Macaron Maddness – Ladurée VS Pierre Hermé

I think it would be a crime if I went to Paris and didn’t try the macarons from Ladurée and Pierre Hermé :D I have heard so much about these two patisseries and even though I have tried macarons from Laduree quite a few times as they recently opened in Sydney and Hong Kong. It’s the first time I tried macarons from Pierre Hermé so excited! Just wanted to do a little comparison between the two macarons masters :)

Laduree in Paris

Laduree in Paris

Starting with Ladurée, I’ve had their macarons from their store in New York, Sydney and also Hong Kong. Even though their macarons are quite delicious, I found there to be inconsistencies with the texture of their macarons.

Laduree macarons from NYC

Laduree macarons from NYC

Laduree from NYC

Laduree from NYC

Like the macarons, I had in New York to be more on the softer side, with a softer shell and the ganache in the middle was also creamier. I really enjoyed these macarons from the Laduree in NYC, I think they’re the best ones I’ve had even better than Paris :(

Laduree from NYC

Laduree macarons from NYC

I was very excited when Laduree opened in Sydney and when I found the chance to visit I was over the moon :) But then I realised the macarons were very expensive $3.2 take away and $4 dine in wow…

Laduree prices in Sydney

Laduree prices in Sydney

But then I found these macarons in Sydney to have a much tougher texture and very very chewy. I have heard that this may be because, they freeze the macarons and import them from Switzerland. I’m not sure if this will change the consistency, but I wasn’t too impressed with them. Even though flavours were fantastic especially their salted caramel and pistachio macaron.

Laduree in Sydney

Laduree in Sydney

I’m not sure if this will change the consistency, but I wasn’t too impressed with them. Even though flavours were still good especially their salted caramel and pistachio macaron. They are my all time favourite!

Laduree in Sydney

Laduree macarons from Sydney

I have heard from HK Epicurus that only the macarons in the Paris Laduree is actually made there, the rest are made from a factory in Switzerland and both HK Epicurus and Tina both agreed that their macarons are best in Paris. So I was quite excited to finally get to try the ‘real’ deal :P I actually didn’t get to try that many Laduree macarons this time, as I was going around too many patisseries hahaha but I did get to try a few when I visited their Laduree restaurant on Champs-Élysées.

Laduree in Paris

Laduree macarons from Paris

My sisters and I tried these macarons as part of the Brunch set we had there, which I will blog about another time :) We could choose 3 macarons of our liking, so we got the salted caramel, chocolate and dark chocolate flavour. I immediately found a difference once again in the texture in the macarons, they were definitely softer and more delicate than the ones I got in both Sydney and HK. But they were slightly firmer than the ones in New York. In terms of flavours they were slightly sweeter and probably the best, I really liked their salted caramel it was sweet, salty and just heavenly! I suspect its the use of the French butter :P There wasn’t a vast difference between the chocolate and dark chocolate macaron, except one tasted slightly more bitter.

Pierre Herme in Paris

Pierre Herme in Paris

Now moving onto Pierre Hermé macarons, there are quite a few Pierre Hermé stores around Paris, but I failed and only got to their store in the Galaries Lafayette deparment store on our second last day. I was slightly disappointed as it was a rather small store with only macarons and other dry packaged goods such as chocolates.

Pierre Herme macarons

Pierre Herme macarons

From memory I think Pierre Hermé had a more diverse range of flavours for their macarons and ones that I found most interesting was the chocolate and foie gras :P Yup I tried it and I’m not sure whether I like it or not lol it had a rich chocolate ganahe but then the foie gras flavour. The rest of the macarons I chose more traditional flavors such as dark chocolate, salted caramel, rose water and of course pistachio :)

Pierre Herme Macaron

I found flavours of the ganache simply too hard to resist, once again just like the macaron shell they had the perfect consistency and also balance of flavours. I think it is safe to declare ‘Pierre Hermé’ makes the best macarons I have tasted! Now I just wish I could take a whole cargo ship full of them back with me…and I really wished that they would last longer so Mr Bao could try :( Oh wells… I guess that’s just a good excuse and reason to go back to Paris don’t you like?

Pierre Herme Macarons

Pierre Herme Macarons

Clearly in this battle ‘Pierre Hermé’ has won just everything about them size, texture and flavour was all spot on! While Laduree had some good flavours, overall, I was quite disappointed by the ones I have had in Sydney and Paris and surprisingly found the ones in New York to be better. Now my lovely Readers I would like to ask have you tried Laduree and Pierre Hermé before? Which one do you like more? :)

Laduree
75 Champs-Élysées 75008 Paris, France
PH: +33 1 40 75 08 75

Galeries Lafayette
40 boulevard Haussmann 75009 Paris
PH: +33 (0)1 43 54 47 77

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

35 thoughts on “Macaron Maddness – Ladurée VS Pierre Hermé

1. kewpielovesyou March 15, 2013 at 10:20 am Reply

yup… only Laduree paris makes their own. everyone else gets ‘em frozen. i guess it all depends on how it is treated from frozen to being packed and served. and like you, i like pierre herme macarons too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm Reply

Phew glad I got my facts right hehe I wouldn’t want to say something bad about them that wasn’t true hehe :P Pierre Herme definitely wins no questions asked hehe

2. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) March 15, 2013 at 12:57 pm Reply

You are the second blogger that has mentioned Laduree. Where have I been as these look gorgeous. Do they also have a store in HK?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 15, 2013 at 3:47 pm Reply

They still have it in HK :) it is in TST Ocean Terminal they opened up last year, they’re not bad just when compared to Pierre they’re not as good hehe

3. Gourmet Getaways March 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm Reply

I have never seen such an abundance of delicious macarons! You really are the dessert queen, my blood would be pure sugar now if I tried to do what you have done ;) great story! Love your mail polish too ;) gorgeous!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 9:21 am Reply

Hahaha I didn’t have all these macarons at once :P even though I did have quite a few hehe they’re seriously my favourite type of biscuits hehe

4. Vien March 15, 2013 at 9:24 pm Reply

GREAT REVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m drooling at the sight at all these macarons!!!!!!!!!!! hehe now I have to get some tomorrow!!!! :P been really into pistachio macarons lately! Had a horrible one from Laurent the other day:( SO chewy it was like toffee candy! grrrrr needless to say, I went to get another one from La Belle Miette!!! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 9:22 am Reply

Thanks dearie :) i’m glad that you liked the review so much that you went and got some macarons the next day hahaha I love pistachio the most too and will never complain about paying because I’ve made them in a macaron class and they’re so hard to make hehe :P

5. msihua (@msihua) March 15, 2013 at 9:35 pm Reply

I would love to try the foie gras one from Pierre Herme! Heck I just want to go to Paris!

6. liannelow March 15, 2013 at 9:39 pm Reply

Awesomeeeee! hehe I’ve tried the Laduree ones you got for me from Sydney but I think it just got really hard after the few days! So definitely not a fair judgement ! But so gonna try Pierre Herme when I do go to Paris! hehe for now, La Belle is still my fav! hehe xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 9:24 am Reply

You’ve gotta try Pierre Herme for sure and you also have to go to the local patisseries which I’ll be posting about soon arghhhh sooo hard to keep up with my backlog if not i’ll just give you a list of addresses xox

7. Ali March 15, 2013 at 10:29 pm Reply

I haven’t tried either :( Where is the Laduree in Sydney? I was just there on the weekend (in Sydney) and don’t recall seeing them.
    I think Adriano Zumbo’s are the best macarons I’ve ever tasted, but then I’ve never had any in Paris :) Great review!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 9:26 am Reply

Laduree is at the Westfield Shopping centre on Pitt St in Sydney if i’m not wrong and I think they also have another store somewhere else? :) Zumbo is gooddddd but I find that I like the flavours of his macarons but not necessarily the texture so much because they’re a little to sticky for me hehe

8. milkteaxx March 16, 2013 at 12:42 am Reply

ive had laduree from sydney and some from paris ( bought back by a friend) and i agree with the consistency issue. even between batches in sydney the texture and sweetness is different, they may need a better QC implemented?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:45 am Reply

I definitely think the ones in Paris are much better but even then I don’t think they’re the best, I don’t really agree with them freezing it and sending them here and charging so much :(

9. Constance Ant March 16, 2013 at 12:50 am Reply

i had only tried macaron once at TWG.

it’s good but i personally find macaron is generally too sweet :/

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:46 am Reply

The macarons are TWG aren’t bad :) I’ve had some in the one in HK but I still like Pierre is the best for me hehe ~ I think it depends on the maker of the macarons and whether they use a super sweet ganache filling ~ hope you find some macarons that are sweeter that you can try and will enjoy!

10. viveka March 16, 2013 at 3:56 am Reply

So pretty … and so Paris. They have become fashion over here in Sweden lately and good cafe has them .. and the public market have them – but a special shop like this .. 20 years time, maybe. Personal I’m not a big fan of them .. but I love looking at them.
    So pretty in their colors … have a great weekend now.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:47 am Reply

Awww that’s a shame that you don’t like macarons especially since you’re living in Europe because they really are wonderful to eat :) But I guess we all like different things hehe ~ and even if you don’t eat them like you said still very pretty to look at hehe

11. Norma Chang March 16, 2013 at 7:53 am Reply

Pretty to look at, but like the previous commenters they are too sweet for my taste/

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:47 am Reply

They may be a little sweet for you Norma :) But I hope you will be able to find ones that use a ganache that isn’t that sweet, maybe try ones with dark chocolate?

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella March 16, 2013 at 9:15 am Reply

I love Herme’s macarons and they are the best imho. I wasn’t impressed by the ones at Laduree Sydney. They were mishapen and not very light.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:55 am Reply

I definitely think they’re the best Lorraine :) I had really high expectations of them and thank gosh they didn’t disappoint ~ I think the Laduree in Sydney is probably the worse out of all the ones I have had >_<

13. Hannah March 16, 2013 at 10:38 am Reply

I prefer Pierre Herme to Laduree, but then again I had (and blogged!) the Ispahan, not the macarons. Teehee, the macarons I had in Paris came from Monoprix and Picard! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:55 am Reply

Definitely prefer Pierre Herme a lot more than Laduree just wished that they would have them in Melbourne!

14. jac March 16, 2013 at 1:04 pm Reply

What a delicious post! I will be in Paris in June – can’t wait to do a little bit of ‘research’ to see which I prefer ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:56 am Reply

Ohhhh I’m so jealous and happy for you that you are going in June :) You are going to have an amazing time and the weather will be so much nicer! Hope you have an unforgettable trip!

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm Reply

I’m SUPER jealous right now. Look at all these macarons! I hear Herme’s macarons are so good. I wish I can try it one day. I’d love to try Laduree’s too. I try everything when I get there.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:56 am Reply

Aww don’t be jealous Nami :) They have Laduree in Japan too and I have heard they also offer a range of desserts so maybe you an try when you go back to Japan next ~

16. Sarah March 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm Reply

Yay! Loved this post! I totally agree with you – Pierre Herme wins hands down! I totally love his “mogador” macarons – passionfruit shell with milk chocolate ganache!

It’s a shame you didn’t make it out to his patisserie – his range of pastries is also AMAZING! (FYI no seats, you just have to buy and takeaway). Next time!! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 19, 2013 at 11:58 am Reply

Thanks Sarah :) Glad that you liked this post! I wasn’t sure if this post was going to be a little too bias hahhaa but that’s really how I felt hehe!

I know I was so sad that I didn’t get the chance to try his patisserie but it’s okay I went to a lot of other places and ate so much! Definitely next time I’m always scheming so excited for you though and you get to go later on in the year!

17. kwkam March 27, 2013 at 1:55 pm Reply

wow what an indepth review!!!
    came across your blog when i heard that pierre herme is coming to hk in may. now im even more stoked to try it thanks!

18. Ashley March 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm Reply

Sigh! I didn’t get to do Pierre Herme when I was in Paris back in 08, will have to plan a trip with Brad so that I can try them!!

I remember Laduree macarons being better in ’08, I wonder if the quality has gone down due to the vast expansion they’ve been doing?

Love your star fingernails as well, so cute! :)

19. Eliza@ravenousscientist April 23, 2013 at 7:57 am Reply

You are so right! Just got back from Paris last month. Pierre Herme wins hands down! Love your blog btw. =)