Cute Bamboo Buckets – Seoul Soul

I’m sure we all know the health benefits of eating at home and it’s much cheaper…but I’m just hopeless at cooking and simply too lazy :P That’s how we ended up having dinner at Seoul Soul. We didn’t want to cook but didn’t want to spend too much, so we went through the trusted “Good Food Under $30″ guide and found Seoul Soul in Richmond. As the name suggests it is a Korean restaurant :D

Seoul Soul

Seoul Soul

I called to make a booking and the lady with a Korean accent was very friendly and told us to take our time. It’s quite easy to miss Seoul Soul as it doesn’t have a very big sign outside, but its on Victoria St in the same building as Woolworths and ALDI  ~

IMG_9236

Seoul Soul is quite small with two large tables on the left and a couple of small tables on the right, I know some might find it to be a little cramped, the waitress was simply too friendly and nice that I thought it was just cosy :D She kept apologising that this was the only table left and she wanted to give it a bigger table. She really didn’t have to! The table was fine :)

Complimentary sides

Complimentary sides

Deep Fried Chicken dumpling $6

Deep Fried Chicken dumpling $6

LOL I think we over ordered again, starting with the deep fried chicken dumplings which were piping hot, the filling was delicious with hints of ginger, but the pastry was a little thick and reminded me of empanadas.

Deep fried calamari salad $12

Deep fried calamari salad $12

I was trying to be healthy and wanted to order a salad…but I think it defeats the purpose when I order a deep fried calamari salad but at least it had fruit in it :P The fried calamari was lovely with a light batter and wasn’t oily at all and I reminded me of Japanese salads with the slices of peach and strawberries.

Spicy pork bulgogi $13

Spicy pork bulgogi $13

I read Bryan’s blog post and immediately knew I wanted to order the Dosirak which is like a bento box but served in a small bamboo bucket and came with rice, salad, finger food and fruit. I really liked the presentation and the spicy pork bulgogi was spicy but I know other bloggers have commented to be a little on the sweet side, which is how I like it :P We also liked the little potato croquette that came with the Dosirak with a light and fluffy filling!

Spicy chicken bulgogoi $13

Spicy chicken bulgogoi $13

I was surprised Mr Bao ordered the spicy chicken bulgogi as he usually goes for the Teriyaki as he doesn’t really like spicy food. He really enjoyed this dish saying the chicken was cooked nicely and very tender. He was being so stingy and wouldn’t share with me! Only giving me two small pieces to try!

Marinated beef rib (120g) $15

Marinated beef rib (120g) $15

We also wanted to try some of their Chargrilled BBQ dishes, I thought the marinated beef rib was great value $15 for 120g which was more than enough for 2 people. The beef was well marinated and wasn’t overcooked, still retaining the juicy texture. We polished this dish very quickly.

Max beer $8

Max beer $8

I was driving that night so Mr Bao decided to get a Korean beer to wash all that delicious food down ~ he tried the Max beer which he hasn’t had before. It quite light in taste but I found it a little too ‘malty’ for me, but I’m really more of a Cider girl.

Rice cake Ice-cream $2.5

Rice cake Ice-cream $2.5

It’s rare to find desserts in a Korean restaurants so I was impressed to see the only dessert option ‘Rice cake ice-cream’ which was clearly a store bought mochi with a vanilla ice-cream filling. But it was still nicely plated with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and strawberries. Probably not the best rice cake I have had but a great way to end the night.

We were very impressed with the food and service here at Seoul Soul and have already recommended it to my colleague Yue who has visited with his friends and also enjoyed it. If you’re looking for a cheap and cheery or a casual place for dinner with friends, I would highly recommend Seoul Soul :D

Seoul Soul on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

37 thoughts on “Cute Bamboo Buckets – Seoul Soul

1. Julie April 10, 2013 at 11:29 am Reply

aww shame about the mochi! I seen this place a few times but i admit when in richmond eat vietnamese ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply

Hahha i know most people don’t usually go for Korean food but do try it out next time :) It’s alright about the mochi because that’s not their specialty and $2.5 was really cheap I thought :D

2. liannelow April 10, 2013 at 11:37 am Reply

Omgness! love the bamboo buckets they serve their dishes in! So cute! hehe and as you know. i LOVE korean! haha Had an overdose of it last week but still love it! hehe Looks and sounds like a gorgeous place! Definitely wanna try cos of the cute buckets! hehe xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2013 at 11:53 am Reply

You definitely have to go because of the cute buckets :) I couldn’t resist and so cheap too hahhaa only $13 for a huge bucket it even filled Ricky up! And the beef ribs nom nom nom!! Go try soon xox

• liannelow April 10, 2013 at 11:57 am Reply

That’s so cheap! hehe I think Melissa and I can share one! haha and Lester will have one on his own! hehe Maybe in a few weeks I will! hehe xx

3. andy1076 April 10, 2013 at 11:38 am Reply

I really really love the buckets and the presentation :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2013 at 11:54 am Reply

I really like the bamboo buckets as well :) Love it! Wonder if i can find them anywhere else?

• andy1076 April 10, 2013 at 11:54 am Reply

mmm! If you got a Daiso I wonder if you can get it there :)

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme April 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm Reply

I am obssessed with Korean food at the moment. I’m drooling and already had lunch!. Both the bulgogi’s are making me lick my lips! and HAHAHAHA to mr bao being stingy about sharing. how rude :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2013 at 3:12 pm Reply

He’s always stingy lol that’s probably how I lost weight after we started going out hahhaa but it’s kind of good for me LOL

I’m addicted to Korean food as well! But I don’t to eat it as much >_< all the good Korean places are so far away from me!

5. ironchefshellie April 10, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reply

OMG totes have to go here!!

6. Scrambled Megs April 10, 2013 at 5:19 pm Reply

korean food is so yummy. i love your pictures

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 11, 2013 at 12:37 am Reply

Thank you Megs :) I’m still learning how to take better photos hehe ~

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 10, 2013 at 5:27 pm Reply

I love Korean food! I feel like it tonight now Daisy :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 11, 2013 at 12:38 am Reply

It’s my favourite :) Hope you get your Korean fix soon Lorraine! I get cravings all the time hehe ~

8. Choc Chip Uru April 10, 2013 at 9:15 pm Reply

Haha being lazy resulted in gorgeous buckets :D
    Great choice!

9. Hannah April 11, 2013 at 3:24 am Reply

And, as always, I kinda just want the complimentary pickles and the dessert.

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 11, 2013 at 4:30 am Reply

I want to eat those spicy pork/chicken bulgogi!!! How fun. I miss going out to eat often… now I have to cook for the family. So don’t feel bad, you are not lazy, just ENJOY!! ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2013 at 3:19 pm Reply

Thanks Nami ;) means a lot coming from you that it’s okay to eat out and enjoy when we can because I know once we settle down and have a family it’ll be much harder ~

11. viveka April 11, 2013 at 4:36 am Reply

Never had Korean food … but it looks very good … Spicy chicken bulgogoi or pork .. would be my choice .. love the dish it comes in to. I eat very much with my eyes first and the presentation is so important.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm Reply

I agree I think presentation is the most important :) but then taste is equally if not more important as I much prefer an ugly looking but taste dish than a pretty but not so tasty dish hehe

12. gourmetgetaway April 11, 2013 at 6:54 am Reply

Oh it looks so delicious. I love that you found the restaurant cosy not cramped, very cute. I was lazy last night, we got take away ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2013 at 3:14 pm Reply

It’s okay Julie ;) i think we’re all entitled to be lazy some nights and simply not want to cook or do anything hehe ~

13. Norma Chang April 11, 2013 at 7:40 am Reply

I too love the bulgogoi presentation. Those beef ribs looks absolutely delicious.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reply

I loved the bulgogi presentation as well :) Very creative and pretty hehe

14. hotlyspiced April 11, 2013 at 2:38 pm Reply

I bet you’re a better cook than you make out you are, Miss Daisy! I love the look of this food and it does seem very well priced. Everything is presented beautifully xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply

I’m not so sure Charlie :P You haven’t had dinner at our place hehe but next time you come to melbourne I’l invite you and you let me know hehe ~ definitely a cheep and cheery place for dinner :D

15. msihua (@msihua) April 11, 2013 at 6:21 pm Reply

Go Ricky for challenging tastebuds! Lol.. I seriously thought you were doing a review of bamboo baskets! HAHAHAH!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 12, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply

Hahhaa he’s finally eating more Korean food :P of course not i’m not that obssessed LOL

16. Kimberley @ Fruit Salad & Mixed Veg April 13, 2013 at 7:47 am Reply

The vegetables/salads look so tasty, colourful and fresh. I have only been to a Korean restaurant once. I should really try one again.

17. Sophie Wang (@aecliss) April 13, 2013 at 11:42 pm Reply

Mmmmm, this looks delicious! I love Korean food, but I don’t actually try new places enough :S

18. Agnes April 14, 2013 at 10:53 am Reply

Eeee the dosirak looks so cute in the bucket.