Merry Christmas – My Dearest Readers :)

Merry Christmas My Dearest Readers :) I hope you had an amazing day with all your loved ones may it be family or friends :D I’m sorry for being so quiet this week, but Mr Bao and I have been so busy preparing our first ever Christmas party! Usually we are in Hong Kong and celebrating with family, but this year we are on own own in Melbourne. So i decided to take matters into my own hands and organise our own party :D

Christmas Feast!

Christmas Feast!

This is the Christmas Feast! I have never seen so much food in our little apartment! HAHAHA! It took us more than 2 days to do all the cooking and the preparation started 3 days before! And I also got a lot of help from my wonderful guests (my dear friends) who brought a dish YAY!

Krik carving the turkey ~

Krik carving the turkey ~

I am SUPER annoyed :( That I didn’t take a close up of our two MAIN dishes the Roast Turkey with apple and pork stuffing and the Marmalade Maple Glazed Ham >_< But you can see Kirk carving the turkey in the picture above ~ Mr Bao and I are SO happy with the turkey! It was super moist! Thanks to Heston’s recipe where we brined the turkey in salt water the night before. And Margaret Fulton’s pork and apple stuffing is the BEST!

Mr Bao carving the BEAST LOL

Mr Bao carving the BEAST LOL

I am calling the ham ‘The Beast’ it was huge! Weighing 5kgs I could barely lift it up and put it onto the roasting pans. It had a maple marmalade glaze which was sweet but had a slight bitterness from the marmalade to cut through the sweetness from the maple syrup :) We had SO much of it left lol

Smoked salmon, cream cheese on crackers

Smoked salmon, cream cheese on crackers

As entrees and nibbles, I made smoked salmon with cream cheese on crackers ~ these are super easy and quick to make and quite delicious too :) I was going to bake wonton wrappers and use them as little cases but ran out of wonton wrappers at home damnnn >_<

Pancetta Pasta Salad

Pancetta Pasta Salad

Yue my colleague was so worried that we weren’t going to have enough food or ‘carb-loaded’ food :P that I bought him a loaf of bread lol (on the left from Christmas Feast picture) and also made a pancetta pasta salad with broccolini and a creamy and tangy mayonnaise.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Julz and Kirk had to come save my salad dressing :P As I put way too much lemon juice and it was super ‘tart’… lol so they had to help by adding more mayonnaise and mustard oh and some salt hehe

Potato Salad

Potato Salad

Julz brought a potato salad :) Another carb-loaded salad for Yue and also a vegetarian dish for Miss Dd as she’s a vegetarian ~ This was super creamy and yum! We also made mushroom and halloumi cheese skewers for her but once again was too busy eating and forgot to take pictures hehe.

Miss Dd brought a fruit platter

Fruit platter

Miss Dd brought over a fruit platter, it looks super pretty and perfect to help digest all the food the turkey and ham hehe

Adriano Zumbo's Mirror Cake with homemade macarons

Adriano Zumbo’s Mirror Cake with homemade macarons

I delegated the desserts to Kirk :) He’s the professional and I simply didn’t have the time with all the other preparations ~ He made Adriano Zumbo’s Mirror Cake from the cake mix which you can get from Woolworths :D It’s super rich and moist and with a sweet glaze! LOVE IT but not many people could eat it as they were all so full from the Turkey!

Raspberry and coconut seme fredo with pistachio praline topped with chocolate

Raspberry and coconut semi fredo with pistachio praline topped with chocolate

There was another dessert which was much lighter ~ it was a like a semi fredo with a coconut mousse, raspberry coconut merengue with chocolate pearls and pistachio praline. This was a lovely dessert but sorry Kirk just not my type of dessert, it was simply too light and fruity and really hahaha needed some sort of sugar :P But hey that’s just me hehe the other guests seems to love it :D

Beechworth Bakery Beesting

Beechworth Bakery Beesting

I was SO SO SO happy when Thanh (I Eat Therefore I Am) confirmed that he could come to our Christmas party ~ Thanh is another friend that I have met through blogging and we get along so well! He’s also an amazing baker too so do check out his blog when you have time! He had just come back from a weekend away in Ballarat and stopped by the Beechworth Bakery and bought a large BEESTING! YAY! It was one of the first places I had blogged about. I absolutely adore this beesting, which is two sweet buns with delicious vanilla custard sandwiched between! Seriously AMAZING!

My Chocolate Cupcakes with a surprise

My Chocolate Cupcakes with a surprise

I didn’t have time to make desserts but managed to wake up at 7am to bake these chocolate cupcakes with a surprise for my friends to take home with them :)

Surprise inside is a Ferrero Roche!

The surprise!

And the little surprise is a Ferrero Roche inside the cupcake!!! :) I’ve been meaning to make these for the longest time but have forgotten about them lol so I thought Christmas would be the best time to do it! I mean who doesn’t like Ferrero Roches? :D

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Now a party wouldn’t be complete without desserts right? But another thing we must have are drinks :) Thanks Yue who provided us with all the drinks we could possible need or want! He brought soft drink, juice, iced tea, wine and beer!

Sangria

Sangria

So I decided to make a Sangria with all the drinks Yue bought over :) It was funny the first jar I made was too ‘strong’ then the second jar was too ‘weak’ so I ended up doubling the amount of vodka :P no no I’m not an alcoholic, I just like my drinks learning towards the ‘stronger’ side heh

Vodka Jelly

Vodka Jelly

I also made Orange and Strawberry Vodka Jellies!!! These are super easy to make and I think perfect for any party :) They’re very pretty too, once again everyone thought they were too strong but I only put 90ml of vodka and 360ml of water hahaha what do you think My Dear Readers of this vodka to water ratio?

Mr Bao got mini speakers ~

Mr Bao got mini speakers ~

We also had a Kris Kringle :) Mr Bao got Yue’s present which was a mini portable speaker ~ Perfect for Mr Bao and he likes to play music where ever he goes.

Vietnamese Coffee Filter Set :)

Vietnamese Coffee Filter Set :)

While I got Julz’ present which was Luke Nguyen’s Vietnamese coffee filter set! Seriously one of the best KK presents I have received :) I really like Vietnamese coffee because of their use of condense milk, so this would be a wonderful addition to our kitchen. Thank you Julz.

Mah Jong time!

Mah Jong time!

Hahaha after having all that food and drinks it was time for MAH JONG what Asians do best :P I’m still a beginner so I was on the other table, while the experts were sitting at this table ~

Pick Up Sticks

Pick Up Sticks

We also used Julz present (from me) which were Pick Up Sticks! I knew this was going to be a great KK present as we can use it immediately hehe ~ This game looks so much easier than it actually is! It also brings back childhood memories, did you use to play as a kid? :)

That sums up our first ever Christmas party :D I am super duper happy with everything ~ there were a few mishaps but overall it was an amazing night! I need thank Mr Bao heaps! He is an absolute HERO! He did all the prep work and without him, we wouldn’t have had a turkey or ham which are the stars of our Christmas Feast! Also to all my friends who came thank you for bringing a dish and helping out! Hope you all had a good time and next time please DO NOT DRIVE so we can drink even more hahaha

I hope you also had an amazing Christmas and may Santa spoil you rotten and you get all the presents you want tomorrow! xoxo

Tagged: , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “Merry Christmas – My Dearest Readers :)

1. andy1076 December 26, 2012 at 1:01 am Reply

Merry Christmas Daisy!! So envious of such delicious dishes :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 26, 2012 at 1:08 am Reply

Thanks Andy :) Merry Christmas hope you had a great day with your little lady!!! xox

2. leaf (the indolent cook) December 26, 2012 at 1:28 am Reply

So much fun and deliciousness! Good work with the hidden Ferrero Rochers in the cupcakes. Merry Christmas and happy holidays! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:40 am Reply

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and Simon too :) It was so much fun making the cupcakes hehe but damn because it was inside the cupcakes they lost some of that crunch :(

3. kellysiew December 26, 2012 at 1:30 am Reply

Xmas feast looks awesome! Well done! :) Wish I was in Melbourne so I could help finish off the ham! It’s ridiculous to get ham here.. Nearly 200 dollars! And turkeys are also over 100 each =_=”

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:41 am Reply

Merry Christmas Kelly and Frank :) So sorry for the late reply! Things have been crazy lately and I haven’t had the chance to sit down and just reply to all these lovely comments ~ Oh gosh…$100 each that’s insane and $200…ours was like $35 hahaha for nearly 5kg!

Doesn’t matter hopefully you’ll be able to spend Xmas in Melbourne next year!

• kellysiew December 30, 2012 at 2:33 am Reply

Imported food items are crazy expensive. Yeah hopefully next Xmas I’ll be in Melbourne!

4. kellysiew December 26, 2012 at 1:30 am Reply

Oh and Merry Xmas!

5. Michelle @ The Bakeanista December 26, 2012 at 1:34 am Reply

It really was a big feast and everything looks too yum! Even though you didn’t take a pict of the turkey and ham, I can see how yums they look from the table! That ham – my oh my, so glossy!! Good job, you two!! :D and the desserts, I’d die to try Kirk’s cake!! And the beesting also looks so good. Yum!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:43 am Reply

It was definitely a huge feast :) I’m still annoyed that I didn’t get to take photos of the turkey or ham, but at least you can still see how huge they were from the table hahaha the beesting is the best!!! We should go to Beechworth bakery sometime together hehe bet you’ll love it!

6. bakingaddict December 26, 2012 at 4:09 am Reply

Merry Christmas Daisy! Looks like a great party – wish I could have been there too! Enjoy your holidays Look forward to seeing you in London!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:44 am Reply

Thank you Ros ;) it was a very fun night! Just lots of washing afterwards hhaha but it’s all worth it! Can’t wait to see you again in London xox

7. hotlyspiced December 26, 2012 at 7:37 am Reply

I’m so impressed Daisy with all your efforts. It’s sad when you can’t get to be with family for Christmas but it looks like you and Mr Bao made the most of it and had the best celebration ever. How lovely to have turkey and ham and those desserts look amazing. And how you found the time to make those chocolate surprise cupcakes as a thank you gift amazes me! Your guests must have felt very special just to be there xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:46 am Reply

Thank you Charlie and Merry Christmas to you and your family too :) I hope you have got my card by now! It’s definitely sad not being able to spend Xmas with family but I’m just glad to have some fantastic friends around and be able to spend it with them too ~ I’m so relieved how well the Turkey turned out, thank gosh it wasn’t overcooked and also the ham :) I woke up really early that day to make the cupcakes hehe so i’m glad they were able to take something home with them xox

8. theragingcook December 26, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply

Merry Christmas to you and Ricky!!! Mmmm turkey and Macaron Zumbo cake!!!! :D Have a safe and fun filled trip!!

• theragingcook December 26, 2012 at 8:35 am Reply

And see you and Ricky and Lib when y’all return!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:48 am Reply

Thank you Dave :) Hope you had an amazing Christmas too ~ the turkey was amazing! Heston is definitely the man to go! We followed his recipe to a Tee and it turned out moist and lovely YAY! You should try making the Zumbo cake hehe it’s quite easy!

See you in the New Year! Take care :)

9. Vien December 26, 2012 at 9:49 am Reply

What a fantastic looking feast!!!!! :D Sounds like you had soooo much fun!!! And I’m so glad that your turkey turned out moist!!! Enjoy your holiday and make most of the last few days of this year! X

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:49 am Reply

Merry Christmas Vien :) We had an amazing time! It was a lot of hard work but it was worth it and I’m so relieved that the turkey was moist and not overcooked, as that would have been the worse :D I will definitely make the most of what is left in 2012 and hehe may all our wishes comes trueeeeee xox

10. Miss Piggy December 26, 2012 at 11:05 am Reply

Wow, what a feast! I t all looks amazingly delicious! Well done…I only had to cook a few things to take to my sister-in-laws and that was stressful enough.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:50 am Reply

Thanks Miss Piggy :) we had heaps of fun making and definitely eating it ~ even though it was stressful hahaha I practically didn’t sleep much at all the night before because I was stressing so much >_< But it's worth it! YAY! Hope you had a lovely Christmas too!

11. Peita at Leo's Cheese Bar Adelaide Central Market December 26, 2012 at 12:52 pm Reply

Looks delicious! But where is the Cheese? Ha ha! Wishing you a very Happy New Year full of great food experiences!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:51 am Reply

Merry Christmas Peita :) We failed and didn’t have any cheese >_< hehe but next year I'll make sure I offer my guests some cheese hehe Hope you have an amazing New Year and wishing you the very best in 2013!

12. Nic @diningwithastud December 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reply

Wow! That was an epic feast :) Im glad you had a fab day and have a great new year!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:51 am Reply

Merry Christmas Nic :) it was an amazing dinner with some great company yay which is always a bonus ~ I hope you had an amazing Christmas with family and friends too xox

13. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals December 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm Reply

Merry Christmas Daisy and Mr Bao. Your party looks to be a great success, all the food look amazing! We had our annual Christmas eve party where everyone had a wonderful time, my youngest brother in law proposed to his long time girlfriend and we were so excited to be a part of that surprise. Hope you have a great new year!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:53 am Reply

Merry Christmas Jeno and your family :) Thank you our party was definitely a success in my eyes because I was just stressing out so badly that the turkey was going to be dry and tasteless, but it turned out beautifully! YAY! So relieved!

OMG OMG OMG that’s so sweet of your brother in law to propose to his gf during Christmas, perfect time to do it! WOO HOO! Please tell them I said congratulations :D

May all your wishes come true in 2013! xox

14. Tina @ bitemeshowme December 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm Reply

What an awesome Christmas that was. Food. Company. Drinks. Not much more you can ask for. Hope you had a merry Christmas babe! Love that coffee filter set. Home made ca phe sua da is the besttttttttt!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 4:54 am Reply

Merry Christmas lovely girl :) It was definitely one of our best Christmas hehe with amazing people, food and drinks :) Hope you had an amazing day with family and friends too and hope Santa spoilt you ROTTEN hehe!

Oh oh oh I’m gonna have to ask you about making Vietnamese coffee! I have no idea how it works hehe :)

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 26, 2012 at 8:28 pm Reply

Merry Christmas Daisy and thanks for taking us through your lovely Christmas! It looks like a feast made for a king and queen! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 29, 2012 at 5:01 am Reply

Merry Christmas Lorraine and Mr NQN :) So glad you enjoyed my post hehe ~ I’m just relieved the turkey turned out so moist and the guests had a good time :) May 2013 be just as wonderful for you!

16. Cupcake Crazy Gem December 27, 2012 at 3:36 am Reply

Wow, it looked like a proper feast Daisy! Good work! I especially loved the look of the raspberry and coconut semi freddo (of course!) and your Christmas cupcakes were so cute! Wishing you and Mr Bao a very Happy Christmas – hope your break is filled with lots of fun and delicious treats! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 2:47 am Reply

Thank you Gem and belated Merry Christmas to you and yours :) I think you would’ve really liked the coconut semi fredo but hehe just between you and me I think it needed some sugar to cut some of the creaminess hehe

Hope you’re having a great Christmas break too xox

17. Ali December 27, 2012 at 10:56 am Reply

Looks like a great feast you had on Christmas Day, Daisy! Hope you had a lovely day xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 2:47 am Reply

Thank you Ali! It was an amazing feast hehe we had so so so much fun even though it was stressful it’s worth it! YAY!

18. milkteaxx December 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm Reply

looks like an awesome christmas party! so much food! the pancetta pasta salad looks amazing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 2:48 am Reply

Thanks Amy it was an amazing night with great company, food and drinks hehe really could not ask for any better! Hope you had an amazing Xmas too xox

19. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) December 28, 2012 at 1:22 am Reply

WOah, you put on a fab feast! Amazing. By the looks of things, you ate yourself silly! Merry Christmas, and enjoy the vacation!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 2:49 am Reply

Thanks Adrian ;) hope you had an amazing Christmas with family and friends too hehe ~ We definitely overate hahaha but it’s all worth it yay!

20. Linda | theurbanmrs December 28, 2012 at 4:56 pm Reply

Merry christmas! It was such a lovely event and I couldn’t imagine how full your fridge was before the event. Glad that you enjoyed having guests over.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 2:59 am Reply

Merry Christmas Linda :) it was definitely a wonderful night to spend with friends even though my family weren’t around it was still heaps of fun hehe :D LOL the fridge was so full it was crazy! LOL

21. Winston December 29, 2012 at 2:52 am Reply

Omg fun times!!! Now THAT sounds like my kinda party. Great food, awesome company and chilling out over mahjong/board games after. Glad to see you guys had a fab time. Have a great trip, Daisy!! Yahoo~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 3:00 am Reply

Thanks Wince :) Hope you had an amazing Christmas with family and friends back home too ~ I couldn’t have asked for a better Christmas party with my friends and the turkey turned out so well hehe yay! And mah jong always makes the party heaps better :P

22. Christine (@cookingcrusade) December 29, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reply

Merry Christmas Daisy and Mr Bao! Your party looks wonderful and it looks like it was a giant hit! Your food all looks amazing and super delicious :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 3:12 am Reply

Merry Christmas Christine :) Hope you had a wonderful Xmas with family and friends too ~ It was definitely a success and one that I didn’t expect hehe woo hoo so happy and can now relax xox

23. Sarah December 30, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reply

Merry Christmas! Looks like an amazing feast and fantastic party you guys hosted! Well done!!! :) Looks like the practice turkey was well worth it, hehehe :)

I’m also really impressed with how that Adriano Zumbo packet cake turned out – I seriously thought it was a bought cake when I first saw the pic!!

xox Sarah

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 31, 2012 at 4:35 am Reply

Thank you Sarah :) Hope you had an amazing Christmas with family and friend too :) We had so much fun at the party but gosh it was hard work hahhaa worth it though :D The practice turkey was definitely key to our success :P

I was impressed too! You should try that cake mix too when you’re bored or have a party to go to but want something easy you can quickly whip up ~

24. libishski January 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm Reply

Oops, I got in a bit too late so I won’t bother saying ‘Merry Christmas’ (already texted you my Christmas greeting anyway hahaha).

So annoyed that I got to miss out on the festivities and seeing you before you flew off to HK but it looks like you had a wonderful night regardless. Not sure if I would have been any good at the mah jong too hahaha.