Snow Egg – Quay, Sydney

This blog is my baby :) I am responsible for everything, the writing, the photos and most importantly the eating :P And very rarely will Mr Bao help me…except for the eating part hahaha he’ll occasionally help me take photos but will never participate in the writing or very little photo editing. That’s why I was really surprised when he kept asking me to post about our experience at ‘Quay‘, usually he doesn’t even know what I’ve posted and I need to remind him to read my blog! How sad is that?!?

But nonetheless, he kept asking…”When are you going to write about Quay? Don’t worry about the other posts, do Quay first!”, and when I asked him why, he simply replied, “Because its THE best restaurant we have gone to and the SNOW EGG!” LOL Anyhow, I have been meaning to write our experience at Quay for a couple of weeks now, but have been very busy :(  Also writing restaurant posts especially ones with such complicated dishes takes even more time >_<

Mr Bao very happy~

Even before our Little Aussie Trip, I had put Quay on the top of my ‘Must-go’ lists. But I admit, I didn’t know much about Quay before Masterchef and the episode about the Snow Egg. But since then, I have been mesmerized by it! That’s why it was the perfect excuse to go and it was going to be part of Mr Bao’s birthday present, even though it’s a couple of months late :P

I have heard that getting a table at Quay is quite difficult especially for dinner, unless you book 6 months in advance. So I had my mind set to have lunch there instead, it’ll also make it easier to take photos :) I called up probably two weeks before we were going to go to Sydney and made a reservation, thank gosh…I had no troubles getting a table on the time and day I wanted ~

It was going to be a date, so Little Luk (Mr Bao’s cousin) who was traveling with us wasn’t coming (I did invite him :P) , we had breakfast with him at the Rocks before walking to Quay. Mr Bao was very excited about going to Quay, he even worehis favourite suit jacket and ‘suited-up’ for this event, upon walking in, we were immediately greeted by the friendly staff behind the counter.

They immediately showed us to our table, with one of the best views of Darling Harbor! It was such a beautiful day ~ the res. I already had a look at the menu online and decided we were going to get the 4 course lunch menu  instead, of the tasting menu.

Lunch Menu 4 Course $145AUD or Tasting Menu 8 Course $220AUD

And don’t laugh…but the only reason for that was because, the tasting menu only came with Snow Egg for the dessert but I really wanted to try the 8 texture chocolate cake as well :)

Complimentary entree, Sashimi, almond medey with grapefruit

We both made our choices, ensuring we don’t get the same dishes. The first thing to arrive at our table was a complimentary entree, in a little glass which was a sashimi almond medly with grapefruit. Flavours were quite refreshing especially with the tartness from the grapefruit ~

Bread selection

The lovely waiter then offered us a selection of sourdough bread, white, mixed seed and polenta and malt. The bread was freshly baked with a nice crust and soft mellowly center, we just thought it could have been slightly more sour as it was intended to be sourdough :)

Fragrant poached chicken, shaved sea scallops, Chinese artichokes, silk noodles, smoked white eggplant cream, Korean Virgin Black sesame oil

First up, my entree which was a poached chicken with scallop and smoked white eggplant cream.  We thought it had bit of an Asian twist with the use of Chinese artichokes and Korean virgin black sesame oil. I really liked the strong sesame taste and the tenderness of the scallop, I didn’t think a dish with chicken and scallops and was impressed that they complimented each other quite well. The smoked white egg plant was also lovely with a creamy texture and even though I’ve never tried white eggplant, we found the natural flavours of the eggplant was less prominent.

Sashimi of Corner Inlet rock flathead, Tasmanian trumpeter, salt cured wild oyster cream, black lipped abolone, raw sea cabbage, nasturtiums, warrigals

Mr Bao loves his Japanese food, so got the Sashimi for his entree. This was not the conventional sashimi that he is use to, this entree had more elements with the flatheat, oyster cream and abalone which were things neither of us have had before and used the radish to give it a different type of taste and more crunch in terms of texture.

Smoked and confit pig cheek, shiitake, scallop, Jerusalem artichoke leaves, juniper, bay

We have been very lucky and had actually tried this dish the week before we came to Quay, as we won tickets from Agnes’s blog for  Peter Gilmore’s masterclass event will post about that very soon :) Because we previously tried this dish, we were already familiar with the flavours, but for this dish, pig cheek was used, while the one Peter made for us used pork jowl. We found the pork cheek to have a slightly firmer texture than the pork jowl but was still nonetheless succulent. I absolutely adore this dish :) There are also scallops and when eaten with the pork cheek, we thought it gave it a sweet flavour ~ I don’t think neither of us have had artichokes before and even if we have, it was definitely not fried and made so crispy :D

Gentle braise prawns, octopus, strawberry clams, heirloom radishes, baby squid, sea urchin

Once again we were very lucky and had sampled this dish before, and loved it the first time and this time we found it to be even better as the flavours of the seafood was more pronounce.

Close up ~

I call it a seafood medley because that’s what it felt like ~ the seafood went so well with each other it was like singing a song in my mouth hahaha And I can’t tell you how delicious the broth was definitely the most amazing one I have ever had ~

Milk fed lamb slow braised in cumin scented butter, globe artichoke and white lentil leaves, parsnip cream, pea blossoms

Mr Bao got the milk fed lamb for his main. I don’t usually eat lamb so was reluctant to try, but eventually gave in and it was so good! It wasn’t gamey at all nor did it have that lamb taste and we both agreed we could actually taste the milk flavour from the meat :) It was quite fascinating as I have never enjoyed lamb but really liked this. I probably would have thought it was veal if I didn’t now any better ~ Mr Bao also liked the crunch he got from the globe artichokes and also the creamy and slight sweetness from the parsnip cream.

Berkshire pork jowl, maltose crackling, prunes, cauliflower cream, perfumed with prune kernel oil

I chose the Berkshire pork jowl knowing it was Quays signature dish, and was immediately amused by the maltose crackling :) I remembered Peter Gilmore saying that because the pork jowl has such a large fat content, it is virtually impossible to create a crackling. Therefore, he created a ‘mock’ cracking using ‘maltose’ which is malt sugar and caramelize it and as it cools, it hardens to become the ‘crackling’. I LOVED IT! It was super sweet which counteracted with the salty pork jowl so well and even though I could see all the fat, I didn’t care! The fat would just melt in your mouth :) I also liked the prunes which were also quite sweet and the cauliflower cream, I’ve tried making cauliflower puree at home before, but it’s never this smooth! Mr Bao didn’t enjoy this dish as much as he found it a bit too sweet pfft whatever :P it was perfect for me !

Complimentary salad with vinaigrett

PHEW! I finally got through all the savoury dishes :) They were all quite complicated and hard to describe. *Drum Rolls* please! Moving onto DESSERTS :)

Quay’s Eight texture chocolate cake

We started off with the Eight texture chocolate cake, which is now very well known to most Australians because of Masterchef hehe ~ but for those who have not heard or seen this cake before, it’s basically a chocolate cake with 8 different textures. It has a cake base, chocolate and hazelnut dacquise, chocolate cream, chocolate mousse, milk chocolate praline disks, caramel chocolate ganache and a dark chocolate disk for the top.

It’s so warm and comforting seeing the melted chocolate ooze out!

But what’s so magical about this chocolate cake is that, after being assembled, a bit in the middle is scooped out and the dark chocolate disk is placed on top, the waiter will then come over with some hot chocolate sauce which will melt through and cause a mini chocolate volcano! It’s truly AMAZING! As for the texture and flavours, couldn’t get any better, this is every chocolate lovers dream come true. It’s so rich and indulgent full of chocolate and it’s slightly warm too so very comforting. Mr Bao said that he would have trouble finishing the cake by himself because it was a bit too rich for him, but nope not for me, I swear I could eat another one all by myself!

Jackfruit Snow Egg

Now to the showstopper – the one and only snow egg. The flavour of the snow egg changes depending on what is in season and for us it was a jackfruit, which we found it to be quite unique as we haven’t had jackfruit before. Once again because of Masterchef, the snow egg has received so much attention and many customers will go to Quay just to try this dessert, and it did not disappoint.

It is a very complicated dessert ~ it starts off with a granita base, then the snow egg replicates a real egg with an ice-cream center as the ‘yolk’ with the maltose tuilles to create a crunchy egg shell along with a poached meringue. It was by far one of the exquisite desserts we have had, and we both LOVED it! I have never seen Mr Bao be so excited and fascinated by a a dessert :) He really liked the texture of the snow egg itself and the flavours just blew his mind away. The jackfruit had a light and refreshing taste it really cleaned our palates and we forgot that we just had the 8 texture chocolate cake only seconds ago :) Mr Bao couldn’t stop eating it and in between eating he mumbled “This is the best dessert I’ve had in my life!”.

I had to send him multiple death stares and threaten him nicely to get the snow egg out of his hands. Within seconds the snow egg was gone and nothing was left in the elegant glass >_< He then turned around and said to me “Why can’t you make desserts like that?” ROAR I was furious hahaha I simply said “because I’m not Peter Gilmore!”

Petite Fours

This wasn’t the end of the meal, we added $10 to our meals to get coffee, tea and petite fours which were two truffles a chocolate truffle with crunchy chocolate pearls and the other was a salted caramel truffle rolled in sugar with a hazelnut ganache inside. Mr Bao was pretty chocolate out and couldn’t finish the truffles so I had 3 outta the 4 we got :P they were scrumptious and I have decided to borrow the crunchy chocolate pearl idea next time I make truffles at home :)

Latte

Mr Bao was getting a massive food coma after all that food, so ordered a latte which helped him regain consciousness. While I got an English Breakfast Tea which was comforting and exactly what I needed after this extraordinary lunch :)

English Breakfast Tea

Our verdict – we loved it :) And it was definitely one of the most delicious meal we have had…everything was perfect, the weather, the food, the atmosphere and most importantly the snow eggs ~ We highly recommend you trying Quay next time you are in Sydney, especially for a special occasion. We’re sure you’ll enjoy it as much as we did :)

Quay on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

35 thoughts on “Snow Egg – Quay, Sydney

1. Michelle @ The Bakeanista December 9, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply

So glad that you enjoyed your meal at Quay! When I last went there two years ago, I left feeling disappointed and wished I had a better experience.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm Reply

Really? That’s a shame Michelle :( Sorry to hear that because we really enjoyed everything but I guess that’s the problem with restaurants and cafes they can sometimes be inconsistent ~ Hope you had a good weekend!

2. Trisha December 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm Reply

I’m overly jealous, have never been to Quay so this is so awesome!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm Reply

Thanks for stopping by Trisha :) Definitely put Quay on your list! It’s a wonderful experience!

3. threehanns78 December 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm Reply

Great, fantastic write up. as i was reading this, there was tiny bits of snow on the screen, was that suppose to happen? death stares, “why cant you make dessert like this” anyway you guys are so funny.
    Lunch or dinner booking, you guys won with the beautiful views and great pics.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm Reply

Thank you David :) Glad you liked the write up lol it took me forever! Oh the snow flakes is an effect that wordpress has because it’s winter in the US and lol they’re celebrating Christmas hehe!

Mr Bao is just annoying! And i plan to ignore him… lol It’s simply too hard to make for me!

We had amazing lighting :) That’s why the photos are nice hehe ~

4. Choc Chip Uru December 10, 2012 at 6:15 am Reply

That meal sounds exquisite I am very jealous ;)

5. The Life of Clare December 10, 2012 at 7:37 am Reply

I savoured every word of this post, so it could feel like I was there! I, like you, have come to learn about this amazing place, and these stunning desserts through masterchef! I’d love to go!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 2:31 pm Reply

Thanks Clare glad you liked this post :) All dishes were amazing especially the snow egg!

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme December 10, 2012 at 9:30 am Reply

So very glad you enjoyed your time at Quay – it really is amazing isn’t it? You got to try the 8 textured chocolate cake AND the snow egg – how lucky! Oooh you had jackfruit – when I went I had white peach. I was in awe for days after!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reply

I really enjoyed everything about Quay! It was super amazing :) I only really wanted to go and try these two desserts and I got them YAY! SUPER HAPPY hehe I think Mr Bao is still in awe :P

7. Hannah December 10, 2012 at 10:48 am Reply

Aw, look at how happy Mr Bao is! Love it! I’m glad this place lived up to its hype for you :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 2:34 pm Reply

Me too Hannah :) I was worried that it might not be as good but seriously exceeded our expectations!

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm Reply

You guys are so cute together!! :D And I love that pork jowl dish with the maltose crackling! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm Reply

Nahhh we’re not that cute :) I think you and Mr NQN are sweeter ~ you make lunch for him hehe that’s most favourite dish too!

9. libishski December 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm Reply

Mr Bao looks adorable! (btw, am I allowed to use his real name on this? or should I still call him Mr Bao haha).

Yeah, dinner bookings are hard to come by but in hindsight, I think lunch would be better as there is less people, conditions are better for taking pics in (haha) and you get a better view of the harbour!

And look at that chocolate cake – so exquisite! I do regret ordering the snow egg (as beautiful as it was) – should have gone for the cake instead!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm Reply

Hahaha of course you can use his real name! Have I told you why? He’s called Mr Bao? It’s really stupid haha

Will tell you another time hehe :) Definitely hard to get dinner bookings ~ so I m glad we had lunch there instead and I much prefer the lighting yay!

I remembering reading your post that you didn’t quite enjoy the snow egg as much as we did ~ next time you go! You definitely need to get the chocolate cake!

• libishski December 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm Reply

Oh yeah, you told me how he got his nickname. Haha yeah, just wasn’t sure if you wanted to keep his name a secret for privacy purposes but it’s good that we can call him by his real name – feels weird to have met your bf twice already and still call him by his alias on your blog!

Don’t get me wrong, the snow egg was a technically perfect dessert and beautifully constructed – it was just the taste that didn’t make me go WAH. I think it’s cos they used strawberries that time as they were in season. Wish I had jackfruit or peach instead but oh well, next time!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm Reply

Hahhaa I get that :) Nahhh he didn’t want to use his real name at first and then I wanted to give him a fun name ~ then it just stuck hehe but call him whatever you want/need to hehe ~

I know what you mean ~ I think it’s because I was really lucky and Kirk made the 8 texture cake before so I kind of had an idea what it would taste like but never had the snow egg before hehe jackfruit was very unique too :)

10. Candice December 10, 2012 at 8:53 pm Reply

Great photos. Loved the snow falling down on the screen as well…fits in with the Snow Egg theme!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 11, 2012 at 10:51 am Reply

Thanks Candice :) I rarely get compliments for my photos hehe so that means a lot :) LOL the snow flakes is actually unintentional but it fits quite well with the snow egg ~

11. Shanshan Lam (@food_religion) December 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm Reply

LOL at Mr Bao’s comment at ‘why can’t yhou make desserts like that;. You tell him girl! Glad you loved the snow egg! its so heavenly, also love your photos!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 11, 2012 at 10:53 am Reply

Hahaha he’s an idiot and I’m just going to ignore him! I don’t think I know any one except for my pastry chef friend who could probably make it! LOL Thanks for the compliment, I realised lighting can make or break your photos :)

12. Agnes December 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply

Amazeballs. Okay, I totally need to go there.

And what do you mean you’re not Peter Gilmore? You’ve been to his class – you should be able to cook like him now. ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 11, 2012 at 11:07 am Reply

You need to make an effort Agnes :) to go! You will LOVE IT! hehe

HAHHAA i may have ME Peter Gilmore but I’m by no means his prodigy and be able to recreate his amazing dishes and desserts at home!

13. Christine (@cookingcrusade) December 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm Reply

Stunning photos Daisy and looks like a perfect meal – especially the desserts! Glad you were able to get a table so easily for lunch :D

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 12, 2012 at 11:33 am Reply

You got me very excited about reading this restaurant! If I’m in Town, I would love to taste Snow Egg on my own! Love the unique idea and beautiful look of this dessert. The savory foods look excellent too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 12, 2012 at 11:49 am Reply

I’m glad that you liked this post Nami :) I was very excited about writing it even though it took me a long time hehe ~

Hope you make it to Australia soon! I can’t wait to meet you in person!

15. Linda | theurbanmrs December 14, 2012 at 6:44 am Reply

OMG – I love every bite of those excellent desserts! Everything looks so phenomenal. I’m packing up to go there now *wishful thinking*, lol.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2012 at 9:38 pm Reply

I really hope you make it to Australia soon and book a table at Quay it is seriously AMAZING :) I couldn’t ask for a better meal! hehe

16. Ali December 14, 2012 at 10:47 pm Reply

Oh wow! I’m so happy the snow eggs lived up to the hype…ever since that Masterchef episode my friend and I have said we will go there, and have finally booked a table for March next year! We’re going to Sydney from Adelaide just for this!! You’ve no idea how happy I am that it really is that. good. !! Looks fabulous, now I can’t wait!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 15, 2012 at 9:45 pm Reply

The Snow egg definitely lived up to the hype and as a matter of fact :) Quay was simply amazing! It was AMAZING we really enjoyed it ~ Can’t wait till you go and try and also read your review!

17. Nic@diningwithastud January 4, 2013 at 1:19 pm Reply

Oh what a gorgeous day for the perfect view! Quay is on “the list” for us as well. Now even more so ;)

18. Ashley January 9, 2013 at 6:58 pm Reply

Wow…what an amazing meal! The dessert in particular is just outstanding! Although the snow egg looks amaze-balls, I get the feeling the chocolate dessert would just win my heart over!

Hehe, my boy is not involved with the blog at all either! I don’t even know if he bothers reading anymore…!