Adelaide Hilton – Eat Drink Blog 3 Part 2

Wow :) I didn’t know everyone would be so interested in the Eat Drink Blog 3 conference YAY! ~ I sure had heaps of fun hehe!  As promised this is part 2. After the amazing Central Market tour, the food bloggers were split for the winery tours, one group was to go to Barossa Valley and the other was to go to Mclaren Vale the two popular winery areas in South Australia.

Hanhdorf, Adelaide

Because partners weren’t invited and I felt bad leaving Mr Bao all by himself for two days lol I decided to forgo the winery tour and instead we made our own little trip to Hanhdorf. Which is also known as the German town of Adelaide ~ and is about 25km from the CBD ~ We had already visited last time, so we knew what we wanted to do and EAT :P

German Feast at Hahndorf

We settled for a German pub and ordered a whole platter with pork hock, pork chop and lots of sausages! I’m going to do a post just dedicated to Hanhdorf ~ Please give me sometime as I write these posts :)

Mr Bao and I had so much fun in Hahndorf that we lost track of time! We had to rush back to the hotel, as I needed to get change for the Eat Drink Blog dinner at the Adelaide Hilton. When I arrived I was overtaken by the beautiful tables set up and the amount and variety of food available to us!

Food bloggers mingling

We started off by mingling with each other and had a few drinks and snacks before the real feast began! I’m SO glad I brought a dress with me hahaha I was gonna rock up in jeans and a T-shirt, while everyone else was so pretty in a dress :)

Roast Lamb on Spit

I don’t think I’ve seen a whole lamb being roasted in front of me before :) and even though I don’t eat lamb, I couldn’t help but inhale the lovely smell it ~ the roast lamb was then made into little sliders, which I didn’t have but looks awfully succulent!

Lamb Sliders

Thanks Ashely and Simon for being fantastic hand models :P

Dinner Menu

Dennis Leslie the Executive Chef of The Brasserie at Adelaide, was the creator of this truly magnificent menu! It had a strong Mexican influence which is definitely very popular now, turns out that Dennis was inspired by his recent trips to New York and these were some of the dishes he had over there. I immediately felt so so so lucky to have been accepted as one of the food bloggers to attend EDB.

Empanadas and Juka with lime and Garlic mayonnaise

We were soon ushered to take a seat and let the feast begin! Starting with the empanadas and juka with lime and garlic mayonnaise, I didn’t try the empanadas but the juka with that addictive lime and garlic mayannoise was just so delicious! I’ve actually never heard of juka though…and still not sure if that was the potato but doesn’t matter it was YUM!

Grilled corn with roasted garlic aioli and Parmesan cheese

There were so many dishes, I wasn’t able to take a photo or try all of them but I did manage to try most dishes I took photos of ~ and one of them was this grilled corn with lime and roasted garlic aoili.

The grilled corn was sweet and juicy then paired with the roasted garlic aoili, topped with Parmesan cheese! I haven’t had the famous grilled corn from Mamasita in Melbourne, but I think it’s safe to say this is DEFINITELY comparable :P Dennis is so generous and kind that he even posted up the recipe for the grilled corn on his website, now I can’t wait to try making this at home :)

Grilled Piri Piri Chicken

Next up was the Piri Piri chicken, it was well marinated with strong piri piri flavours and I had the breast part which was so tender! Definitely not the average Nando’s grilled chicken ~

Smokey Beef Ribs with Chipotle Sauce

This was the WINNING dish for me :) Yes it even trumps the desserts (well okay not really) but it was so close! LOL it was the softest, most delicate piece of meat I have had! It was the definition of ‘fall of the bone’ texture! It was so delicious I couldn’t help but eat one, two maybe three pieces :P Would LOVE to get the recipe…but I know that lol I’d never have the skill or patience to make it hehe ~

Quesadillas with bean filling

I was so full from all the food, that I couldn’t consume any of these Quesadillas, I would have loved to as Ash said that it was fresh and crispy ~ Really wished I had a larger stomach so I could try even more of these dishes!

Dessert trolley

There was a quick break between the main dishes and dessert :) Which was the part that I was most excited about and boy was I excited ! It turned out to be a HUGE chocolate fountain with nothing less than the famous Haigh’s chocolate with churros, Beerenberg strawberries, Tres Leche Cake and Alfajores with dulce de leche.

Plate of Happiness

I couldn’t think of a better way to describe it lol ‘Plate of Happiness’ the chocolate was divine! It’s actually Win Win’s favourite Haighs chocolate, with the churros that was already covered in cinnamon chocolate YUM YUM YUM! I didn’t take a photo of the alfajores with dulce de leche but it was SO GOOD! I only had one but really wanted another one if I could!

Tres Leche Cake

This is probably the first time I have had Trees Leche Cake which is a 3 milk cake :) And surprisingly I wasn’t really fond of it, I’m not really sure why… it tasted like a cross between condensed milk and milk powder? Bryan on the other hand really liked it and even had another piece after the first one!

Now that concludes Part 2 of EDB ~ all the food was so fantastic I didn’t want to leave…I just wanted to eat and eat and eat! Would like to say a huge Thank You to the EDB committee and Adelaide Hilton for organising such an unforgettable dinner!

Tagged: , , , , , ,

39 thoughts on “Adelaide Hilton – Eat Drink Blog 3 Part 2

1. thelifeofclare November 9, 2012 at 8:43 am Reply

It all looks wonderful! What a fantastic experience!

2. Choc Chip Uru November 9, 2012 at 9:22 am Reply

So much range and delicious food :)

3. Tina @foodfortina November 9, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

Yum yum yum yum yum!!! And awwww, you and Mr Bao are very cute :) And you’re right about the smokey beef ribs – I wouldn’t have the patience Heston has of slowcooking for 72 hours for juicy tender soft meat. Hmm, I’ve never heard of the Tres Leche Cake before, 3 milk doesn’t sound very appetising to me.
    And wow the EDB dinner menu is so long! In times like this, I would also love a large stomach and high metabolism, haha, especially since I’m planning on a 30 day food tour this December where I’m just gonna eat out everyday hahaha, but it’ll be worth it, cos I’ve been waiting all year!
    Looking forward to the part 3!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 10:18 am Reply

I saw that on your blog WOW 30 day food tour that is AMAZING and I would love to do that too :) But lol I’ve gotta detox a little after EDB we ate SO much food!

The EDB menu was truly amazing, I never expected to be so spoilt with all the food! I’m still dreaming about the smokey beef ribs hehe but nahhhh never had the patience :P

Yeah the 3 milk cake just wasn’t my favourite…but maybe that’s just me hehe

Enjoy your food tour xox

4. hotlyspiced November 9, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

I loved the beef ribs too. I thought those were pork sliders not lamb! I didn’t have any as I thought they looked pretty substantial and I feared a big meal was ahead of us. And it certainly was. I had trouble keeping up with all the dishes that kept appearing and then being moved around the table. Such a great night. Would love to re-live it xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 10:20 am Reply

Same here Charlie :) I could feast like that every night hahaha all the dishes were so lovely and I think it’s very generous of Denise to share his grilled corn recipe with us!

Can’t wait to go back to Adelaide hehe I’m mesmerised by their fresh produce and yummy dishes :D

5. gourmetgetaway November 9, 2012 at 11:39 am Reply

Great choice Daisy, I went to Hahndorf with the family a few years ago as part of our own little getaway to the Barossa and surrounding areas. It is so quaint, and so much food. YUMMY!

6. Ames November 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reply

The corn looks amazing! And I think ‘plate of happiness’ is such a cute name :D

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 9, 2012 at 2:42 pm Reply

OK this is going to sound silly but as gorgeous as the food was, I was totally in love with Ashlee’s blue nail polish. Do you know what colour it was? I think I’m going to have to ask her!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 7:11 pm Reply

Hahhaa you are so funny Lorraine :) I can’t believe the nail polish got your attention and not the food :P

8. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm Reply

mmm lamb on the spit!! favourite.
    Heidi xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 7:10 pm Reply

You would have loved it then :) I don’t eat lamb so hehe didn’t try ~

9. Miss Piggy November 9, 2012 at 2:57 pm Reply

Handorf is AWESOME!!! The Hilton dinner was great – such good fun, though a little bit too much food. The corn was AMAZING…can’t believe you were almost too full for dessert. I’ve had 3 Milk cake at a Peruvian restaurant here in Sydney…loved it.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm Reply

I agree that there was a little bit too much food, but it was good to know that the left overs were packed and sent somewhere else :) WOO HOO! I’m so glad that Dennis has posted up the recipe and it doesn’t look TOO difficult yay!

10. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals November 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm Reply

Oh man this event gets better and better! So sorry you didn’t attend the winery tour, we absolutely LOVE hanging out at wineries, even though we have no idea about wine, hahah!

The dinner looked fabulous! I probably would have starved myself the whole day so there would be room to taste all that deliciousness. Can’t wait to see part 3!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm Reply

It’s alright about the winery tour :) I think it was only fair that I did something else with Mr Bao and we really enjoyed Hanhdorf and had so much food too hehe ~

Oh and I’m just like you, I have NO idea about wine, never could tell the rich stuff from the cheap ones hahaha

The dinner was fantastic never expected such an elaborate meal! I have just posted up part 3. Hope you’ve had a nice weekend!

11. Tina @ bitemeshowme November 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm Reply

What a great meal. That corn looks out of this world!!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm Reply

You should try making it Tina :) Dennis has posted the recipe and it doesn’t look too difficult hehe ~

12. fatboo (@fatbooo) November 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reply

I was soo happy with that corn dish, Daisy. Definitely just as good as mamasita’s. :D it was quite an epic dinner, wasn’t it? I felt so important, ha ha ha!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm Reply

Hahaha you definitely was happy with the corn :) Did you have another piece? I know had I so many servings of the beef ribs lol :P We were definitely treated like VIPs hehe

13. Amanda November 9, 2012 at 6:13 pm Reply

Lovely pic’s thanks Daisy. Glad you had a great time!

14. Ali November 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm Reply

So glad you went to Hahndorf! Although, at the same time I’m a bit disappointed you didn’t go on one of the winery tours! I love Hahndorf and I know exactly what pub you went to for that meal! I went there a couple of months ago ;) I love lamb spit, so I would have been quite at home with that! Sliders are very popular at the moment, aren’t they? Look forward to EDB part 3!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 6:55 pm Reply

I really liked Hahndorf :) I have to go everytime I go to Adelaide hehe and even though it was a shame I didn’t go to the wineries that’s ok cuz I went to Barossa Valley last time and it’s good! Gives me even more reason to come back to Adelaide YAY! Sliders are definitely the IN thing lately hehe :) But i can’t resist them, they’re super cute and dainty :P

15. theragingcook November 9, 2012 at 10:30 pm Reply

Awesome lol, Winston’s posting it, you’re posting it, who’s next on Adelaide hahaha’

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm Reply

Sorry to spam you with EDB posts :P i just did my last one hahaha promise no more after that! But I really wanted to share with everyone our experiences ~

16. thehungerpangs November 9, 2012 at 10:32 pm Reply

Omgosh, I was just craving empanadas and then BAM! Saw them in your post! Hahaha :) What a feast! You must have been super full by the end of it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm Reply

Hahaha it happens to me all the time! I’m craving something and then another blogger posts about it :) It’s like they can read my mind~ Gosh I was definitely full! Couldn’t really move afterwards!

17. dnleslie November 10, 2012 at 12:57 am Reply

HI,

Thanks for the lovely words about the dinner, believe me I was like a kid in toy chop cooking that dinner and that is when good food comes out; when the cook enjoys the process of it all, making the guests happy.

I learned about Juka and Patacones (fried Plantain) through a Colombian friend. We ate many of it in a Cuban restaurant in Washington D.C., weird place to have it! Latin Americans have it in replacement to Potato chips. It is made from “cassava root’, steamed a little and deep fried crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and served with a lime aioli. We had many of these whilst drinking mojitos made from real Havana Rum.

Its a shame about the tres leche cake, I grew up with this type of dessert as a kid. Filipinos (having rich Spanish back ground, heavily influenced in their cooking) cook similar desserts. I don’t eat sweets or desserts but this would have to be one of my favourites. And how special were the alfajores?

The setting was lovely, the people were nice and the whole night was something special! Thank you once again for the lovely comments.

Kind Regards
    Dennis Leslie

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 6:51 pm Reply

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for spending the time to drop by my blog and leaving such a long comment :) I really appreciate it when people especially busy Chefs like yourself comes back and explains the ingredients and components of their dishes.

You definitely nailed it :) Everything was magnificent and I can’t want to come back to Adelaide, you guys have so much more fresh produce than we do in Melbourne ~

Ohh thank you for explaining what Java is :) Because I had no idea and did lots of Googling but still wasn’t able to find it ~ Now I know and you said ‘cassava root’ that’s where tapioca is extracted from!

Yes sorry that I didn’t really like the tres leche cake but I could eat the alfajores all day LONG! OMG LOL I’m slavating for one right now!

Thank you once again for the amazing dinner and hope to see you soon in Adelaide again and if you do come to Melbourne, please let me know! I would love to recommend cafes/restaurants to you and even show you around!

Cheers,
      Daisy

18. libishski November 11, 2012 at 8:36 pm Reply

Whoa, look at all that yummy food!

That was so sweet of you to flag the wine tours to keep your mister company. I probably wouldn’t have done that for Marty hahaha. Wines > Marty.

I wonder where the next EDB conference will be held?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm Reply

Lol I didn’t mind cuz I ve already visited barossa valley last time :) and I felt bad for that poor guy coming to Adelaide with me hehe ~

I m not sure but I m hoping Tasmania haha ~

19. kellysiew November 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm Reply

Lol at Libby’s comment about the winery tour. But I agree with her too! :P wow I would love to attend EDB when I return to Oz….. The amount of food is just crazy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm Reply

Hahaha yeah we were constantly fed lol truly amazing hope we can go together next year!

20. theurbanmrs November 12, 2012 at 5:08 pm Reply

Gulp! I hope you wore loose dress that night. :) I like Tres Leche Cake – what we have here is very custard-y and saucy, more like bread pudding with sauce. However, I always feel bad after eating it.

21. Christine (@cookingcrusade) November 13, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

Oh man that dinner was absolutely amaazing! Was so lovely to meet you finally there too hehe :D