Kirk’s Big Day – Rosetta, Crown Casino

Another year another birthday :) and this time it’s Kirk’s Birthday! But it’s not just any birthday… it’s a BIG birthday for Kirk and marks a very SIGNIFICANT day for him ~ I’m not going to say how old he turned because he will kill me but trust me it’s a BIG birthday hehe!

Happy Birthday Kirk!!!

I’m sure my Dear Readers will know who Kirk is :) He’s the very talented friend of mine who is a professional pastry chef ~ celebrating with chefs can be a little nerve-wrecking because I’m not sure where to take them…and whether or not it will live up to their standards :P So I gave Kirk full control where and when to eat. Very quickly he decided we’ll go check out Niel Perry’s new Italian restaurant – Rosetta at Crown Casino.

Rosetta, Crown Casino

I was secretly grinning because Rosetta was top of my list of restaurants that I wanted to try, especially since reading Lorraine’s (Not Quite Nigella) post about their wonderful dishes and two things stuck to my mind, the meatballs and the Bonet.

Loved the red interior :)

We booked our table for 7pm, I was immediately stressing out, because I wanted to go early so there was more natural lighting hahaha better pictures, but I was surprised when we arrived and walked in that Rosetta, had a very bright and open design. It had a classic Italian-feel with the large chairs with the detailing but also had this girly-touch to it, which I guess was a given as ‘Rosetta’ meant ‘Rose’ in Italian.

A birthday party isn’t a party without bubblies, Rosetta was very generous to give us complimentary champagne as they knew it was Kirk’s birthday and I’m pretty sure he pulled some strings :P I wasn’t able to take a photo or note the name of it, but it was a very light tasting champagne which me likesssss ~

Cheers ~

I loved how the menus were multi-coloured and I obviously wanted and got the pink one ~ They have a large and extensive menu starting with the warm and cold entrees, then pasta and risotto, the mains, sides and last but not least desserts :) I’m not very familiar with Italian dishes, as you can see from my blog, I don’t think I’ve done many if any reviews on Italian restaurants ~ its not because I don’t enjoy Italian food, just don’t go as often as I should ~

Rosetta Menu

Thank gosh we had Kirk who’s the expert to talk us through the dishes and some of the ones he recommends to us as he knows our tastes quite well :) Soon we had agreed on what we wanted for our entrees and main but not the desserts, as I just wanted everything!

Bread and Grossini

After taking our order, the waitress brought over some bread, which I think was a focaccia type bread and instead of butter, they poured some olive oil but we were told that butter can be ordered if we wanted it. We all loved the extremely spongey texture of the bread and Mr Bao even had my piece and asked for more lol while I really liked the grossini sticks instead, they’re actually a type of bread… but to me tasted more like biscuits super crunchy could imagine munching on these while watching TV.

Scampi $30 AUD

Kirk didn’t have to think twice he knew he wanted the ‘scampi’ and being in the ‘Crudi & Carpacci’ section, it was raw scampi with pistachio, orange and mint.  Kirk really enjoyed it and said it was “Delicious! Fresh, soft and so tender and liked the crunchy texture from the pistachios”. I don’t think I’ve had scampi raw and was really surprised that it was so sweet.

Tonno $26AUD

This dish very much reminds me of the Japanese sashimi but being Italian it had Sicilian Sea salt, grapefruit and pine nuts. The tuna pieces were sliced very thinly and even though the grapefruit was rather bitter, Mr Bao commented that it helped bring out the sweetness from the tuna, while the pine nuts once again gave it some texture. I didn’t really like the grapefruit but liked the simple flavours of the tuna with the Sicilian sea salt.

Polpette al forno $19AUD

The meatballs, Lorraine talked about :) They’re simple oven baked meatballs topped with a tomato sauce and parmesan cheese. I haven’t had meatballs for a while, these were able to satisfy all my cravings. They were soft, fluffy and full of flavour and the tomato sauce wasn’t too sour or overpowering either. I also thought that it was a generous serving with 3 large meatballs for only $19AUD.

Cotoletta $45AUD

Kirk chose the Cotoletta which was a pan-fried crumbed boneless veal loin with lemon, it was such a large piece of veal! The plate is much bigger than it appears in this photo, Kirk kept cutting pieces off and giving it to us, but still could barely finish it~ we joked it’s a never-ending story. We really liked the Cotoletta it was super thin, with a great crumb that wasn’t oily at all and so crispy. Definitely recommend sharing this dish and its value for money as it could have easily fed 2 to 3 people :)

Porchetta $42AUD

Mr Bao ordered the Porchetta a wood fire roasted suckling pig with mustard fruits, the suckling pig was very lean which was good, as it wasn’t drenched in oil making it less tender. But we enjoyed the wood fire taste and the balsamic vinegar sauce complimented it very well. However, we found the crackling a little tough and wasn’t really salted but Kirk did mention that it probably wasn’t baked in the oven, that’s why it didn’t have that ‘crack’.

Occo Buco $39AUD

I ordered the Osso Buco a veal shin braised in Vermentino which is a late-ripening Italian white wine. The veal had a tender and soft texture, but I didn’t really enjoy it as much as I found it to be a little under-seasoned and slightly gamey to me. But the boys really liked it and the fact that they could taste the ‘meat’. So Mr Bao and I ended up swapping dishes hehe ~

Risotto ai Fungi $29AUD

Mr Bao was still feeling a little peckish, so decided to order the Risotta ai Fungi which is risotta with mixed fresh mushroom. It was so delicious, it wasn’t too rich with a fresh lemon flavour. I personally found the risotto a little too ‘al dente’ but I guess that’s the traditional way risotto is cooked, I’m just use to my mushy risotto that I make at home hehe :P Keep in mind that their pastas are all starter sizes, but you can always upgrade to a main size by paying extra.

Verdure $10

We also ordered a side of Verdure Romanesco broccoli and broccolini with lemon oil, we have never had Romanesco broccoli which has a lighter green colour and also subtler taste. Mr Bao loved this dish so much he’s decided to remake this at home! I can’t believe it…this carnivore actually liked a veggie dish, I think he liked it because it was cooked perfectly, soft but not mushy with a lemon taste to it.

Kirk must have pulled some strings with his connections :) Because we were very well looked after for desserts hehe ~ got everything and more that I wanted YAY!

Tiramisu $21AUD

Mr Bao wanted the Tiramisu, wish granted hehe ~ it came in a little sliver bowl and was a very traditional tiramisu with Savoiardi, layered with mascapone cheese and coffee liquor. I found it to be a little too strong for me in terms of the coffee liquor and thought it could have been a little sweeter, while Mr Bao and Kirk both liked it and thought it wasn’t too strong.

Potta Cotta $21AUD

I’m not usually a panna cotta fan but this vanilla panna cotta with rhubarb and strawberry compote was magnificent! It was extremely smooth, wobbly and silky :) It was not at all filled with gelatine which is the main issue I have with other panna cottas  hehe :) We also liked the sweetness from the strawberries and also the texture from the rhubarb, definitely the wining dessert ~

Bonet $19AUD

This is a very traditional Italian dessert which I have not had before, it was described as a chocolate  custard with coffee, rum, Amaretti biscuits and caramel. Lorraine described it as an ‘Adult dessert’, as no sugar is used to make the actual custard. Sugar is only used to make the caramel poured over the custard, with a large dollop with pure cream. I was fascinated by an ‘Adult’ dessert so was very excited about trying, as soon as you put it into your mouth, there is a strong kick of coffee. I personally think the custard can be quite bitter without the caramel and the whipped cream. I actually enjoyed it more than I expected myself too but still think I could have done with more caramel syrup :P

Gelati and Sorbetti 4 Flavours $24AUD (approx)

We also tried the gelati and sorbetti :) Pistachio and chocolate were the gelati while the sorbetti were strawberry and lemon. They had the BEST pistachio gelati I have had in Melbourne! And I mean the best! I haven’t been able to find a place in Melbourne that does pistachio as well as Gelato Messina in Sydney. But Rosetta have done it! I will just come back for the pistachio! While the chocolate smooth, rich and deep ~ went so well with the handmade wafer biscuit. The strawberry and lemon were both refreshing and great as a palate cleanser, but I did find the lemon to be a little too sour.

Assorted Pasticcini $3AUD per piece

The desserts just kept coming! I couldn’t be happier :D we finished off with a plate of assorted pasticcini which I assumed meant cookies or the equivalent to the French Petit Fours. Starting with Cannoli di Ricotta, I was most excited about trying these as Lorraine mentioned that Rosetta makes fresh Ricotta everyday and it is never refrigerated. It did not disappoint, the Cannoli was fried, then filled to the brim with one of the silkiest ricotta I have tasted, and even though it wasn’t sweetened we all liked the slight savoury taste. Then it was the almond biscotti, it was crispy and dry with a slight orange scent, much better than my homemade ones which were triple the size ~ last but not least the ricciarelli which reminded me of the Greek short bread, but this was an almond and orange flavoured one and wasn’t as ‘crumbly’ as them.

Hope you had a great night Kirk!

Overall, we enjoyed our time at Rosetta and would recommend you trying, but have noticed their low rating on Urbanspoon, I personally think it’s because, some dishes were quite ‘traditional’ so you need to be prepared for a slightly different texture or take on a familiar dish :) Either way, I’m still happy to return for the meatballs, ricotta cheese and PISTACHIO Gelati! Once again would like to wish Kirk a very Happy Birthday! Thanks for being such a good friend for the past year :)

Daisy@Nevertoosweet, Mr Bao and Kirk paid for all food and drinks with a few perks thrown in e.g. Champagne and the cannoli :)

Rosetta on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

38 thoughts on “Kirk’s Big Day – Rosetta, Crown Casino

1. Choc Chip Uru November 24, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply

Happy birthday to Kirk, truly you made it so special and delicious my friend :)

2. libishski November 24, 2012 at 11:34 pm Reply

You weren’t kidding when you said that you were going to post this one up very quickly!

I like the look of the raw dishes (scampi and tuna) but the risotto won me over as well as the pana cotta. Can’t wait to give this place a go :)

A very happy to Kirk too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm Reply

Thanks love! I promised Kirk that I’ll get it out ASAP so I rushed it hehe ~

You would have loved the panna cotta :) and the risotta ~ if you want I will go back with you JUST for the GELATO hehe xox

3. Hannah November 25, 2012 at 6:26 am Reply

Happy birthday to Kirk! I love mushroom risotto but I’m a plebeian and like my risotto stodgy :P

4. The Life of Clare November 25, 2012 at 8:32 am Reply

This dishes look absolutely to die for delicious! Yum!

5. Ali November 25, 2012 at 9:37 am Reply

Happy birthday to Kirk! That restaurant looks fabulous!! Love those pasticcini….cannoli are my favourite Italian dessert!!

6. gourmetgetaway November 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm Reply

Oh Daisy that looks like such an amazing meal!!! The Gelato and sorbet looks so special, actually all the desserts look amazing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 25, 2012 at 11:30 pm Reply

The gelato and sorbet were definitely one of the main high lights :) Put it down on your list next time your in Melb hehe ~

7. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals November 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm Reply

Oh My Goodness Daisy, it’s wonderful to have a pastry chef as a buddy, the mountains of desserts, yummm!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 25, 2012 at 11:31 pm Reply

I definitely think so :) always nice to be able to call and ask him for advice on how to save my dessert when they’ve turned out badly hahaha

8. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. November 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm Reply

What delicious looking food. Happy birthday Kirk!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2012 at 8:45 am Reply

Thanks Winnie :) Put it on your list for date night next time hehe ~

9. theragingcook November 25, 2012 at 5:44 pm Reply

Happy Birthday to Kirk! Wow wow and wow again! The tonno, scampi and porchetta look fantastic, whilst the verdure reminds me of Cantonese brocoli ahahaha :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2012 at 8:47 am Reply

Hahhaa about Chinese broccoli :P funny! I think you would have loved the scampi and tonno hehe while I’m really not a fan of cold entrees hehe

10. cquek November 25, 2012 at 10:59 pm Reply

These look so appetising on that plate. Who could resist?

11. Ames November 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm Reply

Birthday wishes to Kirk! Every thing looks yummy! Seems a bit pricey for me but for a special occasion perhaps :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2012 at 8:47 am Reply

Definitely save it for a special occasion ;) because I agree that $21 for a tiramisu is quite expensive! But you have to get the Pistachio gelato it was SO delicious!

12. hotlyspiced November 25, 2012 at 11:41 pm Reply

Happy birthday to Kirk and what a good choice for a restaurant. Rosetta looks very lovely and I love the colour scheme and the multi-coloured menus sound like a great idea. It’s a shame the pork crackle wasn’t up to scratch but the rest of the dishes look amazing. And that’s a really lovely photo of you Daisy – you take a great picture! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2012 at 8:48 am Reply

Ohhh you’re so sweet Charlie :) I wasn’t sure if it was a nice photo and was getting a little self-concious hehe ~ I’m really glad we went to Rosetta and agree that the colour scheme was lovely.

I think I’ll skip the pork next time and just go for the veal and the getati hehe

13. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 26, 2012 at 11:13 am Reply

Happy Birthday to Kirk and what a way to celebrate! I want to go to Rosetta on my birthday one day. When I get to Melbourne I’ll ring and you can come with me. :) I’d like to try that bonet as well but we could ask for extra caramel.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 26, 2012 at 11:21 am Reply

Hello Maureen :) thanks for dropping by! Definitely put Rosettta on top of your list and call me as soon as you know when you’re coming! I’ll pick you up from the airport and take you around! And more caramel would make the Bonet the perfect dessert ~

14. Tina @ bitemeshowme November 26, 2012 at 11:49 am Reply

Happy birthday to Kirk. I think this makes us realise that rating on urbanspoon may not always be accurate. It’s always just best to try it ourselves ;) Looks like you had a fantastic feed overall xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 9:25 am Reply

I definitely think Urbanspoon is not always accurate, they’re a good guide to have but hehe it’s always nice to find hidden gems :)

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 26, 2012 at 12:20 pm Reply

Aww Daisy, I love that you loved it and a great choice for a special birthday! Oh that ricotta and the meatballs-I had to close my mouth as I was drooling all over again! And yes that veal is enormous and as you say, it’s hard to show exactly how big it is (and it seems to be the chef’s choice too) :).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 9:28 am Reply

We really enjoyed our dinner at Rosetta Lorraine :) And it was definitely a great place to celebrate Kirk’s birthday! I’m definitely going back for more meatballs as well! LOL i’m tempted to make some at home now…even though I know it wont be as nice :P

16. theurbanmrs November 26, 2012 at 3:43 pm Reply

That looks amazing and every plate is well-crafted and has a special touch on it. And of course, they all look mouthwatering, even the menu looks so lovely. Love it! Happy birthday, Kirk.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 9:56 am Reply

Definitely a wonderful restaurant and a great choice by Kirk hehe I hope he had a good night with us! I sure enjoyed the dishes and in particular the GELATO hehe

17. winstonthehungryexcavator November 26, 2012 at 4:24 pm Reply

Happy….. 30th birthday to Kirk??? I’m kidding I’m kidding you don’t have to confirm or deny. This is such a great meal you are lucky to have such a talented friend. And he is lucky too to ahve such great friends like you and Ricky to celebrate a momentous time like this with him. Food here looks fantastic and I guess it’s always nice to dress up and go somewhere swanky in Crown for a special occasion with the ppl you care about. Love!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 9:58 am Reply

HAHAHAHAHAH You are too funny Wince :P I didn’t say it hahaha you did! I am definitely very lucky to have known Kirk gosh there are too many times when I’m always calling him and asking him to save me because I’ve done something wrong… with my baking lol

Food here is great and I would recommend you coming to try hehe ~ and don’t forget the desserts!

18. penny aka jeroxie November 26, 2012 at 9:26 pm Reply

Looking good! All the piggies in the house. LOL

19. liannelow November 26, 2012 at 9:55 pm Reply

WOW! everything looks amazing! Those meatballs look so good! Felt like having them immediately after I saw the picture! hehe and the desserts. goodness gracious me! haha it’s really nice that restaurants throw in some goodies knowing you’re there for a birthday celebration! hehe Definitely wanna go try this place but will probably head there next year! hehe great post dearie! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 27, 2012 at 12:21 pm Reply

Thanks love :) it’s hard to push such a long post literally over night but then at the same time it’s because everything is still fresh in my mind ahaha :) the meatballs were the best! I haven’t had them for so long that it really helped with my cravings!

The desserts were to die for as well, definitely need to put Rosetta down on your list, even though lol it doesn’t rate favorably on Urbanspoon :P

20. April November 28, 2012 at 4:50 pm Reply

I’m going there tonight so shall make sure I try to order your recommendations! It gets a lousy rating on Urbanspoon so I’m hoping it’s still good!