Dilmah Charitea – Thank you Not Quite Nigella

Before I start with today’s post, I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Lorraine from Not Quite Nigella, for giving me two tickets to the invite only – Dilmah Charitea event that happened a couple of weeks ago. I am so sorry for blogging it so late, work has simply been crazy and I’m just finding it hard to catch up with everything :)

A little background about how I won tickets :P, I saw on NQN’s blog that she had an wonderful giveaway and 2 lucky readers were to win 2 tickets to the exclusive Dilmah Charitea, held at the Botanical Gardens on the 3rd of September ~ I was so persistent hehe leaving comments everyday, Sorry Lorraine if I spammed you :) but I really wanted to go because for one I love high teas and have been itching to go and two I think it’s for a great cause!

Eventually, a late Saturday night, I checked my email and got an email from the PR company who organised this event, letting me know I had won tickets to Dilmah’s Charitea and it was going to be held on the following Monday! OMG I was freaking out…I had hurt my foot and the doctor had put me on bed rest…but I really really REALLY wanted to go! So… against Mr Bao’s wishes and my doctors wishes :P I took the afternoon off and went! Don’t worry all is well, I made sure I wasn’t walking much and sat down once we got there :)

Gosh I feel so silly, but even though I’ve lived in Melbourne all my life, this was actually the first time I had visited The Botanical Gardens, but trust me it will NOT be the last time~ it’s so pretty inside, with the lake and the green grass and black swans hehe. Not sure when but I have told Mr Bao we must have a picnic here when it’s warm enough! Any one else who would like to come?

The event was held at the function room inside the Botanical Gardens ‘The Terrence’, a small yet spacious ball room ~ with nicely decorated tables I was then also very lucky to have found out before attending that Adrian from Food Rehab, was going to be there as well! I was once again very lucky and even more excited, because I had been following Adrian’s blog for a long time, and had wanted to meet him in person ~ he was so kind to have saved Mr Bao and I seats.

Soon after we sat down a girl walked up to me and asked if I was ‘Daisy from Never Too Sweet’. I was a little shocked at first but then quickly realized it was Jenny from Ichigo Shortcake! Turns out she was the other lucky Reader! You all need to go hop over to Jenny’s blog, her photos are always perfect and reviews are fair and honest ;) Check out her post about the Dilmah Charitea event too ~

Source: Peter Kuruvita

Patrick Kuruvita acclaimed restaurateur and chef, was the host of this event. and started explaining his experience with the Merrill J Fernando (MJF) charity. He was so sweet and friendly to everyone ~ Then very quietly the waitresses came over and put two 3 tier stands filled full of savouries in front of us.

There were generous servings of everything, starting from the bottom there were a selection of sandwiches. Then in the middle layer it was mini pies, sausage rolls and quiches then to the top was a little brioche piece with duck breast.

Between Ricky and I, we tried most things, and everything was really fresh especially the sandwiches which is hard to find with high teas, as they are usually premade.

The mini pies and sausage rolls were also nice but we much preferred the sandwiches. The duck brioche was lovely too but we felt that the duck was a little underseasoned.

It was then followed by Mr Merrill J Fernando himself giving a short speech, telling us about how founded Dilmah tea and also the charities he has help fund.

Did you know Dilmah is the first company to sell Single Origin Ceylon tea, I have always known Dilmah tea for obviously their tea, but never did I know how sustainable and ethical they were. Mr Dilmah was happy to buy tea leaves from local Sri Lankan tea growers at a higher price, if this meant that the tea was grown ethically and no one is exploited.

It really touched me to see and hear the different types of charities Dilmah does and the number of people it has helped ~ This means, when you drink Dilmah tea you are not helping yourself, because tea had lots of antioxidants. But you are also helping the community that the tea came from :) this is definitely a WIN WIN situation ~

Shortly after the video it was time for the most important part of high tea. The scones and SWEETS ~ there were nice plump and slightly golden brown scones on the bottom tier, followed by chocolate coated strawberries, miniature pastries and chocolate truffles.

Now high tea would be high tea without scones, and scones wouldn’t be complete without jam and cream! I don’t really like cream…but when I have scones…I always slather a huge slab on hehe ~ the scones were light and fluffy, the strawberry jam was also delicious, but I don’t think it was Chantilly cream it was just whipped cream.

I was a greedy little piggy and got to try one of everything hehe yay! Mr Bao didn’t really eat much he was more interested in the savoury lol the mini lemon curd tart was nice but I think I’ve seen it before at some cafes, the chocolate coated strawberry and chocolate truffles were rich and sweet. The macaron was surprisingly soft but Mr Bao liked the strawberry filling ~

But the Orange and Almond baklava DEFINITELY stole the spot light! It was SO delicious! I loved the orange syrup that was used and the soft crunch the almond gave! I think one of the best baklavas I’ve had lately :D No surprise it was the winner.

Two hours flew by us and very quickly the event ended, as we walked out the door, we were both given a gift bag full of Dilmah tea and gifts. Dilmah is so generous, gosh I felt bad, not only did we go as guests, but also got to take home such a packed bag full of gifts. I did manage to share some of the Dilmah tea with my friends and colleagues ~

The Dilmah Charitea event is definitely going to be one that I will never forget, meeting the Fernando family, Peter Kuruvita, Adrian and Jenny, it’ll be perfect if Lorraine was there too. It was also very eye-opening to learn so much about the history of ceylon tea the wonderful things the Dilmah does to help those in need.

Daisy and Mr Bao @ Never Too Sweet attended the Dilmah Chartea event as guests of Dilmah and Not Quite Nigella

Tagged: , , , ,

38 thoughts on “Dilmah Charitea – Thank you Not Quite Nigella

1. Christine (@cookingcrusade) September 29, 2012 at 12:15 am Reply

Oh congrats on winning those tickets! Looks like there were plenty of delicious treats for you guys to sample :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:34 am Reply

Thanks dearie :) i was super excited about winning and it was just a wonderful experience!

2. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals September 29, 2012 at 12:41 am Reply

Wow what a wonderful charity! And you are so lucky to have been the guests. Daisy I love the way you describe the tasting, I truly feel like I am sitting there with you, even though truthfully I’ve NEVER been to high tea, and after following your blog, it’s something I know I must do in the near future!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:36 am Reply

Hello Jeno :) You’ve gotta go try and experience a high tea soon hehe :) i bet you’ll love it! And even if you can’t find a good high tea place, maybe try creating your own? I’ve always wanted to do that, but simply haven’t had the time >_<

I'm glad you like my descriptions, I was worried that I was getting too technical! How much i wish wish wish you were here in Melbourne and then I can take you to all the great places for high tea and share so many desserts with you! Hope you had a wonderful Mid Autumn Festival!

3. myfoodgasmjournalblog September 29, 2012 at 5:16 am Reply

Oh wow – they’re so sweet and generous! It must be lovely to be there and of course enjoyed lovely nummies.
    PS: I’d love to go on a picnic with you there. Sign me up! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:37 am Reply

I’d love to go on a Picnic with you too :) but are you in Melbourne? hahhaa I’ve forgotten :P I could eat that baklava everyday!

4. Choc Chip Uru September 29, 2012 at 5:35 am Reply

I read about this over at NQN’s blog, what an incredible event to attend my friend :D
    Thank you for sharing your photos!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:38 am Reply

Hi Uru :) It was indeed an amazing event and I was so lucky to have won tickets and be invited!

5. hotlyspiced September 29, 2012 at 7:49 am Reply

Wow, what a great experience, Daisy and you must have been so thrilled to have won the competition! I love high teas and they seem to be coming back in fashion. I’m so glad the sandwiches were fresh because like you say, they’re often a bit stale. I always pile high the cream when I’m having a scone too – so unnecessary but totally the right thing to do at a high tea. The sausage roll looks really yummy but that baklava definitely caught my eye! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:43 am Reply

I was definitely over the MOON when I knew i won tickets Charlie :) it was an amazing event and getting to meet the Dilmah family and the other two bloggers.And not to mention the food was lovely too, and yes I was surprised and impressed that the sandwiches were so fresh, because I really detest stales sandwiches :( I would love to eat that baklava again! So hard to find good ones :D

6. Norma Chang September 29, 2012 at 9:28 am Reply

What a fantastic experience, Everything looks so delicious and nicely presented. Beautiful photos. Hope your foot is completely healed by now.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:48 am Reply

Thanks Norma :) my foot is a lot better now! Probably wasn’t the best idea to go to the event but it was just too good to miss and i’m so glad i went hehe :)

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 29, 2012 at 10:59 am Reply

Daisy, I’m so glad that you had a great time! You definitely deserved to win as you were commendable with your persistence-I could tell that you’d be a happy winner and that’s what we’re after! :) Great report and photos and I am glad that the foot is ok!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm Reply

Thanks Lorraine :) i’m so glad you liked my report and photos hehe ~ they had amazing lighting there which makes it so much easier to take photos! I’m so sorry for spamming your blog posts hehe! I was definitely thrilled to win the tickets and am never going to forget about it!

• Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 1, 2012 at 8:12 pm Reply

Daisy, you weren’t spamming at all, don’t be silly darling :P I thought it was enthusiasm, pure and simple :)

8. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed September 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm Reply

fun fun! I love tea :)
    Heidi xo

9. liannelow September 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm Reply

Brilliant event! (: Lucky you to have won this opportunity! hehe Congrats babe! Tea for the win! hehe x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm Reply

Thanks Dearie :) it was definitely amazing to win ticket to such a fantastic event! Have picnic with me??!! :D

10. MoMo and Coco Dessert Correspondents September 30, 2012 at 4:22 pm Reply

Looks like a very nice high tea event which is rare to come by nowadays. The baklava sweet certainly has our tummies rumbling. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm Reply

Definitely agree that good high teas are hard to find and harder to find in Melbourne~ The baklava was amazing and wish I could buy it somewhere :)

11. thehungerpangs September 30, 2012 at 8:47 pm Reply

I’ve been itching to go to high tea for ages now! Looks like you had a great time – the food looks fantastic! And what a great cause! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm Reply

Me too :) i love high teas but it’s so hard to find good ones here in Melbourne but i think the one at the Burch and Purchese Langham high tea is pretty good hehe ~

12. Ali September 30, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reply

What a fantastic event! Great photos and all that food looks fabulous!

13. threehanns78 September 30, 2012 at 10:51 pm Reply

What a great time you must have had. Scones and high teas are delish with nice surroundings.
    Oh yeh, the Botanicals are nice especially in spring. I must make sure to follow NQN more often and checkout Ichigo aswell, had a lil look and very interesting. I hope all is well.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm Reply

Hey David :) All is well with me hehe thanks for your support! Would you be interested in going to the picnic with me and Mr Bao? Both NQN and Jenny are amazing bloggers so I am sure you are going to enjoy reading and following their blogs too :)

High teas are so hard to find that’s why i always savour the experience for the goods ones ~

14. Sharking for chips and drinks October 1, 2012 at 11:00 am Reply

If I was ever convinced to do a high tea then that selection of goodies would really float my boat. And you got to meet Peter – I have tuned into each of his shows in the South Pacific and loved it. so jealous!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 4:52 pm Reply

I’m kind of embarassed but I have never watched any of Peter’s show but have only seen him on TV :) but he was SUPER nice and friendly hehe ~

15. Food is our religion October 1, 2012 at 1:02 pm Reply

I was sold the minute I saw those pastries woman!

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook October 2, 2012 at 2:29 am Reply

I’m reading both of your blogs and I wish I could meet you two at once! How nice that you got to meet each other and the event sounds wonderful. You are a pro for high tea reviews and I always enjoy reading about it! ;)

17. Nic@diningwithastud October 2, 2012 at 4:19 pm Reply

What a great experience :D congrats on winning

18. Kiran October 3, 2012 at 3:28 pm Reply

So nice that you and Lorraine got to meet at this wonderful event :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 4, 2012 at 8:39 am Reply

I actually didn’t get to meet Lorraine in person :) But it was so kind of her to give tickets out for this wonderful event and I was so lucky to have won :)

19. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake October 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm Reply

Beautiful post Daisy! :D Thanks for the link and it was so so lovely to have met you in person! ;) I didn’t know that was Adrian! I should have said hi~ oh well, next time. :) Need to meet up! Will message you on Twitter.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm Reply

It was so wonderful to meet you in person :) Don’t thank me for the link! I love sharing the love hehe ~ Hahaha yeah that was Adrian but doesn’t matter I’m sure you guys will cross paths again another time ~ Sure thing just tweet me anytime! xox