Morning Tea – At The Gables

I love afternoon teas :) And I’m sure if you’ve read my blog for a while you will know hehe I love everything about it the concept of girls ( and maybe boys) sitting together enjoying scones and just chatting about everything ~ I’ve been very spoilt and tried out many afternoon teas in Hong Kong, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem as common in Melbourne.

The Gables

The Gables

That’s why when Alice and Annette my colleagues asked if I’d like to join them for afternoon tea at The Gables, I immediately jumped at the opportunity :) The name ‘The Gables’ immediately reminds me of the book that I use to read as a child ‘Anne of Green Gables’, have you read that book before? :) I use to love it and read the whole series! Anyhow, I have  heard of The Gables House and Mansion in Malvern East before but didn’t know that they offered afternoon tea every Wednesday for $45 and Sunday $55 both include a class of French Champagne.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We booked for the early Sunday seating which started at 11am and ends at 1pm, not very long for an afternoon tea and it should really be called a morning tea instead :P There is ample parking in front of The Gambles mansion, its a Victorian style house made out of brick with white fences all around it ~ very nice and can see why many people choose to this as their wedding venue.

Dessert Buffet

Dessert Buffet

Upon walking in, we were immediately greeted by a friendly waitress and also a large table filled full of desserts :) That’s when I realised that desserts was going to be served in a buffet style ~ I couldn’t have been happier!

The waitress then led us to a room on the right where there were 5 to 6 tables, we were placed in the middle of the room, which was fine, but we would have wanted a little more privacy and could hear the conversations from the tables around us and would have preferred a table closer to the window.

Champagne

Champagne

Another waitress then came to offer us a glass of Champagne but unfortunately, I couldn’t see or remember the type but I know it was from France hehe it was a rather light tasting Champagne and not my usual favourite Moet & Chandon.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Very quickly our ginormous 3-tiered stand full of savouries arrived at our table :) My colleagues aren’t really use to going out with a food blogger, that’s why I quickly took the photos and didn’t want to take took long taking the photos. So sorry in advance for the not-so-great photos ~

Sandwiches

Sandwiches

Starting at the bottom, there’s a range of little triangle sandwiches with a variety for us to choose from – egg and lettuce, chicken and chives and smoked salmon with caper berries. I was impressed how fresh and soft the bread was and the filings in the sandwiches were also delicious. If I was to be picky, they would have looked better if the sandwiches were cut into little squares instead to make them look fancier :P

Mini pies and quiches

Mini pies and quiches

The middle layer had mini beef and burgundy pies and spinach and feta quiches, unfortunately they look and tasted like supermarket-bought quality. The fillings for them were nice but the pastry was very thick and not very buttery which was a shame.

Scones plain and whole wheat mixed berry

Scones plain and fruit scones

At the very top layer was the scones, plain ones and other which we can’t work out, it tasted like whole wheats with some mixed berries. It was also served strawberry jam which looked and tasted more like strawberry jelly and also whipped cream. I found the scones to be strangely moist and dense and not as fluffy as I would have liked.

Jam, cream and butter

Jam, cream and butter

The afternoon tea also provided unlimited teas, they had a good variety of teas from the regular English Breakfast through more exquisite teas such as green tea with jasmine flowers and Galle District OPI Orange Pekge) tea.

English Breakfast Tea

English Breakfast Tea

Even though the savouries and scones weren’t that exciting, I was super excited about the dessert buffet   on the large table in the foyer. They had such a large range of goodies macarons, cupcakes, variety of slices, mini tarts, fresh fruit and little chocolate profiteroles.

Dessert Buffet Table

Dessert Buffet Table

So many to choose from! We had a hard time deciding! But once again, I recognised some of the desserts and have seen them at many cafes, I suspect from the same supplier.

My selection

My selection

I am trying to learn the art of eating in moderation so I only got a small plate and tried a few things :D Starting from the left the coffee panna cotta tasted more like coffee mousse topped with a thick layer of coffee jelly and dollop of whipped cream. The berry jelly and chocolate mousse was nice and smooth, but the pistachio macaron shell was too hard and had barely any filling and last but not least the mixed berry cheesecake was actually my favourite, velvety rich cream cheese with crushed berries through it.

Regrettably, I wouldn’t describe this afternoon tea to be one of the best, but it was certainly lots of fun and good to spend some time with the girls. We have now moved into different teams and work on different sites, so it’s hard for us to meet up. I would still recommend you visiting The Gables for afternoon tea if you’re looking for a nice quiet place near the city for tea that also offers a dessert buffet this is the place :) It’s also perfect for Mother’s day since it’s just around the corner, a shame my mother will only eat Chinese food and afternoon tea is out of the question :P

The Gables
15 Finch St, Malvern East
Melbourne Victoria
PH: +61 3 9563 6108

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

35 thoughts on “Morning Tea – At The Gables

1. hotlyspiced May 1, 2013 at 9:42 pm Reply

Eating in moderation? You’re so funny, Daisy – it’s just not possible for an enthusiastic food blogger. I do like the sound of this high tea but what a shame about the pies! The dessert buffet sounds very good xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:11 am Reply

I’m trying to learn so I don’t end up the side of a house hahaha but it’s hard especially when I’m at these dessert buffets :) Definitely a shame when restaurants and cafes are not wiling to bake their own pies and cakes >_< Hope you have a great weekend xox

2. milkteaxx May 1, 2013 at 9:43 pm Reply

scones in my opinion are the hghlight of any hightea, sorry to hear they werent that good! my mum likes to try everything so mother’s day has been sorted!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:12 am Reply

Definitely can’t have a high tea without scones just a shame that they weren’t the best ~ good that your mum is so easy going hehe my mum doesn’t eat anything except for Chinese LOL BORING!

3. Dolce Diana May 1, 2013 at 9:56 pm Reply

I love afternoon tea too! Ill definitely havta try @ the gables. I went to hotel Windsor , ritz in london, and burj al arab in dubai…can’t wait to discover more!!! Xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:13 am Reply

I love afternoon teas too :) it’s probably my favourite pass-time with my girlfriends hehe ~ I’ve heard about the Windsor but wasn’t sure if it was worth going. I would like to try the Grand Hyatt though have heard that it’s good as well :D

4. Jeno @ Weeknite Meals May 1, 2013 at 11:39 pm Reply

I really want to try to have Morning Tea one of those days, looks so fancy and delicate, I can actually pretend to be a lady for once, Hahah! The dessert bar looks divine, I would NOT have been eating in moderation there…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:14 am Reply

Really hope you get to try morning tea some time soon Jeno :) you could maybe invite a few girlfriends to your house and everyone makes a dish and then do a morning tea like that ~ That’s what I’d like to do with my girlfriends hehe just need to plan it first ~ The dessert bar was amazing to look at hehe but a shame that not all of it was as delicious.

5. viveka May 2, 2013 at 12:04 am Reply

The champagne you had is a very good one … AU$50.00 – $100.00 per bottle. So you where in good hands. Personal I like it very much … and Moet I never understood why everybody so found of. Maybe the name .. like Starbucks, a great brand … but nothing more to it. Love the China, your photos … a pity, you where not pleased with it or your champagne … my best afternoon teas – have been at Peninsula Hotel in HK. Hard for anyone to beat … and Fortnum & Mason in London.
    It’s a very delightful …. post again.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:15 am Reply

Oh that’s great to know that you which champagne I had :) I quite like Moet and don’t believe it’s just a brand, but I guess it’s a personal preference ~ I have also tried the Peninsula Hotel in HK but unfortunately wasn’t a fan of it…but I would love to try Fornum and Mason in London one day :) Hope you have a lovely weekend!

• viveka May 4, 2013 at 7:39 am Reply

Yes, it had been terrible if we all drinking the same champagne, not good for France. *smile
        It was very sad to read that Peninsula isn’t up to it anymore … I had mine a couple of times in 1978. One tip … don’t bother with Ritz in London – terrible. I wish you the same – and go easy on the Moet.

6. Keren May 2, 2013 at 7:13 am Reply

I re-read the whole Anne series only a few months ago … still loved it. :)

It’s a pity the food here wasn’t brilliant, with so much out there these days it’s hard to understand why they would go with cafe style brought in food rather than making in-house.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reply

I haven’t had the chance to reread the series would love to though even though I find that it gets a little sad towards the end :(

I guess it was a case of quantity over quality but doesn’t matter at least I had great company and great catch up with colleagues!

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme May 2, 2013 at 7:37 am Reply

I’ve not been to a high tea, ever. I don’t know what’s wrong with me! Shame the food wasnt top notch but at least you had the great company! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:18 am Reply

OMG that can’t beeeee you have to have had afternoon tea especially since you love cakes and desserts so much like I do :) It’s the best! I’ve heard the high tea at the Sheraton Hotel is quite good in Sydney ~ Next time when i”m in sydney and if we can make it lets go together!!!

8. Em May 2, 2013 at 8:52 am Reply

I love high/afternoon/moring tea, but never really do it here in Melbourne, only when OS. I must rectify this error. :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:19 am Reply

Me too!!! It’s the best thing but i don’t really think it’s that common in Melbourne yet not a lot of places offer it ~ hope this will change soon hehe !

9. Hannah May 2, 2013 at 10:17 am Reply

I’m not a fan of dessert buffets as a rule, as the emphasis always seems to be quantity over quality. Booooooo to this!

10. Ames May 2, 2013 at 2:20 pm Reply

I LOVED Anne of Green Gables ! Especially the tv series for it <3 I would go here just for that experience :P Morning tea does sound good – probably would have to take leave during the week one day for it :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 2:29 am Reply

You can go on the weekends as well :) I went on a Sunday hehe but just cheaper on the weekdays ~ I love Anne of Green Gables too!!! But did you read the whole series? It gets kind of sad towards the end hehe ~

11. The Life of Clare May 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm Reply

Delicious! What a lovely afternoon tea experience! I’ve been meaning to go to a high tea forever!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 9:27 pm Reply

You really should try going to a high tea when you can ;) its so much fine especially with a bunch of girlfriends hehe ~

12. Sarah May 2, 2013 at 5:07 pm Reply

I’ve read Anne of Green Gables too! I had the video as well and watched it dozens of times!

It’s a shame that the quality of the individual items wasn’t that good, but the atmosphere seems nice and it looks like a nice way to spend a morning/afternoon with some girlfriends!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 9:30 pm Reply

I loved Anne of Green Gables :) It was such a great story and i loved how it went through her life and her children hehe ~ Do you know where I can get hold of the videos I want to rewatch!

Definitely a shame it was a case of quantity over quality >_<

13. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 2, 2013 at 7:55 pm Reply

Daisy, you must try the one at Chateau Yering. It was so good! I know it’s quite a distance but if I loved in Melbourne I’d go all the time I suspect :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 9:33 pm Reply

I definitely need to :) I’m trying to book but my colleagues and friends haven’t told me when they’re free hehe ~ can’t wait! Because it’s actually not that far from where I stay maybe a 40 minute drive ;)

14. MoMo & Coco May 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm Reply

Oh we are booked in for this place in a fortnight! Can’t wait, it’s such a pretty place. If I could eat high tea every meal, I sure would, wouldn’t you?

Aside from what you noted above, anything more specific that we should look out for (to eat)?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 9:35 pm Reply

Great to hear that you’ve booked to try this place soon :) Its such a pretty mansion hehe I really liked the sandwiches and the mixed berries cheesecake ~ some of the other desserts were store bought so I didn’t enjoy it as much unfortunately.

But nonetheless hope you have a great time!

15. Ashley May 2, 2013 at 11:49 pm Reply

Shame you don’t rate it as one of the best, but I must say, my jaw hit my keyboard when i saw the dessert spread! Looks so fabulous!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 9:39 pm Reply

Definitely a shame that it wasn’t the best but at least I tried it :) and it’s such a pretty place!

16. Choc Chip Uru May 3, 2013 at 5:32 am Reply

Mm this high tea sounds pretty boss my friend and looks delish! As foodies, it is our job to keep trying the goodies ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet May 4, 2013 at 9:39 pm Reply

It wasn’t too bad hehe and definitely our job to keep trying good food :P

17. Nami | Just One Cookbook May 10, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

Oh Daisy, I want to live like you! :) Although I can’t go out as much, I always enjoy seeing what you eat (and drool over your food photos). ;) What a beautiful morning tea~~~!

18. msihua (@msihua) May 11, 2013 at 7:13 pm Reply

Oh I do love high teas.. I know I know.. I don’t like sweets.. but I like high teas!