Keeping Cool – Cacao Green & Yobar

Just before I left Melbourne, the weather had been getting rather hot :) And because I usually spend my summers in Hong Kong, I wasn’t use to the scorching hot weather ~ Thank gosh we have air-conditioning in our apartment.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
When the weathers hot, I just have huge cravings for everything sweet and cold so that includes ice-cream, gelato, icy-poles and last but not least Frozen Yoghurt! I have convinced myself that froyo is the better option because it’s yoghurt it’s good for you and not at all fatty hahaha
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
Anyhow, with the temperature increasing I have dragged Mr Bao to a few froyo places :) The first one would be Cacao Green ~ I’m sure most Melbournians would have heard or visited as they have a couple of stores around in the CBD, Hawthorn and Camberwell.
Cacao Green2
I have visited Cacao Green a couple of times and every time I go I always get the green tea flavour as it’s my favourite, the matcha flavour isn’t as strong as some other places I have tried but still very good ~
Love the toppings!

Love the toppings!

I am addicted to the toppings and if I could, I’d get a little bit of everything :D This time I chose, strawberry, honey macadamia and the white jelly oops forgot the name but its my favourite ~ What’s your favourite topping?
Last time we went, we ordered the regular size with two flavours and three toppings ~ Immediately ordered the green tea and tried their new pomegranate flavour which had subtle flavours and also quite delicious.
Regular froyo $6.7AUD plus 3 toppings $2.5AUD

Regular froyo $6.7AUD plus 3 toppings $2.5AUD

I think we did well picking the froyo flavours and the toppings :) Mr Bao and I really enjoyed it that day and found it very refreshing. Cacao Green is definitely one of our favourite froyo place in Melbourne as I really like their green tea ~ next time I’m gonna try their waffles and parfaits.

Cacao Green on Urbanspoon

A couple of weeks later, we were shopping on Chapel St one day and decided to try out Yobar a new froyo store ~ Mr Bao was immediately attracted to their funky logo, apparently it reminded him of New York lol

Yobar1

Yobar5

Like most froyo places, customers place their order at the counter by choosing the cup size and then the flavour of the froyo and lastly the toppings. I found it quite cute that they labeled their sizes as mini, midi and maxi :) I wonder where they got Midi from ~

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Yobar promotes their 99% fat free frozen yoghurt and when we visited they had the following flavours. I was immediately attracted to their chocolate and original ~

Yobar4

They had a nice range of toppings for customers to choose from and I found them to be quite reasonably charged at only $0.70 per topping which is cheaper than more places ~ They had the usual fruit, nuts and candy toppings. But what caught our eyes were the ‘bursting’ pearls :)

TOPPINGS!

TOPPINGS!

I didn’t feel like sharing that day :P so Mr Bao and I got one Midi each with two toppings yay! They were actually very generous servings :)

Yobar7

Mr Bao decided to go for a more fruity combination with the original and strawberry flavoured frozen yoghurt. We both liked the original flavour as it was quite refreshing with a slight tartness, while the strawberry flavour was slightly sweeter but could have had stronger flavours. Even though we liked the mixed berries, Mr Bao was more impressed with the bursting ‘mango’ pearls :) If you have’t had them before, they’re very similar to sweet salmon roe hahhaa where they ‘burst’ when you bite into it and sweet mango liquid immediately flows out hehe

Midi size with Strawberry and Original with mixed berry and mango 'bursting' pearls $5.30 + $0.70 per topping

Midi size with Strawberry and Original with mixed berry and mango ‘bursting’ pearls $5.30 + $0.70 per topping

While mine was much more indulgent, I chose chocolate and original flavoured and added pecans and shredded coconut as the toppings. I couldn’t have been happier with my toppings, they went so well with the chocolate froyo :) YUM!

Midi size with Original and Chocolate with pecans and shredded coconut $5.30 + $0.70 per topping

I quite enjoyed my froyo at Yobar, as their froze yoghurt is 99% fat-free it has is very icy texture and not at all creamy. I suspect it is because they use fat-free or low-fat milk to reduce the amount of fat. I have read from other reviews that some people do not enjoy this ‘icy-texture’. Mr Bao and I didn’t mind as we found it even more refreshing :)

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We think Yobar is a nice place to grab some froyo after shopping on Chapel St with tables inside and outside the store and is especially good for when you want frozen yoghurt that is lighter and guilt free :P

YoBar on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

23 thoughts on “Keeping Cool – Cacao Green & Yobar

1. The Life of Clare January 6, 2013 at 7:48 am Reply

Both those ice cream places look great! What a fun idea of be able to put on all those different toppings! I love the look of the mango pearls!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2013 at 3:27 am Reply

Hi Clare :) Have you tried these before? You really should try next time you are in Melbourne they’re quite unique and nice hehe ~

2. Iron Chef Shellie (@IronChefShellie) January 6, 2013 at 8:04 am Reply

Haven’t been to either, but I have been to Igloo Zoo, and treat myself on the odd occasion as it’s up the road from my work.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2013 at 3:28 am Reply

Ohhh so lucky that you have Igloo Zoo :) They’re textures very similar to Cacao Green give it a go when you have time ~ bet you’ll love it xox

3. hotlyspiced January 6, 2013 at 8:04 am Reply

I would love to try those pearls! I’ve never seen them before and I’m fascinated. I wonder where you can buy them – they’d be great for dinner parties xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2013 at 3:29 am Reply

Ohh I’m sure you’ll be able to find them in Asian dessert places in Sydney :) I’m not sure where you can get them but I think they’re made in Taiwan and you might be able to order them online ~ xox

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella January 6, 2013 at 11:24 am Reply

It’s so hot here nowadays that I’m dying for a cup of this Daisy! How is Hong Kong? :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2013 at 3:30 am Reply

Hi Lorraine :) Hong Kong is AMAZING hehe eating too much, walking too less and shopping crazy :P LOVE IT! Hope you get a cup of froyo soon~ It’s my favourite hehe

5. kellysiew January 6, 2013 at 7:11 pm Reply

Those are nata de coco I think! :D

6. milkteaxx January 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm Reply

yum, ive been having so much (too much) froyo lately, so good!

7. Catherine January 7, 2013 at 9:39 am Reply

I know you’re in HK at the moment – argh! But today is the perfect weather for froyo! 38 degrees!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2013 at 3:45 am Reply

I know it’s so hot in Melbourne >_< I don't do that well with the heat ~ but at the same time I'm really surprised that it's so cold in HK freezing at times and it's worse because it's so humid here!

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme January 7, 2013 at 9:55 am Reply

seems the froyo craze is also hitting melbourne! ;) there’s some interesting flavours ive tried – sour apple (and its so good) and there’s a mango one at moochi! i prefer these to the normal ones!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet January 8, 2013 at 3:48 am Reply

It’s definitely hitting Melbourne HARD hahaha :P There’s so many froyo places I haven’t tried too ~ it’s great because I love froyo but I like those where you can put your own toppings :) Did you have froyo in America when you went? It’s so much cheaper and better!

Ohhhh sour apple? I wanna try!!! I wonder if they’ll ever create a salted caramel one? :P or if it’s too weird to have sweet caramel with the tangy yoghurt hahaha

9. Ali January 8, 2013 at 2:30 pm Reply

I have never called it froyo before!! You certainly taste-tested a few there! They look delicious! Stay cool today x

10. Shanshan Lam (@food_religion) January 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm Reply

So many froyo places having popping it. They are like rabbits, it can’t stop LOL

11. Linda | theurbanmrs January 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm Reply

Totally agree – I tend to get something sweet and cold on hot days, boba is my #1 answer, then froyo. Yep, pearls are so much fun to eat, especially when they pop in your mouth, lol.

12. Dayna January 10, 2013 at 8:27 am Reply

Cacao Green makes me smile… finally a froyo place that appears to have real scrumptious fruit toppings and not just candy!! I’m jealous, as all of the froyo I’ve encountered in my part of the world (midwestern America) are just excuses to eat five pounds of cookie crumbles and m&ms! :-P

13. chewtown January 10, 2013 at 10:47 pm Reply

I’ll take a maxi size with all the trimings please! :)

14. libishski January 12, 2013 at 2:15 pm Reply

Haha you missed the hot and windy 37 degree day we had yesterday…

I love froyo places but find that they’re a bit pricey in Melbourne (not sure if it’s cos I’m a tight arse or if it’s because I’m used to them being so cheap in Jakarta).

Frozen yoghurt popsicle sticks with mango bits FTW!

15. msihua (@msihua) January 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm Reply

Mmmm Fro-yo FTW! Love a good froyo.. i love the honey macadamias!