HK Delights – Happy Chinese New Year 2013

Kung Hei Fat Choi! In the year of the Snake!

Kung Hei Fat Choi! In the year of the Snake!

Happy Chinese New Year! Kung Hei Fat Choi in the year of the Snake :D Wishing you all a prosperous, happy and healthy new year! It’s time to say goodbye to the Dragon and welcome the Snake! Do you celebrate Chinese New Year (CNY)?

Being alone in Melbourne with Mr Bao and no family, we didn’t plan anything for CNY and decided to just go with the flow :) We do miss celebrating with family, having a huge feast together and receiving lots of red packets (envelope with money inside ;) )

Because of CNY, I was inspired to write a post about the HK street food I was indulging in :D Really sorry, but I didn’t manage to get the price and address of every item, but if you go to HK, these can be easily found on the streets especially in Mong Kok.

Rice Noodle Roll (Chu Cheong Fun) $12HK ($1.50AUD)

Rice Noodle Roll (Chu Cheong Fun) $12HK ($1.50AUD) found at snack food stores

As soon as I arrived in HK, my parents bought me these delicious Chu Cheong Fun otherwise known as Rice noodle rolls. The ones we get at Yum Cha usually have a filling such as BBQ pork (char siu), prawns or beef. But these are plain rice noodles rolls cut into little pieces and covered in the best sauces Hoi Sin Sauce, Sesame Sauce, Soy Sauce, Sweet Chilli Sauce and toasted sesame. It’s a really simple dish and very cheap to make and buy, but it’s SO damn good :D I love the rustic way they wrap the cheong fun in butchers paper and in a plastic bad, and you eat them with bamboo skewers!

Curry Fish Balls $8HKD ($1AUD)

Curry Fish Balls $8HKD ($1AUD) found from snack food stores

One afternoon, Dad took me out on a ‘Street Food’ raid in Jordan, and the first thing I got was the Curry Fish Balls. If you grew up in HK, I’m sure you have had you fair share of curry fish balls :) These fish balls were hot, spicy and super bouncy hehe it’s very hard to find these kind of fish balls outside of Australia. If you grew up in HK I’m sure you have had your fair share of curry fish balls, do you remember when they use to be sold in those carts on the streets? Unfortunately, due to hygene factors theres a lot less of them around on the streets now :(

"Soup Dumpling" Guan Tang Jiao available from most Yum Cha outlets

“Soup Dumpling” Guan Tang Jiao available from most Yum Cha outlets

Yum Cha in Australia is pretty good so I don’t have much to complain about that ~ but I do miss Soup Dumplings or they are called ‘Guan Tang Jiao’ in Chinese :) It may seen strange to some but basically the Soup Dumpling is literally placing a dumpling with chicken, mushroom and prawn filling into a bowl of soup. It’s a very comforting dish ~

Retro Vitasoy milk $7.9HKD ($1AUD)Retro Vitasoy milk $7.9HKD ($1AUD)

Retro Vitasoy milk $7.9HKD ($1AUD) available at 7/11 and other convenience stores

Dad then got me this retro Vitasoy milk in a glass bottle that was slightly warmed in hot water. Dad was also telling me how these retro Vitasoys use to be 20c HKD hahaha and now have increased to $7.9HKD ~ I’m not usually a fan of the Vitasoy in the paper packs, but something about the glass bottle really made it taste better, a much stronger soy taste.

Red Bean Icy Pole $6HK ($0.80AUD)

Red Bean Icy Pole $6HK ($0.80AUD) available at 7/11 and Supermarkets

On our way home one day, we saw a street store selling ice-cream and other sweets, Dad immediately pulled over and bought two Red Bean Icy Poles :D These are his favourite ~ if you like red bean desserts, you’ll definitely like this, it’s not too sweet with crushes red bean throughout the icy pole.

HK Style Baked Sweet Potato $15HKD ($1.8AUD)

HK Style Baked Sweet Potato $15HKD ($1.8AUD) found on the street

This may not look that attractive, but I love these HK style baked sweet potato :) I’m not sure how they ‘baked’ whether they used charcoal or something else. But the sweet potatoes are a different variety than the ones we get in Australia, I found them to be much sweeter. They occasionally have the purple sweet potatoes too ~ but I didn’t see them this time.

Cocktail Buns approximately $8HKD ($1AUD)

Cocktail Buns approximately $8HKD ($1AUD) available from most HK bakeries

Even though, I love my artisan breads, I occasionally do crave HK style bakeries, the breads are simply different with a much lighter texture. My favourite are these cocktail buns with a sweet coconut filling! Thankfully we can get these here in Melbourne Bread Top and they’re not that bad either ~

Silken Tofu (Tofu far) $9HKD ($1.1AUD)

Sweet beancurd (Tofu far) $9HKD ($1.1AUD) from Kung Wo Dou Bun

I’m very lucky because there’s an amazing store that sells Tofu Far, Kung Wo Dou Bun which I’ve blogged about ~ It quite sad because I haven’t found tofu far that I really like in Melbourne, it’s all made from powder and gelatine. While the ones in HK are made from soy milk and has a strong soy flavour.

Egg Waffle $12HKD (($.150AUD) and Pearl Milk Tea $15HKD($1.90AUD)

Egg Waffle $12HKD (($.150AUD) and Pearl Milk Tea $15HKD($1.90AUD) available from  snack food stores

Egg waffles are probably the most famous HK street snack, they’re called egg waffles I assume because of their bubble shape. It’s got a pretty unique texture, I love the ones that are freshly made, super hot, crispy and a pillowy inside :) Unfortunately, it’s quite hard to find fresh and delicious egg waffles now in HK, but if you’re lucky you’ll find them in Jordan and Mongkok ~

Pearl Milk Tea originated from Taiwan, and many Milk Tea outlets such as Gong Cha, Chatime and Comebuy have opened in HK basically every corner. I personally think they taste better than the ones we get in Melbourne and very similar to the ones made in Taiwan :)

HK Style Waffle $12HKD ($1.5AUD) found from snack food outlets

HK Style Waffle $12HKD ($1.5AUD) found from snack food outlets

These HK Style Waffles go hand in hand with the Egg Waffles :) Most people either like one or the other like me BOTH hehe These waffles have a very spongey texture and not at all crispy, and you can see it is folded in half, because inside its slathered with generous amounts of peanut butter, condensed milk and sprinkle of caster sugar! It’s SO hard to find HK waffles now :( most places are very stingy with the spread or have pre-made the waffles and hence, they’re quite dry and stiff. But if you manage to find these, trust me you will LOVE them!

Tai Cheong Bakery

Tai Cheong Bakery

Last but not least Egg Tarts! Egg Tarts! Egg Tarts! I had so many of them in HK this time :D

Tai Cheong Egg Tarts $5HKD ($0.8AUD)

Tai Cheong Egg Tarts $5HKD ($0.8AUD)

In my opinion, Tai Cheong Bakery probably makes the best egg tarts in HK ~ I love the biscuit/short bread crust and not the flakey puff pastry (I’m weird :P) While the filling has a rich egg flavour and very silky texture. They’re even better when they’re fresh out of the oven, luckily, there are now many Tai Cheong Egg Tarts and most make yummy egg tarts. But if you can I would recommend you going to their main store in Central and see if you can catch some freshly baked ones.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and it wasn’t too random for you :) Once again sorry for not being able to provide you with the exact address of all the places to get the food. But if you do happen to travel to HK and would like some advice please feel free to email me and I’d be more than happy to help you!

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

39 thoughts on “HK Delights – Happy Chinese New Year 2013

1. leaf (the indolent cook) February 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm Reply

Though I haven’t been to HK, many of the foods here are familiar to me. Yummy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 9:04 am Reply

Really? You must have had similar snacks before hehe its so yummy! :D

2. Kevin February 11, 2013 at 6:56 pm Reply

Gee. I so want to fly back next week justlooking at the photos.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 9:21 am Reply

Ohh are you originally from Hong Kong as well? :) It makes me nostalgic too seeing photos of these snack foods hehe

• Kevin February 12, 2013 at 7:26 pm Reply

Not quite, but I spent some years there when I was younger and recently as well.

• Kevin February 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm Reply

Not quite, but I spent some years there when I was younger and was there recently.

3. Choc Chip Uru February 11, 2013 at 7:02 pm Reply

Happy Chinese New Year my friend, everything looks incredible :D

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 11:38 am Reply

Thank you my dear :) Hope you had a wonderful New Years too if you celebrate it ~ I’m glad you liked this post! Wasn’t sure if it was too weird hehe

4. Cupcake Crazy Gem February 11, 2013 at 7:06 pm Reply

Kung Hei Fat Choi Daisy! Hope you had a great time celebrating, despite being away from family (I know how that feels!) Those sweet potatoes look just like giant mangoes! haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 11:39 am Reply

Kung Hei Fat Choi as well Gem :) I had a great time celebrating it with Mr Bao and friends, I definitely miss my family and wish they were around but it’s still nice to see photos :D LOL Its my fault I think I used this filter on instagram which made the sweet potato look really yellow hahaha

5. hotlyspiced February 11, 2013 at 7:57 pm Reply

If I go to HK I’ll be sure to contact you for advice on where to stay. We don’t celebrate CNY (we don’t have an Asian bone in our bodies) but they did celebrate it at Alfie’s school where he had to wear read instead of school uniform and there were spring rolls on sale at the canteen! I’m tempted to celebrate CNY because those red envelopes sound really good! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 11:41 am Reply

You definitely need to let me know when you travel to HK Charlie :) I will be more than happy to help you and provide you with all the information I know hehe ~ Ohhh that’s nice that Alfie got to celebrate CNY at school, I remember school giving us spring rolls as well hahaha do you have a picture of Alfie in his red outfit?

6. Ali February 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm Reply

Happy Chinese New Year! I loved this post…all those foods look great…and I bet made you feel a bit homesick. Is Breadtop quite typical of the types of breads you would get in HK, or has it been Australianised! I quite like Breadtop…haven’t been in ages, though!
    Does Melbourne not have a part of the city that has any festivities for CNY? Adelaide has a bit of a street parade near the Central Markets…I’ve never been but always mean to. CNY often sneaks up on me and is here and gone before I’ve realised it.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 11:47 am Reply

Happy Chinese New Year Ali :) I’m so glad that you liked this post, I really wasn’t sure how you guys would react hahaha with just random photos of street food and having to see my fingers in nearly all the photos hahahahah

The bread sold in Breadtop isn’t that ‘Australianised’ to be honest :) They’ve done well with keeping the flavours and textures rather ‘Honkie’ if I may say so myself hehe they’re probably not as fresh as the ones we get in HK but still good enough :D

Melbourne had quite a few festivals for CNY but unfortunately, I didn’t get the chance to go this year, maybe next year ~

7. Norma Chang February 12, 2013 at 1:53 am Reply

Happy Chinese New Year to you and Mr. Bao. That quite a collection of street food you have assembled here.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 11:49 am Reply

Happy Chinese New Year too Norma :) Hope you had a great one with family! I adore all types of street food especially the ones in HK and Taiwan hehe

8. Jeno @ Weeknite Meals February 12, 2013 at 5:36 am Reply

Happy CNY Daisy and Mr Bao! Man if I live at Hong Kong I would be HUGE! I absolutely love street foods, though here at Houston there really isn’t such a thing, now a days they have Food Trucks which is similar in ideas, but I only eat those when we travel out of the city. YUm!!!!!

9. Tina @ bitemeshowme February 12, 2013 at 10:16 am Reply

Happy New Year to you and the boy Daisy. Sad that you didn’t get to spend it with family, but at least you saw them a couple weeks earlier. I need to get myself to HK. I hear shopping and food is amazing!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 12, 2013 at 11:50 am Reply

Happy New Year dear :) I know it’s annoying working overseas without family that’s ones of the disadvantages but hey at least I still went eating non-stop hahaha and I got photos and Facetime with my family :D

I think you will love Hong Kong definitely good for shopping and food!!! Let me know when you go ~

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 12, 2013 at 5:56 pm Reply

These are my favourite Asian sweets in one post! I love red bean ices-although sometimes friends just don’t understand :P Happy New Year Daisy and Mr Bao! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:34 pm Reply

Thanks Lorraine :) Hope you had a great CNY with family and friends too ~ hahhaha my friends don’t understand the love for red bean desserts either hehe

11. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) February 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm Reply

Happy Year of the Snake to you, Ricky and your family!!

Everything you shown here are all my favourite!! How unfair that You got to eat them all in one single visit! I remember trying to hunt them down each time we went back; and could only succeeded in finding some of them but never half as many as you’d managed!!

Next time when I go back to HK, I may ask you for a list to save my time ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm Reply

Thank you Jane :) wishing you a very prosperous year with your family too :D

Awww what a shame you couldn’t find all these snacks last time you went to Hong Kong, please let me know when you’re going back and I will give you a list and addresses of where to go to find them :D

Hope we go back to HK at around the same time hehe ~

12. milkteaxx February 12, 2013 at 10:18 pm Reply

this post makes me miss hk so much! i want to go back now! and i like the malt vitasoy too! love how they have it warmed in winter!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:36 pm Reply

I know what you mean :) I miss HK heaps too even though I just got back a couple of weeks ago hehe ~ the malt vitasoy just tastes heaps better over in HK than the ones we get here!

13. Linda | The Urban Mrs February 13, 2013 at 4:07 am Reply

Yum! I feel like going back to HK all over again. I used to go there a lot when I was little since my relatives live there, and I recently visited them in 2012. So, this definitely brought back all those delicious memories. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm Reply

Niceee :) Hong Kong is definitely a great place to visit for food and SHOPPING hehe ~ I love going back to see family and being able to indulge in these street foods!
      Hope you had a lovely CNY with family and friends!

14. Catherine February 13, 2013 at 9:10 am Reply

Gong hei fat choi Daisy! I never got to experience HK properly so I’m a little sad looking through your photos, I must ask you for some recs next time I go though. Wishing you a prosperous happy new year :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:38 pm Reply

Ohh shame you didn’t get to experience HK properly last time, doesn’t matter next time you go, you let me know and I’ll give you a tailor made foodie tour guide :D

Wishing you the very best in the snake YEAR!

15. Hannah February 13, 2013 at 10:26 am Reply

Red bean icypole! That’s for me fo’sure.

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook February 14, 2013 at 4:13 pm Reply

Oh I know what you mean. It sucks to be away from family when it’s the biggest celebration with family. Every New Year (Japanese celebrate regular new year) I feel out of it because it’s supposed to be a huge celebration for 2-3 days but it’s a typical day in the US (party ends on 31st.). Hope you didn’t feel homesick too much. All the food looks yummy. I’d go crazy and miss all the food once I start thinking about it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm Reply

Hi Nami :) I’m doing alright being away from family, I’m slowly getting use to it and even though it is quite sad ~ with the internet it makes it much easier to send each other photos and vidoes so it’s all good :D

I would love to have a much longer holiday like they do in Asia though hahaha my sisters got 5 days off work this year!

And I think I’m starting to REALLY miss the food!!! LOL

17. Julie February 15, 2013 at 3:56 pm Reply

argg I need to go >_< lol. Gong he fat choy again Daisy ^_^

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:49 pm Reply

Thanks dear :) You will have so much fun in HK! Let me know when you go!

18. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) February 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm Reply

Oh Daisy all the food looked just wonderful!!! I can’t get over how cheap and delicious everything looks, I am so pleased you shared your HK Street food experience with us.

Oh and Happy Chinese New Year!!
    I will have to add Hong Kong to my travel list for this year ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 16, 2013 at 1:50 pm Reply

The food in HK is amazing and I think you will really like it ~ Hope you make it to HK soon and definitely let me know in advice so I can help you plan where to go and what to eat hehe :D

19. Christine (@cookingcrusade) February 19, 2013 at 11:00 am Reply

So much amazing deliciousness to be found! I’m hoping to head there this year so very glad to see all of this you had. Ps. LOVE your nails! so cute!

20. Linda October 6, 2014 at 5:20 am Reply

Wow – great list. I don’t think there much to add…..except currry squid (next to the curry fishballs).