Galette or Crepe – Roule Galette

Bonjour! I have some exciting news to share with everyone today :) I am going to PARIS with my sisters Win Win and Anonymous Sister in JANUARY 2013! I am so excited… I can’t even use words to describe it! Then I started getting crepe cravings :P Because they are  one of my favourite French desserts. Then I remembered I bought the Roule Galette voucher from Living Social which entitled us to 2 crepes and 2 drinks of our choice. Perfect!

I was gonna go with Mr Bao but he was a bit busy, and the coupon was expiring, so I asked Yue my awesome colleague, we went on a Friday while our manager was on leave so we could take a longer lunch break :P We drove to Flinders Lane and walked into Scotts Ally where Roule Galette was situated, but as soon as I showed them my coupon, they told me that it was only valid for their other store located on ‘Rebecca Walk Ave’. Bummer…we didn’t want to drive there, so decided to stay and get crepes anyway :)

Scott Alley

Our Lunch

For a second, I really thought I was transported to the little cafes in Paris, as Scotts Ally is so small, and all staff at Roule Galette spoke English with a thick French accent and spoke to each other in only French ~ very cool! I have always wanted to learn French…but haven’t had the chance yet.

Complete Galette $10AUD

Feeling quite hungry, I immediately ordered the ‘Complete’ with egg, ham and Emmental cheese which is one of the oldest and most traditional types of galette. I actually didn’t know the difference between galette and crepes until I did some research , and apparently galettes are a type of crepe made with buckwheat so I assume it’s healthy. I loved everything about this galette how thin it was and then the ham with the melted emmental cheese and topped with the ooey yolky egg! Its such simple flavours but so good!

Raspberry Puree Crepe $6AUD

I was really surprised but Yue wanted a ‘sweet’ crepe :P He doesn’t really have a sweet tooth, but I guess he had a late breakfast and wasn’t feeling that hungry. We both liked the thin soft texture of the crepe, while I found the raspberry puree to be a little too tart, Yue really enjoyed it. I think it would have been even better with some hot chocolate fudge or ice-cream but that’s just me ~

Banana and Salted Caramel $9AUD

I couldn’t leave without getting another sweet crepe, I was confronted with the issue of waiting banana and Nutella or salted caramel. The waitress helpfully suggested a ‘salted caramel with banana’. Problem solved! I was very happy with this crepe, once again soft and thin texture with the perfect amount of salted caramel and then sliced bananas, I don’t think I could have made this crepe any better!

Roule Galette on Urbanspoon

Rebecca Walk

Mr Bao got a little jealous, that I got crepes for lunch so a couple of days later, we decided to use my coupon and this time went to the Roule Galette at Rebecca Walk. For those who are not very familiar with the area, it can be a little hard to find. Basically, it is on Flinders Street, facing the Yarra River and right opposite the Crown Casino facing South Bank, it’s a quiet little area with some shops and seating area. I actually wouldn’t mind having lunch here sometime :)

Not many shops here

The Roule Galette store here is much bigger with seating outside as well, it was quite busy outside, but tables were still available inside. We liked the retro-ambiance it had inside with the yellow and brown colours and booths along the side.

Saint Jacques $20AUD

Saint Jacques $20AUD

With the coupon we could order any crepe of any value, so Mr Bao decided to be extravagant and got the Saint Jacques which was a galette with leek and scallop. I haven’t had seafood on my galettes before so it was a new experience. Even though we liked the flavours especially the leek, the scallops were slightly overcooked and it was very salty. It would have been much better if there was some cream or sour cream to counteract the saltiness.

Crepe Suzette

I’ve heard lots about Crepe Suzette but never had one, because I always have Nutella with my crepes. I was looking forward to seeing the crepe be on fire hence the name ‘flambe’ hehe, the waitress brought over a normal sweet crepe, then poured some Grand Marnier and lit it in front of us.

The Suzette $13AUD

The Suzette $13AUD

Not sure why but the fire died down very quickly…as for the taste, I was a little disappointed because I think there was too much Grand Marnier it was very strong and it tasted very bitter. Hence, I didn’t like it very much and think I much prefer to stick to my sweet crepes :P

Chicken du Chef $12AUD

Chicken du Chef $12AUD

Of course Mr Bao wasn’t full with just one savoury galette hahaha so he decided to pay and get another Chicken du Chef a buckwheat crepe with chicken and French mushroom and cream. We both enjoyed it, can’t go wrong with cream and mushrooms, but found the chicken to be slightly overcooked.

Iced Mocha $6.50 AUD

Iced Mocha $6.50 AUD

We washed the food down with some cold drinks :) I got an ice mocha, can you see the amount of chocolate at the bottom of the glass exactly what I like ~ I was impressed that there was a strong coffee taste and not just chocolate sauce and milk, like some other places. Only thing is… I don’t really like that much cream >_< my fault for not telling them, next time.

Iced Coffee $6 AUD

Iced Coffee $6 AUD

Mr Bao got an Iced Coffee ~ he was also impressed with the intense coffee flavour and the vanilla ice-cream, not something we expected from Roule Galette hehe once again only issue was too much cream but other than that it was great.

I would recommend Roule Galette for anyone who has crepe cravings in Melbourne and want to have a little taste of Paris and remember to get the salted caramel one :D

Roule Galette on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

37 thoughts on “Galette or Crepe – Roule Galette

1. Choc Chip Uru December 2, 2012 at 9:45 pm Reply

How bout fixing crepe cravings in Sydney? Looks like I need a plane ticket :P
    Everything looks gorgeous!

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 3, 2012 at 9:54 am Reply

I wish I could fix the crepe scene in Sydney but you have so many other delicious food :) come to Melbourne soon xox

2. hotlyspiced December 2, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reply

I love crepes and this restaurant has so many different varieties. And that’s so exciting about going to Paris with your sister. I’ sure you’ll have an excellent time xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 3, 2012 at 10:03 am Reply

I’m super excited Charlie :) I can’t wait all the food, shopping and scenery hehe ~

3. Hannah December 3, 2012 at 4:34 am Reply

OMG WHEEEEE!!!!! Oh how I adore Paris! I’ve occasionally toyed with the idea of heading over there myself in January, but we’ll see. Eat a thousand mont blancs for me!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 3, 2012 at 10:04 am Reply

You should go!! :) it’s quite close from New York to go to Europe hehe I can’t wait totally counting the days till I go hehe

4. Vien December 3, 2012 at 7:54 am Reply

WOOHOOOOOOO!! How exciting!!! :D So happy for you! Can’t wait to read about your trip- I’m already imagining all the pastries and desserts!! ;P
    I tend to order their galettes instead of crepes! Some how, the crepes aren’t as consistent!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 3, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

Thanks lovely ;) I am super excited too! I can’t wait! Totally counting the days until I fly home and then go to Paris woo hoo! I know right all the food and pastries and sweets!!

I agree though the crepes can sometimes be a little too soft or too crunchy ;(

5. theragingcook December 3, 2012 at 8:07 am Reply

Love their galettes, especially their La Complete with the ham and runny egg yolk! Their St Jacques is not bad either!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 3, 2012 at 10:11 am Reply

Hey Dave :) you should go have the complete then! it’s super yum! I love it :) And the St Jacques was alright just a little salty hehe ~

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme December 3, 2012 at 9:25 am Reply

AWW HOW EXCITING TO BE GOING TO PARIS SO SOOOOOON! Tell me more about your trip. How long, where will you be going, whats on your agenda? Too many questions! Eat all the nutella crepes you can in Paris.. I’m not even kidding!! hahaha xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 3, 2012 at 10:12 am Reply

Hahaha I’ll send you an email lovely :) and I’ll need your help and hint and everything! I will eat all the crepes I can in Paris along with all the other delicious pastries, desserts and MACARONS i can find :) xoxo

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella December 3, 2012 at 6:28 pm Reply

What fabulous news about Paris! You should try the Meet The French programe where you get to meet and interact with Parisian locals :) My favourite crepe is the Mont Blanc with lots of chest puree and whipped cream. Either that or a salted caramel!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 4, 2012 at 4:32 am Reply

Ohhh Thanks Lorraine I haven’t heard of the Meet The French programe :) will need to look into it ~ I did do the Big Apple Greeter program in NYC and really enjoyed it!

You really do love your Mont Blanch hehe but nothing beats salted caramel and Nutella for me !

8. liannelow December 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm Reply

So not surprise you liked the salted caramel one! hehe but then again. it looks so good!!! and the galette! Love the exposed egg yolk in the middle! Mmmmm (: Been a while since I went to Roule Galette! So difficult now that I rarely go into the city. hehe Maybe once I’m on break and my mum comes, I can bring her to have a taste of Paris! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 4, 2012 at 4:34 am Reply

HHHAA you know I can never say ‘NO’ to salted caramel :P its too addictive! I know what you mean, I never use to go to the city much but then now I’m working there so it makes it so much easier :) Definitely take your mum, I bet she’ll love it too~

9. msihua (@msihua) December 3, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

So jealous of your Paris trip! Hope you enjoy it love!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 4, 2012 at 8:35 am Reply

Don’t be! You’re going to SPAIN!!! LOL Can’t wait to see and read all about your HONEYMOON xx

10. Ali December 3, 2012 at 10:36 pm Reply

Those crepes look great! Have you been to Paris before?! How exciting!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 4, 2012 at 7:24 am Reply

Hello Ali ;) yes I have a couple of years a go but I think I was a little young and will appreciate it a lot more now hehe :)

11. Catherine December 3, 2012 at 11:03 pm Reply

Oh I’m so jealous, you’re going to Paris!! Aren’t you also going HK soon? Haha lucky duck and now I’m feeling the sudden urge to eat crepes with nutella or salted caramel :)~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 4, 2012 at 7:23 am Reply

I am so excited hehe I m going to hong kong first and then transiting to Paris and London for a week super excited!!! Yay!!!! Hehe we can change our plans and meet up for creeps instead if that’s what you feel like :)

Hope you’re feeling better Xox

12. theurbanmrs December 4, 2012 at 9:00 am Reply

Oh, I’m so jealous! LOL – Paris is definitely a lovely place for desserts. Be sure to wear your fat pants…(or santa claus costume, to be safe, hehehe). I’ve never thought of leek and scallop on crepe, this sounds very interesting!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm Reply

Hhahaa i’m definitely prepared to wear FAT FAT pants LOL those that are so loose that they will fall off so then I can fill them up with all the food, desserts and pastries that I will be having :P

13. Norma Chang December 4, 2012 at 10:33 am Reply

How exciting, how long will you be in Paris? Looking forward to reading about the foods in your blog.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 12:06 pm Reply

I’m very excited hehe :) i’m going only for a week but also going to London SUPER DUPER excited!

14. libishski December 4, 2012 at 9:13 pm Reply

Ooooh I love Roule Galette! (never been to the Rebecca Walk one but the one off Flinders Lane definitely gets a tick in my books!)

For some reason, I do prefer the sweet crepes here (haha I’m a bit like your workmate in a way) but when it comes to savoury crepes, sticking to the ham and cheese options is a safe move!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 12:07 pm Reply

Yes yes you have to go back and I even think I prefer Rebecca Walk more cuz it’s more serene hehe and you get a nice view of the river ~

WOO HOO something that you like that is sweet over savoury hahaha you know that doesn’ thappen very often :P But that Complete with the Emmental cheese is to DIE for! xox

15. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) December 4, 2012 at 9:55 pm Reply

I am so excited for you ;p
    I don’t know why; to me, eating crepes outside of Paris never feels the same!! Neither is fish ‘n’ chips away from seasides or Cornish pasties not in Cornwall … well may be that’s just me :) Anyway, look forward to hearing all your travel adventures especially the ‘sweet’ side of the stories :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 12:19 pm Reply

Hahha and you know I’m even more excited about going to London ;)

LOL really? I guess it’s because they simply make the best crepes in Paris so I guess it is quite hard to beat that hehe :) And i have that feeling too I don’t really eat much to fu far in Melbourne because I know it will never be as good as the ones in HK hehe

16. winstonthehungryexcavator December 4, 2012 at 10:01 pm Reply

OMG you’re going to Paris?? I am SO happy for you!!! You girls are seriously going to have such a kickass time. And I’m so excited for you both for all the awesome French food you’ll be eating. I sure hope you’ll be active on Instagram when you’re there as well haha! And man I really need to take my parents here now esp cuz they love snacking in between meals =D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 6, 2012 at 12:20 pm Reply

Thank you Winceeeee :) i’m super duper excited myself hehe can’t wait!!! Totally counting the days and I’m really missing my sister and niece lately hhah even though I’m seeing them very soon :)

I can just imagine all the food, cake and desserts that I will be consuming OMG the weight I will also be gaining but hey it’s all worth it!

I will try to Instagram as much as I can hehe :)

17. Christine (@cookingcrusade) December 11, 2012 at 5:16 pm Reply

WOW a trip to Paris! That’s soo amazing! I hope you have an awesome time :D

Looks like so much crepey goodness here too :):)

18. Nami | Just One Cookbook December 12, 2012 at 11:41 am Reply

Nice… crepes are my favorite and it’s always treat when my parents took me to crepe store. And so jealous about your trip to Paris! I’ll be closely following your IG for that… :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply

Thanks Nami :) I am also very excited about this Trip hehe I will also be going to London too YAY!

Oh I love Japanese crepes they’re just as amazing if not better :D

19. Ames December 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm Reply

Haha I just had pancakes (I know it’s not exactly the same but close-ish!) this morning :P Now I feel like an iced drink too lol

20. […] it use to be a Roule Galette. The well known crepe store which I have previously blogged about here ~ The owner Michel Dubois has decided to transform Roule Galette into a modern casual French […]