Keanu Reeves – The Lake House, Daylesford

Have you watched the movie ‘The Lake House’, with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock? It’s a love story of two people who met through replying emails they found in the mailbox of a lake house. They fall in love with each other through exchanging letters, but there is actually a two year time difference between them and Keanu Reeves dies before he is able to meet Sandra Bullock  >_< don’t worry it’s a happy ending because Sandra Bullock was able to save Keanu Reeves in the end and they walk happily towards the lake house :D

Source: Wikipedia

This isn’t a movie review hehe but when Mr Bao asked where I would like to go for our annual anniversary meal (sorry I’m very slow with my reviews), I immediately chirped ‘The Lake House’! He looked at me funny and said “what house?”. Then I went on this rant about the amazing restaurant in Daylesford, that was recently features in Masterchef Australia :P Mr Bao wasn’t fussed, his only request was, “I have to be satisfied and feel full, I don’t like going to fancy places where I leave still feeling hungry” hahaha I had to laugh at that ~ Yup Mr Bao sure eats a lot!

Just a quick overview, The Lake House is a well-established 2 Chef hat restaurant in Daylesford, a town about 1.5 hours away from Melbourne. It is known to be ‘the’ place to relax and rejuvenate, with many spa and massage resorts. I first heard of The Lakehouse, when the contestants from Masterchef, visited and I was immediately mesmerized by the beautiful scenery :)

We did have some issues with booking a table, Mr Bao was supposed to book two weeks in advance… but he forgot and finally when he tried to book a table, they could only put us in at 2:30pm…We were tempted to change the date and just go another time, but then decided we might as well go to Daylesford early and just walk around the town. So on a relatively sunny Sunday ~ Mr Bao and I left Melbourne at around 11:30am and we expected to arrive at around 1pm. Luckily on our way to Daylesford, The Lake House called and said there were some cancellations and we could change our booking to 1:30pm. That just worked out perfectly for us!

After a pleasant drive, we finally go to The Lake House and it’s actually quite easy to find as there are signs specifically for it ~ we parked our car and walked right into the restaurant. I really like ambiance of The Lake House, with lots of sun light and fresh air :) We were immediately led to our table at the back with a wonderful view of the lake outside ~ It’s just so romantic hehe I can understand why people would want to get married here.

The staff were attentive and nice but lacked a little friendliness, they took our coats and gave us the menu. We had already had a peek at the menu online and knew we wanted to grab the 3 courses meal and keep things simple which was $96AUD per person. They also had the tasting menu with 9 courses, but it just seemed too much for us :) We didn’t order any wine either because we had to drive ~ damn next time we’ll stay over night and just cab here.

Olives and Grissini sticks

Once we sat down comfortable with the menu in our hands, the waiter immediately brought over a little plate of olives and grissini sticks ~ neither of us are olive eaters, but Mr Bao gave it a shot anyway and simply said ‘hmmm very olivey’ not sure what that means :P the grissini sticks were lovely though slightly salted and oh so crunchy!

Bowl of bread

While we were fussing over what to order for our entree and mains, a lovely basked filled with freshly baked bread was brought to our table. It was stated in their menu that the bread is freshly baked twice a day on premises, and you could as soon as you held a piece in your hand :) I’m not really much of a bread eater but can never resist freshly baked bread with French butter and sea salt ~ Yum! Mr Bao really liked the baguette and even asked for seconds hahha I was tempted but wanted to save space for the other delicious dishes yet to come.

Slow 63 degree egg, soft polenta, mushrooms, curd, smoked mushroom consomme, porcini pangrattata

We had 6 options to choose from the Entree menu, but the 63 degree egg immediately caught my eye so I got that ~ There were two elements of this dish, egg, polenta, mushroom and curd was served on a large plate while the smoked mushroom consomme and porcini pangrattata was served on the side in a little glass.

I thought this was a very delicate dish especially with the slow cooked egg and soft polenta. I really enjoyed the flavours and textures of the dish and could definitely eat many spoonfuls of the mushrooms and curd, but Mr Bao didn’t really like the texture commenting it was just too ‘mushy’ for his liking. While we found the smoked mushroom consomme to be slightly salty but overall, I really liked my entree ~

I knew Mr Bao was going to choose this as his entree as soon as I saw it on the menu :) Japanese or Japanese-inspired food is his favourite and he actually wanted to go to a Japanese restaurant for our anniversary but lol I coerced him to come here instead. He really liked the combination of flavours with his entree especially the mackerel saying it was cooked ‘impeccably’ which is hard to get and very often mackerel we’ve had have been overcooked. I had a taste too and thought the wasabi and edamame went very well together and liked how the wasabi wasn’t over powdering the other less dominant flavours :)

Terriyaki glazed mackerel, wasabi, edamame

There were another 6 main courses to choose from, but I immediately ruled out three lol simply because I don’t eat Rabbit, Kangaroo nor did I want a vegetarian dish hehe so I only had the choice of beef, seafood and duck :) Mr Bao and I discussed it and decided seafood’s probably not the best option since we both have eczema, so I got the beef ribs and he chose the Roast Duck ~

Pastured beef – 12 hour rib smoked tongue, sweetbreads, roast winter vegetables, yorkshire pudding

I love fine dining not just because of the food itself, but also because of how nicely everything is plated…it really is a piece of art ~ when the waiter placed my main course in front of me, I couldn’t help but notice how small and cute the yorkshire puddings were hehe ~

The beef rib was so soft and tender basically melt in your mouth, the roast winter vegetables were lovely with a slightly tangy sauce. Mr Bao didn’t seem to like the little shallot ~ but I was impressed with the yorkshire puddings they were still slightly warm, soft but not doughy :D

Roast Duck – pomegranate, dukkah crusted ‘bisteya’, carrot, citrus pickled eggplant, grains

I’m actually quite surprised that Mr Bao ordered the duck, because his parents are always telling him ‘no duck, its poisonous for your skin’ but I guess it was our anniversary and he just wanted to ignore it all hehe ~ but then I already warned him that he may not like this dish cuz he doesn’t like the other elements – pomegranante, carrot or eggplants…but still he ordered it against my recommendation :P Once again plated beautifully, and even though the duck was cooked to perfection, still slightly pink Mr Bao took a bite and didn’t like the sour taste of the pomegranate nor the carrots. I on the other hand really enjoyed his dish and thought it was lovely and the sourness really just gave it a tang ~ so we ended up basically eating each others dish instead :)

Roast Pumpkin – so delicious!

I am obsessed about pumpkin! I can eat it everyday, any time for breakfast, lunch or dinner :P So when the waiter asked if we wanted to add any sides, I immediately ordered the pumpkin, even though Mr Bao wanted the mash potato ~ wakkaka too bad! I know you are going to  think I am exaggerating…because how delicious can roast pumpkin with butter be… but trust me! These roast pumpkin were so so so DELICIOUS! Mr Bao had to fight with me to get a few pieces lol I basically ate the whole thing myself ~ talk about simple pleasures hehe!

Kookaburra!

We took our time polishing off the main dishes, then we saw one of the waiters walk out to the balcony and feed one of the kookaburras that had flown and stopped on the bench, Mr Bao thought it was really cute and decided to go outside and take a photo with it :) Pretty close up shot hehe ~ Mr Bao and I did have a mini argument though hahaha he kept arguing it was an Owl when CLEARLY it’s a KOOKABURRA!

‘Violet Crumble’ – textures of chocolate, winter violets, honeycomb

INSERT PIC – ‘Violet Crumble’ – textures of chocolate, winter violets, honeycomb

Now to Desserts :)  I thought I would have trouble choosing from the dessert menu, but it was easier than I expected hehe ~ I was only really tossing between the ‘Violet Crumble’ or The Winter shared dessert for two. I was very tempted to get the shared dessert for two as the lovely female waiter said that it had small samples of desserts that were not on the menu. But I figured only having little bites of desserts wasn’t going to satisfy my ginormous sweet tooth :P Furthermore, she wasn’t able to tell us more about the desserts that we were going to get… so I decided to go with the ‘Violet Crumble’. It reminded me so much of the Violet Crumble I had at Adriano Zumbo’s dessert train in Sydney, they even looked a little similar hehe ~  The dessert had a few components, first was the chocolate parfait, then a piece of chocolate cake and topped with ice-cream,  little bits of honeycomb and edible flowers :) I really liked this dessert especially the different textures of chocolate. But would have liked a little more ‘honeycomb’ as this was supposed to be a ‘Violet Crumble’ interpretation ~ And the edible flowers hehe so pretty! Does anyone know where I can get them?

Red wine pear, gingerbread pain perdu, creme cassonade

Mr Bao wanted to order the selection of ice-cream and sorbets, which I’m sure was going to be delicious but that wouldn’t be very adventurous would it? :P So I kept going on about the red wine pears and saying ‘You know you like pears, you are always complaining that I don’t know how to poach them, it’ll be delicious’. Sure enough Mr Bao was convinced and got the red wine pear :) I had a lot of trouble taking a good photo of this ~ because the ice-cream was melting so quickly! The red wine pear were so tender ~ not too soft but just right :) While the other elements the creme cassonade and the gingerbread pain perdu when eaten together really resemblances Christmas pudding .

Tea to help with digestion ~

Even though we didn’t have wine we did order tea to finish off this wonderful long but delicious meal :) Not sure what tea served us but it was exactly what we needed to kick start our digestion process so we can eat even more later on in the day.

Both Mr Bao and I had such an amazing time at The Lake House, we enjoyed all the dishes, the flavours and combinations along with the portrait-like surrounding. So glad we chose this place for our anniversary dinner and would recommend anyone who is going to Daylesford to definitely visit The Lake House. I think I’m gonna try the Tasting Menu next time I come and maybe try and ask if I can order more desserts :P

Lake House on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , ,

51 thoughts on “Keanu Reeves – The Lake House, Daylesford

1. delicieux October 10, 2012 at 11:28 am Reply

What a fabulous review Daisy!!! I ADORE the Lake House, but haven’t been in such a long time as I now live in Brisbane. Maybe I should look at my husband and I celebrating our first anniversary there.

That violet crumble dessert looks absolutely amazing!!! Almost too pretty to eat.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm Reply

Thank you Jennifer :) I’m glad you liked this review hehe ~ it took me a long long time to edit the photos and write and describe everything :D I think coming back for your first year anniversary would be a great idea!

The violet crumble was so delicious and I loved the little flowers hehe

2. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 10, 2012 at 11:31 am Reply

oooh I want to go here! The slow egg with pangrattato & polenta looks crazy good. As does the pumpkin. mmm roast pumpkin.
    Heidi xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 3:54 pm Reply

You’ve gotta come here Heidi :) maybe come here for your one year anniversary hehe ~ the slow egg was so so so delicious and don’t get my started on the pumpkin hahhaa it’ll be a never ending story hehe

3. Christine @ Cooking Crusade October 10, 2012 at 11:35 am Reply

Aww happy belated anniversary to you and Mr Bao :) You too are so cute! The lake house is a cute movie as well – but mainly I just love Keanu…I was totally in love with him as a teenager hahaha. All the food here looks great – you picked a good spot! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 3:58 pm Reply

Thank you Christine :) our anniversary was ages ago i’m just super slow at writing and posting oops! I love Keanu too ~ he’ s just so pretty to look at hahaha i liked the movie but found it a little slow at times ~

4. Julie October 10, 2012 at 11:37 am Reply

I love the original korean version of lake house ^^. Have you seen it? Definitely on my list to visit one day. I’m glad you choose the violet crumble looks the best on the list :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 3:59 pm Reply

Me too :) i’ve seen it and loved the girl in it hehe even though i found the male lead not that attractive :P you’ve gotta visit with Zac it’s such a wonderful place and so romantic :D

5. JulieK October 10, 2012 at 11:38 am Reply

You can get the edible flowers from South Melbourne market at the fruit & veg stall on Coventry Street (by memory – Fruits on Coventry).

The shared dessert platter at Lake House is my fav! My sister lived in Daylesford for 6 years, and we would often head to the Lake House just for dessert (but that was way before the MasterChef ep, so we used to just walk in) – the ‘small’ bites are actually quite generous – enough for 3 fairly large bites each! There is always next time!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 4:01 pm Reply

Hi Julie K :) thanks for dropping by my blog and telling me where I can get edible flowers ~ Now i’d rush out and get them but not sure what i’d do with them hmmmm maybe to decorate a cake? that sounds like a good idea hehe

Ohhh damn now i wish I got the shared dessert platter! Maybe next time! Has the show (Masterchef) really given The Lake House a bit of a hype? Can’t wait to go back!

6. theragingcook October 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm Reply

Hahaha the korean version of Lake house is better lol! Mmmm redwine pears eh?,, Now that’s an idea!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm Reply

I totally agree with you :) I don’t really like the Hollywood version of The Lake House but I sure like this restaurant hehe i’m sure you can make red wine pears ~ Please share recipe!

7. hotlyspiced October 10, 2012 at 1:11 pm Reply

What a pretty and serene place to go for your anniversary. It truly is a beautiful place. I too would have ordered the beef rib – love meat that melts in your mouth and falls off the bone with ease. And that violet crumble dessert! Stunning. The food is plated like art. Just love it xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm Reply

I’m so glad we chose this place for our anniversary :) It was so pretty and the food was amazing! Me too I have a thing for soft, tender meat hehe I just wished I could make more of that meat at home :)

I think the violet crumble was a little too pretty to eat hehe ~

8. Catherine October 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm Reply

I also had the 3 course meal here and ate at 2:30pm after an early lunch hehe so full! I thought the Lake House was nice but enjoyed Royal Mail Hotel & Loam much better. Although I think I need to try the tasting menu before I call judgement! Happy belated anni!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 4:10 pm Reply

Thank you :) Our anniversary was ages ago hehe Hahaha now maybe I should’ve had a late lunch there instead :P so then I could have had brunch somewhere else in Daylesford ~ I haven’t had the chance to go to Loam or Royal Mail Hotel but would love to try ~

9. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 10, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reply

Happy belated anniversary to you and Mr Bao! I did see this movie, and my husband told me it’s originally Korean version. I want to check the Korean version too. The restaurant looks wonderful. And the beef rib… oh that looks yum!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm Reply

Thank you Nami :) I’m sure you’ve said it to me before hehe ~ i’m so slow at my reviews it’s bad :P ohhh you’ve gotta watch the Korean version! It’s so much better hehe ~

10. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals October 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm Reply

Happy Anniversary Daisy! What a great place to celebrate this wonderful occasion!

I remember loving the movie, though I could not remember the ending, so thank you for the refresh. It’s great you and Mr Bao seem to celebrate life a lot, my husband and I don’t make a big fuss about our birthdays and anniversaries anymore, maybe it’s because we are getting quite old, haha!

The roasted pumpkin looks DIVINE!!!!!! And I am not even that big of a pumpkin fan…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm Reply

Thank you Jeno :) I’m sure you’ve given us your blessing before! LOL Our anniversary was in August but my review posts can take me so long, oops!

I liked the movie but then I think the Korean version is better :) Have you watched that? If you haven’t I highly recommend it hehe ~
      Nah don’t say that! You are not old at all! You’re just busy because you’re a working mum and a blogger and wife! I don’t think I could do all that~ Mr Bao doesn’t really fuss over it much lol it’s just me, I think I like the attention :P

11. Choc Chip Uru October 10, 2012 at 4:15 pm Reply

I absolutely love the Lake House (oh and the movie too ;)
    The food looks divine and their is so much variety!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reply

Definitely a great place Uru :) Persuade your parents to take you next time you come to Melbourne hehe ~

Have you watched the Korean version? I highly recommend it! I think it’s better than the Hollywood one hahaha

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 10, 2012 at 6:04 pm Reply

I adore the Lake House-the food is wonderful and it is so serene there. Alla and Larissa do an amazing job. And well done Mr Bao on capturing such a close up shot! :O BTW you mention not eating seafood because of eczema-I get it but didn’t realise that seafood was a trigger :O

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm Reply

Alla and Larissa definitely do a wonderful job at serving amazing food :) I really like that shot of the Kookaburra too hehe ~ except he thought it was an owl!

Oh no i didn’t know you had eczema too :( We have it really bad and our Chinese doctor said no seafood because there’s a lot of ‘toxins’ in it >_<

13. Gem October 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm Reply

I went here recently with a group of friends to celebrate our birthdays – such a delicious meal and amazing service. If you do go for a weekend, I recommend the Lake Orchard Villas. We stayed there and it was extremely reasonable, plus they have a gate on the back of the property that leads straight through to the Lake House carpark – no taxi required!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm Reply

Hello Gem :) Thank you for dropping by my blog! Sorry for the late reply! Ohhh I didn’t know that the Lake Orchard Villas was right next to it! Definitely gonna make note and go next time :) Walking distance sounds very good!!!

14. Shanshan Lam (@food_religion) October 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm Reply

lol at the kookaburra! Really pretty photos Daisy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm Reply

Thank you Shan Shan :) Its just a fluke there was amazing lighting there ~

15. threehanns78 October 10, 2012 at 11:38 pm Reply

Great review. This is only the second review i’ve read out of so many done of The Lakehouse, only because i much prefere to head south for a getaway and “R n R, but this place sounds alright and good place for a anniversary or a wedding.
    I want to visit Royal Mail to as a friend worked there and said it was amazing working and dining.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:09 pm Reply

Hi David :) I’m glad you’ve liked this review ~ I really recommend you trying the Lake House or simply going to Daylesford! its such a pretty place hehe!

I have heard so much about the Royal Mail too would like to go next time! Let me know if you go and what you think of it!

16. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. October 10, 2012 at 11:46 pm Reply

I have not been to the Lake House but have heard so much about it! Loved your post, and IT’S CLEARLY a KOOKABURRA!!! :) I have not see the movie, actually, apart from the Matrix the last Keanu Reeve movie I saw was Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, hahahahaha!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:13 pm Reply

You would expect a Science graduate to be able to distinguish between a kookaburra and an owl! :P HAHHAA I’m glad you liked this post ~ LOL I never watched the Matrix hehe ~ but i love Keanu Reeves!

17. myfoodgasmjournalblog October 11, 2012 at 3:49 am Reply

Happy anniversary, dear! Your review is always fun to read. I hope My Bao left the Lake House with a full stomach, hahhaa. If only we’re neighbors – we should hang out because Frderick has the same principle as Mr Bao. Quantity over quality, hahaha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm Reply

Thank you dearie :) our anniversary was ages ago! I’m glad you like my review hehe i just talk way too much! He sure left with a full stomach thank gosh! Definitely would love to be neighbours with you! Sighhh why are you so far away :(

18. Vien October 11, 2012 at 8:28 am Reply

What a beautiful place to celebrate your anniversary!!! :D I haven’t watched The Lake House!! and to be honest, I really don’t like romantic lovey-dovey movies!!! :P omegosh!!! I have roasted pumpkin as a side almost everyday for dinner!!!!!!! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reply

HAHHAHA You’re so funny! I love all those romantic and cheesy movies hehe I’m really girly I guess :P But even though you’re not a romantic trust me you’ll still LOVE The Lake House hehe ~

Do you have a roasted pumpkin recipe? LOL mine never work out :P

19. Zoe October 11, 2012 at 8:54 am Reply

LOL that you have a found a lakehouse at Victoria. Although there is no Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock in this place, it looks like a great place to dine and visit :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:17 pm Reply

Hahhaa yup yup I found one in Victoria hehe ~ it’s a lovely place and even without Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock its very romantic!

20. gourmetgetaway October 11, 2012 at 12:53 pm Reply

Omg god daisy, this is too gorgeous and delicious! I have been wanton to visit since I saw a review on Lorraine’s site on the Daylesford area!!! Now I will just have to visit, it looks do perfect. I like your move review to… Although I don’t like sad movies :( not sure if I should watch it… Hmm, young Keanu is very cute ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:19 pm Reply

You definitely need to plan a trip to Daylesford :) You’ll love it! Trust me! I’m glad you liked my little movie review hehe ~ I’ve always liked Keanu Reeves but thought he looked a little weird with Sandra Bullock :P

21. thehungerpangs October 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm Reply

Ohhh, I went up to Daylesford a few months ago and loved it there, but I missed out on The Lake House :( All the dishes are so beautifully presented. And that’s definitely a kookaburra, hahaha! Happy belated anniversary to you and Mr Bao! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:21 pm Reply

Thank you :) Even though our anniversary was a couple of months ago hehe still so sweet for people to say Happy Anni to us :D A shame that you missed out last time you went to Daylesford doesn’t matter there’s always next time :)

22. Hannah October 12, 2012 at 1:43 pm Reply

Ugh, way to spoil my appetite with that movie. ;) Teehee, joking joking. Keanu is always The Matrix for me!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reply

HAHHAA it’s all good :P I don’t mind i know its a bit weird Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock ~

23. Kiran October 12, 2012 at 4:00 pm Reply

I’ve watched the lake house, but often wonder why do this people opt to make confusing movies ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:23 pm Reply

HAHAHA i agree the movie was a little confusing towards the end :P

24. libishski October 13, 2012 at 9:12 pm Reply

Oh, I love Lake House!

You’ve chosen some great dishes there and I would definitely return again just to try the beautiful Violet Crumble dessert – such a work of art! When we went to Daylesford, we only went for the day but I think an overnight trip would be great as it would be cool to have stay at a lodge by the lake :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:26 pm Reply

Thanks dearie :) I’m glad I got the good dishes hehe some of them really sounded weird :P so we kinda stuck with the safer dishes hehe!

The violet crumble was probably one of the prettiest dishes i’ve seen for a long long time :D

Yeah we only did a one day trip too sighhh kinda regret it because I think it’ll be worth staying over night and just enjoy without having to drive back before it get dark :(

25. msihua (@msihua) October 14, 2012 at 9:20 am Reply

Happy Belated Anniversary! Hahahah I love the Lake House movie and the restaurant! Hahahaha good to see that they are still serving amazing looking but country quality food!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm Reply

Thank you I-hua :) We really enjoyed our selves yay! We were glad that the food was as good as others described it hehe :)

26. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake October 14, 2012 at 3:31 pm Reply

Happy anniversary!! The Lake House! I’m so jealous…I was going to book dinner there as well when we were in Daylesford for our anniversary, but we didn’t end up doing it. Making me regret it so much. :(

And how did Mr Bao think that was an owl? LOL It’s the cutest kookaburra, it’s amazing how you took the photo so up close though!