Farm Animals and Food – The Royal Melbourne Show

Even though Mr Bao and I have been together for 3 years and have travelled to quite a few places with each other, we have never gone to The Royal Melbourne Show together :) For my Dearest Readers who are overseas, The Royal Melbourne Show is the annual agricultural event where farmers can share their produce and let people meet their proud animals :) It’s also a carnival with rides and show bags for kids ~

I remember going to the Show with Win Win as a kid and would go on all the crazy rides and get all the show bags, she’d buy me :) Now that I’m all grown up lol she doesn’t take me anymore but I can’t wait till my nephew is old enough, I’m gonna take him and spoil him ROTTEN :D

Apart from the animals, produce and rides there is also a lot of FOOD :) And I’m sure you all know how important food is to me hahaha ~ They have 3 pavilions just for food hehe the Taste of Victoria pavilion, Woolworths Fresh Food pavilion and the My Kitchen Rules pavilion :)

Jam Donut $1.50 Each

We got there at just before noon, and even though we had breakfast lol we were hungry again hahaha I actually don’t think we were that hungry…we just couldn’t resist the Dagwood (Corn) Dogs or the hot jam donuts, so we immediately got one hehe. I’m really not a corn dog kinda girl…the thick batter just doesn’t fancy me ~ but the hot jam donut was good, not really fresh but it’s quite warm and delicious.

Corn Dog $5AUD

We then walked past the Ferris Wheel and immediately wanted to jump on, but then realised queues were crazyyy and I’ve gone on so many ferris wheels it doesn’t really excite me as much anymore :P so I dragged Mr Bao away and went straight to the Taste of Victoria pavilion ~

FERRIS WHEEL :)

Just before walking in, Mr Bao stopped in front of the Cornutopia Taco  food truck and said he was still hungry… lol how is it possible? I don’t know but we ordered corn off the cob and chicken taco.

I love corn and think butter and corn are a match made in heaven :) it’s such a simple dish but it’s so so so delicious! Think I’m gonna make some at home tonight for dinner :D

Corn off the cob $4AUD

The taco was nice, but we found the chargrilled chicken to be slightly overcooked which made it a little tough and underseasoned :( unfortunately, not the best tacos we’ve had ~

Chicken taco $6 AUD

This pavilion reminds me of the Good Food and Wine show we went to back in June :) But it’s a much smaller scale ~ With only a hand full of exhibitors from rural Victoria :) It was lovely to meet the owners and producers and talk to them about their product hehe ~ I found this Cactus honey to be very interesting! Who know that bees would make honey from cactus plants and not only floral ones :)

There was also a free cooking lesson, where a chef from Bendigo (rural town 1.5 hours away from Melbourne) teaching us how to make beetroot gnocchi with fried onions :) I’m not really a fan of beetroot but the fried onions made my mouth water!

We had a taste of most things, then wondered over to the Woolthworths Fresh Food Pavilion, as soon as we walked in, I wanted to kick myself for letting Mr Bao order the underwhelming taco…because this pavilion was SO much bigger, with much more choices! Starting off with hot dogs, fish and chips, Po Boys, burgers, paella and even dim sims! And for sweets you had a choice of cupcakes, hot donuts, crepes, waffles, dutch pancakes and even churros!

Mr Bao immediately found us a table and asked me to sit down while he got us food :) lol I was so confused to what I wanted!

Seafood Paella $9AUD

I kinda guessed Mr Bao was going to get the seafood paella, it’s his thing lately to get paellas hehe ~ it was served in a cute little Chinese takeaway box, with a generous amount of seafood in the paella ~ I was impressed with the calamari it was so tender and yum!

Churros $5AUD

Me SO happy with Churros :)

I love Churros! But they have to be freshly made and not the stale types ~ And this was definitely fresh! It was so crisp and crunchy but still fluffy inside! Only complaint was…it needed more icing sugar or some melted chocolate for dipping :P There WAS a chocolate coated churros but Mr Bao…decided he’ll get me the ‘plain’ one…lol I wasn’t very happy because I love anything coated with chocolate! Don’t get me wrong these were still delicious ~

Yes I know…I’ve already had a donut and churros but then I really really REALLY wanted to try Big Lou’s hot jam donuts too :) the lines never died, there was a voice in my head that kept telling me “Do it you know you want to…” So I DID! I went and bought ANOTHER hot jam donut :) NOW this is what I call a HOT jam donut, the one I had before was merely warm, but this was piping hot with cinnamon sugar coated all over!

Hot Jam Donut $1.5AUD each

Just look at the strawberry jam oozing out! For all Melbourner’s you may have heard of the hot jam donuts at the Queen Victoria Markets? These were just as good if not better! Damn I want another one now :)

Why do we only have on stomach? :( There were still so many stalls I wanted to try…like this stall Waffleland that sold waffles, it looked and smelt DEVINE ~ oh wells…maybe next time!

Bike N Blend $7AUD mixed berry smoothie

LOL I think Mr Bao felt a bit guilty eating all that junk food, because he immediately stopped at this stall and said he wanted to get a smoothie ~ It’s quite fun here at Bike N Blend! You order your smoothie and then the staff will place it onto the bike and to blend you have to cycle :)

HAHAHA I couldn’t stop laughing when Mr Bao was cycling so hard, the girl looking after the stall said “OK! You’re doing a great job, but I think that’s enough” hahhaa I think they were worried that Mr Bao was going too quickly and break the bike or knock the glass jug over :P

OK enough eating hahaha I didn’t know Mr Bao was such an animal lover until he said “I don’t care what we do, but I have to go to the Livestock pavilion ~ lol I wasn’t keen because I’ve seen farm animals so many times and they’re not the most pleasant smelling animals! It was thenI realised cows can be so BIG hahaha they were like triple my size! Wow~

I know many people say showbags aren’t really worth the value and are for kids, but I couldn’t help just want to get a few to take home! It’s like you haven’t gone to the Show if you don’t get any show bags hehe ~ We got a few magazine bags (Super Food Idea and Good Taste) and also chocolate bags. The Cadbury show bag was so tempting we couldn’t stay no especially since it came with Cadbury headphones! I’m gonna be the coolest person next time I go to the gym :D Will take a picture of it later and share on Instagram and Twitter ~

Very quickly it was nearly 6pm and we were already running late to our dinner date, but I couldn’t leave the Show without stopping and trying out the FAMOUS scones at the Country Women’s Association (CWA) cafeteria. The CWA is the largest women’s association in Australia where they provide friendship, support and try to improve lives of women and children in rural and urban areas in Australia :) I really respect all the ladies there at the cafeteria, because they are all volunteers and all money raised at the cafeteria will be donated to the association.

Despite still feeling full, we got the renown scones and the lamington which Kate from Masterchef Australia had so much trouble making on the show :)

Scones with cream and strawberry jam $2.5 each

The scones were still slightly warm when I cut into it ~ I quickly layered it with cream and topped it with strawberry jam, Mr Bao and I took and bite and looked at each other and grinned! No wonder these scones are SO famous! They are so light, fluffy and delicious without that strong bi carb taste or sandy texture.

My only compliant would be the scones could have been slightly warmer and I know the CWA ladies make amazing jams so it would’ve been even more impressive it they were served with homemade strawberry jam instead of the packaged jam. But still I was so impressed with the scones that I bought the cookbook~ All recipes in there are so traditional :) I can’t wait to try some of the recipes in the book especially the Honey roll and the Lumberjack cake ~

Lamington $4AUD

Now to the lamington, I’m not sure if they’re a British cake or an Australian cake, but I’ve never been a fan because find it so hard to get a good lamington, because the sponge cake centre itself can be so dry, it can dry out my mouth :( But this lamington was so soft and moist! Even Mr Bao said it’s the best lamington he’s had :)

And that concludes our wonderful day at The Royal Melbourne Show ~ it was so good to go back after 4 years and nice to be able to take Mr Bao for his very first time. I know I’ll definitely come back for the food and show bags and I wonder if Mr Bao will come back again for the farm animals? :P Either way we had a great time! Hope anyone who managed to go this year had an amazing time too :D

PS Happy Mid Autumn Festival to everyone who celebrates it :) Mr Bao and I had a very wonderful Chinese homecooked meal and way too much
Mooncake!

20121002-103922.jpg

20121002-104307.jpg

Tagged: , , ,

55 thoughts on “Farm Animals and Food – The Royal Melbourne Show

1. Christine (@cookingcrusade) October 2, 2012 at 11:44 am Reply

Aww you guys are too cute! What an awesome looking day. I love show food – soo good. And that blend bike thing is the coolest thing I have ever seen! Hahah I want one! and now I feel like corn and butter mmm

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm Reply

Thanks Christine :) we had such a great time hehe so nice to just be able to go and have fun and relax ~ I totally think the bike n blend is such a clever idea hehe I might rent it next time I have a party :P

2. myfoodgasmjournalblog October 2, 2012 at 1:17 pm Reply

That’s really a lovely day to be out and eat! I can’t believe how long that corn dog and so many food options you got there. Speaking of corn, I tried some interesting corn combo when I was in Bali. They served corn as desserts, so it’s mixed with chocolate condensed milk. Interesting, huh? I like mine with garlic, a bit spicy, lime, and cheese. Anyways, my fave. part was bike n blend – that’s so cute and very entertaining, hahaha.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 2, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply

It sure was a fun day out with Mr Bao :) You thought so too?!? I was thinking to myself the same thing that the corn dog was really long and big hahaa but Mr Bao seemed to enjoy it :P

OH OH OH I’ve had a similar dessert before!!! Where corn is served as an element of a dessert ~ I’d love to try the mixture you described with the chocolate and condensed milk hehe :D

I wish we could have a bike n blend at home! We’ll loose so much weight hahaha

3. Iron Chef Shellie October 2, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reply

YAYAY! looks like you guys had a great time! Sorry I couldn’t come join in the fun. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 2, 2012 at 10:25 pm Reply

It’s okay Shellie don’t worry! You were sick! Hope you’re feeling better ~ We might be able to go together next year hehe!

4. Choc Chip Uru October 2, 2012 at 1:25 pm Reply

You guys are so cute enjoying eating and having fun! I have dreamed about going to this festival for ages :)

P.S. Come enter my international giveaway to celebrate my 1st Blogiversary!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm Reply

Thanks Uru :) Do you have a similar festival in Sydney? You should definitely go you’ll have a BLAST!

Im definitely participating hehe congrats for your 1st blogversary!

5. hotlyspiced October 2, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reply

What a great day out and you’d certainly have to go on an empty stomach. So much food and such a huge range. I love the look of the warm doughnut and warm churros and warm scones and the lamington. Like you, I’m not really a fan unless they have cream inside them because the sponge can be a bit dry. I want the CWA cookbook! Can’t wait to see what you share from it xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 2, 2012 at 10:31 pm Reply

We didn’t really go with an empty stomach but we did a lot of walking so I think it made up for all the food we ate :P I enjoyed all of the food SO SO SO much hehe ~

I can’t wait to try the recipes from the CWA cookbook :) Hope you will enjoy them when I do post these recipes!

6. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals October 2, 2012 at 3:06 pm Reply

Oh Daisy the Royal Melbourne Show looks a lot like the Houston Live Stock Show and Rodeo, it’s a huge deal here, and tons of delicious fried food (Texans LOVE fried anything). I am so in love with the hot jellied donut photos, they made my mouth water, and I can not recall the last time I had one… :(

Happy belated moon festival holiday to you and Mr. Bao, We were too cheap to buy mooncakes, most gift boxes cost above $25, which is way too much to spent on 4 mooncakes. I might venture out and buy some this week, they should be much cheaper since it’s after the holiday, hahah!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm Reply

That really does sound very similar especially with the Live Stock section hehe :) I would love to try authentic Texan fried food! I bet it’ll be so delicious ahhaha my mouth is watering just thinking about it :P

The hot jam donuts were the BEST! You don’t remember when you had one? Then you’ve gotta go hunt one down and have it :) It’s just simply the best!!!

Happy belated mid-autumn festival to you and your family too ~ we actually only bought one moonbake because they are quite expensive but we have been so lucky so many people gave us either store bought or homemade mooncakes :) And I love doing that! Going after the festival ahhaha just like how I go Easter egg hunting after Easter :P

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 2, 2012 at 7:08 pm Reply

Hehe what a great day! Love the idea of fresh jam donuts and that bike is hilarious! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 2, 2012 at 10:43 pm Reply

The bike n blend was also my favourite hahaha :) I thought it was so funny ~

8. Vien October 2, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reply

What a yummy day out!!!!! :D both of you look so cute together! Happy belated moon cake festival! I had tones of mooncakeeeeeeee yumm

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 3, 2012 at 10:41 am Reply

It sure was fun :) Especially since we haven’t gone with each other before hehe ~ Happy Belated mooncake festival too :) LOL I’m STILL eating mooncakes they don’t stop!

9. penny aka jeroxie October 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm Reply

happy mooncake day and festival!

10. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. October 2, 2012 at 9:44 pm Reply

I can’t believe we were there at the same time again and we didn’t bump into each other!!! (3G was super slow on my phone so I couldn’t even check instagram so I didn’t know you were there till after I left!)

I wanted to try that awesome corn from the truck but we’d already stuffed ourselves with corn ON the cob from inside the pavilion, hehehe :) We ate so much fairy floss afterwards I’m surprised we’re not all sick!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 3, 2012 at 10:45 am Reply

I know Winnie! I am actually genuinely annoyed (not at you) but at the 3G network because if we were able to Instagram hahaha or Tweet we would’ve been able to meet each other :D

But it’s all good we’ll just have to wait till next Thursday and have double waffles to make up for it!

The corn from this truck was good, but i would’ve liked it if there was some cheese on top hahaha surprisingly I didn’t have fairy floss! I was tempted though :P

11. libishski October 2, 2012 at 9:48 pm Reply

It’s been ages since I’ve been to the show. I used to work at Ticketek and there was a point in my life where I’d be working at the show every day it was on, every year. It got to the point where I got so sick of it so I decided not to come back haha.

Having said that, from what I’ve heard from friends – and now YOU – the show this year was really good. I think I might have to go next year, if only just for the food!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 3, 2012 at 10:50 am Reply

Ohhh I would love to help out at the Show :) it seems like so much fun and I love seeing all the happy kids run around with fairy floss and face paint. BUT having said that hahaha I did want to punch some of the ones that were rude!

I can understand you getting sick of it :P But if you have the chance, you should go back next year ~ it was a lot of fun this year and the food has really improved hehe :D

12. threehanns78 October 2, 2012 at 9:50 pm Reply

Wow. Awesome time out and happy looking couple. :D haha funny you mention donuts and churros, cos we were at QVic market on sunday and stuffed ourselves there. Btw there having a food fest on 14 october.

Corrrrrrrnn, love especially with coconut cream (S.E.Asian dessert). So much food, activities and fun. next year for sure.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 3, 2012 at 10:52 am Reply

We sure had a wonderful time :) Thank you! Ohhh i know that event I went last year ~ Not sure if i can go on the 14th but QV market I wanna go too, haven’t gone for agessss :D

Hahhaa I haven’t had many desserts made from corn except popcorn but anything with coconut I’m sure is nice!

Definitely go next year if you can hehe the food was YUMMEH!

13. HK Epicurus October 3, 2012 at 6:14 am Reply

Nice write up about the Royal Melbourne Show!!

I haven’t been for ages lol and missed it last year damn!

Seems like the food has improved slightly too hehe :) That’s what I care about a lot LOL :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 3, 2012 at 10:55 am Reply

Thanks Kelvin :) Wasn’t sure if my write up was going to be too personal and place too much focus on the food hahaha

The food has definitely improved by heaps since the last time I went! Damn you should’ve gone!

Doesn’t matter always next time :) Come back soon dude!

14. Norma Chang October 3, 2012 at 9:48 am Reply

Great day at the fair and sounds like the food is great. But where in the world do you and Mr.Bao put all that food?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 3, 2012 at 10:58 am Reply

Thank you Norma :) hahhaha I don’t know where we put it either! We are always overeating it’s really bad hehe ~

15. Catherine October 3, 2012 at 11:01 am Reply

Oh man! Now I really want to go haha I only ever go for the showbags. So much yummy looking food!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 4, 2012 at 8:29 am Reply

Oh damn you should have told me! Because then I would’ve been able to help you grab the show bags that you want :)

16. Kiran October 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm Reply

I refuse to fixate at anything else, other than donuts and churros :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 4, 2012 at 8:30 am Reply

Hahhahaa I know what you mean :D Cuz i’m still dreaming about the donuts and churros too ~ SO DELICIOUS!

17. squishymonster October 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm Reply

You guys are so cute—I love it!! Looks like a great time ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 4, 2012 at 8:31 am Reply

Thanks for your sweet comment :) we had a BLAST hehe, I think we’re gonna go again next year ~

18. theragingcook October 3, 2012 at 9:25 pm Reply

Oh the memories! The first time I went to the Melbourne Show was as a 2 year old back in 1984!!!! Hahahaha. Hrmmm it actually looks good and worthwhile to visit to eat all that fresh produce (converted) into deliciously looking streetfood! But haha I can’t stand kids (well I can stand good kids, just can’t stand the screaming, crying spoilt ones haha).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 4, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply

Hhahaa don’t you worry! I know exactly what you mean! Good kids are fine but there were sure quite a few kids there where I simply wanted to PUNCH hahaa they annoy the crap out of me :P

I was really impressed with the food this year ~ Because I remember all the crappy food going as a kid,but this year with the Taste of Victoria pavilion and the Woolworths Fresh Food pavilion they food was quite good hehe :D

Worth checking out next year if you have time ~

19. liannelow October 3, 2012 at 11:40 pm Reply

ahhh! So much fun! (: and food of course! Love the Bike and blend concept! hehe We would all be skinny if we always have to work so hard to have our food! hehe Nice to see all the smiles on both your faces! I’m sure you both had a great time! I miss going to the Royal Melbourne Show! hehe Maybe next year! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 4, 2012 at 8:36 am Reply

Hhahaa I agree if we all had to ‘work hard’ for food it’ll make slimming down and staying slim so much easier :P I actually wouldn’t mind having one of those bikes at home hahaha :)

We have a lovely time ~ might be worth checking out next year with your Hubby too hehe good to go back and relive those crazy student days :D xox

• liannelow October 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm Reply

haha definitely! probably next year we will! hehe x

20. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) October 4, 2012 at 4:57 pm Reply

This show sounds amazing with all that food available to eat! I know i would be checking them first before going to see the animals for sure :)
    Love going to shows like this with lots of eating stalls; it makes the whole experience a lot more exciting ;p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 5, 2012 at 8:36 am Reply

I couldn’t agree with you more Jane :) The rides, the animals and the showbags were amazing but lol nothing beats wonderful and delicious FOOD :) I’m so glad that the food has improved and we had the chance to sample so much hehe talk about overeating :P

21. leaf (the indolent cook) October 5, 2012 at 12:37 am Reply

Looks fun! I actually don’t think I’ve ever been to the show… I should, maybe next year. All your photos make it look like a great day out. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 5, 2012 at 8:59 am Reply

Oh you haven’t gone before Leaf? You should definitely go next year hehe ~ it’s so so so much fun and I bet you and Simon will enjoy it as much as we did ~

22. Cupcake Crazy Gem October 5, 2012 at 1:46 am Reply

Oh my goodness Daisy this looked amazing!!! Corn Dogs, Churros, Tacos, Corn, Lamingtons – that’s like all my favourite things right there!!! I was drooling looking at this post! and lamingtons are defo Aussie cakes! also I never knew you got corn dogs in Oz!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 5, 2012 at 9:04 am Reply

Hhahaha I wish I was in Canada or US with you right now!!! You get so much more of these types of food and it’s probably even better than it does here cuz it’ll be more authentic :) I can’t wait till you come back to Australia so then I can take you around hehe :) Yeah corn dogs are kinda new things for us ~ but i still don’t like it! The doughy batter is weird :P

23. GourmetGetaways (@GourmetGetaway) October 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm Reply

I am having a little bit of trouble commenting :( Internet keeps dropping out at critical moments:/ just wanted to say that everything looks so delicious… You just have to love show food :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 6, 2012 at 8:05 pm Reply

Thanks Julie :) I love show food too ~ even though i’m sure it’s not that great for the body hahaha! I can’t wait to go back next year for some more food hehe :P

24. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake October 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm Reply

Haha awesome photos, you’re making me crave churros and doughnuts! I used to go to the show all the time, but haven’t been for about 2-3 years now. Always love the animals there. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 6, 2012 at 8:12 pm Reply

Thanks Jenny :) Hahaha I’m making myself crave churros and doughnuts too :P I know what you mean ~ I use to go a lot too but then it got harder to make time and go hehe but maybe go next time!

25. Zoe October 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm Reply

Hi Daisy,

I have been living in Melbourne for more than 10 years but we have never been to the Royal Melbourne Show too. We might be going to the show next year or the year after… We seems to postpone this plan every year… Ops!

Zoe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm Reply

Hi Zoe :)

I know many people who live in Melbourne but they haven’t gone to the show hehe i think it’s very for us to overlook it and forget about it ~ but it ‘s sure fun!

I post-poned it for 3 years too so I completely understand hehe! hope you make it next year with your kids, because I am sure they will LOVE IT!

26. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 10, 2012 at 11:36 am Reply