Breakfast Balls – Meatball & Wine Bar

A few weeks ago, I was sent by my company to do a 2 day intense training course called ‘Business Acumen’, where we were split into groups of 4 and had to run our own business. Surprisingly I was appointed as the CEO of our company! Gosh I have no idea how to run a business and certainly don’t know how to be a good CEO. But thankfully my team mates were great and very supportive of each other :) Even though our company was fake and it was a game, we were all very serious and it was actually very tiring, going through the facts and figures and trying to make the best decision.

Meatball and Winebar

Meatball and Winebar

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and Fake CEO’s need to eat well :P Mr Bao was very sweet and drove me to the training site because it’s too hard to find parking, so in return, I offered to take him out for breakfast. I wanted to take him somewhere special and not just have bacon and eggs, so I did some research the night before and found that the Meatball and Wine Bar was now serving breakfast as well!

IMG_9025

We have never had meatballs for breakfast so was intrigued to try. We got there just past 7am and they were still setting up the tables, but the waiter was very friendly and immediately showed us a table. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Meatball & Wine Bar empty and quiet, as usually it’s packed full of people.

The breakfast menu was quite simple – balls, balls and more balls :P I can’t help but think of the Queen of Balls hahaha you know who you are! The concept was quite similar to their lunch and dinner menu where it mainly focuses on meatballs with sauce of your choice.

Baked egg and balls with beans $12.5

Baked egg and balls with beans $12.5

I chose the Baked eggs and balls with beans and chose the pork meatball, they did have a vegetable meatball option as well :) I really liked the flavour of the meatball and thought it went very well with the red sauce and the end. But found the beans to be slightly undercooked and a little firm. But I understand that we were the first customers and the kitchen may not have had enough time to cook them.

Breakfast sliders $12

Breakfast sliders $12

Mr Bao ordered the Breakfast sliders with an egg ball with bacon and red sauce. This seemed a little heavy for me but…if he can have a burger for breakfast I’m sure sliders will be fine too :P I thought the idea of the egg ball was very clever, and the waiter told me that they created it by baking the egg in a round tin in the oven, like the ones used to make cake pops ~ Now I’m interested to borrow that idea next time I have a party. Mr Bao liked his sliders commenting the buns were soft and fluffy, however, would have liked the egg balls to have some more seasoning.

IMG_9049

We both got up at around 5:30am and could barely keep our eyes open so had to have a latte ~ The coffee provider is ‘Dukes Coffee Roasters’. I think the barista knew we were really tired because it was quite strong but didn’t have any bitter aftertaste ~

Latte $3.5

Latte $3.5

We probably wouldn’t have meatballs for breakfast on a daily or weekly basis, but on the odd occasion I think it’s actually quite nice and fun :) It also helped fill me up until lunchtime which was great since I didn’t have a lot of time to eat. Fake CEO’s are so busy :P

I won a bottle of wine :)

I won a bottle of wine :)

As for the game? I think I have potential to become a REAL CEO :D My team won the challenge making 15 million in profits and won a bottle of wine each! I learned so much from the Business Acumen training and now understand why companies make the decisions they do. Just curious, my lovely Readers are any of you a CEO or business owner and how do you make important business decisions in a short period of time?

Meatball & Wine Bar on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “Breakfast Balls – Meatball & Wine Bar

1. Choc Chip Uru April 8, 2013 at 3:28 pm Reply

Meatballs for breakfast is such an awesome idea haha great review :D

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm Reply

Thanks lovely :) I thought meat balls for breakfast was a good idea too hehe ~

2. Ira April 8, 2013 at 3:50 pm Reply

Love some meatballs for breakkie! And cake pop eggs, genius.
    As a side note, the coffee provider is “Dukes Coffee Roasters” of Windsor fame, also now found at Ross House on Flinders Lane in the CBD.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 8, 2013 at 4:02 pm Reply

hello Ira :) Thanks for your comment! I must have got the name wrong let me change the name of the coffee roasters now hehe ~ Thanks!

3. ironchefshellie April 8, 2013 at 5:04 pm Reply

BALLS!!!!! my mouth is wide open for balls at any time of the day from this place!! :P
    Nice work Fake CEO, now i’m freaking starvin!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 4:01 pm Reply

hahaha that’s why you’re the Queen of Balls :P Can’t wait for balls partayyyyyy ~

4. All You Do Is Eat April 8, 2013 at 7:17 pm Reply

This was a great review! If I’m ever in Melb I’ll be sure to check this place out! The egg ball in cake pop tins is so clever!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 4:02 pm Reply

Thanks :) I thought the egg ball idea was really smart too ~ great to serve at parties I think hehe!

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme April 8, 2013 at 7:21 pm Reply

I really love the look of the baked eggs, though I think I see some raw egg whites :S nonetheless maybe it’s the square pan that makes it pretty!!

And meatballs for breakfast? Why not. It’s protein! Hahahahahah

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm Reply

Yeah the baked egg was slightly undercooked which was annoying but it’s ok I understand because it was super early in the morning :)

LOL I never thought of the protein aspect ~ but it’s a good idea hehe!

6. carla April 8, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply

Meatballs for breakfast what an ingenius idea!!!!

7. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) April 8, 2013 at 8:29 pm Reply

Man.That’s alot of balls for breakfast lol
    Good effort waking that early…for balls….

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 9:13 pm Reply

Hahahhaa I think i’m turning into Shellie the Queen of balls :P Balls anytime of the day ~

8. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) April 8, 2013 at 8:35 pm Reply

You do have great business sense then!!! Well done :) I love the idea of using the cake pop tins for eggs… Yeh genius :) I love the look of this place, something a bit different, yum!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm Reply

Thanks Julie :) I never thought my team would have any chance of winning at all ~ But we did really well! I think it’s nice to have something different for breakfast sometimes hehe xox

9. Peach April 8, 2013 at 8:41 pm Reply

The CEO had a lot of balls!!!! lots and lots!
    I want balls now >_< LOL

10. Ames April 8, 2013 at 9:31 pm Reply

Haha when I read your posts this morning on my phone, I was so happy that I was actually going to visit this place tonight and I’m so glad I did! LOVED IT!! so now all I need to do is visit it for breakfast :D Those egg balls are so innovative!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm Reply

I saw on Facebook that you went last night :) It seems like you really enjoyed it ~ YAY! I haven’t gone back for dinner for a while too! Gotta go back soon! Go try their breakie too when you have the time, they’re open quite early hehe 7am :)

11. Amy Tong April 9, 2013 at 3:49 am Reply

I certainly haven’t try meat balls for breakfast, yet. But with these scrumptious looking ones, I guess it’s nice for a change. :) Those sliders are looking fun and delicious too.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm Reply

I thought it was a little strange to have meat balls for breakfast a well :) But then it was actually quite nice and we really enjoyed it ~

• Tambrey May 24, 2014 at 6:45 am Reply

That’s a subtle way of thninikg about it.

12. viveka April 9, 2013 at 7:12 am Reply

I live in the country of meatballs …. but I never had them for breakfast, but this I like everything about. Baked egg and balls with beans – just what I would have gone for .. and that looks so good. Great review again, but I think you should have some kind of rating system for ambiance, service and the food. Because I couldn’t find your overall thoughts about the place. There is UK website for restaurants .. they ask their members to put points on the washrooms too. I always go to the washroom before I decide to eat at a place I never been before.
    If you was the first customers for the day should have everything cooked perfectly. The
    You are made for restaurant reviews …. or as faked CEO.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 11:34 pm Reply

Thanks Viveka :) Overall I liked the meatballs for breakfast and thank you for being supportive but unfortunately, I don’t think I will have the ability or skill to be a full time food writer :) But maybe one day ~

13. hotlyspiced April 9, 2013 at 7:16 am Reply

From the title I was worried you were actually having wine and meatballs for breakfast. You could go on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ – I think you’d be great. This breakfast food looks interesting and different which is refreshing compared with the typical breakfast menu but that sure was an early start to the day xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 11:37 pm Reply

Hahaha no no Charlie :) these were breakfast meatballs ~ I wasn’t sure if it was too heavy or rich for me but it turned out quite well especially the egg balls :D

I’m not sure about Celebrity Apprentice ~ I’m still learning about business and how to make sure we don’t spend too much on advertising hehe

14. milkteaxx April 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm Reply

this place looks so cute! meatbals anytime! and queen of balls! ;) haha!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 11:32 pm Reply

I think the meatballs are totally cute as well :) Can’t wait to make it at home as well ~

15. liannelow April 9, 2013 at 3:54 pm Reply

Woohoo! Well done Fake CEO! hehe Didn’t super well! hehe I remember seeing these egg balls you posted on Instagram! They are so cuteeeee! hehe and I think the Queen of balls will be holding a ball party soon so can’t wait! hehe And wanna try making those too! hehe xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 11:28 pm Reply

Thanks dearie :) I was totally surprised that my team was going to win!!! LOL The egg balls were the winner and totally want to try making it at home ~ can’t wait for the Ball partyyyyy excited! xox

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 9, 2013 at 4:38 pm Reply

I’m in love with this square frying pan. :D I bought a small frying pan (but round) and now got me some idea to serve breakfast egg in it! You are so sweet thinking about breakfast for Mr. Bao. I’d tell my husband to just drop me off. Tee hee. xD

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm Reply

I felt bad just using Mr Bao as my driver :P so i thought it would be nice to go have breakfast with him ~ I really like the square frying pan as well it’s quite unique :)

17. Karmen Mallow April 9, 2013 at 6:20 pm Reply

Wow, looks delicious. Adding this to my list for when I get to Melbourne!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 10:51 pm Reply

I think you’ll really enjoy it :) Let me know when you come and I’ll give you a list hehe ~

• Karmen Mallow April 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm Reply

Ah I will thanks! My friend and I are always looking for good places!

18. libishski April 9, 2013 at 7:44 pm Reply

LOL @ Michele’s nickname haha!

I’ll be going here for dinner (finally!) next week. Can’t wait for some balls in my mouth!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm Reply

Ohhh I think I saw on Instagram or Twitter you’re going next week :) YAY you’re gonna love it! Just try and go early they don’t take bookings >_<

19. Sarah April 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm Reply

So nice of Mr Bao to drive you to the training! And congratulations on winning the bottle of wine!!

I visited Meatball and Wine Bar for breakfast once – I had the same sliders and really liked them, but those baked eggs sure do look good! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 9, 2013 at 10:50 pm Reply

Thanks Sarah :) I’m so glad he drove me because finding parking on Collin St ~

Glad you had breakfast there as well meaning i’m not the only person who had meatballs for breakie hehe ~

20. Ashley April 9, 2013 at 11:44 pm Reply

I love how filling their breakfasts are! :) And congrats Fake CEO! ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2013 at 9:48 am Reply

Totally filling I didn’t feel like eating till about 1pm which is strange because usually i’m starving hehe Thanks I’m proud to be a Fake CEO lol

21. msihua (@msihua) April 9, 2013 at 11:44 pm Reply

Hahahah eating like a real Fake CEO! Like a champ! I remember you posting this a while back on instagram thinking to myself, “that girl is crazy! It’s wayyyyy to early for meatballs!” Well there you go :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2013 at 9:48 am Reply

Hahhaha you know I’m always crazy :P But having said that I thought Meatballs for breakfast was a little too much but hey at least it was filling hehe

22. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 10, 2013 at 9:17 am Reply

CEO Daisy definitely has a ring to it! And I had to laugh at all of the ball references :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 10, 2013 at 9:52 am Reply

I’m a Fake CEO Lorraine :D Prob don’t have the skills to be a real one yet ~

23. Cupcake Crazy Gem April 17, 2013 at 4:09 pm Reply

This all looks so fun! Meatballs for breakfast? So crazy! but it looks so good! Those little sliders are so cute! and I love the cast iron pan thing the other dish was served in – yum!