Easter’s Over – Cacao Easter Egg Masterclass

Greetings everyone :) Hope you’ve all had an amazing Easter and have indulged in too much chocolate (if that’s even possible!). I didn’t have time to blog during Easter because my parents and sister (Win Win) was here to visit. But unfortunately, Win Win had to leave after a week, while my parents are still here for another 2 months yay!

Humpty Dumpty displayed used over 40 kgs of chocolate!

Humpty Dumpty displayed used over 40 kgs of chocolate!

Even though Easter’s over now…I still wanted to blog about the Cacao Easter Egg Masterclass I was invited to by Cacao and Tink PR a week before Easter ~ It was like a mini reunion for us bloggers because most of us had attended the Pizza Competition at Grosvenor Hotel a couple of weeks before. At this event I was joined by Shellie, Cherrie, Ashley, Lianne, Peach Water, Brunch Addict Agnes and Amy. So good to see everyone again :) Special thanks to Lianne for letting me use some of her photos xox

The class was held at the Cacao store in St Kilda, which is actually their first store and everything use to made here until the demand outgrew the capacity ~ I’ve driven past this store many times but never visited and was surprised to see that they did not have their delicious macarons and chocolates, but also a range of cakes. I’m definitely going to come back and try them sometime soon.

Dark Hot Chocolate

Dark Hot Chocolate

Cacao was very generous and offered us a drink to start the night ~ After seeing photos of the ice-cream chocolate Shellie and Cherrie had, I was so tempted to get it. But it was getting a bit chilly that night so decided to go for the dark hot chocolate instead, it was deep, rich and smooth everything I imagined ~

Canapes

Canapes

They were also very thoughtful and provided us with some savoury canapes such as mini quiches and mini salmon rolls :) Great as most of us had gone straight from work and hadn’t had the chance to grab dinner, while I had been working from home and grazing on snacks all day ~

Julia then introduced us to Tim Clark one of the co-owners and creator of Cacao Fine Chocolates along with Laurent Meric. I was quite flattered when Tim actually recognised me as I have visited the Cacao store in Doncaster before and had tagged him in my Instagram posts ~ he immediately said “You have a sweet tooth don’t you?” LOL how awkward…everyone knows!

Tim Clark

Tim Clark

We were then led into the kitchen where it had a large marble bench, Tim explained that we were going to make a very special Easter egg that had a tiny sphere inside that was filled with salted caramel and chocolate. Even thinking about it makes my mouth water :D

Spread spread spread ~

Spread spread spread ~

First things first, tempering the chocolate which it an incredible shine and also that ‘crack’ sound when breaking into it. To temper the chocolate Tim melts the chocolate, then spreads it over the marble bench top and uses a bench scrapper to push it back into the middle and then spreads it out again.

Swish Swish Swish

Swish Swish Swish

He repeats this a couple of times until the chocolate cools to around 28 degrees. Tim said the best way to check this is with your lip as it is around body temperature or with a thermometer if doing this at home :)

Easter egg moulds & salted caramel crystals

Easter egg moulds & salted caramel crystals

Once the chocolate has been tempered it is now ready for use and can be used to make the egg shells AKA molding. Note it’s important to polish the molds with some cotton pads before using them to ensure it gives a shine to the eggs shells. Using a ladle fill the molds to the brim and then using one swift move tip it over and scrap it clean with the pastry scraper.

Before it sets, we sprinkled the Salted Caramel crystals Tim had previous made for us ~ so pretty like brown diamonds hehe

Now that the shells are done, we had to make the salted caramel chocolate spread that will be used to fill the chocolate spheres also going into the Easter Eggs. I have bought this salted caramel spread before and still have a jar at home, it is so delicious and addictive, I’m warn you not to make it unless you have very good self control. I clearly don’t hahhaa :P If you’d like the recipe let me know and I’ll email it to you ~ Tim said it’s ok to share if not I will try and blog about it soon ~

Once the spread was made it was time to pipe them into the pre-made chocolate spheres, we first filled it with salted caramel, then topped it with melted chocolate then closed them together. This keeps getting better!

Tim had placed our Easter eggs into the fridge to help them chill and set, but he said that ideally it should be left in room temperature for 24 hours to allow it to set naturally to create the shiniest finish ~

Rub Rub Rub :)

Rub Rub Rub :)

Once the Easter eggs were removed from the molds, we placed one of those salted caramel spheres and placed it in the middle of one shell. Then this step surprised me, I had always wanted to know how the egg shells stuck together, and it’s actually done by placing a baking sheet into the oven and warming it. Then gently rub the egg shells onto the warm baking sheet and as the edges have slightly melted, gently place on shell on top of the other. And if all works well…they stick together :D

Assembling the Easter Eggs

Assembling the Easter Eggs

There you go! That’s our finished product! Milk Chocolate Easter egg with a secret salted caramel surprise! I am so proud of us :D Team work! Also I am never ever going to take an Easter egg for granted ever again! It’s a long process and requires a lot of skill, which I don’t have yet :D But I have promised myself that I am going to practice and next year I am going to make my own Easter eggs to give out to my family and friends!

Finished product

Finished product

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can buy this Easter egg anymore since but you can still buy Cacao’s other chocolate goodies and if you haven’t tried their macarons, you definitely have to go try! The pisatchio flavour is my favourite.

Cacao's macarons

Cacao’s macaronsl

I would like to thank Tim and everyone else at Cacao as well at Julia for inviting me to such an interesting, fun and chocolate-filled class :)

Daisy@Nevertoosweet attended this event as a guest of Cacao Fine Chocolates and Patisserie and TinkPR

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

29 thoughts on “Easter’s Over – Cacao Easter Egg Masterclass

1. milkteaxx April 3, 2013 at 12:36 pm Reply

oh wow! salted caramel goodness! i didnt get a chance to visit cacao last time i was in melb but have had them here in syd!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:20 am Reply

It’s okay :) don’t worry there are so many places in Melbourne hard to go to all of them in one visit and it gives you another reason to come back ~

2. Charlie@Seattle Trekker April 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm Reply

Very interesting, I really enjoyed you post.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:21 am Reply

Hi Charlie :) i’m glad you enjoyed the post ~ I really enjoyed writing it too and being able to share with you and everyone!

3. Choc Chip Uru April 3, 2013 at 2:33 pm Reply

What a brilliant workshop to attend, the caramel surprise is mouthwatering :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:25 am Reply

The salted caramel was my favourite too :) Actually I can’t decide I loved everything!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 3, 2013 at 2:36 pm Reply

Phwoar! Look at all of that lovely chocolate there! I could dive head first into it :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:25 am Reply

I wanted to lick the marble table clean when Tim was tempering the chocolate :P

5. CheezyK April 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm Reply

My brain’s gone a little bit blah on the words tonight but those pictures look fantastic!

6. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) April 3, 2013 at 8:30 pm Reply

Such an amazing and eye-opening master class!! You’re right, after seeing so much skill and effort put together to produce Easter eggs, it makes me look at those gorgeous and delicious chocolate eggs with different ways now!

Like you, I really would like to make my own Easter eggs to give to my family and friends next year too, it will mean so much to me!! If you can share the recipe as well, that would be even more brilliant :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:32 am Reply

Hello Jane ;) hope you had a lovely Easter with your family! I definitely appreciate Easter eggs a lot more now after doing the course, I never knew how much effort and skill was put into them!

I will be more than happy to share the recipe of the salted caramel spread and also the recipe for the Easter eggs, I might email it to you first so I don’t forget xox

7. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) April 3, 2013 at 9:26 pm Reply

What an awesome masterclass! I can’t believe how much is involved in handmaking an Easter egg. Makes me feel kind of guilty eating one… maybe for a second or two anyway. I love how the salted caramel crystals are added to the inside of the main shell. YUM!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:39 am Reply

Don’t feel bad about eating Easter Eggs Julie :) Because I never do hehe I will simply appreciate them more and really hope to make my own Easter Eggs next year for my family and friends ~

8. hotlyspiced April 3, 2013 at 10:03 pm Reply

I saw these images on Instagram and I just thought this had to be the best day out ever. What a thrill to have been a part of this – I would have been in my element xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:42 am Reply

I was definitely excited to be invited to this event :) i couldn’t contain my excitement hehe ~ perfect event for me isn’t it? :P xox

9. Tina @ bitemeshowme April 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm Reply

What an amazing class. You truly are one lucky lady to be invited to such an event. Hope you had a wonderful easter with your sister and parents xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:46 am Reply

Definitely lucky to be excited to be invited to this event :) I had so much fun! I had a lovely Easter :D always good to have family over ~ Hope you had a lovely Easter too xox

10. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) April 4, 2013 at 12:27 am Reply

I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Easter in the proper culinary fashion. A delightful carmel surprise filling. Did you get to bring one home?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:46 am Reply

Yes we all got to take one home with us :) I just wished we got more hahaha anyhow I shouldn’t be too greedy ~

11. viveka April 4, 2013 at 6:59 am Reply

Wow …. what an interesting day … are you going to take anything on that you learned .. can wait to see what you will bring to us.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:47 am Reply

It was definitely an interesting and fun class :) Can’t wait to make some of these creations at home ~

12. msihua (@msihua) April 4, 2013 at 9:20 pm Reply

Amazing! So much chocolate :)

13. Sara (Belly Rumbles) (@bellyrumbles) April 4, 2013 at 11:52 pm Reply

Such a great masterclass. I do love the humpty!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 5, 2013 at 10:50 am Reply

One of the best classes I’ve done as yet :) Can’t wait to make some of the things I learnt in the class at home ~

14. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) April 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm Reply

BAHAHHA!! that photo of me gold!!! :P

15. cakeboule April 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reply

Those eggs and chocloates looked amazing! It looked like a lot of fun. Humpty is my favourite though!

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook April 9, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reply

How fun to see all the process in person!!! And how cool he check on Instagram and remember you! :) I appreciate the Easter eggs more now!