Alphabakes – Sago (Gula Melaka) Pudding

Oh my gosh… is it really the end of September already? It still feels like June to me! But lol nope we are now in the last week of September and next week it’ll already be October wow :) Anyhow, every month I love participating in the Alphabakes, because it allows me to think outside of the box or simply make something I haven’t before ~

Would like to thank Caroline from Caroline Makes and Ros from The More Occasional Baker for hosting it each month, these girls spend so much time each month, writing the round up :) Thanks girls!

This month the letter is ‘P’ and I made a pudding something less unusual and I’m sure many Readers will be very familiar with this dessert ~ it is a Sago (Gula Melaka) Pudding :D Its a very traditional Malaysian dessert and one of my family favourites, whichwe always order when we go out to Malaysian restaurants.

Quick explanation for those who aren’t familiar, sago is the starchy centre found in palm stems and when cooked they become little balls and have a spongy texture. Gula Melaka is Dark palm sugar and is made from the sap of a Palmyra palm ~ it’s super sweet with a slight caramel taste and its own distinct taste :) And to me only this Gula Melaka sugar will make this sago pudding so delicious! Don’t even both using any other sugars you can find, it just wont be the same ~

My sisters and I have been meaning to try making this at home for a long time…but we never knew where we could find Gula Melaka and I was a bit worried about cooking with pandan leaves. That’s why I would like to say Thank You to Ms I-hua for her detailed recipe on her blog, I followed it to the tee and it worked PERFECTLY YAY!

Recipe – Sago (Gula Melaka) Pudding adapted from Ms I-Hua

Yield - 5 – 6 small ramekins

Ingredients
1 cup of Sago
4 Pandan leaves
2 liters of Water
1 Egg White
150grams Gula Melaka
275ml of Coconut Milk
Vegetable Oil
Pinch of Salt (I forgot oops :P)

Notes
* You can buy sago at most supermarkets
* You can find Pandan leaves (frozen or fresh) and gula melaka at most Asian groceries

Method
1) Wash, gently bruise and tie your pandan leaves into a knot. Bruising them will help release the fragrance from the pandan leaves.

2) Add water into a large pot and bring to boil. Add sago and pandan leave, and stir to separate grains.
3) As the sago cooks, it will float to the top and become translucent takes around 5 to 7 minutes, best way to check is to taste it, if it is still hard, it is not ready yet.
4) Once sago is cooked, remove the pandan leaves and drain well. Wash the cooked sago with cold tap water thoroughly to remove any excess starch.

5) In the mean time, whip your egg whites until soft peak, fold half of the egg whites into and mix well. This will help bind the sago and keep them separated.

6) Grease ramekins with vegetable oil with a pastry brush and place sago into each individual ramekin. Cover with cling wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for 1-2 hours.

7) To make the Gula Melaka sugar syrup, shave the sugar with a knife and place into a saucepan with a tablespoon of water. Place over medium heat and melt gently, be careful not to burn it, you may need to add more water to dilute it :)

8) Warm the coconut milk in another saucepan and heat it over low heat until it simmers. If you find it too thick, you may need to add some cows milk to make it pouring cream consistency. Leave to cool and chill in the refrigerator.

9) To serve, turn the sago pudding from the ramekin into a bowl. Pour a general amount of coconut milk and then drizzle a tablespoon or two or like me THREE tablespoons :D

I am so so so happy :) I never thought I’d be able to make this dessert at home hehe woo hoo so happy still have 2 in the fridge can’t wait to eat them ALL but… I’ve finished all of the Gula Melaka syrup… need to remake it WAKAKKAA!

Tagged: , , ,

49 thoughts on “Alphabakes – Sago (Gula Melaka) Pudding

1. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals September 26, 2012 at 11:27 pm Reply

Hi Daisy! I have never had this dessert before, though I love anything with pandan leaf fragrance, bet this is just delicious!

Isn’t it wonderful when you figure out how to make something that you thought would be difficult to recreate at home? I remember when Nami from Just One Cookbook shared her agidashi tofu, I was so thrilled and amazed that I can make them, and not have to spend 5 dollars for 4 small piece at a restaurant anymore. Great post!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:35 pm Reply

Hi Jeno :) It’s definitely a wonderful feeling when you learn how to make something you thought was difficult and expensive to make hehe but now we can make it at home ~ its definitely cheaper more often healthier because we know exactly what we’re putting into them ~

If you haven’t tried this sago pudding before you’ve gotta try it soon! It’s SUPER DELICIOUS :) Trust me hehe xox

2. myfoodgasmjournalblog September 27, 2012 at 1:49 am Reply

Whoaaa I love sago! I usually have it with taro, so this recipe is definitely on my to-try list. I also love gula melaka, smells so good and different than the kind of gula that we have. I remembered visiting KL, we shopped around the market looking for gula melaka…as souvenirs, lol.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reply

I know which one you’re talking about taro and sago hehe it’s my favourite too but i’ve never cooked with taro so I’m a bit worried hehe ~ HAHHAA that’s so funny that bought gula melaka for souvenirs hehe are there different types of it? :D

• myfoodgasmjournalblog September 28, 2012 at 10:22 am Reply

I’m with you – I’m afraid it will taste weird if I cook it, but don’t mind eating out, hahaha. Per my friend, that tastes different. I guess the smells and sweetness.

3. Hannah September 27, 2012 at 2:10 am Reply

Aaaaah, I adore this dessert! I’ve only really made lemon sago pudding before, though, as I’ve struggled to find pandan. But one day!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm Reply

Ohhh lemon and sago? I’ve never heard of that wanna try! Do you have a recipe? I bought them at an Asian grocery hopefully you’ll be able to find it when you come back or definitely in the US :D

4. Choc Chip Uru September 27, 2012 at 5:14 am Reply

Mmmm you could call me a sago junkie ;)
    Can’t wait to try this decadent excuse of a dessert!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:38 pm Reply

Ohhh I didn’t know you were a sago junkie hehe that’s kinda cute ~ i’m not usually a fan but when it’s in a dessert with gula melaka it’s my favourite ~ hehe

5. hotlyspiced September 27, 2012 at 7:49 am Reply

That’s a great looking dessert, Daisy. And I love the list of ingredients. I have that dark brown palm sugar and I actually used it with sago – but I didn’t use pandan leaves! Sago is so cheap too. I’ll have to try this xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:40 pm Reply

Thank you Charlie :) This is definitely a cheap dessert hahaha it only cost me $8 to make 6 hehe and i still have gula melaka left ~ ohh what did you make last time with the dark palm sugar? I’m addicted to it!

6. theragingcook September 27, 2012 at 8:19 am Reply

Beautiful, absolutely bwautiful Daisy! Hahaha I prefer to mix the pearls with fruit curd or coulis myself rather than say coconut as I feel a bit funny after having coconut based desserts. Just like the gula melaka I saw on TV show (Food Safari on SBS)

7. Catherine September 27, 2012 at 9:28 am Reply

Aw yum, I love sago pudding! Amazing effort! I can’t believe you do so much baking on weekdays haha I just jump into bed and zone out

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm Reply

Thank you Catherine :) I’m so glad it turned out so well! I was super worried when I first started hehe ~ I don’t sleep much maybe that’s why I’m always so irritable hahaa and then I need to eat more sugar to make it all better :P

8. Iron Chef Shellie September 27, 2012 at 11:11 am Reply

I’ve had this dish! The one she made for the blog post :P I can vouch for it’s awesomeness :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm Reply

You’re super lucky to have tried the ‘real deal’ Shellie :D hehe super jealous! So glad Ms I-Hua shared the recipe ~

9. Zoe September 27, 2012 at 1:12 pm Reply

You have made these sago puddings very well. I always remember eating these puddings when I was little.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reply

Thank you Zoe :) I’ve always been meaning to make this sago pudding at home but I’m always scared of trying out new recipes and cooking with ingredients that I’m not familiar with!

10. Vien September 27, 2012 at 1:28 pm Reply

Anything with pandan and gula melaka is my fave!!!!!!!!! :D though, I have to admit that I don’t like sago! :S but your sago pudding looks amazing!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm Reply

Hahhaa *high five* Vien :P I’m actually not a fan of sago either! BUT the only time that I really like it is when it’s SAGO PUDDING hehe i’m totally in love with gula melaka any other suggestions how i can use the dark palm sugar?

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 27, 2012 at 2:10 pm Reply

I feel your excitement. When I made straweberry mochi, I never thought I’d make it either! :D Now I don’t have to crave for that from Japanese sweets store every spring. I love sago and I still have some left in my pantry. I still haven’t found pandan leaves yet and try to locate that in my Asian market… Looks delicious!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm Reply

It’s definitely exciting Nami to be able to make things at home and not have to pay others to do it for you and also be able to make it whenever you want them :D WOO HOO! Ohhh i wasn’t sure where I’d be able to find pandan leaves too but then I just asked one of the ladies at the Asian groceries and she said that they were in the fridge ~ hope you find pandan leaves soon :)

12. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) September 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm Reply

You’re such a dedicated person! No wonder everything you made always look so perfect, and this sago pudding is no exception!! Loved reading your restaurant reviews, but your cooking entries are just as interesting, always with great details and enthusiasm :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm Reply

Thank you Jane :) It’s very exciting to participate each month in Alphabakes hehe :) I really like it because it gets me to think out of the box and try using ingredients i’ve never used before!
      I’m such a beginner in the kitchen, and find set by step photos to really help that’s why I try and put in a lot of details, hope more advanced cooks won’t find them too long ~

13. Ames September 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm Reply

I absolutely LOVE sago!! This looks really good, Daisy! You are most definitely the queen of Western desserts and Asian ones now :D I don’t think I’m brave enough to try this yet but if I ever do, I will have this bookmarked ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 28, 2012 at 1:40 pm Reply

Oh you are too sweet Ames :) I’m no queen of making any desserts ~ I’m really just learning myself and most things that I make, I’ve only made for the first time :) Still have so much to learn hehe ~ I know what you mean about not being brave enough ~ I was just like you too! I was so worried about using pandan leaves, cooking the sago and the lot.

But i just thought I’ll give it a shot and if it doesn’t work :P I wont blog about it and no one will know hahaha so glad it turned out okay! Do give it a shot when you have time as long as you follow the recipe you’ll be fine :D Trust me ~

14. Caroline September 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm Reply

Aww, thanks – glad you appreciate the work we put into Alphabakes – but it would be nothing without people like you who participate! This is a dessert I’ve never come across before so it’s always nice to see something new and it looks really tasty!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm Reply

Definitely appreciate everything that you do Caroline and Ros :) I know from experience how hard it is to work full time and also have a blog and also take on additional responsibilities. Glad you liked this recipe :D

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm Reply

This is one of my favourite desserts! Love the soft sago and the sweetness and creaminess of the gula melaka and coconut milk! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm Reply

Me too Lorraine :) it’s soooooo delicious and the gula melaka is just so amazing it has this distinct sweetness!

16. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) September 28, 2012 at 1:08 am Reply

Awesome job on this dessert — I love discovering that I can make my favorites at home! I’m sure your homemade version was much more delicious than it would be if you ordered it out!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm Reply

Thank you Faith :) it’s definitely exciting to be able to make something that you never thought you could and also an added bonus when they are a favourite hehe :)

17. Nic@diningwithastud September 28, 2012 at 11:55 am Reply

I love sago :) these look great!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 28, 2012 at 1:43 pm Reply

Thanks Nic :) Its the first time I’ve cooked with sago so glad they weren’t overcooked and lumpy :P

18. catty September 28, 2012 at 7:04 pm Reply

I love this dessert and it’s so easy to make! One of my favourites :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:17 am Reply

YAY! Another Sago pudding lover :) I think i’m gonna remake it soon hehe ~

19. Ali September 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm Reply

I’ve never had sago before :( This pudding looks great, and I’m going to have to add it to my list of foods to try asap!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:18 am Reply

Sago is a very Asian ingredient for desserts :) But definitely try this recipe it’s so delicious and quite easy to make hehe ~

20. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice September 28, 2012 at 9:40 pm Reply

Oh! All these years I have loved sago and… embarrassingly… never really knew where it came from. Now I do! I rarely make things like this at home. You’ve inspired me to try.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:21 am Reply

Hhahaa don’t worry Yas! I didn’t know what sago were until i googled it :) and still find it weird that they are found in trees? HAHAHA

21. Christine (@cookingcrusade) September 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm Reply

I love Asian desserts and this looks like it’s right up my alley – great looking recipe Daisy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:29 am Reply

I’m actually hehe not the biggest fan of Asian desserts :) But this is definitely one of my favourite!

22. Joanna September 29, 2012 at 7:18 pm Reply

Dear Daisy:
    What a coincidence!
    Last Saturday I also made this for dessert after dinner with friends.
    But since today read your recipe, now I know the “egg white”
    can help separated the sago.
    good tips!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:30 am Reply

Hello Joanna :) That really is a coincidence for you to make the same dessert ~ it’s just so simply and lovely isn’t it? hehe ~ I didn’t know about the egg white until I tried either, so definitely try it out next time you make it again ~ it really makes a difference hehe

23. liannelow September 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm Reply

yummm! I love gula melaka! hehe I could have it in most of the asian desserts! hehe This looks awesome babe! Now im craving for some! (: x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 1, 2012 at 10:31 am Reply

Me too :) totally loving gula melaka hehe could put it in everything like you said! I’m gonna go get some more soon hehe

24. Maria September 30, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reply

I wish I could get all these ingredients here where I live!! Especially the palm sugar…but I have to settle with looking at your photograph or maybe visit Malaysia…:)

25. Mich - Piece of Cake October 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm Reply

This is definitely a favourite of mine and I don’t eat it often enough, but whenever I see it, I’ve gotta have it.

26. […] because I enjoy writing every single post, but one of my favourite posts would be the recipe of the Sago Pudding I made last year. It’s my sister’s favourite Malaysian dessert and we’ve always wanted to […]