Meat Overload – San Telmo

I love my friends :) Because they know me so well! Probably a month ago the Herald Sun published an article “Melbourne’s 25 Best Desserts” and immediately a number of friends texted, emailed, Facebooked and tweeted me the link to it. Nearly brought tears to my eyes that my friends know me and my insatiable sweet tooth so well!

Even though my friends are so supportive of my sweet tooth not all of them are up for the challenge to tackle all 25 desserts…but I know one person who will and that’s Kirk :P He’s a pastry chef after all so he’s gotta have a sweet tooth and trying more desserts will be like research for him! It’s a win-win if you ask me ;)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Anyhow, going down the list of dessert places, San Telmo’s dulce de leche creme caramel caught my attention and I don’t think I’ve had a proper South American meal before ~ So off we went. It was an impromptus catch up so at 6pm on a Sunday I immediately phoned San Telma hoping that they’ll have a table available. Luckily they did and said we can just rock up anytime :)

Like any other restaurant in Melbourne, San Telmo is located on Meyers Place one of the quiet and hidden streets between Spring St and are Bourke St. If you’re driving there you may be lucky like us to find free parking or there’s a car park right in front the restaurant ~

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAUpon walking in, I could immediately smell the meat on the chargrill and couldn’t want to get some in my mouth :) San Telmo’s also quite a dark restaurant with dark tables and chairs and dim lights. The waiter was friendly and gave us a quite table close by the kitchen so we could see all the chefs in action ~

Ceviche - Peruvian style lemon cured white fish with chilli, sweet potato and onion $16

Ceviche – Peruvian style lemon cured white fish with chilli, sweet potato and onion $16

The menu here is designed to be share with ‘smaller’ and ‘larger’ dishes. We decided to begin with the ‘Mas Pequeno’ small dishes, Kirk chose the Ceviche – Peruvian style which was white fish that was cured in lemon juice with chilli and accompanied with sweet potato and onion. Unfortunately, the fish wasn’t very fresh and the texture of the flesh was a little powdery we also found it to be too sour and overpowered the whole dish.

Mejilla de Cerdo - Braised pork jowl 'cheek' with crackling $19

Mejilla de Cerdo – Braised pork jowl ‘cheek’ with crackling $19

Since trying pork jowl for the first time last year, it’s now one of my favourite cuts of pork, but it’s still not very popular. We loved the fatty ‘melt-in-your-mouth’ texture of the pork jowl and the crackling was salty with a good ‘crack’ to it :) This was probably the winner of the night!

Tira De Asado - Pasture fed beef short ribs  $28

Tira De Asado – Pasture fed beef short ribs $28

Next up was a larger dish the ‘Tira De Asado’ย  these pasture fed beef short ribs had strong chargrilled flavour, I was worried at first that it might have been burnt but not to worry it was cooked perfectly. We were given some chimichurri to go with the ribs, we liked the texture of the beef but found it to be a little bland and it would have been better if it was seasoned with some salt. However, having said that I’ve never really had South American food so I’m not sure if that’s how they cook their meat :)

Entrana - Pasture fed hanger steak $36

Entrana – Pasture fed hanger steak $36

Don’t know why I was convinced by Kirk to order another beef dish, this time it was the Entrana a pasture fed hanger steak. I like the other name for hanger steak ‘butcher’s steak’ because it’s such a good cut that the butchers’ rather keep it for themselves ~ The hanger steak had really good flavour and was once again chargrilled but we found it to be underwhelming and slightly too chewy for my liking.

Flan de Dulce - Dulce de leche creme caramel $14

Flan de Dulce – Dulce de leche creme caramel $14

After all that meat, finally it was time for dessert or should i say ‘Postres’ :) I could finally try the acclaimed Dulce De Leche Creme Caramel with salted peanut praline. The creme caramel had good caramel flavours but I expected it to taste more like dulce de leche with the condense milk flavour. It also wasn’t as smooth was we expected and Kirk suggested it’s probably because it was over-mixed and too much air had been incorporated. We did like the dulce de leche on top which was sticky sweet and the salted peanut praline where the saltiness helped cut through some of the sweetness (once again not a problem for me :P )

Chocolate Mousse $14

Chocolate Mousse $14

The chocolate mousse was made out of Varlhona 80% dark chocolate with chocolate wafer and blueberries. I don’t generally dislike any desserts but I really couldn’t like this…the texture of the chocolate mousse was grainy and dried out which indicates that it has been pre-made and left in the refrigerator for quite some time. The chocolate wafers were alright but weren’t as crispy as we had liked and we felt the blueberries were a little out of place. Very disappointing :(

Alfajores $5

Alfajores $5

To finish up we ordered an Alfajores to share, which is an Argentinian cookied filled with dulce de leche. The biscuit was very thick, dry and crumbly and there was clearly not enough dulce de leche which was a shame :( Instead i was reminiscing the alfajore I had at the Eat Drink Blog conference last year which was thinner with plenty of dulce de leche.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It was definitely a meat overload dinner at San Telmo, I don’t remember the last time I had that much meat in one meal last time was probably ‘All-You-Can-Eat’ Korean BBQ :P Despite trying very hard to like San Telmo, neither of us did. We found the savoury dishes under seasoned and lacked flavour, however, it was the pre-made desserts that was the most disappointing.

San Telmo on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

34 thoughts on “Meat Overload – San Telmo

1. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) April 12, 2013 at 12:50 pm Reply

Win some and loose some… I guess you will just have to try some other restaurants..

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm Reply

I agree :) Win some and lose some so it’s fine ~ just thought I’d share the experience hehe

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm Reply

Daisy I think you could write an awesome story about the top desserts in Melbourne!! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 15, 2013 at 3:15 pm Reply

I think I could too Lorraine :P But I’m not sure if others will like my recommendations!

3. msihua (@msihua) April 12, 2013 at 9:21 pm Reply

Ahhh love this place…. the meats were fabulous!

4. Norma Chang April 13, 2013 at 3:00 am Reply

As Bam says, win some and lose some, at least you gave it a try.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 15, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reply

definitely at least I was able to try and can share my experiences with others :)

5. viveka April 13, 2013 at 7:18 am Reply

Great review again – I’m not a beef person .. but that fed hanger looked good.
    Pity that the whole experience wasn’t there, can’t wait for the next review. Have a great weekend.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:29 pm Reply

I agree it’s sad when it wasn’t the best experience but at least I tried so I’m happy :)

6. hotlyspiced April 13, 2013 at 8:04 am Reply

Oh dear. That doesn’t sound like a great dining experience. What a shame. I have to say, none of the dishes present terribly well xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm Reply

It’s definitely a shame when a restaurant doesn’t deliver and I expected more but it doesn’t matter at least I got to try one of the top 25 desserts hehe :) xox

7. Agnes April 14, 2013 at 10:51 am Reply

Oh that’s a shame you didn’t like San Telmo. I also didn’t rate the alfajore there. Mine are nicer – hahaha. (I will have to make you some one day!)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:31 pm Reply

I’d love to try your alfajore!!! :) I’ve seen them on your instagram and blog ~

8. ironchefshellie April 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm Reply

Wah :(
    I walked past the laneway last night and finally realised where it was. I won’t be rushing there though :(

9. Kirk April 14, 2013 at 7:30 pm Reply

U are always welcome to call me for a meal ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The Creme caramel is a shame. Overcooked.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:31 pm Reply

Thanks dude :) definitely a shame I expected it to be better sighhhhhh

10. milkteaxx April 14, 2013 at 8:58 pm Reply

aww thats sad to hear! ive had a similar experience where a few books reccomended the same place but the meal was quite disappointing.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:40 pm Reply

I know…it’s happen to me a few times when a place is highly recommended by the books or magazines but then i go and find it quite underwhelming :(

11. kellysiew April 14, 2013 at 11:42 pm Reply

Wow that’s a lot of meat! I like hanger steak but apaarently it’s difficult to do it well. Perhaps this restaurant suffers from consistency issues…..

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:41 pm Reply

LOL it was boarder line too much meat hahaha but good experience, I’ve never cooked hanger steak and heard that it’s supposed to be slightly chewy but this was just a little too hard for me hehe ~

• kellysiew April 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm Reply

I’ve had perfectly cooked, tender hanger steak before. Wonder how they did it.

12. Amy Tong April 15, 2013 at 5:34 am Reply

Oh…how fun. It’ll be like a sweet adventure to try all 25 places for sweet treats. I love your meat overload meal. hehe…I’m a big meat lover and don’t think I’ll mind to eat like this every once in a while. :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm Reply

I didn’t mind eating that much meats either :) I can’t wait to knock off all 25 places hehe ~

13. The Life of Clare April 15, 2013 at 7:32 am Reply

Love how your friends all let you know about it! The food looks fantastic!

14. Gourmet Chick April 15, 2013 at 10:34 pm Reply

I love San Telmo although my favourite dish there is not the dessert or the steak but the carrots!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 1:42 pm Reply

Really? Which carrots? I haven’t tried :) Maybe next time hehe ~

15. Libby April 16, 2013 at 10:42 am Reply

Damn, I was really excited about this place and even though I want to visit, I won’t be rushing there just yet. As for the Top 25 desserts list… haha, I’m happy to accompany to you to eat, like, 3 of them but not all 25 hahaha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 2:14 pm Reply

I know I was really excited about trying San Telmo too but after trying I found it to be underwhelming especially the desserts ~ glad that you are still happy to try 3 dessert places with me! I’ll just have to bug my other friends to go other 20 places with me :D

16. The Hangry Bitch April 16, 2013 at 2:56 pm Reply

It’s a shame how the desserts were a let-down! I tried the alfajores a while ago and thought it was alright, the amount of dulce de leche was enough for me, hahaha, prob coz i can’t take too much sweet stuff at once! To be honest, i’m very unlikely to return; the service we had that night was shocking!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm Reply

I read Fatboo’s review and thought the service was atrocious too!! Especially when that girl told Fatboo off for taking photos it’s so bad! But service that night was fine, it’s just we weren’t too impressed with the dishes maybe just an office night and you know me and my sweet tooth can never have enough of alfajores :D

17. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) April 17, 2013 at 12:47 pm Reply

OMG!! I never would have made it to the desserts after all those amazing looking meat dishes. I want them all right now…

I would make the perfect dining companion. I will order the entrees and mains and you can have a bite… you order the desserts, and I will have a mouthful. We would both be satisfied ;)

But seriously, it’s a shame they weren’t as nice as you hoped.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 17, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reply

I think you’d be the perfect companion too Julie :) When are you coming back to Melbourne you’ll be able to go to some of the places with me and we’ll have so much fun!

Definitely a shame that the desserts weren’t as good as I expected, especially the chocolate mousse which was the biggest disappointment :(

18. Sarah April 20, 2013 at 6:01 pm Reply

Oh, such a shame it didn’t live up to expectations! The dulce de leche caramel looks really good – shame it didn’t taste as good as it looks! :(