Ice-cream Tour – Messina, N2 & Royal Copenhagen + Little Aussie Trip

Hello everyone :) I’m back!!! Did you miss me? I managed to write a couple of posts before I left, so I hope you’ve enjoyed them while I was gone hehe ~ I wanted to blog as soon as I got back, but unfortunately… I got very sick with food poisoning… and that has got to be the worse for foodies like myself… Anyhow, before you get too excited I’m actually leaving again :P Because this weekend, I’m going to the Eat Drink Blog in Adelaide where I will get the chance to meet the other amazing food bloggers around Australia YAY!

Just wanted to share a few photos from our little Aussie trip ~ would you be interested in reading about some of my traveling adventures too? Or would you like me to stick to talking about food? :) our itinerary was Melbourne -> Sydney -> Brisbane then drive to Gold Coast :) We managed 3 cities in 5 days! I’m pretty impressed with our planning hehe. I know it may seem like a mad rush to most people, but we found it to be quite relaxing and I’m not one to spend 3 hours in on place :P

We actually traveled with Mr Bao’s cousin Little Luk but he was by no means the 3rd wheel because he’s the friend who introduced Mr Bao to me and I was friends with him before we went out :)

We were very lucky the weather in all 3 cities was beautiful! Couldn’t ask for better weather, it was sunny but not too hot with a light breeze :) Being a foodie I dragged Mr Bao and Little Luk all over the place just for good food, we went to so many cafes/restaurants and took over 2500 photos! So my loveliest Readers please bare with me as I go through the photos and pick out the best ones so I can blog about it ~

Today, I’ve got a relatively short review of the ice-cream/gelato places I went to during this trip :) starting with the famously delicious Gelato Messina in Sydney ~ I’m sure all Readers from Sydney or have visited will know about Messina ~ They have been open since 2002 and have since been churning out the most delicious Gelato in Sydney or even Austalia :D

Messina has 3 retail stores one in Surry Hills, Darlinghurst and The Star Casino…and unintentionally and intentionally I went to all 3 stores :P but only got gelalo from 2 as the Darlinghurst one wasn’t open when we walked past :( I was so so so upset…because that was the only store that sold the mini gelato cakes especially that little mushroom gelato cake everyone keeps telling me about ~ Oh wells next time!

We walked into the Surry Hills store and I was confronted with so many gelato and sorbet flavours, I seriously did not know what to order! I was so tempted to get the Misto Plate which is 5 scoops of gelato, but Mr Bao stopped me because we had already had so much food before hand and were going to get even more food afterwards…sooooo being good, I only got 2 scoops.

Pistachio and Milk Chocolate with peanut butter $5AUD 2 scoops

Pistachio gelato is like the benchmark for me, if they do this well it usually means their gelato is yummy ~ and Messina did a fantastic job with their pistachio :) It had a genuinely strong pistachio flavour and nothing like that fake flavouring some places use. I particularly liked the texture of the gelato too it was creamy and smooth but not too rich or milky.

Moving on to Mr Bao’s milk chocolate with peanut butter, it had the same delicious texture but this time it was a lovely sweet milk chocolate gelato laced with peanut butter. Now I’m not a PB fan…so this wasn’t my favourite flavour ~ but I know all my PB loving friends and Readers will LOVE THIS!

Dulce De Leche and Hazelnut $5.5AUD 2 scoops

I didn’t know Little Luk loved ice-cream so much, he doesn’t really seem to have a sweet tooth, but he has a soft spot for ice-cream. Just before we went Sydney we visited The Star Casino, and hence went to the Messina there ~ I noticed that ice-cream there was slightly more expensive. I was tossing between the dulce de leche or the ‘Rethink Banoffee Pie’ which was caramel gelato with banana jam.

I eventually chose the dulce de leche and so glad I did ~ it didn’t have that burnt caramel taste, instead it was the sweet milk caramel taste :) while the hazelnut was definitely Little Luk’s favourite, he said I quote “I’m in heaven!” lol he loved the hazelnut flavour and creamy texture of the gelato.

And yes we are crazy because on the same day we had Messina lol we also went to N2 Extreme Gelato in Chinatown. I’ve seen so many bloggers review N2 and I had been intrigued of the idea of making ice-cream with liquid nitrogen and instead of the traditional method of churning.

The only other time I had heard of using liquid nitrogen to make ice-cream was when I was watching Heston Blumenthal’s TV show and reading his book Heston at Home :)

Upon walking in N2, it really did feel like a science lab with everyone wearing lab coats and a large gas cylinder full of liquid nitrogen ~ it was strange to see bottles of ice-cream mixture in large test tubes, and the experienced ‘scientist’ would pour it into the KitchenAids and quickly freeze it with liquid nitrogen. Mr Bao was very excited about trying too being a scientist, he couldn’t stop telling us about the chemical reactions lol *rolls eyes*

The names for the gelato was also quite unique, I don’t think I would want to try the ‘cigar smoked Hainanese chicken rice’ and after much deliberation, we decided we’ll all get a flavoured we liked.

No surprise Mr Bao got Sleazy Strawberry, what a name eh? It was a mixture of freeze dried strawberries with Shiraz and milk gelato. Unfortunately, this sleazy strawberry did not have a strong strawberry flavour, it was actually quite bland and tasted more like tangy strawberry yoghurt instead. We did like the melt in your mouth, creamy texture of the gelato though.

Sleazy Strawberry $6

I got the buttered popcorn because I had heard it’s quite popular, this time it was aged milk gelato infused with buttered popcorn. It has the same creamy texture and rich milk flavour which complimented the tiny bits of buttered popcorn very well ~ Definitely our favourite!

Buttered Popcorn $6

Little Luk is officially my favourite ice-cream partner because he likes all the flavours I like as well :P He chose the milky caramel with Murray River salt gel. We had mixed feelings about this flavour, once again we liked the texture but we didn’t find the flavours pronounce enough, it was a very light flavoured caramel and we couldn’t taste any salt in the caramel either.

Milky Caramel with Murray River Salt Gel $6

As I was taking photos, I noticed that the gelato was melting much quicker than regular gelato. Mr Bao said it’s because the liquid nitrogen doesn’t freeze the gelato like ice-cream machines. Our verdict – great smooth and velvety texture, but we didn’t think the flavours came through as much as we would have liked. There is actually a N2 store in HK too ~ so we’re hoping to try that one and see if the flavours are better :)

Last ice-cream stop – Royal Copenhagen at Surfers Paradise :) It was a warm night and we were able to leave the Gold Coast and drive back to Brisbane. I had been relatively good that night lol and we didn’t really order desserts, so as we were walking back to our car…I spotted Royal Copenhagen and couldn’t help but grab myself some more ice-cream :P

I was particularly impressed when I saw that they really do make their waffles cones fresh on premises :) I wouldn’t mind having one of these machines at home hehe then I’ll have fresh waffle cones whenever I want them :P

I’ve had Royal Copenhagen before and quite like their buttery and strong milky taste of their ice-cream, it reminds me very much of Dairy Bell we have here in Melbourne ~ even better quality hehe.

They don’t have nearly as many flavours as Messina or as unique as N2, but it’s the traditional ice-cream store with honest yummy flavours and most importantly FREE toppings!

Dutch Chocolate Chip and Wildberry $6AUD 2 Junior scoops

I don’t usually choose chocolate flavoured ice-creams, because not many places produce a deep and rich chocolate ice-cream, but I tried the Dutch chocolate chip and immediately knew I wanted it. Mr Bao wanted something a little more refreshing and chose the Wildberry ~ I obviously said ‘yes’ to free toppings so got caramel sauce and crush macadamia nuts! YUM! My favourite! This was very yummeh ~ I just wished we had Royal Copenhagen in Melbourne too…so I wouldn’t have to fly interstate all the time lol

Hope you liked my first post about our Little Aussie Trip :D Until next time, let us all eat more ICE-CREAM!

Gelato Messina Surry Hills on Urbanspoon

N2 Extreme Gelato on Urbanspoon

Royal Copenhagen Ice Cream Co
Cavill Ave
Surfers Paradise Queensland 4217
(07) 5570 1780

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

43 thoughts on “Ice-cream Tour – Messina, N2 & Royal Copenhagen + Little Aussie Trip

1. Catherine November 2, 2012 at 11:14 am Reply

Sooo much ice cream! I’ve had alcoholic icecream/gelato in a bar before made with liquid nitrogen and I think it’s more the novelty factor than anything :P Post up more of your travels, I’m looking forward to your Sydney sweet posts!! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 2, 2012 at 2:29 pm Reply

Alrighty then :) I’ll do half food and half travel too ~ woo hoo! Ohh alcoholic ice-cream? LIke baileys? That’s my favourite and pina colada ~ you’ve got me on a Froya Crave though!

2. theragingcook November 2, 2012 at 11:20 am Reply

lol welcome back!!! Mmm delicious! So can we expect quite a few Sydney and QLD posts now??

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 2, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reply

Thank you David :) I’m back but then going away next week ~ hehe yup yup I’ll be posting about Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Adelaide and everywhere LOL

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 2, 2012 at 11:22 am Reply

hehe what a sweet post! Literally! ;) And I’m in HK at the moment so I’ll look out for N2!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 2, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reply

Thanks Lorraine :) Mr Bao isn’t too happy about his face plastered all over the blog :P oh wells ~ i was trying to help you find N2’s address in HK but couldn’t’t find it sorry!

4. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) November 2, 2012 at 2:08 pm Reply

Take it easy even if you’re better now, and don’t go crazy at the event this weekend ( may need to stay off any ice-cream for the time being ;p )
    Have a good time anyway, look forward to hearing all about it :) !! ~~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 2, 2012 at 2:32 pm Reply

Thank you Jane :) I’m feeling much better and agree that I should still stay away from some ice-cream so I can let myself recover hehe ~ I’m really excited about the food bloggers conference woo hoo!

5. Choc Chip Uru November 2, 2012 at 3:42 pm Reply

I’m with you all the way my friend, this is such a beautiful trip!! I love the gorgeous eats and treats :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 12:30 am Reply

Thanks Uru :) I am so jealous that you have so much good icecream/gelato in Sydney :) eat more and enjoy for me!

6. liannelow November 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm Reply

omgness! Ice cream envy babe! (: You’ve just managed to make me put 2 places down in my to-go list! Messina and N2 for sure! hehe can’t wait to see the rest of the places you went! hehe xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 12:36 am Reply

WOO HOO ;) can’t wait till you go ~ you’ll love Messina so much hehe and N2 is definitely different! I have so much to blog about I just need more time hehe xox

7. Vien November 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm Reply

Gorgeous pictures!!! hehehehe I love my peanut butter ice-cream!!! :D and I really agree with you! It’s really hard to find good pistachio ice-cream and if it’s good, IT’S REALLY GOOD!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 12:39 am Reply

Definitely Vien :) And so far I think Messina has one of the BEST pistachio ice-cream ~ I just wished they would come to Melbourne too hehe

8. Ali November 2, 2012 at 9:08 pm Reply

Wow! You fit a lot into your five days! Hope you’re feeling better now :) N2 looks so cool! I’ve seen Heston’s icecream making on Masterchef but otherwise nowhere else! We actually have a Royal Copenhagen in Adelaide (at Glenelg!)…it’s always been one of my fave icecreams. Hope you have fun in our town, have you been to Adelaide before? Look forward to hearing about your weekend at EatDrinkBlog :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 12:42 am Reply

Hi Ali ;) I try to plan all my holidays all around FOOD hahaha it’s a little crazy, it’s like we’re eating every 2 hours :P quite insane ahahhaa I haven’t heard or seen ice-cream made with liquid nitrogen before Heston, but N2 has done a great job doing it in front of their customers hehe

I just got back from Adelaide SOOOO tired but had SO much fun at EDB :) You should come next year ~ would be lovely to meet you in person! I LOVE Adelaide! Last time I went it was 2 years ago, and I didn’t really do much research, this time I did a lot more research and there’s so much more to eat and do :D Really enjoyed ourselves! Already planning to come back next year! Hopefully we’ll be able to meet then ~ xox

Ps. We drove past the Royal Copenhagen in Glenelg! :)

• Ali November 6, 2012 at 8:50 pm Reply

Glad you had a fun time in Adelaide! Look forward to reading about the EDB….maybe I will have to come next year! There is a lot of variety of food here, we’re quite lucky for a “little” town ;) If you come back, let me know, love to meet you :)

9. libishski November 2, 2012 at 9:31 pm Reply

Oh wow! You’ve been quick with your blogging – so impressed! Looking forward to reading about all your adventures (that is, if I don’t see you in person beforehand!) and in particular, the Gold Coast post.

Marty and I were at Star City on Wednesday (we flew in from Auckland that morning and decided to spend the day in Sydney before flying back to our respective home cities). After spending the day at the fish market, we went to Star City to chill. I was feeling a bit queasy after eating so many oysters and raw fish (and under the hot sun too) that the thought of buying macarons from Zumbo and having a gelati at Massina (which was the plan) made me feel sick. Kinda regret not buying them now! Oh well, next time…

Enjoy your time in Adelaide! So, so jealous that I will be stuck in Melbourne frantically doing assignments. Wahhhhhh!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 1:09 am Reply

Hey Libby :) sorry for the late reply! I haven’t had much access to the computer hehe ~ don’t be impressed! I’m quite behind with my Melbourne blog posts! LOL I’m so bad, I blog as I go but then so many posts just end up in my drafts and it takes me FOREVER to get back to them :( you are the amazing one! You are able to pump the posts out so quickly ~

Oh no that’s not good that you felt sick after the fish market, I had a funny tasting oyster at the markets too but then I had a lot of sprite to get rid of that fishy taste lol a shame that you missed out on Messina this time ~ but all good you get to go to Sydney a lot more than i do hehe ~

I had an amazing time in Adelaide will tell you more about it, when I see you next :)

10. hotlyspiced November 3, 2012 at 12:16 am Reply

I’m so glad your holiday worked out so well. That’s a lot of gelato! What a tour. So many flavours, so many places. I would love to go to the one where it’s made right in front of your eyes. What great theatre. See you tomorrow! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 1:22 am Reply

So happy that you went to EDB as well Charlie ;) WOO HOO got to see you again! I had such an amazing time in both Sydney and Brisbane and now Adelaide! I’m addicted ready for another holiday :P

11. winstonthehungryexcavator November 3, 2012 at 12:35 am Reply

Awesome stuff!!! Sydney is an awesome place. Each time I visit the place, eat my way through the lovely city, come back contented, only to realise like 10 more awesome places just popped up in the areas I visited. Ever changing and vibrant food scene, just like Melbourne. Never run out of places to eat over there! Glad to read about your trip and see that you guys had a BLAST!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 10:27 am Reply

I couldn’t agree with you more Winston :) I went to Sydney a couple of times last year but apart from the Fish Market, I seem to be going to new places everytime I go back to Sydney! I’m not even sure who’s quicker lol Melbourne or Sydney :P

12. Linda | The Urban Mrs November 3, 2012 at 4:07 am Reply

Oh wow – you really scream for ice cream, lol. I didn’t know you’re away. Glad you enjoyed your trip and have fun in Adelaide!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 10:31 am Reply

Hahhaha I loved that phrase scream for ice-cream :P Yeah sorry it was kind of a random trip ~ I just got back from Adelaide had an AMAZING time!

13. Hannah November 3, 2012 at 4:22 am Reply

I just hyperventilated a little bit. Pistachio gelato is my benchmark too, but I’d be hardpressed to resist coconut and pandan, buttered popcorn, peanut butter….

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 10:37 am Reply

I knew you’d like this post :) Because you’re my fellow pistachio ice-cream lover friend hehe ~ How have you been in the States lately? Sorry haven’t had time to follow your adventures!

14. HK Epicurus November 3, 2012 at 4:23 am Reply

So jealous now. I want some good ice creams and gelati too : )

The new Liquid Nitrogen place in HK is not bad and improving, hope they keep it up. Other than that the ice cream scene here is rather appalling, except for Venchi’s dark chocolate one.

As a side note my coffees drank this year in Europe really beats Aust by average, and both beat HK too. No one seems to believe me… hmmm.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 10:47 am Reply

Aiya! Stop saying you’re jealous LOL you’ve already traveled and gone to so many places this year! And you’re in HK I’m the one jealous!

Is the Liquid Nitrogen place the same and also called N2? Cuz i wasn’t able to find the HK site >_< Yeah i agree with you that the ice-cream scene in HK could do some improvement…I do like Hokkaido one? lol

Wow coffees better in Europe where abouts? Paris or Zurich? Can't wait to go!

15. Norma Chang November 3, 2012 at 10:10 am Reply

That was some ice cream marathon.

16. thehungerpangs November 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm Reply

What an incredible ice-cream journey :D I was just in Sydney! And my friend and I did pass by N2 briefly, but were in the process of rushing down to Jamie’s Italian before someone snapped up our table! So bummed that we didn’t :( Looks like you had a fab time! x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm Reply

Oh what a shame you didn’t go to N2 but doesn’t matter :) there’s always next time and even more reason to go back to Sydney!

I haven’t had the chance to visit Jamie’s Italian damnnn did you like it? Definitely on my list next time ~

17. Nami | Just One Cookbook November 4, 2012 at 4:39 pm Reply

Whenever I get on IG, I see you eating so many delicious food and I get jealous! :) I enjoyed your ice cream tour, Daisy! I can just eat ice cream all day if I don’t have kids around… ;)

18. Tina @ bitemeshowme November 5, 2012 at 9:37 am Reply

You were in Sydney for a couple of days and you’ve already been to places I’ve not been to. haha. Glad you enjoyed Sydney’s ice cream babe. Can’t wait to read about everything else you ate in your 5 days. hahaha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm Reply

I had such a blast in Sydney! Seriously already planning my next trip :P It was AMAZING!

So glad we were also able to meet up briefly hehe ~ you’ve gotta go try out N2 lol it’s not the best but flavours are quite unique :D

Hope to see you again soon xox

19. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) November 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm Reply

aw gosh! You went all out. Loved the dessert studio at Messina. I had the mushroom which had like 10 elements to it! Was real crazy with popping candy!

20. leaf (the indolent cook) November 6, 2012 at 2:56 pm Reply

SO MUCH ICE CREAM. Your ability to consume sweet things still don’t cease to amaze. I wanted to go to Messina but didn’t get around to it, must make more effort next time! At least we managed to make it to N2. :)

21. msihua (@msihua) November 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm Reply

N2 is the place I wanted to visit most when I next go up to Sydney!

22. daisyandthefox November 8, 2012 at 8:07 pm Reply

wow – all that ice-cream looks delicious!! Must go to N2!! great post – it’s great with half and and half food – love it! :)

23. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed November 9, 2012 at 2:54 pm Reply

oooh man I LOVE ice-cream and gelato. Loved Messina, had it for the first time in September! N2 looks great too!
    Heidi xo

24. My Lovely Bites November 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm Reply

I just had to comment: I love N2! :D The crazy flavours are something one would never find elsewhere, although sometimes they’re not as tasty as one might expect. And yes, they do melt super quickly, but I love the texture, it’s…different :P So glad you enjoyed Sydney ^.^

25. Christine (@cookingcrusade) November 13, 2012 at 10:02 am Reply

Hahah love this ice-creamy post! Hmm I really want to go try that buttered popcorn flavour at N2. They had v. limited flavours for Halloween but it looks like there were a million when you went!