At Last – The Hummingbird Bakery

Hello Everyone :) I’m BACK! Sorry for the short hiatus! I have just got back from my trip to London and Paris with my sisters and on the night that I got back, my Dad had a really serious fall in the kitchen and fractured not one, not two but five bones in his rib cage :( It happened last at night and was so sudden, we immediately rushed him tot he hospital and I have never seen anyone in so much pain :'( But thankfully, after 2 days in the hospital Dad is out and even though still in a lot of pain, he’s home and resting. Really hope Dad will recover soon! Sighhh….it’s times like these, when I hate that I’m working overseas and not being able to spend more time with my family. Would also like to say Thank You to everyone who left a comment and message through Twitter, I really appreciate them :D

The Hummingbird Bakery

Anyhow, do you have a cookbook where you just got back to again and again? :)

Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook

The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook is definitely one of my favorites! I use their cupcake recipes all the time and their Red Velvet cupcake recipe has made me quite ‘popular’ amongst my friends hahaha where Mary has even asked me to bake her a whole dozen hehe :)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

For that reason, when I found out that we were going to London, I made both Win Win and Anonymous Sister promise that we ll make a trip to ‘The Hummingbird Bakery’. We got up bright and early and took a taxi to the Soho store, near Chinatown.

Red Velvet1

As soon as I arrived, I honestly could not wipe the massive grin on my face! I had been dreaming, hoping and praying that I ll get the chance to try the ‘REAL’ red velvet from the Hummingbird Bakery :D finally I have arrived!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Even though it was quite early in the morning, they had a variety of cupcakes, cakes and brownies for customers to choose from :)

Red Velvet Cupcake £3.15GBP dine-in ($4.72AUD)

Red Velvet Cupcake £3.15GBP dine-in ($4.72AUD)

I immediately ordered a red velvet cupcake to try! It was just as pretty as they are in the books, with that distinct swirl on top with red cupcake crumbs scattered over the top ~ lol sorry but I couldn’t help but be the biggest tourist and take a photo of me and the cupcake :p

photoNow to the taste test! *Drumroll’s* I carefully remove the white case and take a huge bite. I was waiting for the excitement! But was quite honestly very disappointed… The cream cheese frosting was just as creamy, sweet and fluffy as the ones I make using their recipe. However, the cupcake itself was very dry and crumbly, not at all moist or spongey as I expected.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It’s very disappointing because I have used their recipe so many times and it never fails >_< I m trying to convince myself that it’s because I set my expectations too high and maybe that’s why? Dearest Readers has anyone of you tried The Hummingbird Bakery cupcake and find it to be too dry?

Carrot Cupcake £3.30GBP ($4.95AUD)

Carrot Cupcake £2.75GBP dine-in ($4.12AUD)

I wasn’t discouraged and decided to try another cupcake, the carrot cupcake. Thankfully this did not disappoint me, in contrast it was moist and fluffy. You could also see the little bits of carrot inside the cupcake ;) I think the cream cheese frosting was the same as the one used for the red velvet cupcake. Sweet and smooth perfect march with the cupcake. Even though Win Win thought it was a little too sweet for her :P

Brownie Cheesecake £3.75GBP dine-in ($5.6AUD)

Brownie Cheesecake £4.25GBP take-away ($6.40AUD)

I couldn’t leave without trying one more thing! I wanted to try everything hahaha. Eventually decided on the cheesecake brownie as it seemed very popular with only two pieces left. I m not really sure why they called it a cheesecake brownie as it was very much a baked cheesecake with chocolate cake or cookies crumbles through it. I would decried it more as a Oreo cheesecake :) super rich and creamy! Hmmmm I can’t say I don’t like it… But I think I like cheesecakes that are firmer in texture and stronger cream cheese flavour.

Mocha £2.95GBP ($4.43AUD)

Mocha £2.95GBP ($4.43AUD)

Ending with my favorite mocha :) I had been warned by Yasmeen (Wandering Spice) not to drink coffee in Paris so decided to risk it and try it here in London. I was impressed with this mocha, quite thick in texture and rich in flavour both coffee and chocolate ~ yum!

Overall, my experience at The Hummingbird  Bakery has created mixed feelings. Maybe because I had really high expectations, I was disappointed by the dryness of the cupcake. I ve tried the recipe many times at home and it has never failed… Always produces moist and fluffy cupcakes >_< I think it’s quite sad when cupcakeries open too many stores and they are not able to keep the quality of their cupcakes. Especially when they have such a good recipe! However, I m not dishearten and will continue using their recipes and hopefully the next time I get to try The Hummingbird Bakery it will be better :D

Hummingbird Bakery
155 Wardour St
Soho, London
UK W1F 8
PH: (020) 7584 0055
Hummingbird Bakery on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

36 thoughts on “At Last – The Hummingbird Bakery

1. andy1076 January 24, 2013 at 3:50 pm Reply

I hope your dad has a speedy recovery by getting lots of rest, That’s the key after all.

What a yummy place, I don’t think I could hold back from trying everything lol :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 25, 2013 at 3:22 am Reply

Thank you Andy :D I really hope dad will feel better soon too ~ Fingers cross!

I know it was so hard to choose, but then at the same time the red velvet was really quite disappointing :(

2. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals January 24, 2013 at 4:37 pm Reply

Daisy, well wishes to your Dad, please tell him to be careful!

I believe I’ve heard of Hummingbird Bakery, or maybe I’ve stumbled upon their cookbook in the library. Sorry to hear the red velvet cupcake was not as expected, thank goodness the carrot cake one redeemed their reputation!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 25, 2013 at 3:24 am Reply

Thanks heaps Jeno :) We’re definitely trying out best to look after him, it’s just so hard to watch him in so much pain.

Yes, it definitely was a disappointment with their red velvet, especially since I love their recipe, I’m really trying to convince myself that they just had a bad ~

3. Choc Chip Uru January 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm Reply

My best to your dad my friend, I hope he gets better very very soon!

The hummingbird bakery is legendary my friend, that carrot cake looks ksfneiushr398u4308945ou – hard to describe in words ;)

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 11:56 am Reply

Thank you Uru :) Dad is slowly getting better YAY! I’m so glad the carrot cupcake was nice even though the red velvet was a bit of a disappointment ~

4. Cupcake Crazy Gem January 24, 2013 at 5:34 pm Reply

Daisy, I wish I’d known you were going to London! I could have given you a ton of awesome cupcakery recommendations…and not one of them would have been Hummingbird! because you’ve been polite about it, me on the other hand – well I think their cupcakes suck! Seriously, it makes me so mad that they have this big brand and people go nuts over them…I have never had a good cupcake there! and so a while back I abandoned them altogether, I had given them too many chances! a triple coconut cupcake special that was meant to be a coconut cucpake…have coconut frosting that tasted like vanilla was the last straw for me! I’ve had a few of their slices – brownies, rocky roads that have been tasty but these days I just don’t waste my money there!! Hope you had a good London trip regardless, and so sorry to hear about your Dad – I know how horrible it is to be far away from family when things are going on, you feel so helpless!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 3:15 pm Reply

Hi Gem :) I know so sorry I totally forgot to tell you that I was going to London, everything just happened too quickly and before I knew it I was in London :) Loved the city though and would love the chance to move their and experience life there!

I was totally disappointed with the Red Velvet at The Hummingbird Bakery! Because I love their recipe so it’s quite sad…but oh wells doesn’t matter at least the carrot cake was good and now I know to never go back :P next time I will definitely ask you for advice!

5. kellysiew January 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm Reply

Sorry to hear about your dad, hope he get well soon. Broken rib (worse when multiple of course) is a very painful affair, and the recovery is pretty slow. Hopefully he has plenty of family members around to look after him so you don’t have to worry so much!

I’m over the red velvet craze I think. I’d choose the Carrot one instead since it’s more ‘natural’ :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:18 pm Reply

Thanks Kelly :) i hope dad feels better soon too because I really have never seen someone in so much pain it was scary! I was actually very close to tweeting you asking for some advice ~

LOL I know what you mean by being over the ‘Red Velvet’ phase :) But really good ones are totally irresistible :D

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reply

Oh I’ve got both their books although I haven’t yet cooked from them-oops! A shame about the red velvet cake but good to know that the carrot cake one was good :) I wish your dad a speedy recovery Daisy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:18 pm Reply

HAHAHA you’re too funny Lorraine :P you sound like me! I buy so many cookbooks but never really use them all but do try their recipe it’s fab! But you don’t really need cookbooks you develop your own ;)

Thanks for the wishes Lorraine! xox

7. Gourmet Getaways January 25, 2013 at 8:38 am Reply

I am so pleased you had a great holiday, I have loved the photos on Instagram!!! So jealous!!! I would have tried to eat my way through this bakery, even if the red velvet wasn’t as good as I hoped :)
    So pleased you are back :) missed you ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:22 pm Reply

Thank you Julie :) I’ve had such an amazing holiday seriously did NOT want to come back and hahaha I have already organised another holiday in May even though it’s going to be a really short one ~ I missed you too!!!

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme January 25, 2013 at 9:25 am Reply

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. But glad you can be by his side during this time. Thinking of you and the family xoxox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:29 pm Reply

Thanks Tina :) it’s kind of sad that i have to leave but I’ve been calling and dad seems to be recovering slowly ~

9. Hannah January 25, 2013 at 10:48 am Reply

I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad! Sending you hugs and him wishes for a quick recovery. xoxo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm Reply

Thank you Hannah :) A shame that I’m back in Melbourne but really hope dad will recover soon too ~

10. gourmetgetaway January 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm Reply

I am so pleased you had such a great holiday! I have loved the photo’s on instagram!! So jealous!!! I would have tried to eat my way through the bakery even if the red velvet cake wasn’t as good as I had hoped. ;)

So pleased you are back :)
    Missed you :)
    I hope your dad is well now :/

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm Reply

Thank you Julie :) Dad’s feeling a bit better ~ But still in a lot of pain :(

11. milkteaxx January 26, 2013 at 10:52 am Reply

hope your dad gets better soon! ive found that with cupcake chains too thats why i like small bakeries etc for baked goods.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:47 pm Reply

I agree that most smaller individual bakeries are better :) But you’re gonna have to try Cupcake Central in Melbourne they are SERIOUSLY amazing!

12. Ashley January 28, 2013 at 11:04 am Reply

Best wishes for your dad! Hope he’s feeling better soon, but glad to hear he’s alright for the most part!

Shame about the red velvet cupcake! :( Maybe just having an off day? The place looks so beautiful though, all that sugar! Is that whoopie pies I see too? Would have totally gone for them! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:50 pm Reply

Thanks Ash :) He’s feeling better now but still in a lot of pain, I guess it’ll take longer to heal just annoying that I’m not around.

I really hope that it was just an off day because I really do like their recipe and use it all the time ~ I wanted to try the whoopie pies too but then there were too many things to choose from hehe!

13. hotlyspiced January 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm Reply

I’m so sorry to hear about your father. Rib fractures are soooooo painful! And they take so long to heel. And you just can’t even laugh because the pain is so bad. I’m glad you had a good time away with your sisters. I was clearing my spam folder and pressed delete then noticed one of your comments was in there but it was too late to rescue it! I have no idea why you ended up in the spam department! Sorry I’ve been absent. At short notice I had to work six days straight and I was working very long hours – did 15 hours on Australia Day. It was nice not to have to go to work today. Blogging is so much nicer! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 10:53 pm Reply

Yesss Charlie it is truly so PAINFUL! I really wish there was something I could do to help ease the pain. Dad wasn’t able to breath, laugh or even talk properly for the first few days.
      Just annoying that I wont be around really hope he’ll get well soon :)

Don’t you worry about my comment Charlie! I’m not really sure why my comments are going into spam lately on quite a few blogs :( I completely understand don’t worry!

You’re realyl working too much! You’ve gotta slow down! Take care xox

14. Nic@diningwithastud January 29, 2013 at 10:56 am Reply

A big get well soon to your dad :) x

15. thehungerpangs January 29, 2013 at 10:53 pm Reply

Hope your dad’s doing better, Daisy! Maybe you could send him a virtual cupcake? Hehe. I don’t have a particular recipe that I stick to when I make red velvet cupcakes, but The Hummingbird Bakery recipe sounds like a winner! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 11:11 pm Reply

Thank you :) I’ll pass your wishes to dad ~ It is good to change recipes hehe but I wasn’t that impressed with their cupcake but will still use their recipe :D

16. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) January 29, 2013 at 11:19 pm Reply

aaaw, no! I hope your dad is recovering :( Sounds terrible.

Dang, as soon as I started to read this post, I was so excited to see how amazing the red velvet would be. Good to know the other things you tried were ok. Should I still visit this place? I’ve got a overnight in London!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 30, 2013 at 11:12 pm Reply

Thanks Adrian :( It was horrible sigh he was in SO much pain! Never seen anyone in so much pain before!

Hmmm to be really honest, no not really worth it if you’re only there for one night, unless you walk past it then sure go in and try but don’t go there purposefully like what I did :P

SUPER excited about your trip!

17. Sarah February 2, 2013 at 7:03 pm Reply

Oh I’m so sorry to hear about your dad! But so glad to hear that he is recovering!! Hope he gets better really quickly.

Also a shame to hear that the Hummingbird Bakery didn’t live up to expectations – at least you can say that you can make Red Velvet Cupcakes better than they can! ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet February 2, 2013 at 11:19 pm Reply

Thanks Sarah :) dad is definitely feeling better which is great because I was so worried when I was leaving!

LOL but I’d feel bad boasting that I make better cupcakes than they do :P

18. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed February 4, 2013 at 7:37 pm Reply

Sending your dad quick recovery thoughts!! Must be so hard being apart. Yum I want that carrot cupcake!
    Heidi xo

19. ironchefshellie February 5, 2013 at 9:52 pm Reply

wahhhh how disappointing about the red velvet :(
    but mmmm… carrot cake…yum!