Bakers Delight Recipe Bank – Honey Toast Box

I have a love/hate relationship with bread :P I love it…but then I get all carb-loaded and slightly bloated if I eat too much, but nonetheless, I love my bread! Anyhow, Kathryn from Left PR contacted me a couple of weeks ago and asked if I would be interested in developing a recipe for Bakers Delight and their recipe bank ~ rules were simply, use any Bakers Delight product and make a recipe :)

Honey Toast Box with toppings :)

Honey Toast Box with toppings :)

I was so worried whether or not I would be able to come up with a recipe, because generally I just eat my bread as a compliment with Nutella, condensed milk or jam ~ So after accepting the challenge, I gave it a good think…’What can I do with bread…what type of bread….Toast….TOAST BOX’! Then I thought of the honey toast box I’ve had in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Basically it’s a block of bread, hollowed, covered in honey and butter and then toasted after that what you do with it is entirely up to you :P I love topping it with loads of ice-cream, sauce and nuts!

Recipe – Honey Toast Box an original recipe by Daisy@Nevertoosweet

Yield – One small box

Ingredients
43 grams (3 tablespoon) Unsalted Butter
1 small Baker Delight White Loaf bread
2 tablespoon of honey

Additional:
Ice-cream of your choice
Toppings (nuts, chocolate chips, fruit) of your choice

Ingredients

Ingredients

Method
1) Preheat your oven to 180°C or 350°F
2) Using a serrated knife slice approximately 1/4 of the loaf off, to make it more of a ‘square’ shape.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
3) Carefully make a slit on the base of box, then begin hollowing the bread box by leaving a 1cm around the edges along the base of the box. Gently remove the slices of bread from the centre.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

IMG_8262
4) Place butter and honey in a microwaveable bowl and heat until melted and mix to combine.

IMG_8269
5) Brush honey and butter mixture all over the toast boast including the insides, you can let it soak in a little before reapplying to make the bread sweeter. Do the same to the bread sticks.

IMG_8272

IMG_8282

Be careful really hot mixture

Be careful really hot mixture

6) Place bread sticks and bread box onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and place into the oven for 10 to 13 minutes. Turn the bread sticks every 3 to 5 minutes to prevent burning.

Before

Before

After

After

7) Once the bread has toasted remove from oven and let it cool slightly, before slowly replacing the bread sticks back into the toast box.

After

Notes
– You can purchase a whole loaf of white bread from your local Bakers Delight or bakeries, simply ask them not to slice it.
– You can use stale bread, will make slicing even easier
– Can omit the honey and make a savoury toast box :)

By now you should be able to smell the delicious toast box :) It’s complete! Now let you imagination go wild! You can top the honey toast box with ANYTHING absolutely anything ~

Honey Toaste Box with honeycomb butterscotch ice-cream chocolate sauce and chopped rocky road

I chose to top my honey toast box with Honeycomb and Butterscotch ice-cream, chocolate sauce and chopped rocky road! It was AMAZING if I can say so myself :)

Honey Toast Box with vanilla ice-cream, salted caramel sauce and almonds

Honey Toast Box with vanilla ice-cream, salted caramel sauce and almonds

I made another one and this time it was topped with vanilla ice-cream, salted caramel sauce and almonds. I think I liked this one a bit more because I love salted caramel hehe

There you go this is my recipe that I am submitting for the Baker Delight Recipe Bank ~ I really hope you like it and will try making this at home sometime! It’s super easy, great way to use up stale bread and makes a very indulgent and naughty brunch or dessert :P

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

64 thoughts on “Bakers Delight Recipe Bank – Honey Toast Box

1. andy1076 March 10, 2013 at 11:24 am Reply

Reblogged this on My story to you.. and commented:
    Sweet dessert from the sweetest friend in the world :)

2. libishski March 10, 2013 at 11:32 am Reply

A savoury toast box? Now, you’re talking in MY language! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm Reply

Hahhaa you can totally omit the honey and make a savoury one with ham and cheese they do that in Taiwan ;)

3. seattlecharlie March 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reply

Yum, I have the same reaction to carbs, but my gosh this looks good.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 4:05 pm Reply

Thank you for the leaving a comment and I’m glad you liked the recipe :) Carbs can be evil but so hard to resist hehe~

4. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. March 10, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reply

Salted caramel sauce toast box sounds devine!!!

• Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. March 10, 2013 at 12:47 pm Reply

Divine!!!!! (I hate typos!)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 3:58 pm Reply

All good :) I didn’t even notice the typo hehe ~ hope you try making it for your kiddies soon bet they’ll love it!

5. Kathryn March 10, 2013 at 1:00 pm Reply

Ok, now I have to ask: when I got “french toast” at the university canteen, it was “kind of” similar to this idea of a bit piece of hard/baked bread. I made a complete fool of myself trying to eat it with a plastic fork and knife. So… can you explain how you’re meant to eat this hard bread? Or is it not hard following your recipe? :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm Reply

I know exactly what you mean it’s hard as rock and very hard to eat :) But trust me as long as the bread is relatively fresh and you don’t over bake it, it wont be hard ~ especially the bread sticks inside the box is soft and yum :) Hope you will try this recipe and it will work for you!

6. Peach March 10, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reply

Very creative.
    As you know caramel isn’t my fave, so I’d have to go for:

Coz that sounds nomnomz… maybe… minus the butterscotch :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:48 am Reply

Hahaha you know not many people I know don’t like caramel :P But I respect you hehe or maybe you could top it with condense milk, jam or peanut butter instead? You can omit the honey and make it a savoury toast box too with eggs, ham and cheese just as NOMZZZ ;)

7. liannelow March 10, 2013 at 2:15 pm Reply

That looks amazing!!! (: Reminds me of the honey toast I had in Bangkok! hehe Would love to give this a go! Good job babe!! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:47 am Reply

Thank you hun :) Did you have the honey toast at a place called Toast Box? They’re everywhere in HK lol ~ Super relieved it turned out well! xox

• liannelow March 11, 2013 at 5:57 pm Reply

haha we have toast box in Singapore too but they don’t have honey toast! I had it in Bkk! hehe WAS YUM! x

8. msihua (@msihua) March 10, 2013 at 2:43 pm Reply

Pure indulgence!! Reminds me a bit of HK char chan tang type of french toast things :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:45 am Reply

Yes yes it reminded me of it too :) Except I think we need condense milk to make it more like the HK char chan tang style hehe ~

9. Hannah March 10, 2013 at 2:48 pm Reply

Holy heck I need!! OMG put peanut butter in with the butter and honey mixture!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:45 am Reply

Good idea I was thinking of using condensed milk next time hehe :)

10. Choc Chip Uru March 10, 2013 at 4:10 pm Reply

That is mindblowingly gorgeous my friend, what a dessert superstar!

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:43 am Reply

Thank you my dear :) I’m just relieved I was able to replicate it and create a recipe ~

11. Ames March 10, 2013 at 10:14 pm Reply

whoa, this looks so decadent! The name reminds me of the franchise Toast Box in Singapore :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:42 am Reply

Yes yes :) that’s where I got the inspiration from hehe Toast Box they have it in HK too but I always find their bread super thick and hard to eat ~ so i’m glad mine turned out softer was super worried before!

12. Valentine Logar March 10, 2013 at 10:30 pm Reply

Eek, all my favorites in one single place. Salted Caramel I, bread, Ice Cream…..I am getting fat just looking at the pictures!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:34 am Reply

Thank you for visiting my blog and I’m glad you liked the recipe :) I feel fat after making 3 and eating most of it myself hahaha but it’s worth it :P

13. The Hangry Bitch March 10, 2013 at 10:48 pm Reply

That is an amazing creation!! Well done Daisy! Looks so sinful :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:32 am Reply

Thank you Joanna :) I’m so relieved that it turned out ok, I was totally stressing out before hehe xox

14. Tina @ bitemeshowme March 11, 2013 at 12:16 am Reply

I’ve never seen such a thing but this is a genius idea!! I love bread, as bad it is for me, but I have such a soft spot. I LOVE the look of this. Very creative :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:27 am Reply

I totally agree with you :) Bread is just too addictive but also so bad for our backside and waists hehe ~ really hope you try making this soon because it’s really yummy hehe ~

15. leaf (the indolent cook) March 11, 2013 at 12:18 am Reply

This is such a great idea, I think I could have fun eating it even without any toppings!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:26 am Reply

I agree hehe :) It’s already quite tasty without any topping and without the ice-cream it wont turn soggy ;) xx

16. milkteaxx March 11, 2013 at 12:19 am Reply

yum yum yum! i just had this on friday now i can make my own! woo hoo!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 12:25 am Reply

Thank you dearest :) It’s actually really easy to make and you can top it with anything you want hehe yay!!

17. viveka March 11, 2013 at 6:18 am Reply

This is the most wired and wonderful dessert I ever seen. JUST fantastic!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2013 at 7:05 pm Reply

Hahha I love how you described it as wired :P Hope you’ll make it soon ~

• viveka March 12, 2013 at 7:53 pm Reply

*smile … Have to think about it – looks like a huge dessert. Thanks for coming back to me.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2013 at 7:54 pm Reply

You’re welcome :) Sorry for taking a few days to reply hehe ~ It’s prettyyyyy big but that’s what sharing is caring :P

18. hotlyspiced March 11, 2013 at 7:22 am Reply

Congrats Daisy on creating a great recipe. I was asked to create a recipe too but I just have so much on at the moment I couldn’t manage it. I love the look of this. It must be so tasty with the honey and butter toasted on to the bread. And the way you’ve finished it off with the ice cream looks sensational. I’m sure Bakers Delight will be very happy with this xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm Reply

Thank you Charlie ;) It means a lot coming from such an amazing cook like yourself! A shame that you didn’t participate because i’m sure you would have created a wonderful recipe ;) Don’t work too hard and always look after yourself xox

19. Vien March 11, 2013 at 7:39 am Reply

YOU’RE MAKING ME DROOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P Toasted butter and honey toast is one of the best things out there!!! HAHA Fantastic job dear!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 4:24 pm Reply

Thank you dearest :) I’m just realised that it turned out so well! I was freaking out that it wouldn’t work and then I wouldn’t have anything to post hehe hope you try making it soon ~ and maybe top it with peanut butter and condensed milk instead wakkaa

20. michelle March 11, 2013 at 10:36 am Reply

I was wondering if you could create a gluten free version of this one. Unfortunately, i have stopped consuming flour products due to traditional medicine restrictions. = =

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm Reply

I haven’t tried it with gluten-free bread but I’m sure there are white loaf of bread made from Gluten-free flour and as long as it’s sturdy enough it should work :) I’ll see if I can try it out and will let you know hehe ~

21. Jeno @ Weeknite Meals March 11, 2013 at 4:06 pm Reply

Daisy, are you kidding me with this recipe? My mouth almost dropped to the floor from the pure breadiness of it, oh the honey butter? Holy cow!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm Reply

Hhahaha sorry Jeno :P i’m not kidding it really is honey butter bread and heaps of ICE-CREAM! You have to make it for your little girl soon she’ll love you even more ;)

22. sophiamoniquephotography March 12, 2013 at 2:55 am Reply

WOW, i’ve never seen anything like this as a dessert. It looks amazing. Great job!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2013 at 8:40 am Reply

Thank you for dropping by my blog :) Glad you liked the recipe ~ Give it a go it’s really easy and best way to use up a stale loaf of bread hehe

23. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) March 12, 2013 at 8:49 am Reply

Oh I have been waiting to see what you came up with for the Bakers Delight Recipe… I knew it would be sweet and delicious but this is just amazing!! Well done, I can’t wait to give it a go… I might even use a Bakers Delight Fruit and Nut Cape Seed loaf!!! YUM!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2013 at 11:15 am Reply

I hope I didn’t disappoint you with this recipe Julie :) Because I’m really not that creative and much of a recipe creator hehe ~ but the sound of doing the toast boast with a fruit and nut cape seed loaf sounds so good just remember lots of butter and honey when you toast it :P

24. justagirlfromaamchimumbai March 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reply

Wow this is so innovative. Looks yum :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2013 at 7:04 pm Reply

Thank you for dropping by :) I’m glad you liked my honey toast box ~

25. Ali March 12, 2013 at 7:53 pm Reply

Wow! This looks so decadent!…and all with a loaf a bread! Fabulous!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 12, 2013 at 7:53 pm Reply

Thank you :) I’m so glad it turned out so well ~ Hope you will try making it too hehe

26. WordsFallFromMyEyes March 12, 2013 at 9:17 pm Reply

This is fantastic! It is food MAGIC. My son would so love me to be bothered doing this…. It is utterly, salivating.

27. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) March 13, 2013 at 2:06 pm Reply

woah.. full on babe! I’d expect nothing less from you though :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2013 at 10:14 am Reply

LOL I was going to put even MORE ice-cream but Ricky stopped me lol

28. P.S. I Love Soap Co. March 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm Reply

Wow! That looks soooooo Yummy! Thanks for the share:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 14, 2013 at 10:15 am Reply

Thank you for the comment :) I’m glad you liked it and hope you will make it soon ~

29. Bluejellybeans March 14, 2013 at 11:43 pm Reply

Incredible! This looks amazing :)

30. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 16, 2013 at 5:45 pm Reply

I’d eat the entire thing if I’m 20s!! :D Seriously… so jealous!

31. Nic @diningwithastud March 24, 2013 at 8:31 pm Reply

Oh my this looks amazing! So wicked and totally worth it!!! ;)

32. Cupcake Crazy Gem April 3, 2013 at 6:32 pm Reply

Woah Daisy! This is incredible, I’ve never heard of or seen anything quite like it! It looks sooooo tasty!

33. […] preparation if you want to do it right. But there are simple and basic recipes such as the one at Baker’s Delight. If you’re willing to take the extra mile and go all out, I […]