Giant Matcha Fondant – The Steakhouse Winebar + Grill

Dear Readers, do you get post-holiday blues? Sighhh even though I’ve been back in Melbourne for about 3 weeks, have gone back to work and everything is slowly reverting back to ‘normal’…I can’t help but feel a little sad that my holidays have ended :( Whenever I miss my holidays I go back through my photos because the somehow comfort me, that’s why I realised…more than 80% of my photos are of food and mainly photos of dessert :P

The Steakhouse Winebar + Grill at Intercontinental Hotel

The Steakhouse Winebar + Grill at Intercontinental Hotel

I then realised I hadn’t blogged about the Giant Matcha Fondant I had at The Steakhouse Winebar + Grill :) I first saw the picture of the gigantic matcha fondant from Chocolate Mui Mui’s Instagram (she’s a food blogger based in HK and like me LOVES desserts :D) I immediately left her a message and told her to take me there as soon as I landed in HK!

A couple of days after I arrived, I gathered a few blogging friends HK Epicurus, Yoni and Sai and off went to The Steakhouse for desserts. As the name of the restaurant suggests, its steakhouse on the basement level of the Intercontinental Hotel, however, on the side, they have a bar area where it’s quieter and customers can sit down have a drink and order DESSERTS :D

Matcha Fondant $280HKD  ($35AUD) +10% service charge

Matcha Fondant $280HKD ($35AUD) +10% service charge

This is the Giant Matcha Fondant! It’s actually much bigger in real life than it appears in this photo ~ The chef had trouble making the fondant though something about it breaking when they were trying to remove it from the cake tin and the waitress said that they weren’t able to make another one. But after some persuasion and I may have yelled out “But I came all the way from Melbourne just to try this!” the chef tried again and it worked YAY!

Chocolate Mui Mui cutting it professionally :D

Chocolate Mui Mui cutting it professionally :D

Now time for that MONEY shot where the lava oozes out! We left this important task to the very capable hands of Chocolate Mui Mui who has had this a couple of times already ~ She very gently cut a tiny piece out and immediately green goodness seeps out.

Oozing out

I love this picture :) Even seeing it makes me want to eat it all over again! The matcha fondant is also topped with a red bean ice-ceam. In terms of flavour and texture, the outer sponge cake has a strong matcha flavour which wasn’t over powering or too bitter. While the filing was a mixture of white chocolate and matcha powder, it was sweet with notes of matcha. When combined with the red bean ice-cream, I think I have officially gone to matcha heaven!

Chocolate Brownie $280HKD ($35AUD) + 10% service charge

Chocolate Brownie $280HKD ($35AUD) + 10% service charge

We couldn’t leave with just one dessert ~ So we tried the Chocolate Brownie as well. It seems like all desserts here are super sized hahaha the chocolate brownie was so big, it was pretty much looked like a cake. The brownie topped with hot chocolate sauce, vanilla ice-cream and candied pecans.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Unfortunately, we were not as impressed with this dessert, the chocolate brownie itself was very dry and crumbly in texture. I prefer my brownies to be super moist and fudgey. it would’ve been much better if there was more chocolate sauce and caramel sauce to accompany with it :)

The matcha fondant was so good, I actually went back a couple of days later :P with another lot of friends hahaha

Once again the Giant Matcha Fondant

Once again the Giant Matcha Fondant

Still just as delicious! I have actually made it my New Years resolution to try and make this at home, so if you have any hints or tips please let me know :D

Bomb Alaska $280HKD ($35AUD) + 10% service charge

Mocha Alaska $280HKD ($35AUD) + 10% service charge

This time I convinced my other friends to try the Bombe Alaska ~ I didn’t get a chance to take a photo on my camera, so apologies for the bad iPhone quality photo. Underneath the sweet merengue that was lit on fire in front of us, it had coffee ice-cream, chocolate ice-cream and a chocolate sauce accompanied with a Tia Maria sauce on the side. I really liked the coffee and chocolate ice-cream, while I found the chocolate sponge to be a little dry again but the Tia Maria sauce helped.

I don’t think I need to do anymore persuading :P Trust me if you like matcha flavoured desserts you will LOVE the matcha fondant so what are you waiting for :) Go try it out if you’re in HK and if you’re going definitely put it on your list!!!

The Steakhouse Winebar + Grill
18 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui
Kowloon, Hong Kong
PH:(+852) 2721 1211

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

37 thoughts on “Giant Matcha Fondant – The Steakhouse Winebar + Grill

1. Choc Chip Uru February 18, 2013 at 3:38 pm Reply

The desserts are absolutely looks brilliant my friend, what a delicious eatery :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 2:58 pm Reply

It was truly amazing to have such a large matcha fondant hehe :) I was totally amazed! really hope I can replicate it at home now ~

2. Peach February 18, 2013 at 3:46 pm Reply

WAHHHHH~~
    You are totally the Dessert/Sweet Queen aren’t you?! :D

Well, I have to admit, I’m no fan of matcha tbh. I don’t like the bitter after taste to it.. or “garm” as you would say in Chinese.

But man, that chocolate brownie looks AMAZING :D omnom :)

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 18, 2013 at 5:21 pm Reply

Wow that is a large fondant-you can see when it is compared to the hand cutting it! I find them so risky when taking them out of the tin although I had read that most places do a back up one in case it doesn’t come out right. Perhaps they didn’t want to at that size.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 2:59 pm Reply

Yeah I think that’s their probably because the chef had actually tried twice before the waitress came out and told us that they weren’t able to make it for me :( But eventually they tried again and it worked YAY! I agree fondants are so delicate, I always seem to break at least one of them when I make them at home hahhaa

4. Ali February 18, 2013 at 9:35 pm Reply

Wow! That matcha fondant looks amazing! And that brownie is the biggest brownie I have ever seen…shame that it didn’t taste the best.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm Reply

I agree it’s a shame that the brownie wasn’t as good :( because I’m a fan of brownies and it was quite spectacular when they brought it out ~

5. hotlyspiced February 18, 2013 at 10:27 pm Reply

Well…I have never had a matcha flavoured dessert before and I’m feeling like I must have been living under a mushroom. What a gorgeous looking image as the lava flows from the cake. I do love the look of the Bombe Alaska but what a shame it was dry xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm Reply

Awww you don’t need to feel embarassed because you’ve never had a matcha dessert, it’s fine :) It’s a very Asian flavour it’s like most of my friends haven’t tried Pandan either hehe so it’s completely understandable. Hmmmm I think matcha is one of those things, you either like it or you don’t ~ The bombe alaska was good just the sponge was dry which always bothers me >_< xox

6. Norma Chang February 19, 2013 at 12:11 am Reply

Oh yea, I get the holidays blues and the winter blues too. Your photos just cheered up my cold winter morning.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm Reply

I’m glad my photos cheered you up Norma :) It’s funny because it’s boiling over here in Melbourne while it’s so cold in NY hehe ~

7. kellysiew February 19, 2013 at 3:56 am Reply

Hehehehe I came across a video of the lava oozing out, this fondant looks completely nuts! And AUD35 wow not cheap at all. Looking forward to you making it hehehe.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 3:04 pm Reply

I’ve had a look at that video too hahha quite impressive :P

I thought it was quite expensive too but I shared it with a few friends so that wasn’t too bad :D I really hope I succeed!

• kellysiew February 19, 2013 at 7:05 pm Reply

Have you found a recipe yet?

8. Christine (@cookingcrusade) February 19, 2013 at 10:26 am Reply

Woaaah it’s massive!!!!! It looks amazing (love the matcha ooze! hehe!) and the brownie is also sooo huge too. A shame it wasn’t the best but I do love the super pretty caramel swirls on the plate too! I hate the come-down from holidays. I’m counting down the days to my Japan trip (38 days to go! haha!) and already I’m dreading coming back LOL

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply

WOO HOO :D I’m so excited for you! You’re going to Japan!!! My boyfriend has been talking about Japan for the longest time, but we haven’t made it there yet together lol we’ll have to plan it ~ I think the best way is to plan another holiday when you already have one planned hahaha

I love either MASSIVE or TINY desserts hahaha normal sized ones are kinda boring now :P

• Christine (@cookingcrusade) February 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm Reply

teehee I am crazy about planning my holidays. I practically have my whole year mapped out already LOL. after this trip, hoping to do my first island cruise and then maybe HK in oct. i would do more.. if only i had more annual leave dangit!!! (also money. lots of money haha)

9. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) February 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm Reply

WOW!!!
    These are all HUGE desserts! You could not go there on your own or you would end up in a sugar coma for a week!!
    All the desserts looks so yummy too, even the dry fudge :0!!!

I have a lava cake recipe on my website that is really easy and works every time, maybe you could substitute white chocolate for regular chocolate and and the matcha instead of some of the flour or almond meal??

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 19, 2013 at 3:07 pm Reply

Hahaha my friends and I talked about it and I think I could do a whole matcha fondant by myself! I really think i can :P But I’m yet to try that!

Ohhh I’m definitely going to have to check out your lava cake recipe and will have to play around with the quantities of flour and matcha I put it :D I find it quite difficult to find a recipe for it online >_<

10. Yi @ Yi Resevation February 19, 2013 at 3:30 pm Reply

that matcha fondant looks absolutely delicious. Will have to try this next time I am in HK. Great review on the desserts!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 20, 2013 at 9:04 am Reply

You definitely have to try this next time you go to HK :) it’s really fantastic! When do you think you will go? :)

11. catty February 19, 2013 at 5:23 pm Reply

That matcha fondant looks amazing! I’m the opposite to you .. i hate looking at holiday pics cos it makes me sadder. sometimes it takes me 6 months or longer before i go look at the pics and sort them out haha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 20, 2013 at 9:03 am Reply

Hhahaha wow 6 months that’s too long :( LOL I’ll feel even worse then when I look at the photos, I’d want to go back to that place already ~ I really hope I’m able to replicate this at home soon hehe

12. thehungerpangs February 19, 2013 at 10:05 pm Reply

Oh. My. Goodness. What an epic dessert! I love matcha-flavoured anything :)

13. Sarah February 20, 2013 at 7:32 am Reply

Omg that fondant! Looks so good! I hope you manage to recreate it in your own kitchen *ahem* *ahem* :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 20, 2013 at 9:02 am Reply

it was seriously GOOD! I’m still searching for the perfect recipe and then i’m going to do some trial and error at home :D will let you know when I succeed hehe ~

14. Libby February 20, 2013 at 11:32 am Reply

I love matcha anything and that fondant looks CRAZY AWESOME! Oh my!

15. Nic@diningwithastud February 27, 2013 at 9:48 am Reply

OMG that fondant! Its….its……I want it!!!

16. Ashley February 27, 2013 at 9:55 pm Reply

Wow how lovely! Would love to be able to go out just to have dessert! Really an amazing looking dessert, so lucky it came out well the second time round! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet March 2, 2013 at 8:37 pm Reply

I was so relieved as well!!! I was so worried that I’d have to leave without trying this massive fondant :D

17. msihua (@msihua) March 2, 2013 at 7:27 pm Reply

WOAH! That macha looked amazing!

18. […] do it reasonably well at home, would be a matcha fondant, do you remember the giant one I had at Intercontinental Hotel at the start of the year? This was definitely much smaller but still just as […]

19. […] going to be sweet after long discussions we decided to remake the Giant Matcha Fondant I had at the Intercontinental Hotel in Hong Kong Because its everything I love in one dessert! I’ve made it before, but never has it really […]