Famous Laksa – Laksa King

Hello everyone ;) I’m sorry if you have noticed the irregular posting of new posts ~ I have been so busy lately that I’m starting to lose control of everything >_< I even tripled dated myself the other day…I definitely like being busy…but sometimes I think I just overcommit myself to everything.

Anyhow, I’ve noticed my blog posts are getting longer and longer lol I hope my lovely Readers don’t mind all my mindless mumbling and rants :P Because I am so time poor and kinda exhausted I have a short and sweet post that has been in my draft folder for quite some time now, and that is Laksa King in Flemington for their famous laksa!

Menu on the wall :)

Laksa King is very famous in Melbourne and is constantly ranted number 1 under the ‘Cheap eat’ section in Urbanspoon. They have even expanded from a tiny small store to a nice new refurbished restaurant. There are many reasons why I describe Laksa King’s laksa as ‘famous’ and most definitely not authentic ~ and that is because I have received mixed reviews of Laksa King. I find most of my friends from Hong Kong LOVE Laksa King and rave on about the broth/soup. While some of my Malaysian/Singaporean friends do not agree and say the laksa here has too much coconut milk and is not really authentic. Either way, Laksa King is still one of my favourite places for laksa!

Just in case you didn’t know what laksa was ~ they have it in the menu hehe wow they’re not humble at all hahaha calling themselves ‘King of Laska’! I’m a fan of curry laksa and not so much of asam laksa as I find the soup/broth too sour ~

Laksa King entree $14.5AUD

Mr Bao and I came here on a work night, so as usual we were famished after work hehe ~ so we quickly ordered a Laksa King entree which had little samples of a few things. A tiny garden salad, two mini spring rolls, lobak and dumplings. We really liked the spring rolls and lobak (kinda like spring rolls but filling is different and made with bean curd skin instead, my Malaysian/Singaporean please correct me if I am wrong :) ) as they were piping hot and were so crispy. We weren’t fond of the dumplings though, they had really thick and doughy wrappers which became a little soggy when eating them.

Chicken Curry Laksa $9.8AUD

I obviously had to order my favourite ‘Curry laksa’ :) I opted for the chicken as I don’t really like the weird meats they sometimes through into the combination curry laksa hehe ~ The broth has not changed even though it had probably been 3 good years since I’ve come to Laksa King. The soup was still rich, aromatic and delicious! I love how spicy the soup is but is then combined with a good amount of coconut milk :D

It also had a combination of egg noodles and rice noodles (Vermicelli), I haven’t figured why curry laksa have a mixture of both noodles ~ but I like the different textures it provides. It also has pieces of chicken breast, eggplant, fried tofu and fish cakes. Very reasonably priced too for only $9.8 ~

Assam Laksa $11.5AUD

Mr Bao ordered the Assam Laksa instead ~ it uses a different soup altogether from the Curry Laksa where the soup is a lot sourer and and does not have any coconut milk. If you haven’t had this before, I think the closest thing I can use to describe this would be the sweet and sour soups you can get in Chinese restaurants. Mr Bao enjoyed it so much, he was tempted to get another bowl… but I stopped him because I had dessert planned out at another place which was Little Delights which has now closed down :(

Three Colour Drink $4.9AUD

I think the curry laksa soup is quite addictive so I drank a lot of it, which can be quite spicy :) So we washed it all down with a Three Colour Drink each! It had a good combination of chendol, red bean and coconut milk and not a lot of crushed iced, which is good because I don’t like places that load the glass full of ice >_< Perfect to end this yummy dinner ~

Good Value Banquet $26.8AUD

I’m definitely coming back and next time I wanna try the Good Value Banquet, for $26.8 you get a taste of everything and even Mango Pudding for dessert :P Or try to come between 5pm and 6:30pm because the 10% discount is kinda attactive too! But even without the discount I think Laksa King is definitely a great place for cheap and delicious dinners ~ I’m going to let you be the judge whether you like Laksa King or not but :) but they sure are famous and their popularity hasn’t died down yet :D

Laksa King on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , ,

45 thoughts on “Famous Laksa – Laksa King

1. kellysiew October 8, 2012 at 12:38 am Reply

You need to try authentic laksa here. I find Laksa King’s version a little bastardised. And there are so many regional variations here! Personally of course I’m loyal fan of Sarawak Laksa which is Sambal based with a bit of tartness from calamansi limes and less coconut milk compared to the curry laksa.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 8, 2012 at 9:03 am Reply

hahaha I know true Malaysians like yourself was going to tell me that Laksa King isn’t authentic :P But it’s probably because I haven’t tried true authentic laksa i quite like it ~ But i wouldn’t mind trying that Sarawak Laksa because I love sambal hehe :)

• HK Epicurus October 8, 2012 at 2:54 pm Reply

I agree with Kellysiew – I haven’t posted my review about here but I did revisit here last year :) The broth, even counting in the various styles between Malaysian/Singaporean versions, was a little too thin and coconutty based and not sophisticated enough as yet ; ) There is also no presence of Laksa Leaves – I actually brought my own to eat there lol and teared them on the spot :DDDD

Their clams are also the non-alcohol soaked but cooked types, which is a little bastardised I guess. But at least they provide it. I still like the Rasa Malaya version better hehe (despite the lack of Laksa leaves which u need to buy urself!) xD

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm Reply

Wow you are so technical and I m so ignorant but I have actually never heard of Laksa leaves :) is that why it’s called curry and Assam Laksa?

I m really not a pro at Laksa and believe you guys that it’s bastardized but I still like it :P

2. Choc Chip Uru October 8, 2012 at 6:26 am Reply

I don’t mind your long posts my friend :D
    But gaaah being busy is the worst ;)
    This place looks seriously delish, definitely would not mind trying it out someday!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 8, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reply

Thank you Uru for your continuous support :) you are the model reader hehe ~ hurry and come to Melbourne soon hehe xox

3. hotlyspiced October 8, 2012 at 7:13 am Reply

I love laksa and you’ve inspired me – I think I’ll make it for dinner tonight! What a great value restaurant and they sure do have a lot of choices on their menu xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm Reply

I wanted Laksa for dinner tonight too Charlie :) But we didn’t have the ingredients damn hahaha doesn’t matter will have to come back soon ~ Definitely great value :D xox

4. gourmetgetaway October 8, 2012 at 8:44 am Reply

Oh that all looks so delicious! I haven’t had a laksa for ages and I have been craving noodles of all shapes so I think I will have to go in search of some Laksa… probably for lunch ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 8:37 am Reply

You should make it at home soon Julie :) it’s super delicious and I could have a bowl for lunch and dinner or a late night supper after drinking :P

5. Hannah October 8, 2012 at 10:58 am Reply

It’s my dream to one day find assam laksa. Sour soups (and they have pineapple, right?) are absolutely my thing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 8:38 am Reply

Yup that’s the one! You haven’t had it before? next time you come to Melbourne I’ll take you to Laksa King or we can ask others were they best Assam Laksa is :)

6. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals October 8, 2012 at 11:03 am Reply

I truly think we need something like this at Houston! I love soup noodles, though there are Malay restaurants here, but our favorite Indo noodle house closed down years ago, I was sooo sad! So envious of your restaurant scene!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm Reply

Oh no >_< do you know why the indo restaurant closed down? Any reason? It's always a shame when places that are so great and that you like so much close down :( you don't need to be jealous Jeno! Because you are such a good cook you can just cook everything hehe :)

7. Vien October 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm Reply

Love assam laksa! I prefer them to curry laksa!! :D whenever I’m back in Malaysia, I’ll have assam laksa for my dinner once a week!!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm Reply

Hahaha really?!? I find the Assam Laksa too tangy for me hehe but live the curry Laksa :) guess we all have different preferences ~

8. Kiran October 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm Reply

Oh my, you are literally killing me softly with all of these Malaysian food deliciousness. Waaaaaaaaaaant!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 8, 2012 at 5:03 pm Reply

I m sorry hehe but the curry Laksa really is SO delicious :) I d love a bowl of it now!

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 8, 2012 at 7:03 pm Reply

Hehe well I have a problem with rambling too and I hope people don’t mind it but I like reading long posts! :D I can’t believe that the laksa is the same after all those years! :o

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:41 am Reply

I like reading long posts too :) And I like the stories people share hehe ~ have you had the laksa here before? SUPER Yum!

10. liannelow October 8, 2012 at 8:34 pm Reply

I love their laksa! (: Though it’s different from those from home, but it’s still delicious and definitely satisfies my laksa cravings! hehe NOMS! Their fried fish laksa is my fav! hehe x

ps : love long posts! keep them coming!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:44 am Reply

Woo hoo a Singaporean who likes it hehe :) I knew they weren’t all that bad :P I’d love to try the authentic ones in Singapore though ~ we should go together! Cuz we need at least 3 people for the Good Value banquet hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:45 am Reply

Ps thanks for the feedback and putting up with my rambling :P

• liannelow October 9, 2012 at 4:48 pm Reply

hehe sure! im sure lester won’t mind! (: x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm Reply

WOO HOO! :) Can’t wait xox

11. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) October 8, 2012 at 8:37 pm Reply

oooh! Didn’t know LK served up 3 colour! I’m sold and luckily, so near :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:45 am Reply

I didn’t know you were so close :) so jealous! Yeah they have 3 colour hehe even though another person pointed out that it is a Malaysian place and not a Vietnamese one hehe

12. theragingcook October 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm Reply

I haven’t been in nearly 2 years but I… liked it!!!! Hahaha and I haven’t been to Malaysia or Singapore so… apparently I’m missing out!

• theragingcook October 8, 2012 at 9:47 pm Reply

Hang on wait a minute, I thought 3 colours was a Vietnamese drink??? Didn’t see it at Laksa King 18 months ago hrmmmm lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:54 am Reply

I really like it too :) Just wished it was closer to home hehe ~ yeah I didn’t think of that until you mentioned it! That why would a Malaysian place have a 3 colour drink but hey it was good hahaha

13. Ali October 8, 2012 at 10:32 pm Reply

That curry laksa looks awesome! Hope you’ve had a bit of time to relax :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:55 am Reply

Thank you Ali :) i’m trying to take time off but it seems like I never have enough time to do anything hehe ~

14. Linda @ My Foodgasm Journal October 9, 2012 at 4:25 am Reply

Sooo many options to choose from for laksa. Slurp, that looks so delicious and that happy hour is so worth ir! Errr, ok I have to admit that I’m getting hungry after reading this post and I love reading you long post. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 10:56 am Reply

I didn’t know there were so many variations of laksa either hehe :) But my favourite is still with chicken ~ i’m so boring! thanks for enjoying my long posts ~ I just hope I don’t bore you guys!

15. Catherine October 9, 2012 at 10:45 am Reply

Laksa King used to be a lot better back in the days before they relocated and revamped it to look fancier. I love Assam Laksa and my bf’s dad told me that there’s a REALLY good place in box hill that serves it but only on weekends in the morning and close at 4pm or something?? haha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 11:04 am Reply

Yeah I’ve heard that before! And think I agree with you but it was still pretty nice and I have to be a little pretentious and say it is much nicer than before :P You’ve gotta try Madame Kwong’s assam laksa ~ cuz the whole place is pretty good hopefully their laksa wont disappoint you!

16. Christine (@cookingcrusade) October 9, 2012 at 1:05 pm Reply

Looks like a great place for after work dinner.. I love a good laksa too but don’t have them nearly enough! Such good value – you have to go try that banquet it sounds amazing and sooo cheap!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm Reply

I know how good does that sound??! I’m definitely going back for the Good Value banquet hehe you should have laksa more hehe it’s so so so comforting and simply delicious :D

17. Julie October 9, 2012 at 2:16 pm Reply

It’s tough to always compare back to authentic food, but what you can find in Melbourne it’s a good decent version to satisfy your tummy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 2:53 pm Reply

I agree Julie :) it’s very hard to find what is authentic even though I’m no expert anyway hehe I still like the laksa here it’s yummy and the soup is addicitive!

18. Tina @ bitemeshowme October 10, 2012 at 10:44 am Reply

i love love loveeeeeeeee laska. I tend to drink A LOT of the soup too. It’s what makes it a laska ;)

19. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 10, 2012 at 11:34 am Reply

I’m fairly new to the laksa loving group. I don’t really know too much about it but have been here once & enjoyed my bowl :)
    Heidi xo

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 10, 2012 at 1:16 pm Reply

Wow I love this restaurant and I see why it’s so popular. Look at the long list of menu… I’d stop by every day to eat here! I’ve been seen laksa on food blogs and I have to say one of top 3 dishes that I’ve been looking forward to eat after I learned about it from food blog. It could be a little spicy for me but I look forward to trying it.

21. threehanns78 October 10, 2012 at 11:54 pm Reply

I Believe the “Best Laksa” are the one you make yourselves even if you have to follow and old Malaysian/Chinese cook book, the satisfaction is far greater.
    I hope i get t try this place out soon and compare it to Penang coffee house as the did a good Laksa back in the days.

Thais have a similar version called Kanon jin. Give this a go, Its rare to fine :P

22. Zoe October 11, 2012 at 8:59 am Reply

I used to go to this laksa king a lot before their major renovation and now I’m actually quite disappointed after their transformation. The food that they served is never authentic anymore and most were cooked to suit the taste of non-Asian customers. Very sad… I still like the old but traditional Laska King.