Central Market Tour – Eat Drink Blog 3 Part 1

Thank gosh we have a public holiday today here in Melbourne :) I have just got back from Adelaide from the Eat Drink Blog 3 (EDB) food bloggers conference. It’s the first time, I’ve attended such a large food bloggers event! Over 80 bloggers from all over Australia, met up, talked, ate and drank about everything related to food :) I had SO much fun!

Want to give you an overview of whole the conference, I have decided to separate it into a couple of posts my apologies if it’s a little long, but there’s so much to cover hehe so bare with me! I ll try to be brief!

Central Market Adelaide

I dragged Mr Bao with me :) so very early on Saturday morning we rushed to the airport and arrived in Adelaide at 8:30am. We quickly picked up our rental car and then headed off to the Central Market where we were meeting at 10am for registrations. Did you know that the Central Market is the largest market of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere? I didn’t know that and was slightly overwhelmed, when we stepped foot into the market.
We hadn’t had breakfast yet, so we found ourselves wondering around the market looking for Zuma cafe. Then someone called out ‘Daisy’, I turned around and found Charlie (Hotly Spiced) and Maureen (The Orgasmic Chef). They had arrived in Adelaide the night before, and were looking for breakfast too ~ so we decided to go together :) Winston (The Hungry Excavator) also found and joined us ~
Took us a while but we found Zuma cafe, breakfast here was simple and fulfilling, hoping to do a proper review a little bit later ~

Thanks Christina and Amanda for organising EDB 3!

At 10am we met up at the Central Market Kitchen, I was a little overwhelmed at first ~ just because there were so many bloggers all in the same room hahaha gosh we re a loud bunch :D It was also quite amusing to see us all trying to identify each other through our Blog names and Twitter Handle ~ Christina (The Hungry Australian) and Amanda (Lamb, Ears and Honey), organisers of the EDB 3 then gave some brief introductions, before we were split into groups and started our tour around Central Market :)

Aubergines Fruit and Veg Stall

We start off at Aubergines fruit and vegetable stall ~ Owners Nick and Amelia have operated this stall for over 25 years and they pride themselves in the best produce they can find in South Australia :)
We were all given a little sample of their fruits ~ the mangoes and blueberries were fresh and SO sweet! Mangoes are definitely one of my favourite type of fruit. Other people wanted to come and collect samples too but were turned down, gosh I felt like a VIP :D

Lucia’s Pizza Bar

Quickly moving along, next stop Lucia’s Pizza Bar, Adelaide’s first Pizza bar, and are famous for using traditional and authentic family recipes. Lucia’s also doubles up selling speciality sauces, pates, sausages and a range of goodies :)

Lucia’s also sells a range of goodies ~

Now, I’ve never had a good experience with polenta lol last time I had it, it resembled something very much like baby food, it was dry and gluggy. But this white polenta with Lucia’s tomato sauce was nothing but delicious! It had such a smooth and velvety texture ~

Lucia’s white polenta with tomato sauce

I really regret not buying a bag of white polenta before leaving…hope I will be able to find it in Melbourne too and remake this dish.

Providore cake and dessert stall

We then went to Providore! I had already had my eye on the stall with the massive chocolate fountain upon walking in :) so was super glad we got to stop by and have a chat with Mark  the owner :)

Mark Gleeson from Providore

Mark told us that Providore specialises in gourmet and unique cakes and sources them from individual home bakers all over South Australia :)

Cakes sourced from individual home bakers :)

I think it’s a wonderful idea for Providore to get their cakes supplied from home bakers ~ Because I truly believe homemade cakes area always the best! It also gives homebakers the confidence and support they need to continue to bake at home :) We didn’t get to try any cakes here sooooo I went back with Mr Bao after the tour :P Will be blogging about it soon!

The Yoghurt Shop

I love yoghurt! Eat it everyday :) So I’m quite picky with my yoghurt ~ I like it thick, creamy and RICH, it’s hard to find! But The Yoghurt Shop totally nailed it! Their yoghurt was DELICIOUS! So many of us – Byran and Chrstine were swooning over their yoghurt and really hope that they will start selling in Melbourne!

San Jose Small Goods

Next up was San Jose Small Goods :) a small boutique store that specialises in Spanish artisan pork products such as chorizo, ham and pancetta. It was fascinating to learn that everything is hand made and they only use free range pigs and also female pigs are a preference.

Jose and his partner :)

We were given samples of their ham and cured chorizo and you could tell that it wasn’t the commercial type you get from the supermarkets. It was addictive, I just wanted piece after piece! But had to restrain myself hehe :P Sighh once again…a shame we weren’t able to bring any home…I checked online… you need to order a minimum of $300AUD for them to deliver…anyone willing to share with me?!

Mr Bao crashing the tour!

LOL My camera battery was dying so I had to call Mr Bao to the rescue, so he decided to come crash the tour :P He seemed really interested in what Jose had to share too ~ He managed to get a piece of ham too and LOVED IT!

Vegas Poultry

We stopped by briefly at Vegas Poultry :) the organic free range poultry stall, they have been in the market for over 20 years, Frank the owner wasn’t there but his daughter was lovely and explained to us, her Dad wasn’t much of a scholar and decided to quit school 20 years ago and purchase this poultry store hehe ~ We did get to sample their pandan chicken the next day at the luncheon that was prepared for us ~

Mushroom Man

Our last stop was at the Mushroom Man :) the stall that only sells MUSHROOMS! I love mushrooms but never knew there were so many different types, I usually just eat the button ones ~

Mushroom man himself ~ Marco!

Meet the Mushroom Man himself ~ Marco lol he explained to use the stall has been at the Central Market for 30 years and he has basically grown up at the market and described himself as a ‘Market Baby’ hahaha he was very funny! He introduced us to the black garlic!

Black Garlic

Black garlic is garlic that has been fermented in high temperature ~ it doesn’t have the sharp taste raw garlic has, instead it’s quite sweet a very unique taste but I liked it ~ not sure what I would do with it though hahaha do you have any ideas?

Now that concludes the Central Market Tour :) I had so much getting to know the stall owners, their history and their products ~ you can tell that each and every one of them are passionate about what they do! I recommend anyone who visits Adelaide to MUST GO to the Central Markets ~ I can’t believe I missed out last time hehe :) For more information about the stalls and the market opening times please visit their website.

Phew that took me ages to edit the photos and write the review ~ stay in tuned for part 2!

Tagged: , , , , , ,

55 thoughts on “Central Market Tour – Eat Drink Blog 3 Part 1

1. Ai-Ling@blueapocalypse November 7, 2012 at 12:04 am Reply

Great photos Daisy! It was lovely to meet you. I didn’t even know that Providore got home bakers to supply their cakes. No wonder they all looked so good and wholesome. The Yoghurt Shop was my favourite, I had the chocolate and honeycomb with yoghurt for breakfast!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 9:22 am Reply

Thanks Ai-Ling :) it took me SO SO SO long to edit these photos hahaha I’m not usually this quick with my posts but I really wanted to share with everyone what we did at EDB as soon as possible!

The Yoghurt Shop and Providore was definitely my favourite, ohhh they had chocolate and honeycomb for breakfast? Damn i just had passionfruit and that was YUMMEH too!

2. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals November 7, 2012 at 2:54 am Reply

OMG Daisy you are so lucky to have the opportunity to attend this blogger event! You are also lucky Mr. Bao is willing to accompany you. Central Market looks like a dream come true for any food blogger, when we went to San Francisco, the Ferry Building looks to have a similar feel, though on a much smaller scale. Oh I am so envious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 9:24 am Reply

Definitely agree with you Jeno :) so so so lucky to attend this conference! It was simply amazing! LOL Mr Bao didn’t want to go but I just dragged him with me :P

I would literally move to Adelaide and live there just because of their Central Market, another thing I noticed was it was SO clean :) which is always nice, because some of the markets in Melbourne aren’t as nice hehe

Ohhh there’s on in San Francisco? I’d love to visit that one too! I’m sure there are plenty of wonderful markets in the US that you can visit ~

3. Choc Chip Uru November 7, 2012 at 5:40 am Reply

I cannot wait till part 2 my friend this sounds like such an INCREDIBLE experience :)
    It’s annual no? I MUST GO (damn school ;))

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:21 pm Reply

It’s annual so you have to come next year :) it was so much fun! Hoping to upload part 2 tomorrow yay!

4. Linda | The Urban Mrs November 7, 2012 at 6:02 am Reply

I love food blogging event – what a fun way to meet and greet new friends. This is so cool and black garlic? Sounds very interesting. I hope it doesn’t cost $300 to deliver that to your home. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:22 pm Reply

Definitely fun to meet everyone and try to match a face to a blog :) hahhaa because you never know and not everyone will upload their own photo hehe ~

I’m not sure if anyone will share with me…$300 is a lot of meat :P

5. The Life of Clare November 7, 2012 at 8:02 am Reply

I would so loved to have been at this event! Maybe next year! How absolutely fantastic! I love this market, I’ve had the pleasure of visiting it only once. I can’t wait to read the further parts to this tale.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm Reply

You have to come next year :) it’s so much fun to be able to meet everyone ~ lots of fun indeed! Hoping to meet up with you next year at the EDB hehe

Will also try to upload the next part in the next couple of days hehe YAY!

6. Hannah November 7, 2012 at 8:02 am Reply

Aw, I wish I could have been there! Looking forward to your other write-ups :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm Reply

You should’ve been there! But you are excused cuz you’re having a once in the life time holiday in the US hehe

7. gourmetgetaway November 7, 2012 at 8:27 am Reply

Oh Daisy I am so jealous!!! I really wish I had of heard about it in time to attend!!! I am so pleased I can read along with your stories. Next year I will be there with bells on!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 8:16 am Reply

You were definitely missed Julie :( But it’s okay next year you’ll have to apply early and we’ll go together woo hoo! I Can’t wait! xoox

8. Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad & Mixed Veg November 7, 2012 at 8:43 am Reply

A lovely post Daisy. Great photos. Was great meeting you! And Mr Bao too! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm Reply

Thanks Kim :) it was super nice to meet up with you and hahhaa i can’t believe people recognise Mr Bao before me nowwwww he’s FAMOUS! LOL

All the best with the move to Sydney!

9. Vien November 7, 2012 at 9:52 am Reply

love markets!! hehe I tend to buy too much stuff whenever I’m in a market!!! Jealous of your little detour to Adelaide :P hehehehe Can’t wait to read more about it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reply

Me too!! I always over buy whenever we go to the Vic Market and OMG Prahran market is the worse hahha I always go crazy :P

I’ll try to post about part 2 in the next couple of days hehe

10. Ames November 7, 2012 at 10:25 am Reply

Wow, this sounds great! I’d love to go one year :)

11. hotlyspiced November 7, 2012 at 11:30 am Reply

It was so funny bumping into you in the market. I turned around and ‘bang’ there you were right in front of me and it was so unexpected. Didn’t I see you in Sydney just a few weeks ago? You do get around. Great review of the market xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:45 pm Reply

Hhahaa i know Charlie :) it was a lovely surprise and yup I only saw you hmmm the week before last! I’m hoping to see you again sometime soonish lol maybe not this year but definitely next year!

You have to come visit me in Melbourne too!

12. Nic@diningwithastud November 7, 2012 at 12:19 pm Reply

LOL I thought the same about the garlic. It tasted like a funky caramelised onion :/
    Awesome shots!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm Reply

Thanks Nic :) were you at EDB? I don’t think I had the chance to say HI! :( oh wells next time hehe the black garlic was definitely different hehe

13. Tina @foodfortina November 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm Reply

Yay :) Looking forward to your next posts on this, this is such a great event!! It’s always so nice to meet up with food bloggers, eh. I haven’t had my chance yet, but there’s going to be a Sydney foodblogger Xmas get-together soon so I can’t wait to see everyone :) It will be my first time, can’t wait! Glad you had fun, and see you on EDB post number 2!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 8, 2012 at 8:40 am Reply

I love meeting up with other bloggers too Tina :) so it was a lovely experience hehe ~ Ohh wow an Xmas get together? That sounds like heaps of fun!

We have a Melbourne food bloggers picnic coming up that’s going to be exciting too WOO HOO YAY!

14. libishski November 7, 2012 at 1:55 pm Reply

Sounds like you had an amazing time! I had no idea that Central Market was the largest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere but wow, this is a place that I definitely need to visit when I’m in Adelaide (hmmm perhaps I can go there with Marty sometime).

I’m so going to the EDB conference next year. Not going to miss out for the world (well, assuming my application does get accepted hahaha).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 8, 2012 at 8:41 am Reply

I had a truly AMAZING time :) WOO HOO! I just wished you were there too ~ it would have been SO much fun! A shame that you had exams >_< doesn't matter maybe next year? You had to come and given that they accept my application again lol

Same here about Central Market, I had no idea either :) and lol i thought Victoria Market was already pretty big but apparently not! :D

15. Catherine November 7, 2012 at 4:13 pm Reply

It looks amazing! I’ve only ever been to SA for Barossa Valley! I bet you it’s going to be hard work going through the rest of your photos and posting it up! Good luck :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 8, 2012 at 8:43 am Reply

I went to Barossa Valley last time :) but couldn’t and actually Mr Bao didn’t want to this time because we rented a car, and if we went it’ll mean he’ll have to do all the driving and I’ll do all the drinking hahaha and he couldn’t let that happen :P

I really enjoyed SA Think i’m gonna go back again soonish hehe! Oh gosh…the photos and write up is killing me i’ll definitely need all the luck I can get hehe thx!

16. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reply

I loved my visit to the Central Markets with Mark-he’s a great guide! :)

17. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) November 7, 2012 at 10:40 pm Reply

Sounds so exciting and lots of fun, and your review is detailed and interesting as usual, can’t wait for the next part … hmmm … just wondering if there’s any blogger events like this in the UK?! ;p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 8, 2012 at 8:48 am Reply

Hello Jane :) I’m glad you liked my review, I didn’t think it was fair for me to just write a brief review and not explain about the stalls in the market as they were so kind to use and shared their produce and stories :)

I’m sure there should be other events like that in the UK and if not i think you should START your own hehe

18. Ali November 8, 2012 at 7:20 am Reply

That certainly is a VIP tour of the Central Markets….I need to get on one of those!! I love the Markets, but don’t get in there nearly often enough. Sounds like a great day you had there!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 8, 2012 at 7:23 am Reply

Hello Ali ;)

I sure had an amazing day! You are so lucky to live so close to the Central Market and have access to all the fresh produce ~ jealous!

If you are interested, I m pretty sure the market offers tours so check them out and Mark is a fantastic tour guide hehe :D

19. thehungerpangs November 8, 2012 at 3:31 pm Reply

Looks like you had an awesome time, Daisy! I’ll have to stop by the Central Market the next time I’m there :) The Providore stand looks amazing!! And it’s so great they carry homemade baked goods :) x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 10:26 am Reply

You definitely have to stop by Providore next time it’s amazing! I’ll be posting a review just about them later on :) I loved the unique cakes they have and think it’s wonderful that they help homebakers hehe xox have a nice weekend!

20. Jennifer @ Delicieux November 8, 2012 at 5:45 pm Reply

Wow, it feels like I was there seeing all of your fantastic photos! Looks like everyone had such an amazing time. I’m heading to Adelaide in December and will definitely be making time to visit the Central Markets.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 10:34 am Reply

It’s a shame that you weren’t able to come Jennifer it would have been lovely to meet you in person! Ohhh you’re definitely going to have to go to the Central Market when you go in December and Mark from Providore offers market tours too so maybe you can book your tour with him :)

21. daisyandthefox November 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm Reply

what an amazing time!!! Central market looks awesome!!
    found your blog and instagram and am really loving it! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 10:36 am Reply

Hello :) It’s very nice to meet you and thank you for dropping by my blog ~ the central market was amazing are you from Australia? you have to go visit!

• daisyandthefox November 9, 2012 at 11:45 am Reply

no worries! :)
        yes – Australian born and bred – i’m really keen to go there! :) lovely blog!

22. Amanda@ChewTown November 8, 2012 at 10:30 pm Reply

Great post Daisy! Looking forward to Part II x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 10:36 am Reply

Thanks dearie :) Loved meeting you and thanks for taking care of me ~ xox

23. Winston November 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm Reply

Awesome stuff, Daisy!! I really enjoyed the tour and it was so awesome to be on the same tour as you, Melb blogging buddy! Hehe. It was such a great day and I even thought the breakfast we had with Ricky, Charlie and Maureen was great. Lovely way to kickstart the weekend. It’s great that you went into detail introducing all the vendors and their produce. I wish I could’ve done the same to really do them justice and show them gratitude =)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 9, 2012 at 10:45 am Reply

Hey Wince :) definitely great that we were able to catch up during breakfast before EDB hehe the Central Market tour was probably one of my favourites of EDB, I really like getting to know each stall holder and their stories and produce ~ they were so kind and generous to us!

Wished we could go back….lol i’d really like some of that YOGHURT or ham hehe

24. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm Reply

fun! Black garlic looks spectacular!
    Heidi xo

25. My Kitchen Stories November 12, 2012 at 9:59 pm Reply

Loved your tour Daisy . You really did cover it well. I dont think I got to meet you but I am sure I will another time

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 19, 2012 at 8:53 am Reply

Hi Tania :) That’s for dropping by my blog ~ Yes unfortunately there were too many of us, I don’t think we got to meet :( but I now know your blog and will be able to follow you through there ~ the market tour was AMAZING!

26. Christine (@cookingcrusade) November 13, 2012 at 10:02 am Reply

Loved the market tour sooo much! Heheh so cute that Mr Bao came to your cam-rescue. So cute :) I took so many photos but I’m umming and awwing about doing a post cos there have been *so* many and the amount of photos I took is slightly overwhelming. lol.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 19, 2012 at 9:39 am Reply

I was freaking out that I wasn’t going to be able to take any more photos because i didn’t have my other battery with me hehe :) I still haven’t gotten through all the photos sighh it’s taking me forever :P

27. Christina @ The Hungry Australian November 16, 2012 at 8:05 am Reply

Awesome post, Daisy. What a great wrap up of our market tour. I wish we’d had a chance to talk properly at edb3 but I’m sure out paths will cross again :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 16, 2012 at 11:14 am Reply

Thank you Christina :) Yes a shame that we didn’t really get to sit down and have a chat ~ But I am telling you right now hehe I am coming back to ADELAIDE next year! It’s high up on my list and then you will have to take me around ~ xox