New With Potential – Miss Frank

You have probably heard me complain again and again, that there aren’t enough good cafes around the Doncaster area where I like >_< We have plenty of Chinese restaurants and a great shopping centre but some how we just don’t have any decent cafes. That’s why I always get super excited when a new cafe opens up near our area. Miss Frank is the newest cafe to open up in the quiet streets of Surrey Hills, I found out about it from Winnie (Eat Play Shop) Instagram :) and immediately put it on my list.

Miss Frank

Miss Frank

Julz and I visited Miss Frank on a very hot day, we arrived at Through Rd and quickly found parking across the cafe. Upon walking in, I was surprised to see that Miss Frank was a relatively big cafe taking over two stores with 2 large communal tables and other smaller tables.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We both liked the decor and ambience of Miss Frank, it was clean, simple and bright, we particularly liked the little hole in the table where the cutlery is placed and menus rolled up like newspapers ~ Along with the pretty bottle with coffee beans and a some flowers :) How much I wish I could keep our home so clean :P

Espresso Milkshake $6AUD

Espresso Milkshake $6

Given that it was a super hot day, I couldn’t make myself order my usual ‘mocha’ so decided to go for something cold, was intrigued by their Espresso Milkshake because I haven’t had one before. I was quite impressed with the strong coffee flavour and thickness of the milkshake, I didn’t expect it to be so strong as it looked quite pale :) If you like coffee and milkshakes, you’ll definitely like this!

Latte

Latte $3.8

Can’t believe Julz still ordered a hot coffee, she stuck with her usual latte and commented that it was rather watery and wasn’t very strong. I’m not sure what roasters or coffee beans they use but I’d like to go back again to try their mocha :)

Julz and I studied the menu and wasn’t sure what to order, we found the menu a bit restricted for instance in the breakfast section, they had the oats and muesli items and a big breakfast. But they didn’t seem to have any eggs benedict or florentine items which are quite common for brunch. Instead they had a DIY option where you get eggs-of-your-choice and then you add the items you would like. However, we found that to be quite expensive making the dish to be over $20 as items like avocado were around $5.

Maplenut crunch cereal topped with fresh fruit with milk and yoghurt $9.5

Maplenut crunch cereal topped with fresh fruit with milk and yoghurt $9.5

Eventually, I chose the maple nut crunch cereal with fresh fruit milk and yoghurt :) I was quite happy with my decision, I really liked how the plated it. The cereal was delicious with a lovely maple flavour and super crunchy, just the way I like it ~ Only complaint was there wasn’t enough cereal, I was still quite peckish after finishing the bowl, even though they had a good amount of yoghurt and milk to accompany it.

Beef and Mushroom $7.5

Beef and Mushroom $7.5

Julz decided to go to the lunch menu instead which just started at 11:30am, she chose the beef and mushroom which came with a tomato relish. It looked quite rustic, Julz commented that the filling was quite good with a peppery taste :)

Rapsberry Pistachio butter mini cake $5

Rapsberry Pistachio butter mini cake $5

Even though we were satisfied with our brunches, we still had room and I obviously wanted to try their sweets and cakes :P I was too lazy to go check out the counter hehe but Julz did and said they had a good range of muffins, mini cakes and biscuits. We settled for a raspberry pistachio butter mini cake, I thought it was going to be like a muffin, but it definitely had the texture of a cake. It was light and fluffy and had a gloriously buttery taste with little pieces of raspberry through the cake. But I couldn’t really taste the pistachio which was a shame as I love the taste of pistachio.

As a whole we enjoyed Miss Frank and believe it to have a lot of potential in becoming a fantastic local cafe in the area, but we found the menu a little limited and some items to be slightly overpriced. Having said that we enjoyed the dishes and drinks we ordered and that little cake definitely put a sweet end to our brunch ~ Looking forward to revisiting Miss Frank in the near future and hopefully see some more brunch items on their menu :D

Miss Frank on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

43 thoughts on “New With Potential – Miss Frank

1. Choc Chip Uru March 25, 2013 at 10:23 am Reply

The menu atmosphere and food sounds so yummy :)
    Would love to try it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 25, 2013 at 3:08 pm Reply

it was definitely a nice cafe :) They also have a lot of baked goodies too always a plus hehe

2. Hannah March 25, 2013 at 10:41 am Reply

Aw, I hate when pistachio desserts don’t taste like pistachio :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 25, 2013 at 3:09 pm Reply

I know me too :( because I really like anything with pistachio in it :)

3. Peach March 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reply

What a cute little cafe! Love the plating of your muesli _< hahaa

PS. Great photos ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reply

Aww thanks dear :) LOL I’m still learning to take better pictures!

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme March 25, 2013 at 4:15 pm Reply

Perhaps they’re just trying to find their feet. You do normally expect a bigger range of breakfast items. Nonetheless glad it all worked out ok in the end. I find brunch can get a little on the expensive side…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2013 at 8:49 am Reply

I think they are just starting out as well :) And need some time to smooth everything out just wished that portions were also a little bitter hehe I was still hungry :P

• Tina @ bitemeshowme March 26, 2013 at 8:50 am Reply

I hate when that happens. I don’t like walking out of a restaurant still hungry.

5. libishski March 25, 2013 at 5:31 pm Reply

Another thing that the Doncaster area lacks is decent public transport options! Ugh!

What a shame to hear that Miss Frank isn’t fantastic. The servings look tiny and for the price you paid, totally not worth it. Booo :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2013 at 8:51 am Reply

Couldn’t agree with you more! Even though I’m very lucky and don’t need to take public transport very often >_< But gosh we need a better system in place!

Yeah Miss Frank was pleasant but not quite there yet :( and I don't like leaving a place still feeling a bit hungry hehe

6. Gemma March 25, 2013 at 5:56 pm Reply

I went recently and enjoyed it but agree, the menu is a little limited. I so want to love it as a local cafe though!! Have you tried Santucci’s on Toorak Road? I went there during for the week for breaky and it was delicious – lots of things I want to go back and try too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2013 at 8:57 am Reply

Hi Gemma thanks for the comment :) I know what you meant, I really wanted to love this new cafe and overall thought it was decent but just needed more breakfast options and just seemed slightly overpriced. Yes I have visited Santuccis and liked their eggs benedict hehe there are always too many cafes! I have trouble keeping up :D

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 25, 2013 at 8:42 pm Reply

It looks quite nice and it’s a bit hard to tell proportion from pictures but the cereal does look a bit on the petite size. I think Mr NQN would need a few to feel full whereas this might be right for me :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2013 at 8:57 am Reply

I think I was just really hungry that day that’s why :) Because normally that portion would have been enough for me hehe ~ at least it’s was delicious :D

8. catty March 25, 2013 at 8:48 pm Reply

That maplenut crunch cereal looks really good!!

9. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) March 25, 2013 at 11:06 pm Reply

What a cute litte cafe. I like how the sliced up the fruit ultra thin over the granola. Its the little touches that keep you going back.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2013 at 9:07 am Reply

Couldn’t agree with you more ;) And I really liked the presentation of the food at this little cafe, a shame that it was slightly overpriced >_<

10. viveka March 26, 2013 at 9:27 am Reply

This is my type of brunch …. and I like the fresh look of Miss Frank – I think you should send them the link to this post. We talked about that before. Also the restaurants don’t mind you using their photos so long as you state in your post that they have provided you with the images. You should do this for a living … what a great job.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 26, 2013 at 9:47 am Reply

Thanks again for the advice :) But I am happy with just writing the review and using my own photos thank you for the thought and I agree it would be a wonderful job to be a food writer or blogger full time ~

• viveka March 27, 2013 at 8:10 am Reply

I’m think you would make a brilliant food critic. *smile

11. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) March 26, 2013 at 8:32 pm Reply

Dear Daisy,

I agree with you, Miss Frank looks like a lovely place you wouldn’t mind visiting again. I love all the food you and your friend ordered. Would like to see what they have on the lunch menu next time if you go again :p ~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2013 at 2:23 pm Reply

Hello Jane :) I am definitely going to revisit soon and will then share with you some of the lunches dishes they have ~

12. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. March 26, 2013 at 8:42 pm Reply

Hehehe Daisy I use Instagram all the time to find out about new places, and you usually go to new places before I do, so it’s funny it’s the other way around this time! I agree with you and I really wanted to love it as it’s so cute and the food wasn’t bad, but the the menu and pricing did make me think twice about returning, but will probably give it another go before I blog about it :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm Reply

Hello Winnie :) sorry for the late reply! Nooooo not always true you go to some of the new cafes too and you always remind me of oldies but goodies around our area and in other areas ~ Instagram is the best place to find a place to eat and what to order hehe ~ I think it’ll be a good idea to go back again and see if their menus has changed and if they have any more breakfast options :D

13. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) March 26, 2013 at 9:32 pm Reply

It sounded so good in the beginning! I loved the coffee beans in the bottle with the cut flowers but the menu doesn’t sound like it would excite me that much… I am pleased it was nice though, and it is early days for the restaurant, hopefully the menu will be extended :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm Reply

I agree Julie :) It’s still early days and I really believe the cafe has potential and I’m sure it’ll do great later on just wished they would expand their breakfast menus :D

14. CheezyK March 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reply

Ooooo, just a short trip up the road (compared to the inner city cafes that constantly get reviewed around the place anyway)! It’s a pity the food options weren’t as good as the decor … although I don’t think that will stop me from popping in to check it out one day :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2013 at 2:29 pm Reply

I think it’s still a great cafe for locals to go and I agree sometimes only the popular cafes in the city are reviewed but there are actually lots of hidden gems as well ~ I just wished they had a bigger menu :)

15. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) March 28, 2013 at 7:22 pm Reply

oooh, this is near my mum’s joint! Finally, somwhere in the area to go to besides Snow Pony LOL! Love the look of the espresso milkshake and yes to the maple cereal. I’m really getting into my cereals /granola lately…help!!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2013 at 2:30 pm Reply

HAHAHA i know exactly what you mean! There’s only Snow Pony there and even though that’s good! It gets so incredibly busy and is insane on the weekends! :) I bet you’ll like the espresso milkshake ;)

16. Ashley March 29, 2013 at 3:21 pm Reply

Cute looking spot! Probably wouldn’t be too far from me either! Your espresso shake looks gooooood :)

You cereal does look like a bit of a modest serve! You’d think they could at least given you half a cup more or something…!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm Reply

That’s what I think too :) And I really don’t eat much ahhaha and even then I wasn’t full at all but having said that it was super delicious ~

Always good to know when another cafe has opened up around us! We need more cafes :D

17. Amy Tong March 30, 2013 at 5:28 am Reply

Everything looks so yummy! I can use a glass of that espresso milkshake now. YUM!

18. msihua (@msihua) March 31, 2013 at 6:47 pm Reply

Why am I not surprised you had room for desserts Miss Daisy?

19. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice March 31, 2013 at 7:00 pm Reply

Looks like a cute little place, and big score that it’s close to home for you! Too bad about the lacking pistachio flavor, but everything else looks like it was quite enjoyable.

20. theragingcook April 1, 2013 at 8:19 pm Reply

Mmm mmm Meef and Mushrokm pie yummo! Gimme fimme gimme gimme gimme!

21. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) April 3, 2013 at 12:05 pm Reply

you can bitch and moan about the lack of brunch places around you, but girlfriend, you get no sympathy from me :P I live in Bosnia and there are no places around me AT ALL!!!!!!! <3 xoxoxo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 3, 2013 at 2:36 pm Reply

Hahahah fineeeee I wont complainnnnnnn but still :P it’s annoying when everyone else has an amazing cafe around them and besides you don’t need to eat out! You cook so damn well :D xox