Taro or Pork Belly Bao? – Wonder Bao

Do you go through eating phases where you love something and constantly eat it and then get sick of it? Or do you consistently like the same kinds of food? I definitely go through phases… I went through a bagel phase a couple of months ago, then it was this banana bread phase and now I think I’m onto a BAO phase :P Last week, I visited Bao Now, then had lau sha bao at Tai Pan with fellow bloggers on the following Sunday and then the next day (Monday) I met up with the awesome Libby (The Very Very Hungry Caterpillar). I was having Monday blues lol you know the feeling you get after the weekend :P but it made time go by much quicker because I had something to look forward to hehe, as soon as it was time for me to go, I literally ran out the door and rushed to Wonderbao. For Melbourne Readers, WonderBao can be a little difficult to find if you’re going for the first time, it’s on A’beckett St located at the back of an apartment complex, Sarah (Sarah Cooks) is so fantastic she even drew a map and posted it on her blog to make it easier for us to get there, you can find it here. The store itself is very small and have very limited seating, I have heard that it gets very busy during lunch times, so be prepared to have to wait. We were quite lucky and got there when it was fairly quick and scored two seats.

Small menu big flavours!

With a small and consise menu it only offers 7 types baos and 3 gua baos to choose from. We decided to get two gua baos and two sweet baos to share :) We actually started off with the sweet baos lol as we had to wait for the gua baos to be made.

Sweet baos $1.7AUD

Nai wong bao! The bao with an Chinese egg custard filling :) It been my favourite since I was a little girl ~ my family doesn’t really like it so I don’t get to order it much >_< thank you Libby for ripping it apart so nicely for me to take a photo of the filling hehe the bao itself was warm, soft and lovely everything a good bao should be. While the filling was nice with the traditional ‘nai wong’ flavours, I didn’t find anything too special about it and would have liked it even more if the filling was a little big warmer

Nai Wong Bao (Egg Custard) Bao $1.7AUD

I’m not sure if Taro baos are traditional as I have actually never had one before, and LOVED IT! The taro filling was so delicious! I really like taro flavoured desserts, but I can be quite picky and I hate that artificial taro flavouring that some places uses, especially the ones they use to flavour bubble milk tea. It’s simply not the same as using real taro puree, you immediately tell that WonderBao used ‘real’ taro to make the filling. Hmmm a bit hard for me to describe the taste of the filling, because unless you’ve had taro before it’s quite a unique taste. Either way it was very yummy so go try and let me know what you think :D I also think it’s a bargain for only $1.7AUD for a sweet bao ~

Taro Bao $1.7AUD

Moving on to the savoury gua baos, if you’re not sure what a gua bao has been described as a Chinese sandwich or Taiwanese burger. It is made with the same dough as the steamed baos, however, it is shaped differently and the filling is not enclosed inside. I say Momofuku’s David Chang has definitely helped popularise this type of bao with his famous Pork Belly Bao that he sells at his Momofuku restaurants. I’m still salivating over the one I had in NY *NOMZ*

Fried Silky Tofu gua bao $3.8 AUD

Starting with the vegetarian fried silky tofu gua bao, the filling included  a piece of fried tofu inside the bao then topped with pickled mustard, coriander, sweet soy sauce and crushed peanuts. I took a bite and immediately thought of Taiwan! Everything about it :) The flavours were so familiar to me ~I really liked the flavours of the pickled mustard and crunch from the crushed peanuts. However, though it needed a little bit more of sweet soy sauce as the fried tofu was quite bland and the bao does not have a lot of flavour.

Braised Pork Belly gua bao $3.8AUD

I’m pretty sure the pork belly gua baos have become the signature bao to get when you come to WonderBao ~ Libby had tried the Roast Pork Belly last time, so we opted for the braised, which had the condiments as the fried silky tofu except with the addition of the pork belly. I love love love the braised pork belly, it was well marinated and braised until it’s soft and tender :) I think WonderBao has got the flavours spot on for this pork belly gua bao ~ poor Mr Bao has been left out from all my bao eating events lol so once again I bought him one take away and he also said it was his favourite. Highly recommend it!

Homemade Soya milk $2.8AUD

It is so traditional to have Soya Milk when you eat baos hehe it was quite warm that day, so we both got a cold homemade soya milk ~ It was lightly sweetened and I thought it was quite refreshing but it was a little bland not sure if it was because there was too much ice and it diluted the drink. Libby did mention that the hot drink had a stronger soya taste ~ I think I’m gonna try the hot one next time :)

Char Siu Bao (BBQ Pork) $2AUD

I got also bought Mr Bao a Char Siu Bao (BBQ Pork) to try, sorry about the bad pic I took it in the carpark before Mr Bao literally shoved the whole thing into his mouth :P

I also managed to snatch it away from him after he took a bite to take this photo, he said it was nice but it wasn’t outstanding because the filling wasn’t very flavoursome. I think he’s just use to the baos that we get when we go have yum cha :)

I’m really having trouble deciding whether I like the taro bao more or the pork belly gua bao more…they were both very delicious…but being a sweet toothed person lol I think the taro bao still wins, just because I’ve never had one before and I’m addicted to the filling! I definitely enjoyed WonderBao, unlike Bao Now they take a much more traditional approach with their baos, I think its always nice to have freshly steamed baos with familiar fillings that we have grown up eating :)

Wonderbao on Urbanspoon

PS. I’ve gone on a sweet trip with Mr Bao to Sydney and Brisbane for a couple of day :) So please accept my apology for being slow at replying comments, emails, tweets and all ~

Tagged: , , , , , ,

35 thoughts on “Taro or Pork Belly Bao? – Wonder Bao

1. liannelow October 23, 2012 at 8:38 pm Reply

YUM! i love the gua baos! hehe Wanna try the taro bao next time! Love love love taro! hehe (: And I so know what u mean about phases! hehe I went through heaps! hehe Have fun in Sydney and Brisbane!! x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 10:45 pm Reply

Sorry for the late reply :) Hahaha I’m always going through all these weird phases :P I think i’m gonna go on a mango phase soon hehe ~

The gua baos at Wonderbao are so nice! I think I’m gonna have to go back soon ~ You will love the taro bao because I know you’re a fan hehe

2. Choc Chip Uru October 23, 2012 at 8:50 pm Reply

Another bao shop my friend, honestly you are too much – and I LOVE It :D
    Such delicious ideas here!

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 10:47 pm Reply

Hahahaha I couldn’t help it :P I went to 3 bao stores in a week :D

3. theragingcook October 23, 2012 at 9:13 pm Reply

Pork Belly and Cha Siu Bao for the win!!!! Hrmm Yum Cha, haven’t had that in yonks!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm Reply

you’ve gotta go to yum cha soon ~ I love all the food at yum cha hehe the dumplings and not only just the baos hehe

4. kellysiew October 23, 2012 at 9:48 pm Reply

What a coincidence I just had braised pork belly bun last night as well. Though the one I had was a bit off in the bread/filling ratio. But the pork was tasty (Bak Kut Teh flavour too). Yum yum!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 10:51 pm Reply

Ohhh niceeee you’ve had pork belly bun too :) they’re everywhere lately ~ and even though pork belly is so fatty it’s so so so delicious!

5. Ali October 23, 2012 at 10:41 pm Reply

Haha! I can’t believe you just had more bao! I tend to go through phases too….when you find a good thing, you just don’t want to let it go! But, after about a month of eating the same thing every week…I inevitably go off it for months on end!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm Reply

Hhahaha i’m always going on so many phases and eventually like you get sick of it but after a couple of weeks and maybe months I’ll crave for it again :P are there any foods you never get sick of?

6. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake October 24, 2012 at 12:25 am Reply

So many Wonderbao reviews, since I just did one as well. ;) It was nice bao! You had so many though, we couldn’t fit that many in. :P Definitely the pork belly was the best!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm Reply

Hahaha i think everyone’s been flocking to Wonderbao that’s why there’s so many reviews :) I was lucky and went to Libby who was happy to share so many baos with me ~

7. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals October 24, 2012 at 12:36 am Reply

I am glad you are on a Bao kick right now, my stomach is growling and mouth is watering! Love me some taro and milk custard, though can’t remember the last time I had them. I think the Bao restaurant is a very interesting idea, maybe Houston will get one soon!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:01 pm Reply

I think you could think about starting your own Bao restaurant in Houston Jeno :) I’ve seen some of the buns you’ve made on your blog and they look just as delicious!

I’m always going on so many food phases lol it’s hard to keep up :P one day i’ll be crazy about bagels and then the next day it’ll be brownies and cupcakes hahhaa

8. Linda | The Urban Mrs October 24, 2012 at 5:03 am Reply

I love bao and just like you, egg custard bao is to die for. I ‘ve never had fresh taro bao, all they have is frozen in the supermarket but hubs and I love it, too. That pork belly bao is too die for, hahhaha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:02 pm Reply

I wish you could try this fresh taro bao because I know for a fact that you will love it as much as I do :) the egg custard is a must order for me whenever we go to yum cha hehe

9. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) October 24, 2012 at 6:41 am Reply

Oh how good do they all look!!! Yummy soft fluffy outer and delicious fillings inside!! I am so jealous of your food choices! Have a really great holiday and if you are coming past my part of the coast ,Ke sure you stop in!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:03 pm Reply

Thanks Julie :) sorry didn’t stop by Coffs Harbour this time ~ But when I do I’ll definitely let you know!

10. Vien October 24, 2012 at 7:32 am Reply

HAHAHA I was reading this post and I had a sense of deja-vu! Was reaaaaaally confused for a moment because I thought you posted about Wonderbao before! THEN I remembered that I saw it on Facebook & not here :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:25 pm Reply

Hahahaha I have those moments all the time too :P I see something on Facebook and then think it was on a blog and vice versa :P hope you try Wonder Bao soon it’s so close to you!

11. Christine (@cookingcrusade) October 24, 2012 at 10:26 am Reply

i ALWAYS go through eating phases… at the moment i’m going through a smoothie phase haha. but i’ve been through fried rice phases, easy way phases, avocado, mushroom and also now red capsicum phases.. but i accidentally end up eating too much of them and getting sick of them so sad :( These buns all look super delicious and hope you’re enjoying Sydney atm! xox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:19 pm Reply

I had an AMAZING time in Sydney :) it’s simply the best and I am so jealous that you get to eat all those delicious goods whenever you want to ~ WOO HOO!

LOL i think a smoothie phase is good :) it’s healthy and yummy too ~ hahaha red capiscum phase? damn i’ve never liked them :P

But i agree it’s sad when you get so sick of eating them that you don’t want to eat it for a while >_<

12. Norma Chang October 24, 2012 at 11:11 am Reply

I would vote for the taro bao and the pork belly bao. Haven’t had one for quite a while.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm Reply

Hope you get some taro or pork belly baos soon :) they’re so delicious!

13. hotlyspiced October 24, 2012 at 11:32 am Reply

I’m sure I would love the pork belly bao the most but, they all look good. Poor Mr Bao for having to miss out but I’m glad he got some takeaway! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:17 pm Reply

I feel sorry for that poor fella so had to get him some takeaway too ;)

14. Catherine October 24, 2012 at 2:14 pm Reply

Yum haha I just finished my bao phase -___- but everytime I see a pic, I want to go back! Hope you’re having fun on your forced annual leave lol!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:16 pm Reply

Hahaha i know what you mean :P whenver i finish a phase I don’t want to eat that anymore…but then hahaha when I see photos I want to rush back and start the phase all over again :P

I had an AMAZING time during my forced annual leave WOO HOO!

15. Ming @ sweetandsourfork October 25, 2012 at 3:01 pm Reply

I hope the bao phase in melbourne doesn’t go away! have you tried bao now on hardware street?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 28, 2012 at 11:13 pm Reply

Same here ~ really hope the baos will keep coming hehe :) Yup yup i went to Bao Now first ~ and find them to be quite different from Wonderbao! I like them both hehe you?

16. Amanda October 31, 2012 at 7:23 am Reply

Looks delicious!

17. libishski November 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reply

Yay for Monday eating sessions – they definitely take the edge out of Mondayitis!

I wouldn’t mind some taro baos right now… those pics have got me drooling…

18. […] trip to Melbourne had to include the much talked about Wonderbao. I first heard about it from these lovely ladies late last year who are local Melbourne bloggers and it’s been on my to-go list ever […]

19. milkteaxx May 14, 2013 at 4:58 pm Reply

yum! i go thru phases as well but there are the staples that i will never get sick of, desserts ;)