For Him – Taste of Melbourne 2012

Melbourne is definitely a city full of events and most importantly food events :) one of the most popular would have to be Taste Of Melbourne. It’s an annual event that many foodies like myself look forward to going ~

Taste of Melbourne 2012 at Albert Park

I m actually a newbie to this event ~ last year was the first time I went, but I wasn’t blogging then and Mr Bao was busy and couldn’t go, so this year it was his first time and was held at the new Albert Park location. He wasn’t sure what to expect hahaha I reassured him ‘lots and lots of delicious Food!’. In fact we were so lucky to win tickets from Ms I-Hua’s blog that we got to go twice :) Thank you Ms I-Hua again!

The Big Fork :)

As you can see from the heading, I have decided to separate the Taste of Melbourne event into a savory post (for him) and a sweet post (for me). Simply because it’s too hard to squeeze everything we tried into one single post ;)
For those who haven’t visited Taste of Melbourne before, you need to buy an entry ticket first. Usually the earlier you buy the cheaper, and then you also need to buy ‘Crowns’ which come in booklets of $30, $50 and $100. These will then act as ‘money’ during event and you will pay the stalls in crowns even though some still take cash. I think it’s a clever idea and more hygienic than using real notes. We quickly got our crowns and studied the map to make sure we went to all the stalls :)
First place we stopped at was the Yarra Valley caviar and we had a little bit to try, very fresh and sweet yet salty liquid would burst into you mouth ~ tempted to buy some home back home. But we were going out afterwards so had no where to store it :(

Yarra Valley Caviar

We then rushed over to Movida, Mr Bao had been bugging me about going to Movida…so this was the perfect time for him to get a taste ~ we were surprised to see Executive Chef Frank Camorra serving the Fideua Mejillones.

Frank Camorra from Movida

The Fideua Mejillones reminds me very much like a paella but instead of Spanish rice it had braised pasta with mussels and calamari. It was extremely fragrant with paprika and the sweetness from the mussels ~ Mr Bao immediately wanted another one!

Fideua Mejillons with mussels and calamari 12 Crowns

You know I’m not a lamb eater, but Mr Bao sure is so he got the Pinchitos Morunos which were chargrilled Moorish Lamb skewers. Mr Bao loved the chargrilled flavour and the tenderness of the lamb, he had 2 skewers both times we visited :P However, the bread on the end of the skewer was a little dry and bland.

Chargrilled Moorish Lamb Skewers 8 Crowns

Spanish food wouldn’t be complete without Spanish beer :) So we got the Moritz beer, never seen or had this before, it was a strong ‘malt’ tasting beer, which I was surprised I liked, as I normally like lighter tasting beers.

Moritz Beer 6 Crowns

Then it as my turn to run to Mamasita! I have been dying to try Mamasita, but because of the crazy long lines…I still haven’t had the courage to go and wait for more than 2 hours for dinner :P But I have heard SO much about the famous ‘corn’!

Mamasita

The ‘Elotes Callejeros’ the ‘street style’ corn did not disappoint ~ it was buttery, covered with parmesan cheese and chilli flakes! I seriously don’t know what else they do to it…but it was just so addictive!

Street Style Corn 6 Crowns and Braised Ox Taco 8 Crowns

We also had the Taco de lengua which was a Braised Ox Taco topped, the meat was so succulent and in the soft taco, I only had one tiny bite because Mr Bao wouldn’t let go!

Market Fish Taco 6 Crowns

We went back the next day and got Taco de pescado which was a market fish taco, I was worried at first that the fish taco was going to be ‘fishy’ but not at all! It had a slight crunch and paired up so well with veggies :)

Taxi Dining

I have seen really nice photos of the dessert they do at Taxi Dining Room, so was disappointed when they only had 3 savoury dishes. But then I was proven wrong… the stick pork was AMAZING! We loved everything about it! Soft, juicy and spicy :)

Sticky pork with red chilli dressing 8 Crowns

However, I do agree with other blogger’s comments and that it was quite expensive for 8 crowns you only got a tiny piece and sizes were very inconsistent. Some people got much larger pieces :(

Tempura King Prawns 10 Crowns

We also tried the Tempura King prawns with smoked chilli mayonnaise, we liked smoked chilli mayonnaise, but found the tempura batter to be a little thick and once again over priced 10 crowns for only two small prawns.

Tonkatsu Cups – panfried pork belly 8 Crowns

Saké Restaurant & Bar has recently opened up at the revamped Hamer Hall at the Arts Centre, and even though I work around the corner I haven’t visited :) We chose the Tonkatsu Cups with panfried pork belly, mustard miso and barbecue sauce served in a lettuce cup. I really enjoyed it! Thought the pork belly was perfectly fried, but would have liked more barbecue sauce. While Mr Bao complained it was too small, so typical.

Pea and Mint Soup 10 Crowns

Kirk was also with us for one of the nights, and couldn’t resist the lovely lady at the Albert St Food & Wine stall who kept yelling out “Try the Number 1 dish at Taste of Melbourne, our Minted Mermaid”. Apparently this pea and mint soup with smoked salmon and apple was voted the number dish at this years event. I had a little sip and even though I liked it…I’m really not a fan of chilled soups, I’m so silly I was tempted to ask them to reheat it for me :P

Dorper Lamb Ribs 6AUD

Another lamb dish! Mr Bao were totally in love with these Dorper Lamb ribs with pea and mint. I have to admit, I did have a little bite and could see why he liked them it wasn’t at all gamey with a nice mint flavour. According to Mr Bao good value too only 6 crowns for 2 ribs….yup he went back for more…

The Atlantic

The Atlantic the super well known and expensive seafood restaurant at Crown Casino, we tried all 3 dishes plus the icon dish with Kirk :)

Prawn Cocktail 12 Crowns, Soft Shell Crab 10 Crowns and Spaghettini with Moreton Bay Bug 14 Crowns

Starting from the Tempura Soft Shell Crab with jalapeno and ponzo (left), we all enjoyed it, super crispy but not oily at all. We ordered another plate because it was so good ~ I will go to The Alantic for these soft shell crabs! Then it was the Altantic Prawn Cocktail (top) with spanner crab, scallop, Moreton bay bug, prawn, iceberb lettuce, rockmelon, basil and soft boiled quil egg, so many elements to this prawn cocktail! It was definitely by far one of the best ones we’ve had ~ Then the icon dish Spaghettini with Moreton Bay Bug, sadly I didn’t get the try this! The boys said it was delish and just finished it within seconds… Definitely have put The Atlantic on my wish list :)

The Botanical – Lamb burger with truffled mayonnaise 10 Crowns

I swear Mr Bao purposely ordered all the lamb dishes! We walked past The Botanical and I wasn’t going to try anything, but Mr Bao couldn’t help get a Lamb burger with truffled mayonnaise. He enjoyed it, but commented that there was too much mayonnaise which made it a little too rich and hard to eat.

The Bishop of Ostia & Pope Joan

There was also the Sustainable pop-up store from Bishop of Ostia and Pope Joan, which I just did a post about a couple of days ago and enjoyed the food there ~

I haven’t figured out the meaning behind Bishop of Ostia ~ but that’s not important, was was important was the Crispy NZ regal King Salmon wings with chilli salt! I have never heard of or seen salmon wings, but they are seriously the best part of the salmon.

Salmon wings with chilli salt 8 Crowns

Such a simple dish but the salmon wings were so soft and super easy to eat, just like a chicken win :) I wonder if we can buy them at the local seafood store? Really want to remake these at home… or will just go to Bishop of Ostia for more ~

Cocktail from Cointreau 8 Crowns

Now that’s all the savoury dishes we had ~ but wait for my sweet post with all the desserts and sweet things we had :P Before we left, we grabbed a cocktail from the Cointreau stall and I don’t remember what it was exactly but it was quite strong with mint and lemon flavours. Great way to end the night!

Live music

I much prefer this years venue more than the Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton last year, it was more like a spring festival with live music and great scenery. However, I agree with Ms I-Hua that some of the scenery was blocked by the moveable toilets >_< I would have also liked to see more seating available as it was hard to buy all these little dishes and find a place to  eat them.

Did you go to the Taste of Melbourne this year? If you didn’t I definitely would recommend you going next year ~ even though it can be quite expensive, its nice to be able to try dishes from so many restaurants :)

Tagged: , , ,

36 thoughts on “For Him – Taste of Melbourne 2012

1. andy1076 November 27, 2012 at 9:15 am Reply

I’d stay there and never leave! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 2:48 pm Reply

Same here! I went twice but wanted to go more like 5 times :P

• andy1076 November 27, 2012 at 3:01 pm Reply

For sure! so much good food :D

2. The Life of Clare November 27, 2012 at 10:15 am Reply

I loved the Taste! So much delicious food. It was great to see your take on the festival and see the things that we didn’t get to try. Looking forward to ‘For Her’

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm Reply

Thanks Clare :) did you get the chance to go this year? I didn’t mind ‘For Him’ for but I think I like the sweets much more :P

3. Julie November 27, 2012 at 10:25 am Reply

oh man lets go together to taxi dining want so bad!

4. Vien November 27, 2012 at 10:43 am Reply

hehe I’ve been drooling over your instragram pics of this and I’m drooling over this even more!! :P Can’t wait for your ‘part’!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 2:54 pm Reply

Thanks love :) I think my part is so much better hahha nah the pork belly was DELISH!

5. Ames November 27, 2012 at 11:52 am Reply

Oh wow, I didn’t know there was so much… and this is just the savoury post haha looking forward to the one for you ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm Reply

I promise you mine is even better :P and I didn’t even try all of the sweets hehe ~

6. Ashley November 27, 2012 at 2:52 pm Reply

Haha, what a fun idea splitting it into two instalments :)

The sticky pork from Taxi looks amazing! Missed out on that, will have to visit the restaurant itself sometime I guess instead… ;)

Also…too much truffled mayo?! Surely there’s not such a thing! :o

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm Reply

Hahaha I couldn’t put it all into one post :) and wanted to spend some quality time writing about the desserts LOL

Oh damn you missed you definitely go to the restaurant and book through Agenda City you get 30% off yay!

Usually there wouldn’t be such thing but this time there was a slight truffle overdose :P

7. Choc Chip Uru November 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm Reply

How I wish I could’ve been there with you my friend what an incredibly delicious and awesome festival :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reply

It was a wonderful event :) you should go to Taste of Sydney hehe

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 27, 2012 at 4:28 pm Reply

I’m so hungry after reading this! And I have found sometimes the pricing at these events is a bit off. Sometimes you get great deals, sometimes less so :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 28, 2012 at 2:31 pm Reply

I agree Lorraine :) Sometimes there are dishes that’s a great deal, while others just aren’t worth it :P

9. Candice November 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm Reply

I really enjoyed Taste this year (first time I went). I think I will have to go twice next year because I couldn’t try everything I wanted to in one go!! My fave dish was soft sheel crab from The Atlantic…hands down winner for me :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:13 am Reply

I totally agree with you :) I think the soft shell crab was just AMAZING and even though I went twice this year…I totally think I could have gone 3 to 4 times ~ Hope to see you there next year!

10. theragingcook November 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm Reply

Taxi, movida and the skwers whoa! *drools*

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:14 am Reply

We really need to plan time to go to Movida or Taxi or BOTH together with Libby :) The pork belly omg omg omg! don’t get me started hehe

11. hotlyspiced November 27, 2012 at 9:31 pm Reply

That looks like a great way to spend a day. What a lovely assortment of food. I think they do need to be careful to keep their prices low and the serving portions consistent so people are encouraged to attend again and again xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:18 am Reply

It was great Charlie :) I think they have a Taste of Sydney too ~ you should go if you have the time, you’ll enjoy it for sure! I totally agree with you, that portions and prices need to be reasonable and consistent… but i guess that’s one of the downsides of these type of food festivals.

12. Ali November 27, 2012 at 9:54 pm Reply

Sounds like you had a great day! We have a Taste of Adelaide festival, which I have attended a couple of times and always had fun! It’s so hard to know what foods to try as there are so many!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:21 am Reply

I definitely had a great time :) Ohhh I didn’t know there was a Taste of Adelaide! I Can just imagine all the fresh produce used ~ would love to attend one year!

13. threehanns78 November 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm Reply

Looks like an amazing event. The pricing can get a bit out of hand though. Salmon wings are easy to come across, just befriend the local fish shop and hell put some aside just like salmon heads for a good curry. try it and be sure to thank him :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:22 am Reply

It was an amazing event :) You should take your wife one year ~ and your little princess, I’m sure the sweets will please her :P Ohhh I didn’t know it was so ‘easy’ lol to get salmon wings, think it’s time I went talking to my local fish shop wakaka the guys there do seem quite nice…. and generally quite helpful :P

14. thehungerpangs November 27, 2012 at 11:32 pm Reply

Oh, what days did you go? I went on the Sunday – 5 hours still wasn’t long enough to cram all the delicious food in, haha. It would have been good to bump into each other :) Taste of Melbourne is such a great event, I’m already looking forward to going next year :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:23 am Reply

Oh damnnn I didn’t know that you were there! I went Thursday and Friday night ;) Had things on during the weekend and wanted to avoid the crowd hehe definitely would be nice to bump into each other and also looking forward to next year as well! The food… the food the food hahaha

15. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) November 27, 2012 at 11:34 pm Reply

Good to see you tried a tonne of different things and how good was it being outside??!!!

I had 3 of those lamb skewers…only because I couldn’t be bothered lining up for anything else. LOL

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:24 am Reply

We probably over ate AGAIN lol we always do that :P it’s not good! My waistline…is disappearing quicker than I expect it to be hahaha

Wow you had 3 skewers LOL when did you go? Funny some stalls had no queues at all!

16. Linda | The Urban Mrs November 28, 2012 at 4:40 am Reply

I’ll definitely join Mr. Bao with the salty part. Those tacos look amazing, no wonder he wouldn’t let them go, lol. Also, was that grilled corn next to iy? Soooo delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:26 am Reply

I loved the grilled corn so so so DELICIOUS :) and the tacos omg! I’m annoyed that I only got a bite… Mr Bao can be so rude :P

17. Norma Chang November 28, 2012 at 5:18 am Reply

What a fun event, I am more for savory but looking forward to reading about th sweets.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2012 at 4:26 am Reply

I always look forward to going to Taste of Melbourne :) Do you have similar food events in NY? ~

18. gourmetgetaway December 2, 2012 at 4:45 am Reply

All the food looks amazing!! The Pork belly and fish tacos look like absolute winners!
    I will have to try and get there next year :)