Panna Cotta Lamington – Flour and Stone

I planned our Little Aussie trip very well, and made sure I had a list of places that I had to visit and tried to tick them all off ~  I would also like to say thank you to all Sydney Instagrammers who left a comment giving me recommendations and suggestions of where to go ~ THANK YOU!

Flour and Stone

I was going through my photos and I had so many places I wanted to blog about…but nothing could have stopped me from blogging about Flour and Stone first. It has got to be one of the most praised and blogged about bakery in Sydney and I have to agree with everyone else it is FANTASTIC!

I previously emailed Charlie from Hotly Spiced and asked if she would like to meet up and she said yes ~ YAY! Our plane arrived at 10:30am, we immediately rushed to the hotel, dropped off our luggage and jumped into a cab. It’s actually quite easy to walk/drive past Flour and Stone on the quiet Riley St. As I was about to head in, someone called out “Daisy?” I turned around and there was Charlie :) I immediately recognised her from the photos on her blog ~

I was quite surprised that Flour and Stone was such a small cafe, no wonder they wouldn’t take bookings, but very kindly reserved a table for us, because Charlie had called them that morning. We got the nice table in the middle, I couldn’t take my eyes off the glass cabinet with all the cakes, tarts, pastries and most important the FAMOUS Panna Cottta Lamington!
But I was trying to be good and balance my diet with both savoury and sweets :P

Chicken, leek and targon pie $7 AUD

The menu was written on a large piece of butcher’s paper and placed on the wall, it had a small selection of sandwiches and pies, along with coffee and tea options. Being quite hungry, we promptly made our choices.  Charlie got the chicken, leek and tarragon pie, and even though I didn’t try it, she seemed to really enjoy it commenting it had a “lovely tarragon flavour”.

Poached Chicken, corn, avocado and lettuce with chilli mayo sandwich $10AUD

Mr Bao opted for the lighter option, Poached Chicken sandwich with corn, avocado, letter and chilli mayonnaise. We were both so impressed with how fresh and delicious this sandwich was ~ this is the perfect example of simple things done very well! The bread was toasted and had a lovely crunch, along with the poached chicken which was still tender and the chilli mayo was slightly spicy but not too hot. One word YUM!

Wagyu beef, mature cheddar and tomato relish sandwich $10 AUD

I actually wanted something quite salty and filling so, so I got the Wagyu beef sandwich with mature cheddar and tomato relish. Once again I was very impressed with the bread ~ It was so delicious! I’m not sure if they make it in house, but it was just so fresh! The wagyu beef reminded me of roasted beef with more flavour and it went very well with the mature cheddar cheese. I enjoyed it so much Mr Bao couldn’t even sneak a bite :P

Come to meeeeee :)

Now to cakes and sweet :) I really hope I didn’t scare Charlie, because I went all out…and ordered 5 things for the 3 of us lol

Panna Cotta Lamington $6.50 AUD

Please allow me to use caps locks :P THIS IS THE MOST FREAKING AMAZING LAMINGTON I HAVE EVER HAD! I’ve never liked lamingtons they’re dry, crumble with very little flavour and not enough coconut…but this was super moist, with a lovely chocolate coating, sweet raspberry  jam and heaps of coconut!

I can eat one now :)

This is SERIOUSLY the BEST can I repeat that? THE BEST LAMINGTON! Okay sorry, I’ll stop :P

Purple carrot cake $5.50AUD

Then the purple carrot cake :) I’ve never had a carrot cake made out of purple carrots before, you couldn’t really tell…it was light and moist with a small dollop of cream cheese frosting. I thought the cake could have been sweeter :P but Mr Bao said it was fine as it lol

Donut with jam and custard $4.50AUD

Charlie chose the donut filled with jam and custard, the donut had such a great texture, fluffy, bouncy and not at all dry like some donuts I’ve had :) It also had the perfect amount of jam and custard.

Salted Caramel Tart $5.5AUD

Have I told you I love Salted caramel? Couldn’t go pass a lovely looking salted caramel tart ~ we really liked the tart case and found the filling not that sweet, but Mr Bao and Charlie thought it could have been a little more ‘salted’ hehe

Rainbow Ginger Bread $3AUD

I remember seeing these pretty Ginger Bread cookies on Lorraine (Not Quite Nigella) blog and have been waiting to try these ~ they were too pretty to eat hehe. Once again I’m not a fan of gingerbread but Flour and Stone did a great job! They were still moist with a strong but not overpowering ginger taste ~

Mocha $3.5AUD

Flatwhite $3.5AUD

Mr Bao and I also got drinks, he got the flat white and I got my signature mocha. We both enjoyed our coffees and even though I usually like my coffees stronger, the light flavours went really well with all the cakes we had hehe ~

Charlie and Me ~

That concludes our first visit to Flour and Stone with Charlie :) It was the loveliest way to start our Little Aussie trip ~ Charlie is just like her blog, charming, funny and honest! I really enjoyed meeting up and hope I’ll see her again soon!

Back again!

Now you didn’t expect me to just leave Sydney like that did you? :D I couldn’t! Even though I was only in Sydney for 2.5 days, lol I managed to go back on the 3rd day before we went to Brisbane ~

This time I only went with Mr Bao and got more cakes!  I was very lucky and had got in touch with Nadine Ingram the owner and creator of Flour and Stone through Instagram thanks to Dex (Kewpielovesyou). She came out and greeted us and said she was impressed with my appetite and sweet tooth ~

More panna cotta :)

I basically came back just for this panna cotta lamington, Nadine told me she was inspired by another chef who use to do a similar version, but with a jelly filling instead of jam filling :) I would DIE for the recipe but I know lol it wont be shared so easily so in the mean time, I am happy to fly up to Sydney every so often just for this! Thanh (I Eat Therefore I am) even asked me to bring him back a few and I would if I wasn’t going to Brisbane :(

Rhubarb and ricotta tart $5.50 AUD

There was so much to choose from, but I took the advice from Nadine and the lovely lady behind the counter and tried the rhubarb and ricotta tart. It was fresh out of the oven and was still warm when we had it ~ I was really surprised that it had a sweet yet savoury taste, probably because of the ricotta. Mr Bao really enjoyed it because it wasn’t very sweet, while I just loved how warm and soft it was :)

Old fashioned Vanilla cake with cream and raspberry jam $5.50AUD

Nadine said that this was one of their best sellers apart from the panna cotta lamington and that they don’t make it every day. The vanilla cake was spongy, super moist with strong vanilla flavours. Definitely one of the best Vanilla cakes I’ve had for a very logn time!

After Mint tea for two $6AUD

We washed all the cakes and tarts down with this lovely After Mint tea :) I have this new thing for good peppermint tea that is strong but not so much that it tastes like chewing gum hahaha and this definitely quenched our thirst.

I honestly do not know how Nadine and her team do it…they have totally changed my perception of everything I don’t usually like to something so heavingly to eat! I HIGHLY recommend anyone going to Sydney to have to pay Flour and Stone a visit :) I am already planning my next trip back to Sydney just so I can come back ~

PS. Even though I wasn’t able to bring Thanh or anyone else the panna cotta lamington, I was able to bring back the hazelnut torte and everyone seemed to like it :)

Hazelnut Torte $16AUD

Flour and Stone on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , ,

42 thoughts on “Panna Cotta Lamington – Flour and Stone

1. hotlyspiced November 15, 2012 at 10:19 am Reply

Great post, Daisy! Thank you for all your kind words! I have to agree that the lamington is amazing and the best one I’ve ever had. I’ve been tempted to go back to Flour and Stone and just ask for a tray of those lamingtons to take home with me. Hope to see you again soon Daisy xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 15, 2012 at 11:48 am Reply

Thanks Charlie :) I would definitely go back and ask for a tray of lamingtons if I could! They are simply divine! Looking forward to meeting up with you again and definitely hope it’ll be in Melbourne next xoxo

2. Catherine November 15, 2012 at 10:39 am Reply

I’ve read so much about this place and sooo wanna go. It seems to have a bigger following than bourke st bakery now?! I really want to try this lamington now!! Haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 15, 2012 at 11:49 am Reply

I think so too :) I think Flour and Stone is getting even more popular ~ and I can’t believe I’m saying this as well, but I think I prefer it over than Bourke St Bakery now, because I found BSB a little commercialized last time I went :(

Hope you go soon!

3. andy1076 November 15, 2012 at 10:45 am Reply

mmmmm! looks delicious and the Wagyu..!! :9 Love it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 10:59 am Reply

It’s super delicious Andy :) When you come to Australia hopefully we’ll be able to make a trip to Sydney together ~ Hope you’ve been well lately!

• andy1076 November 16, 2012 at 11:19 am Reply

Been alright! I really gotta come to you soon! It’s at the top of my bucket list :D

4. Miss Piggy November 15, 2012 at 11:43 am Reply

You know I STILL haven’t been here – I think I’m worried about commuting for an hour and not being able to get a seat. I will make it one day though – I want to try the lamington, the pies & the doughnuts.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:00 am Reply

WOW I can’t believe you still haven’t gone to Flour and Stone :) it’s really delicious! But i know what you men about not being able to get a seat, I suggest going on a weekday if you have the day off and get there either early or at odd times e.g. 10am or 2pm when people are all at work :) Trust me it’s AMAZING!

5. Nicole@lamingtonsundays November 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm Reply

Oh my goodness, panna cotta lamington! I think I would die of happiness! :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:01 am Reply

It’s super super delicious :) Thanks for dropping by my blog!

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm Reply

I’m so glad that you enjoyed it! It’s such a delicious lamington isn’t it? :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:05 am Reply

I enjoyed it so much Lorraine :) Definitely coming back for some more!

7. theragingcook November 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm Reply

Beautiful! One chicken and targon pie pleaaaaase *licks lips* :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:06 am Reply

I think you would have loved the chicken and tarragon pie and the LAMINGTON hehe I can’t stress enough :P

8. Linda | The Urban Mrs November 16, 2012 at 5:12 am Reply

I’m gonna cry now – they all look so delicious and how wish I live next door to flour and stone. The chicken pie sounds very yummy and that rainbow gingercookie looks so adorable. Great choice!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:07 am Reply

I know what you mean Linda and I feel your pain!!! I just wished I lived in Sydney so then i’d be able to come here so much more often :) I wonder how they make the rainbow gingerbread cookie hehe

9. Hannah November 16, 2012 at 6:12 am Reply

I hope they one day do a peanut butter and jelly panna cotta lamington. That would be BEST.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:11 am Reply

Hahhaa oddly enough that sounds strange to me! But that’s only because I don’t really PB hehe but you will love it I’m sure!

10. Tina @ bitemeshowme November 16, 2012 at 8:25 am Reply

Amazing post. Can’t believe you ate so much – was there anything left in the store? I have to agree with you that their lammingtons are the best, ever, anywhere! There’s nothing quite like it and it really is amazing. I am a huge fan of their donuts as well – how on earth they get it to be that great is beyond me! I think Flour & Stone is fantastic all round. So glad you got to visit.. more than once. Come back soon! haha xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:12 am Reply

HAHAHA i couldn’t help but go back :) I just HAD to lol there was no reason not to go back :P The lamingtons were definitely the BEST but I loved them all ~

I can’t wait to come back to Sydney and next time I do we have to do a proper sit down and CATCH UP :) come to Melbourne too soon! xox

11. Cupcake Crazy Gem November 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm Reply

Wow Daisy I cannot keep up with all your posts these days! We are sharing a laptop now in Vancouver and we don’t have a TV, I used to always catch up on blogs whilst watching TV but now I can’t do that as the two are the same thing! so I’m way behind! but it sounds like you had an amazing trip and packed so much in, with all the good yummy stuff! That lamington looked and sounded so scrummy, I love the giant flakes of coconut!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 19, 2012 at 12:41 am Reply

Hello Gem :) so nice to see you pop by my blog ~ I understand how busy life can get! I know i do the exact same thing as you, blog read while I’m watching TV hehe. I had such an amazing time it was wonderful! I can’t wait to go back to Sydney!

Hope you’ve been well in Vancouver :)

12. Jennifer @ Delicieux November 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm Reply

Wow, that sounds like one amazing lamington! I’ve never liked lamingtons either, always too dry, and well, just boring. I’m sure I’d love this.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 19, 2012 at 8:51 am Reply

Trust me Jennifer you will fall in love with these immediately :)

13. Christine (@cookingcrusade) November 17, 2012 at 11:55 pm Reply

I’ve heard so many lovely things about this place – really seems worth a visit!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 21, 2012 at 3:40 pm Reply

You really need to go :) especially since you are in Sydney! I am so jealous hehe

14. libishski November 18, 2012 at 12:32 pm Reply

I would love to visit Flour and Stone one day. And meet Charlie too.

Lucky you! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 21, 2012 at 3:42 pm Reply

Charlie was lovely :) i’m so glad to have met her ~ and Flour and Stone is simply amazing! You have to go next time you go to Sydney :)

15. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm Reply

Ahh so much deliciousness. Would love to visit also.
    Heidi xo

16. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake November 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm Reply

Charlie looks like such a lovely person, glad to hear she’s as wonderful as she does on her blog! You had a feast there!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 21, 2012 at 3:46 pm Reply

Hello Jenny :) Charlie is definitely a great person ~ and i loved meeting her! LOL I would eat more if I wasn’t leaving so soon lol

17. melissaloh80 November 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm Reply

You have sold me on that panna cotta lamington! Will definitely be on mu must-visit list if/when I am next in Sydney.

18. My Kitchen Stories November 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reply

Wow you ate all that Daisy?. You are one dedicated blogger. Hope you had fun in Sydney (BTW a friend of mine did buy a tray of those lamingtons a little while ago

19. melissaloh80 November 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reply

You have sold me on that panna cotta lamington. Will definitely add it to my must-visit list if/when I make my next trip to Sydney.

20. Scrambled Megs November 19, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reply

i always love visiting new places – wish i could visit this one! i’ve been to lots of new sydney places recently. very exciting !

21. Ashley November 19, 2012 at 7:48 pm Reply

Aww man, that rhubarb cake looks like, THE BOMB. I had a delicious rhubarb cake in My Sister Says in Port Melbourne and haven’t come across anything like it that good. This looks like it would be a contender though…

22. Agnes November 19, 2012 at 9:21 pm Reply

Eeek that rainbow gingerbread cookie is SO cute. Everything sounds awesome but that cookie has stolen my heart. ;)

23. Ali November 21, 2012 at 10:27 pm Reply

That lamington must have been amazing if you went back for a second visit! Looks great! If only I’d known about this place last week when I was in Sydney myself!!

24. gourmetgetaway November 22, 2012 at 10:55 am Reply

What a gorgeous looking breakfast! I would never think to order porridge at a cafe, but yours looked amazing! What a fascinating story about Pope Joan! Really unimaginable!

25. liannelow November 23, 2012 at 11:01 pm Reply

Everything looks SO GOOD! Sadly didn’t get to try the hazelnut torte you got me, but I’m sure it was super good! hehe Can’t wait to go there when I do go to Sydney! hehe xx