Vegetarian Friendly – Lord Of The Fries

A few months ago, before I left for HK, Kathyrn from Lord Of The Fries (LOTF) invited me to their tasting event and that they have a vegan chocolate mousse waiting for me ~ I had never tried LOTF so thought it’ll be nice to try it out and there was dessert :P LOL I love how everyone knows dessert and sweets are my weakness. It was a plus-one event so automatically, I was going to invite Mr Bao. But then I realised from Kathyn’s email that LOTF was a fully vegetarian fast-food store with vegan options. Now Dear Readers do you remember the LAST time I took Mr Bao to a vegetarian-only restaurant at Trippy Taco? He was so depressed and cranky afterwards, I have vowed to never let that happen again :P

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I wasn’t sure who I was going to invite, but then a light-bulb went off and I knew who would LOVE this event, Miss D. Who I think is my only close friend who is a vegetarian and she’s told me how much she loves LOTF especially their chicken nuggets ~

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The event was held on a weeknight at their Fitzroy store and we immediately felt like VIP’s when we got there as the store was closed for us :) I did feel slightly out of place as most bloggers there were vegetarian and vegan bloggers, I think I was the only ‘ominivore’ blogger :P I did meet the lovely Adele from Vegie Head, I had no idea that there were vegan and paleo recipes ~

Other Vegetarian and Vegan Bloggers :)

Other Vegetarian and Vegan Bloggers :)

Upon walking in, Kathyrn greeted us and immediately introduced us to the owners Mark and Sam, then led us to our table where we got a booth to ourselves ~ We noticed that they already had all their sauces laid out on the table. Miss D was a veteran and started telling me the ones she’s tried and the ones that were her favourite.

Different types of sauces

Different types of sauces

They wasted no time and immediately a bowl of fresh fries appeared in front of us and we immediately started to dip in the different types of sauces. The fries were the thick cut style that was piping hot, crunchy and not greasy :) I think my favourite sauces would have to be the Parisian sauce which is their aioli garlic mayo, it was seriously smooth, creamy and addictive :) Then it was followed up by the Thai Sauce which was a golden satay sauce. Miss D really liked the American which had a Southern BBQ flavour and also the Indian Sauce which was a spicy mango chutney with sour cream.

Lord Of The "Fries"

Lord Of The “Fries”

Next up was the onion rings, I immediately thought of Anonymous Sister, because she’s a bit of a health freak and doesn’t eat much fried food, but onion rings is one of the only fried things she’ll eat ~ I think these would have got her approval, they were crispy on the outside but still soft in the inside.

Onion Rings

Onion Rings

I was intrigued when they brought out these Chilli Poppers, I have never had these before and was worried that they were going to be too hot and burn my tongue. Turns out that they were quite mild and I really liked these deep fried chillis!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Hahaha I showed Mr Bao a picture of these and he said “I am NOT eating one of those, glad I didn’t go to this event’ LOL he’s a chicken :P

Inside the Chilli Popper

Inside the Chilli Popper

Then it was Miss D’s absolute favourite and something she gets all the time and that was the LOTF Nuggets. These are mock chicken nuggets and are made from soy and fried in butter until golden brown. I was truly impressed by not only the taste but also the texture, it really had that ‘chicken’ nugget texture! If I hadn’t known better, I think I would have thought these were chicken nugget of some sort.

LOTF Nugget

LOTF Nugget

Both Miss D and I were so stuffed, but the food wouldn’t stop coming and it was time for burgers. Before coming I had no idea that LOTF’s burger were vegetarian one a veggie patty, I always thought it was any regular fast-food joint which served beef or meat patties.

Mini Original Burger

Mini Original Burger

The Original burger had a LOFT veggie patty, lettuce and Belgian mayo, I’m not too sure what made the veggie patty, but I assume it was soy, flour and maybe beans? It’s definitely does not taste or have the texture of a real meat patty, but it has good flavours and I think it’s a good substitute for vegetarians ~

Tijuana Hot Dog

Tijuana Hot Dog

This was the Tijuana Hot Dog with a veggie dog and jalapenos, cheese, onion, sour cream, spicy ketchup and mustard. Unfortunately, I wasn’t a fan of this hot dog, I thought the flavours were quite nice and the texture of the dog reminded me of tofu, but I didn’t really like the jalapenos and the spicy ketchup. Maybe I’m just being weird about because others seemed to enjoy it :)

Vegan Chocolate Mousse

Vegan Chocolate Mousse

After all that food, it was finally time for dessert ~ they only have dessert on their menu but it was enough to entice me :) It was a vegan chocolate mousse and the owner Mark told it it’s the same recipe post in the New York Times, and that they don’t really make any money from it. As they use the best chocolate and silken tofu they can find.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I was definitely surprised and impressed that this was a vegan chocolate mousse, it had the silkiest texture and deep rich chocolate flavours. And because it was made with tofu it had gave it a unique nutty aftertaste. Hannah (Wayfaring Chocolate) I think you will be proud that I actually liked a vegan dessert ;)

Mark and Sam owners of LOTF

Mark and Sam owners of LOTF

Before the wonderful event ended, we got the chance to speak to Mark and Sam owners and founders of LOTF. The original concept  came about when Mark and his wife Mandy were living in Taiwan and they were fed up with the frozen fries, therefore, started making their own fries. They then moved back to Australia and shared their idea with Mark’s brother Sam and in 2005 they opened up their first store in Melbourne :) Fast-foreward 8 years LOTF has become one of the most popular vegan and vegetarian friendly fast-food stores ~

Would like to thank LOTF for inviting me and Miss D to their event, it was a wonderful experience. But to be honest, I was slightly skeptical about the food at LOTF before attending, as I am so ignorant about vegan and vegetarian foods. But now I know vegetarian food can also be very tasty like the chicken nuggets and the chilli poppers :) And I’m definitely going to have to reconsider vegan desserts and I have convinced myself that they’re better for us and hence I can have more :P

Daisy and Miss D @Nevertoosweet dined at Lord Of The Fries as guests of LOTF and Keep Left, however, review and opinions are honest and based on personal taste and preferences.

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

23 thoughts on “Vegetarian Friendly – Lord Of The Fries

1. kellysiew February 3, 2013 at 11:37 pm Reply

Frank would have loved this place but it didn’t cross my mind to actually bring him there. I shall make that vegan mousse too, looks good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 3, 2013 at 11:42 pm Reply

You’ve definitely gotta bring Frank next time! It’ll be kind of like heaven for him :) I’m sure you’ll make a smashing vegan mousse too ~ when are you coming back?!?!

• kellysiew February 4, 2013 at 12:10 am Reply

When the finances allow, so far haven’t planned anything yet. :P

2. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) February 4, 2013 at 4:14 am Reply

Hi Daisy, it was so lovely meeting up with you in London though it was only brief. Hopefully the next time when we meet up, we can spend more time together. Thank you for all your lovely gifts and for buying the pen for me. I haven’t had a chance to use it yet, will definitely let you know how I get on with it as soon as my present one needs to be replaced.

Do they mainly sell fried food? Is that why they called ‘Lord of the fries’? My friend would love to have one of these restaurants near where she lives ;p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 4, 2013 at 10:34 am Reply

Hi Jane :) Totally agree that it was a wonderful meet up and even though it was a short visit we still had heaps of fun! I am going to try my best to come and visit you again next year!! :)

I really hope the pen works for you and if there are any issues please let me know and I will see if I can get the company to send you another one or something :)

This place mainly sells fried food like any other fast food store, but their whole menu is vegetarian and vegan friend ~ It’s pretty impressive hehe

3. Choc Chip Uru February 4, 2013 at 6:09 am Reply

That mousse looks so rich and delicious and the whole vibe of this place is brilliant!

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 4, 2013 at 10:34 am Reply

It definitely was rich and delicious :) You should try making it at home hehe

4. The Life of Clare February 4, 2013 at 6:13 am Reply

This sounds delicious! I love veg/vegan restaurants! And it all looks so familiar and similar to meat produces. I’d love to check out the rest of their menu.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 4, 2013 at 10:35 am Reply

You definitely need to try it out next time you come to Melbourne ~ they’re products have definitely impressed me :)

5. Hannah February 4, 2013 at 11:31 am Reply

Babe so proud!! And it made me laugh out loud to see your shout-out, because I was just composing in my head a comment that said EXACTLY that I’m proud of you and so wish I could’ve been your +1 ;) xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 5, 2013 at 10:17 am Reply

HAHAHA I HAD to give you a shout out :) Because I was thinking of you when eating this hehe ~ I was definitely impressed and gonna try other vegan desserts now :D Hope you’ll come visit me in Melbourne soon lovely!

• Hannah February 5, 2013 at 10:30 am Reply

Ah…. soon? You do remember I live in Canada now, right?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 5, 2013 at 10:31 am Reply

Of course :) you’re living the dream there but i’m just being hopeful soon as in the near future maybe or hey i might come visit you in Canada ~ xox

• Hannah February 5, 2013 at 10:47 am Reply

YES COME VISIT I WANT VISITORS! :P

6. Norma Chang February 4, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply

I don’t do fried foods but would love to try that burger and mousse.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 5, 2013 at 10:18 am Reply

It’s good that you don’t eat fried food it really isn’t good for you :) But I think you would have really liked the mousse hehe ~

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella February 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm Reply

I really want to try their version of poutine! :D

8. gourmetgetaway February 4, 2013 at 8:36 pm Reply

Fantastic! To be honest I avoid vegan… a vego restaurant I think okay yum and healthy… vegan, hmmm, this looked amazing, I loved the dipping sauces and the chilli peppers! I always stuff mine but these looked so good. Oh and I absolutely need to get a recipe for chocolate mousse and silken tofu… YUM!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 5, 2013 at 10:28 am Reply

I know exactly what you mean Julie! I always avoid them too :) That’s why I thought it was a good opportunity to try it out ~ and was definitely impressed with some of their dishes ~ I’ll try and find you a recipe and email it to you :) I think Lorraine might have made one a while ago?

9. hotlyspiced February 5, 2013 at 6:03 pm Reply

I do remember that post where you took the poor Mr Bao to a vegetarian restaurant. Very funny! But this place looks incredible. I love the look of this food and to me, if I was dining there, I’m sure I wouldn’t miss the meat. I’d love to try those chilli poppers xx

10. libishski February 7, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reply

Haha I’m STILL getting emails from Kathryn, asking me to come down to try LOTF. I will go once I’m over this stupid cold and when I’m not so busy!

11. Shara March 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm Reply

LotF is delicious and I’m so glad that they’re vegetarian/vegan =) It’s such a relief to know that they’re us friendly to eat.
    I just tried the chocolate mousse today and loved it, although by the time I ate it, it was chocolate mousse sauce. I’m a huge fan of their parma burger and the Indian sauce on the chips.

I recommend it to all my friends. The staff are so friendly and the food is extremely filling.