Sweet Corn Tamale – Trippy Taco

Hello dear Readers :) I wasn’t going to blog about any Melbourne places for a little while, because I still have so many posts about Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide ~ But I couldn’t help but blog about our experience at Trippy Taco immediately, because I have a really funny story to go with it.

Trippy Taco

So the story is, I read Ms I-Hua’s post about Mexican food the night before, and had huge food envy and really wanted good Mexican food, so after convincing Mr Bao that Trippy Taco was the best place to go for dinner :) It was quite busy for a Saturday night and we weren’t able to get a table immediately, but after a short 10 minute wait, we got a table right next to the bar.

Everything was fine, until I looked at the menu while Mr Bao was in the toilet, I realised…that Trippy Taco was a vegetarian restaurant with vegan options LOL And if you haven’t noticed…Mr Bao a 100% CARNIVORE, this man needs his meat :P

He came back from the toilet and the first thing I said to him was, “Listen to me…take a deep breath and don’t freak out… but I just realised that this is a vegetarian restaurant, meaning NO meat, NO chicken, NO beef and NO lamb”. Mr Bao’s mouth nearly dropped to the floor and started giving me death stares lol as you can see from the picture below.

Mr Bao’s angry lol

He then said, “Ok…any is there any reason WHY we are having vegetarian food tonight?” hahaha I couldn’t help laughing and simply replied “Oh get over it, it’s Mexican food, there’ll be tons of cheese, cream and black beans it’ll fill you up and if you’re not we’ll go get you something else later”. I don’t think he was convinced :P But too bad!

Trippy Taco – Meal Size 2 tacos $12 AUD

We were both pretty hungry so we quickly ordered our dishes, starting with my Trippy Tacos, which was house-made corn tortillas with cheese, black bean, salad, salsa, avocado and lime juice. I’m new to tacos and have definitely jumped on the bandwagon hehe I really enjoyed them and thought they were quite light and fresh with the lime juice. But I didn’t really like the taste of the black beans, it was like they had this blue cheesy taste…not sure if it was the marinade or if there was goats cheese. Having said that, I will still recommend you trying these dainty tacos :)

Taquitos crispy corn tortillas $11 AUD

I’ve never had taquitos before, they remind me a little like springrolls hehe a crispy corn tortilla with a black bean filling topped with guacamole, salsa, cheese salad and lime juice. We both enjoyed the taquitos more because it was flavoursome and more filing with the large dollop of guacamole :)

Trippy Fries $6

LOL Mr Bao obviously wasn’t full so we got the Trippy Fries with Trippy seasoning, I think the best way to describe the seasoning would be a smokey BBQ taste ~ they were freshly fried and were piping hot when delivered to our table :)

Margherita $12AUD

Mr Bao was SO depressed due to the lack of ‘meat’ he decided that he needed a drink lol so he got the Margherita ~ I knew I should have stopped him. He’s never been good with tequila and soon he was talking and laughing more and louder than usual hahaha I had a sip and liked how it was very strong with a nice balance of tequila and lime.

Okay…I have to admit… I did feel kinda peckish after my tacos especially since… Mr Bao had one of mine! Meaning I only had one taco for dinner >_< not enough even for me. So of course it was time to get dessert! I was really surprised and impressed with the number of desserts they had, sweet tortillas, tamale and chocolate taqiotos.

Sweet Corn Tamale $12AUD

I was going to get the Nutella banana melt on a tortilla, but then the lovely waiter overheard that I wanted dessert and suggested the Tamale. I was a bit apprehensive at first, as I’ve never had a Tamale before and he did mention that traditionally they were only made savoury. For those who are unfamiliar tamale is made out of the same flour as the corn tortillas but it is wrapped in corn husks and often steamed or boiled.

But I decided to be adventurous and try their sweet corn tamale with bananas, maple syrup and vanilla ice-cream. And OMG let me repeat that OMG it turned out to be one of the best desserts I’ve had this year! I loved the soft, spongy texture which reminded me a little bit of the Zhong Zi, Chinese people at. The bananas and maple syrup really accentuated the sweetness from the tamale (corn dough) and when eaten with the ice-cream, it was pure BLISS! I’m going to have to stop there, if I don’t I’ll just go on and on and on about how cook this dessert was! Just go and try for yourself, I bet you’ll love it too :) Kelvin (HK Epicurus) agrees me and said it was the best dessert he had last year when he visited ~

Still sulking… lol

While I was fulling enjoying the Sweet Corn Tamale, Mr Bao was still sulking over the fact that he had not consumed any MEAT… gosh he’s such a baby! So he decided he wanted another drink…Sangria this time!

Sangria $6AUD

We both liked the Sangria and found it very refreshing and once again wasn’t very strong which was nice because I think Mr Bao didn’t need anymore alcohol :P He wont admit it but I thought he was getting a little tipsy hahaha

Despite of Mr Bao’s disapproval of Trippy Taco only because it’s a vegetarian restaurant, I really enjoyed it and that Sweet Corn Tamale made my day, heck it made my week :) Trippy Taco is definitely a cheap, chic and delicious place for dinner and even if you don’t want to do veggie tacos, simply go for desserts, it wont disappoint you :D

Trippy Taco on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

57 thoughts on “Sweet Corn Tamale – Trippy Taco

1. leaf (the indolent cook) November 13, 2012 at 12:40 am Reply

Okay, I must try the dessert! P.S. I’ve been there, never had the black bean tacos but I actually really love the tofu ones!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 13, 2012 at 11:15 am Reply

You HAVE to try Leaf you WILL love it! But warning maybe ask them to give you less maple syrup because I’m not sure if it’s too sweet for you hehe :)

2. ChopinandMysaucepan November 13, 2012 at 12:50 am Reply

Dear Daisy,

This restaurant would be a total nightmare because I don’t fancy Mexican, I don’t have a sweet tooth and I can’t stand tequila or sangria AND like Mr Bao, I need my meat.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 13, 2012 at 11:16 am Reply

Sorry that i’m laughing :) Because your reaction is too funny and very similar to Mr Bao ~ I actually like my meat too but don’t mind the occasional veggie and the dessert was the winner to me!

3. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals November 13, 2012 at 2:40 am Reply

I nearly fell off my chair looking at how upset Mr Bao was over not eating meat, hahahahhaah I understand his pain!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 13, 2012 at 9:55 pm Reply

Hahaha i know his pain too :) because I was quite peckish afterwards and thank gosh I had dessert ~

4. HK Epicurus November 13, 2012 at 3:05 am Reply

Thanks for reminding me I miss this haha! I am not jealous : ( I need to come back to Melb just to eat the tamale!!!! *PS: thanks for the mention dear, hope Mr Bao got his meat fix the day after :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reply

You are so welcome for the mention :) i was so excited when you left a comment on Instagram hehe I didn’t know their Tamale was so famous ~ He definitely got his meat fix don’t you worry!

5. Choc Chip Uru November 13, 2012 at 5:38 am Reply

Mmmmm so many options and delicious choices :D
    Need Mexican right now!

6. Andrew Blaxland November 13, 2012 at 6:14 am Reply

That’s a funny story, Daisy. I love the photos of Mr Bao. He does look like he’s suffering from the effects of the tequila. And as for the food! What did we learn in Adelaide? That this sort of food is the new trend xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 13, 2012 at 10:17 pm Reply

Hahha that’s true :) we did learn that it’s the next HUGE trend hehe ~ Mr Bao was definitely suffering but couldn’t help him :P

7. gourmetgetaway November 13, 2012 at 7:05 am Reply

Lol!! Poor Mr Boa!! Very funny story :)
    The things you make him do Daisy, no wonder he needs a good strong drink ;)
    I think the dessert was probably the best part of the meal though ;).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 13, 2012 at 10:33 pm Reply

Hahhaa I kind of felt sorry for him too :P but still it was a great dinner and the dessert was truly AMAZING!

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme November 13, 2012 at 8:27 am Reply

HAHAHA Poor MR Bao.. I can just picture his face due to his lack of meat intake. You know what’s quite funny? My boyfriend would react the same way. He loves his meat and could never, ever go vegetarian or even go a day without meat. So I completely understand why it was a hysterical situation. haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 13, 2012 at 10:37 pm Reply

Hahaha I know :) most guys are like that and to be honest :P i’m a bit like that too cuz I like my meat hehe ~ and wouldn’t have chosen to go there but we were there already we might as well try and enjoy hahaha and the dessert made my night :D

9. Ali November 13, 2012 at 8:36 am Reply

Oh no! My partner wouldn’t have coped with the lack of meat either! He most definitely would have gone a margarita as well! I do love Mexican and this place looks fab!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 9:53 am Reply

Hahaha I don’t think many males could cope with Vegetarian dinners :P But I didn’t mean it, I simply didn’t now hahaha but either way Mexican is GOOD and the DESSERT hehe don’t get me started!

10. Vien November 13, 2012 at 9:29 am Reply

I love vegetarian places!!! hehe one year, I dragged all of my friends to Vegie Bar for my birthday!! HAHAHA whoopsieeee

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 9:54 am Reply

Hahhaa you are too healthy :) Even I couldn’t do Veggie dinners all the time ~ I like veggie dishes but hmm full on Veggies meals aren’t really my thing to be honest :P

11. Catherine November 13, 2012 at 10:14 am Reply

Hahah I am on Mr Bao’s side!! Although I would be very tempted to drop by from the description of the dessert!! I can’t stand black beans or beans in burritos so I NEED meat/fish in my tacos haha now I’m craving tacos from Touche Hombre >_<

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 9:55 am Reply

HAHHAA It wasn’t intentional I don’t put that poor guy in misery for no reason hahaha :P I’m telling you Catherine you will LOVE the dessert and ME after you’ve tried it ~ I suggest you going to Huxtaburger first then Trippy Taco for dessert hahaha

12. Christine (@cookingcrusade) November 13, 2012 at 10:17 am Reply

Hahahahahah love that story about Mr Bao sulking over no meat heehee. That first pic of him being mad is sooo funny! That sweet corn tamale must be pretty impressive if its the best dessert you’ve had all year! Time to fly to Melb and order up! Hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 9:57 am Reply

He is an idiot :P seriously being Vego for one night will NOT kill him but apparently it was too much for him hahaha :) The sweet corn tamale omg don’t get me started hehe ~

You have to come to Melbourne soon!!!

13. All You Do Is Eat November 13, 2012 at 10:22 am Reply

Haha this is too funny!! Love the sulking photo especially! And also, I am so jealous of this restaurant. It looks amazing!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:07 am Reply

Hahhaa It was not even staged he just made all those sulking stupid expressions hahaha I couldn’t help but take photos of him :P it food was amazing he’s just being a baby!

• All You Do Is Eat November 14, 2012 at 11:22 am Reply

Haha my bf would have been the same! He’s so stubborn with food. I’ll be like “try this” and he’ll be like “no I hate it” then try it and go “oh, okay, that is nice”. LOL

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:25 am Reply

HAHAHA yup tha’ts just like Mr Bao gosh men are such babies :P and really I was a bit shock when I found out it was all veggo too but seriously GET OVER IT was my reaction :P

Plus desserts are always the most important to me :D

• All You Do Is Eat November 14, 2012 at 11:26 am Reply

Hahaha exactly. And vegetarian food is so delicious even if you love meat (which I do!)!!

14. Norma Chang November 13, 2012 at 12:07 pm Reply

I feel badly for Mr Bao, glad you had a good time.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:08 am Reply

Hahha you don’t need to feel bad for him Norma :) You’re too kind! He needs to be veggo sometimes too it’s good for him!

15. vegeTARAian November 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reply

Oh I LOVE Trippy Taco!! I didn’t make it there on my last visit to Melbourne.. perfect excuse to come back ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:09 am Reply

Ohh what a shame you didn’t end up going last time :( I actually did think of you when I got the tacos with black bean hehe did you have the sweet corn tamale!?!

16. The Life of Clare November 13, 2012 at 5:58 pm Reply

This place looks amazing! It looks absolutely stunning! I love tacos and I love vego options!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:13 am Reply

I’m not a big fan of vego options usually :P But Trippy Taco is GOOD hehe ~ and the sweet corn tamale!

17. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 13, 2012 at 6:17 pm Reply

Melbourne really is going through a Mexican thing isn’t it! And hehe I think I’d welcome the vegetarian version every once in a while :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:18 am Reply

Definitely is Lorraine and I’m loving it :) I can be veggo sometimes too actually most of the time as long as I have dessert and that’s vegetarian right? :P

18. theragingcook November 13, 2012 at 6:52 pm Reply

I’m with Mr Bao, I need meat and blood and protein (from dead animals)
    *roooooaaaarrrr!* lol, melbourne still hasn’t gotten over mexican!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:20 am Reply

HAHAHA well you’ll get plenty of ANIMALS tonight I THINK :) Are you not into MExican? Me loving it!

19. msihua (@msihua) November 13, 2012 at 10:13 pm Reply

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA You didn’t read my post properly! NOT MY FAULT! He CANNOT be mad at me :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:20 am Reply

HAHHAA i’m not blaming you :P I agree it’s my fault but still LOL Mr Bao isn’t happy that I was inspired by your post hahha just ignore him he’s an idiot :P

20. kellysiew November 14, 2012 at 2:47 am Reply

Frank would be so happy to go to this place. Hahahahahha he’s such a weirdo. :P Marking this down for next Melbourne visit.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:23 am Reply

Hahaaha i can imagine him being very happy at Trippy Taco definitely go next time and i’ll come with if you are gonna get the sweet tamale :)

21. Hannah November 14, 2012 at 6:14 am Reply

Okay, so, note to self: Mr Bao is not going to like me and my vegan inclinations….

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 11:23 am Reply

Hhahaa yup definitely no vegan he will kill me :P have you always had vegan incliations?

22. Zoe November 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm Reply

Mr Bao is so funny… I can help myself laughing seeing all his funny disappointing expression. I don’t think I can go to this place too because my husband and son are like Mr Bao :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 14, 2012 at 2:31 pm Reply

Hahhahahhaa what a shame Zoe because it’s such a good place :) why are men such meat lovers hahhaa

23. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 14, 2012 at 7:57 pm Reply

yay! Want to try this place. It looks so delicious, thanks for the reminder!
    Heidi xo

24. Nic @diningwithastud November 14, 2012 at 8:37 pm Reply

Bahahaha men are hilarious ;) Stud was the same before we went vego. But sangria fixes everything ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 15, 2012 at 9:01 am Reply

Hhahaa men are just annoying :P oh I didn’t know you were a vegetarian now :)

25. Profiteroles & Ponytails November 14, 2012 at 10:27 pm Reply

Men and their meat…hopefully he has recovered now? I would think that delicious looking meal compensated but men have a wonky scale they use when weighting the good and the bad.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 15, 2012 at 9:02 am Reply

Hahaha he’s recovered now, but still saying he wont go back :P but I’m just going to ignore him hehe and I’m still going to go back for the Sweet Corn Tamale :D

26. Ming @ sweetandsourfork November 14, 2012 at 11:13 pm Reply

Oooh I love tamales, so I’m not the only one who thought they were like zongzi! And tsk, men and their meat; have you ever noticed how surprised they look after they have a satisfying vegetarian meal and you remind them of that?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 15, 2012 at 9:12 am Reply

Hahaha you’re definitely not the only one Ming :) so glad you thought that it tasted lke zongzi as well the mushy but delicious kind of texture.

LOL I don’t think Mr Bao was that satisfied but I sure was hehe :D

27. Cupcake Crazy Gem November 17, 2012 at 12:28 pm Reply

Hahaha I love everything about this post! and I feel Mr Bao’s pain! I am the exact same, I whine so much to Byron if he cooks a dish without meat in it and I tell him it won’t fill me up! I need my meat! and I did the exact same thing, before we came to Vancouver I bookmarked loads of restaurants I had researched that I wanted to try especially Mexicans – they’re my fave! and the other night I realised we were on one of the streets where a Mexican I wanted to try was…until we got to the door and saw that it was only vegetarian! I freaked out and refused to go in! Good on Mr Bao for staying! haha

28. Ashley November 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm Reply

Bahaha, I’m always worried I’m not feeding Brad enough when we go out, but it usually all works out :)

I haven’t been to Trippy Taco since they moved to Gertrude street, but it looks awesome! I had the savoury tamale last time which I found so filling! But want to try the tacos :)