Mr Bao’s New Favourite – Rockwell and Sons

Like any other couple, Mr Bao and I are constantly bickering, and one of the most common topics we argue about is ‘Where to have dinner?’ :P Even though I have an ever growing ‘To Eat’ list, we still argue where to go. I want Korean, He wants Japanese, I want Italian He wants French, we never seem to want the same thing!

Rockwell and Sons

This happened last Saturday, and after half an hour of bickering, I said ‘That’s it we’re going to Rockwell and Sons for burger, Julie said it’s good!’. Mr Bao’s face scrunched up in a bun, knew that my decision was final ~

Mr Bao's Beef cocktail (forgot name and price sorry)

Mr Bao’s Beer cocktail (forgot name and price sorry)

I thought traffic was going to be worse, but it only took us approximately 20 minutes to drive from Doncaster to Collingwood. We were very lucky and immediately found parking in front of Rockwell and Sons on the busy Smiths St. It was rather quiet being a Saturday night with only a few tables seated with people and the rest were empty.

Kinkawooka Mussels, Kaiserfieisch, Corn, Jalapenos, Spring Onions $19AUD

Kinkawooka Mussels, Kaiserfieisch, Corn, Jalapenos, Spring Onions $19AUD

Mr Bao and I got a nice table in the back facing the kitchen, we had a look at the menu and very quickly decided what we wanted. Starting with the mussels in a broth and small pieces of Kaiserfieisch (a type of hame), corn, jalapenos and spring onions. I found the mussels to be quite small in size and would have been nicer if they were bigger, but nonetheless still very tasty. However, but we found the broth was rather salty so we didn’t really have much of it.

Double Patty Smash Burger $10AUD

Double Patty Smash Burger $10AUD

Rockwell and Sons is known for their burger and sandwiches, so Mr Bao chose the Double Patty Smash Burger to be his main. It’s a seeded bun with a thick patty topped with Kraft Special sauced and a thick layer of cheese. Seriously no joke, it tasted like a Mac Donald’s Big Mac burger because of the sauce but SO much BETTER! The patty was juicy and bun was soft :D

IMG_7840

Only compliant about the burger was the size, it was a little small for Mr Bao while I thought it was a perfect size for my tummy ~ Mr Bao loved this burger so so so much he ordered another one to take home with him and had it the next day for BREAKFAST!!! Don’t ask…he’s weird… who eats burgers for breakfast? >_<

Pressed Rib Sandwich $12AUD

Pressed Rib Sandwich $12AUD

I opted for the Pressed Rib Sandwich with BBQ Sauce, dill, fennel and onion. The sandwich had a soft bun and the BBQ sauce made it very flavoursome and the pressed rib was soft but was a little annoying when it stuck between our teeth hehe ~ Even though, this was nice, I think we both prefer the Double Patty Smash Burger :P

IMG_7847

I’ve seen these onion rings from Catherine’s blog post, and knew I had to order them. They did not disappoint, these were probably one of the crunchiest and delicious onion rings I’ve had in a long time ~ they were not at all oily and that Dr Pepper BBQ Sauce was addictive! Too bad I only had two…before Mr Bao scoffs the rest! Next time I’m ordering a whole plate for myself! ;)

Hickory Smoked Onion Rings, Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce $7AUD

Hickory Smoked Onion Rings, Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce $7AUD

Ending our meal with you know what lol desserts! They had two options on the menu this buttermilk panna cotta and a chocolate oil cake, it was a rather warm night, so we chose the panna cotta. The buttermilk panna cotta came with treacle roasted peaches which were sticky sweet and buttermilk granita, flavours of this dessert was good especially with the buttermilk granita, first time I’ve tried it. But I found the panna cotta itself slightly firm and wasn’t as wobbly and smooth as it could have been.

Buttermilk Panna Cotta, treacle Roasted Peaches, Buttermilk Granita $11AUD

Buttermilk Panna Cotta, treacle Roasted Peaches, Buttermilk Granita $11AUD

I think Mr Bao definitely enjoyed Rockwell and Sons more than I did and declared “Its now my new favourite place for burgers!” See I knew he’d like it! Don’t get why he always argues with me, when clearly I’m always CORRECT :P But I do agree burgers here are delicious and most importantly it’s very reasonably priced ~ definitely a good place to chill out with friends on a Friday night over burgers, onion rings and beer :D

PS. These photos were taken from the hand-me-down DSLR camera my Brother-In-Law gave me for my birthday :) Hope they’re okay! I’m still learning how to use it hehe ~

Rockwell and Sons on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , ,

49 thoughts on “Mr Bao’s New Favourite – Rockwell and Sons

1. andy1076 February 25, 2013 at 2:17 pm Reply

The picture up top is PERFECTLY timed, froze the moment and oh ya I would like burger for breakast too please, don’t forget the onion rings ;) lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 8:42 am Reply

LOL really isn’t burger for breakfast a little too heavy? At least I think it is for me :P

• andy1076 February 26, 2013 at 10:52 am Reply

Never! always happy to have good burger ;)

2. Catherine February 25, 2013 at 2:55 pm Reply

Aww! How awesome is the double patty smash right!! I’m so glad eveyone is starting to try it! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 8:43 am Reply

Definitely loving the double patty smash! It’s amazing :) And rather reasonably priced at $10 even though it’s slightly on the smaller side hehe ~

3. Peach February 25, 2013 at 3:10 pm Reply

I should not have read this blog post. I’m so hungry now, and man the burgers looks awesome. My friends always asks me to go, but I’m so lazy to drive all the way there.

Hahaha, your bickering in a way reminds me of Ella Fitzgerald’s and Louis Armstrong’s duet- Let’s call the whole thing off. Hahaha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 8:45 am Reply

Hahahah the bickering is annoying because I know I’m always right :P
      Sorry to make you hungry dearie hehe but you really should drive down there sometime it’s super amazing! I love it :)

4. Julie February 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm Reply

I know those are the best onion rings ever :D! Let’s go back soon!

PS new domain ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 8:45 am Reply

Sorry dear I thought it was the new domain :) I’ll change that when I get home hehe ~

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme February 25, 2013 at 4:11 pm Reply

For a table of two I can’t believe you ate that much? Reminds me of Andrew and I though hahaha! Really liking the look of the food. And not only that, seems affordable too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 9:21 am Reply

Hahhha is that a lot of food? Portions weren’t crazy big so I didn’t think it was that much food and hahhaa Mr Bao eats way too much for me to realise now :P

6. Choc Chip Uru February 25, 2013 at 4:33 pm Reply

I think my tongue dropped out I was drooling so much :)

7. leaf (the indolent cook) February 25, 2013 at 6:48 pm Reply

I’ve been telling Simon that we should get burgers here for a long time. Still haven’t gotten around to it! Now I can tell him you guys liked it too! ;) Enjoy playing with your new-old camera!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm Reply

You definitely need to take (drag) Simon there :) it’s super amazing and quite good value too I was surprised that the burger was only $10 ~

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 25, 2013 at 8:09 pm Reply

Hehe that’s so funny that he bought one to have for breakfast! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 12:08 pm Reply

Hahhaa he’s an idiot….who does that burger for Breakfast :P

9. hotlyspiced February 25, 2013 at 9:41 pm Reply

I love your Mr Bao – he’s so funny. Fancy getting a takeaway burger for tomorrow’s breakfast. Unbelievable. I think if I was him I’d learn to just say, ‘Where are we eating?’ xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm Reply

I totally agree with Charlie :P he shouldn’t argue with me and just do as I saw hahaha it’ll be so much easier ~ I still don’t get it burger for breakfast where’s the logic hahaha

10. The Life of Clare February 26, 2013 at 12:46 pm Reply

The food looks fantastic, especially as it’s just about lunch time here. The onion rings made my mouth water!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm Reply

The onion rings were definitely one of the best ones I’ve had for a while :) Hope you got something delicious for lunch as well ~

11. Bam's Kitchen (@bamskitchen) February 26, 2013 at 7:44 pm Reply

Every picture looks mouthwatering.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm Reply

Even though I love desserts, but I also have a soft spot for burgers ~

12. Ali February 26, 2013 at 8:45 pm Reply

Haha! We do the same, except after having a non-succesful discussion at home, we’ll drive around for 40 minutes until we settle on something!! And, like you, I have so many places on my To Eat list, that it really shouldn’t be too hard!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 3:57 pm Reply

I’m so glad you know exactly how I feel because it’s very frustration LOL especially when we argue when I’m starving hahaha I get super angry :P

13. theragingcook February 26, 2013 at 10:21 pm Reply

Collingwood is slightly outta the way for me, but heck, the burgers look like they’ll be well worth the additional ten minute trek outside of the city!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 3:58 pm Reply

I know it’s a bit outta your way but it’s really worth it :) so give it a shot sometime ~

14. thehungerpangs February 26, 2013 at 10:47 pm Reply

No way, Dr Pepper sauce?! That’s awesome. Shame the panna cotta wasn’t as wobbly and you wanted it to be, but it still looks pretty great :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm Reply

I know right! Panna cottas need to be super smooth and wobbly but doesn’t matter :) I’ll still go back for their yummy burgers ~

15. gourmetgetaway February 27, 2013 at 11:52 am Reply

I should not be reading this while I am so hungry…. you are killing me, the burgers and the onion rings look amazing!
    Mr Boa ate a leftover burger for breaky??? That sounds like Mr GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 4:01 pm Reply

Awww sorry Julie! Food blogs are the worse when you’re hungry hehe ~ the onion rings were definitely good! Loved it :) Mr Bao didn’t eat a left over burger he ordered another one hahaha

16. milkteaxx February 27, 2013 at 11:58 am Reply

i didn’t make it here! damn! im coming back just for this!

17. ironchefshellie February 27, 2013 at 1:40 pm Reply

mmmmm looks bloody good there. I must must must go!!

18. catty February 27, 2013 at 3:43 pm Reply

The burger here has been recommended to me and is on my list of Melb eats. Good to know it’s so good Mr Bao got one take away!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 4:05 pm Reply

Yup he’s crazy hahhaa you have to come try :) let me know when you’re down again and I’ll take you to all the burger joints!

19. Ashley February 27, 2013 at 9:40 pm Reply

Oh my goosssh, those onion rings! Want! I have a completely different problem with Brad! I won’t know where to go…and he really doesn’t really care where we go! So I’m always complaining at him to help me choose a place and he never does!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm Reply

Hahaha I’m not sure if that’s better or having someone argue with me :) But hey at least we have a good partner who’s happy to eat most things and aren’t complaining hehe ~

20. libishski February 28, 2013 at 7:01 pm Reply

Hahaha hey, I sometimes eat steak for breakfast so Ricky having a breakfast burger doesn’t really surprise me (still funny though).

I need to come here to try the burger you had. Looks soooo good and better than the sliders I had at Merrywell last night (nice enough but didn’t blow me away :/)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm Reply

Hahhaha steak for breakfast? really LOL that’s so funny You don’t look like a steak for breakfast type of girl :P But I’m not judging it’s just weird and funny hahaha

You have to come! I think it’s heaps better than Merrywell!!! :D

• libishski March 2, 2013 at 12:27 pm Reply

Yeah, my workmate Sean and I are into the whole paleo eating thing (sort of). Went through a phase where we were both eating steaks for breakfast, oysters for morning tea from the market and we sometimes snack on beef jerky during the day! Yep, weird!

If it’s better than Merrywell, then I’m definitely going to give it a go!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:25 pm Reply

Ahhh that’s why :) I’ve thought about trying the Paleo diet but it seems hard and I love sugar and yoghurt and all those processed non paleo things too much :P

21. ChopinandMysaucepan February 28, 2013 at 7:41 pm Reply

Dear Daisy,

I know what it feels like when 2 people are undecided on where to go for dinner. I would normally narrow it down to what particular dish that we want to eat and try and work it out from there though it’s not always in concurrence. I think you made the right decision judging by the looks of that smash burger and rib sandwich. Mr Bao, don’t argue coz she’s always correct! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:26 pm Reply

Thanks for the comment :) I’m not always right hahaha but I try to be reasonable ~

22. msihua (@msihua) March 2, 2013 at 7:26 pm Reply

Awesome! I need to get here pronto!

23. Sarah March 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm Reply

Aaah! I’ve wanted to go here for ages and now I’ll have to do it really soon! I love the look of the soft-and-shiny burger buns!! :)

24. Nami | Just One Cookbook March 8, 2013 at 5:27 am Reply

Daisy I was about to tell you about the pictures and I saw the paragraph about the DSLR. The pictures are really good and now you will torture us even more with a good camera!!! ;)