, hehe. I love the look of the cake display!! :)

12. Amy Tong May 11, 2013 at 8:32 am Reply

Wow, at the rate of a new cafe every 5 day…I think the city will be filled with a cafe on every block pretty soon. But with food and drinks this good, it’s a good thing, I guess. More competition=better deals for consumers, right? That milkshake looks so good. I would love to have one right now. I love that they serve it in the “jar”. So unique.

13. gourmetgetaway May 11, 2013 at 11:17 am Reply

Oh this all looks great! I live the milkshake in a jar idea!!! Super, I wish we had five cafes open per day, I would be in piggy heaven!

14. msihua (@msihua) May 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm Reply

That drink has piqued my curiosity! And 5 new cafes everyday? Surely, he jests?

15. Cupcake Crazy Gem May 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm Reply

Wow so cool Daisy! I would go there just to try that milkshake! and I love the fact 5 new cafes open up every day, you’re so lucky! My dental hygienist here in Canada told me the other day she’s moving to Melbourne and is worried about the move and I told her she could rest assured that amazing food would be involved thanks to all I see on your blog, haha! She was happy about that!

16. Lani May 15, 2013 at 9:33 am Reply

A. Lamington. Milkshake??!! I think I’m going to have to find a reason to go to Reservoir… Soo far but that just sounds amazing…