Sunday Bliss – Sweet Crumble

I just realised I have been posting more and more recipes on my blog and the recipe page is slowly growing in size  ~ but I think it’s time to do a review and not any review ~  a review of a newish bakery I found in Malvern – Sweet Crumble.

Sweet Crumble opened up in March this year and since finding out about it, I have been meaning to visit…but never got around to it~  so finally on Sunday, Mr Bao and I had brunch at home then slowly made our way there. I was really interested to find out from an Instagrammer  that some of their cupcakes were kosher dairy free so good for those who are dairy intolerant or vegan :)

We were so lucky that we found parking right across Sweet Crumble on the usually busy Glenferrie road. I immediately smiled seeing the sign ‘Sweet Crumble’ it reminds me so much of Magnolia Bakery in NYC ~Then when I walked it, I was totally grinning from ear to ear, because I knew it was going to be a blissful afternoon  ~ it’s so pretty inside, with vintage chairs, tables and all the glass jars filled with cookies and lollies.

Then we were confronted by this huge cabinet full of cupcakes, macarons, cookies, biscotti, cakes and more. I had to stand in front of it for a good minute absorbing everything that was in front of me before I could decide hahaha Mr Bao didn’t care what we ordered, he just wanted a Chai Latte Iced Frappe and that was it ~ gosh I love eating out with this guy hahaha he lets me choose everything :P

Red velvet cupcake dairy free $3.5AUD

Even though there were lots of different cupcakes, I immediately knew I wanted to try the red velvet cupcake ~ just like my mocha, I always get that at cupcake bakeries to me it’s like the benchmark if their red velvets are good, the other cupcakes are usually good too hehe. The had the normal sized cupcake or the smaller size but not exactly mini which was a dollar cheaper, it may shock you but I actually chose the smaller cupcake :P so then I could order more desserts and try other things hehe ~ Unfortunately, though neither of us liked the red velvet cupcake here at Sweet Crumble, the cake itself was a little dry and too dense. But the most disappointing would have to be the frosting, because this is a dairy free red velvet, it wasn’t the traditional cream cheesecheese frosting, instead it was a sweet yet slightly rubbery icing, I think they must have used vegetable shortening to imitate the butter cream texture.

Macarons $2.5AUD each (Left coconut, right espresso)

Next up was the macarons ~ they had quite a few flavours, if I could I would order them all hehe :P but we had a dinner date that night, so we had to control. I wanted something out of the ordinary so I chose the coconut and Mr Bao needed a coffee-fix and ordered the espresso flavour. Starting with the coconut macaron it had a nice shell but was slightly crunchy but it tasted lovely, with a strong hit of coconut yummmmm. Then Mr Bao’s espresso flavoured macaron was just as good with a genuine coffee flavour and not that artificial flavouring.

Passion fruit cheesecake with salted caramel $6.5 AUD

You didn’t think I’d be done right hahaha so I went back and ordered a passion fruit cheesecake with salted caramel base, Mr Bao loved this cheesecake, saying it was smooth and velvety. I really liked it to, but did think the passion fruit was a little too sour and tangy compared to the cheesecake ~ but still very delicious!

Chai Latte Frappe $6AUD

Mr Bao was really intrigued by the flavour hehe ~ he really liked it describing it as refreshing with a light chai flaovur and very milky, I had a sip and thought it was quite nice too but the flavours weren’t very strong and think it would’ve been better if there was less milk hehe

Toffee Caramel Frappe $6AUD

I’ve always liked caramel but lately, I can’t get enough of it hehe ~ just like Mr Bao’s Chai Latte, flavours were subtle and tasted very much like plain milk with hints of caramel ~ it was definitely refreshing especially after eating some desserts, but being a sugar freak hehe I think it needed to be sweeter hehe

Peppermint Tea $3.5AUD

I think Mr Bao had too much dessert ~ and needed to order a peppermint tea to refresh his palate hahaha :P the tea bags are actually from Henry London, which I have heard of, however, haven’t had the chance to try their teas. It was refreshing with a strong peppermint flavour, but think we are use to and prefer T2′s tea instead.

Sweet Crumble also sells and stocks a range of goodies ~ such as their homemade honeycomb, biscotti, cookies and also mini Bonne Maman jam jars ~ they are sooooooooooo SUPER cute I couldn’t help but get them hehe ~ the honeycomb is so delicious! Crunchy, sweet and just yum :D

Mr Bao and I sure had a blissful afternoon here at Sweet Crumble ~ There were some hit and misses, but as a whole it’s a definitely a great place to have afternoon tea with friends or grab desserts. A great addition to the dessert scene in Melbourne hehe hope you all have a blissful weekend too :)

Sweet Crumble on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

51 thoughts on “Sunday Bliss – Sweet Crumble

1. theragingcook September 23, 2012 at 12:32 pm Reply

lol you sugarvores! More sweets, haha will be making sonething similar to the passionfruit cheesecake soon now that I have a cylindrical cake shaper :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm Reply

Hahhaa you should know by now I love my sweets hehe ~ ohhh you bought a cylindrical cake shaper? Nice what size is it? Remember to share your recipe!

2. Choc Chip Uru September 23, 2012 at 1:16 pm Reply

Wow we need to go out for sugar one day no joke ;)
    What an incredible spread!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm Reply

Definitely need to Uru :) Can’t wait till you come visit us in Melbourne hehe ~

3. myfoodgasmjournalblog September 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm Reply

Magnolia – that’s exactly my first impression when i saw the first picture. Looks very clean, white, and literally heavenly sweet. The coconut macaron looks interesting, but I’d pick passion fruit cheesecake if I were there. Looks so delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm Reply

Definitely reminds me of Magnolia too ~ very similar indeed! Even the logo hehe :) The coconut macaron was nice, but agree the cheesecake is better ~

4. Jeno September 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm Reply

I know what you mean about the red velvet cake being the bench mark. When we visit a new Italian restaurant, I always order spaghetti, it’s very rare when a place gets it right, so when the restaurant does, we become regular customers!

I am so envious of all the wonderful dessert shops at Australia, Houston has some catching up to do!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm Reply

Hahahah i love it how we all have our own bench marks hehe :) for me it’s red velvet and for you it’s spaghetti hehe when I go have high tea, my bench mark are scones and how well they do them hehe

I’m sure you have some amazing bakeries and dessert parlours in Houston :D maybe you haven’t gone searching for them? And even not in Houston there are SO many in the States!!! :D

5. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. September 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm Reply

One thing I love about reading blog posts is that I find out so much more about the city we live in! I have not heard of this place but it sounds like a great place to have afternoon tea!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reply

Me too Winnie :) I love reading people’s blog to find out those new places and smaller cafes that aren’t as well known hehe I don’t really like waiting so going to these cafes are nice on the weekend :D

6. gtasoz September 23, 2012 at 5:53 pm Reply

That is on the upper scale of YUM – the window pic looks like 15 mins of observe, select and anticipate (drool) time! Thanks once again for a good read.

7. Ames September 23, 2012 at 6:06 pm Reply

Aww this looks like such a cute place! Love the font of the sign and from there on, it was just love love love love :D Malvern doesn’t sound too far so this is on the to-visit-list after exams ;). Thanks for sharing, Daisy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm Reply

It’s definitely a cute place Ames :) you should check it out when you’re in the area and Glick’s bakery is around the corner too ~ they have AMAZING bagels hehe

8. thehungerpangs September 23, 2012 at 8:09 pm Reply

I work around the corner from here :) But I’ve only ever been in once or twice to pick up a hot chocolate on the way to work because there are a million other great cafes around! Will make an effort to, though, especially for that that passionfruit cheesecake! Yum! :) x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 8:37 pm Reply

Definitely come back and try some of their other goodies I didnt like the cupcake so maybe skip that :) but the cheesecake was good ~

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm Reply

What a lovely way to spend an afternoon. I wonder why so many places find it hard to do a red velvet cake? I suppose they were trying to make it dairy free which is a real challenge (especially with delicious cream cheese frosting!).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 8:36 pm Reply

I don’t really understand either Lorraine >_< but I guess the dairy free part does make it harder and itself me without cream cheese its not a red velvet cupcake ~

10. Iron Chef Shellie September 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm Reply

This is right near my work :) I love the look of Sweet Crumble, but we tried a selection of their macarons and they weren’t good. I’m really not keen to go back after it…. but with most places in the area, it’s over priced and people just like to be seen eating out.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 8:35 pm Reply

I guessed it was where you worked! Cuz you said something about Browns bakery hehe :)

I can relate and know what you mean by the macarons weren’t great but I thought they were good compared to some other places I ve tried hehe ~ and it is over priced but hehe I m still a sucker for the ambience! Lol

11. hotlyspiced September 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm Reply

Oh dear. There is so much hear I would love to try. I can see I would do much damage in a store such as this. What wonderful looking creations and there’s so much variety. I think it’s great that they are catering to people who are vegan or who have allergies xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 23, 2012 at 11:20 pm Reply

I did a lot of damage here Charlie :) I was only supposed to have a quick and small afternoon tea before our massive dinner ~ but nope….we definitely ordered more than i anticipated hehe

I definitely agree it’s nice of Sweet Crumble to have dairy-free products as I know quite a few people who have intolerances >_<

12. leaf (the indolent cook) September 24, 2012 at 12:04 am Reply

Such an adorable looking cafe, I love the sofas! Looks very comfy and cute.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 24, 2012 at 11:44 am Reply

Super nice place hehe :) how much I wish my place was just as nice hehe ~

13. Hannah September 24, 2012 at 2:06 am Reply

Tangy tangy cheesecake sounds perfect to me!! Though yesterday I did eat a chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick, which was pretty magnificent…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 24, 2012 at 11:52 am Reply

Ohhhhh Chocolate covered cheesecake on a STICK?! Now we’re talking hehe :)

14. Alex September 24, 2012 at 6:41 am Reply

What a beautiful place!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 24, 2012 at 11:57 am Reply

Very pretty indeed :) how much I wish my own place was this pretty hehe never gonna happen though! Thanks for dropping by my blog!

15. gourmetgetaway September 24, 2012 at 8:57 am Reply

Wha a cute cute place! I love it, it’s so pretty and perfect, all the food looks so delicious too! I love cages with comfy lounges! Great story!
    …oh, and I agree, red velvet cake needs cream cheese!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 24, 2012 at 11:59 am Reply

It was so pretty inside :) I’m not sure if you have this store in Coffs but there’s a furniture store called Provincial in Melbourne and it’s just like Sweet Crumble, with all the vintage furniture hehe ~ sighh I’m still slightly sad about the red velvet without the cream cheese just doesn’t taste right sigh :(

16. Catherine September 24, 2012 at 10:31 am Reply

A true dessert addict knows it’s smartest to get small servings for larger quantities tasted!! No cream cheese on a red velvet cupcake is a sin!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 24, 2012 at 12:07 pm Reply

Hahhaha definitely :) i don’t mind having smaller bites of everything as long as I get to try it all WOO HOO ~ i don’t think i’m ready to try anymore vegan diary free red velvet cupcakes anytime soon :P

17. Nic@diningwithastud September 24, 2012 at 11:13 am Reply

I use red velvet as a baseline too :) HAHA! What a shame

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reply

Hhahaha i’ve only just realised i’m not the only one who uses a red velvet as a bench mark woo hoo that’s good :D I thought i was weird hehe

18. Kiran September 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm Reply

I could just sip peppermint tea and gobble on macarons all day long. Seriously :D

19. Ming @ sweetandsourfork September 24, 2012 at 2:41 pm Reply

Aww this place is so cute! Quite reasonably priced too :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 25, 2012 at 10:39 am Reply

I think so too :) hope you come here for afternoon tea soon ~

20. catty September 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm Reply

That looks really good but omg how much frosting is on your red velvet cupcake??? hahaha looks great tho :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 25, 2012 at 10:39 am Reply

Hhahaaha there was a HEAP of frosting but unfortunately, it wasn’t very nice, I think it’s because it wasn’t cream cheese frosting :(

21. Ali September 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm Reply

That place looks so cute! And, the food delicious! What a great place to spend a couple of hours!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 25, 2012 at 10:40 am Reply

Super cute :) and so comfortable hehe i’m just totally in love with the decor!

22. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice September 24, 2012 at 10:26 pm Reply

Oh, I do love learning of a bakery closeby, and Malvern is in that category! Too bad about the red velvet. It’s one of my favorite flavors too, and I’m not scared to mention I make a mean one myself :) I like the little takeaway bits and bobs, too, how cute.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 25, 2012 at 9:30 am Reply

Oh no don’t be scared Yasmeen! It’s actually not that hard to make :) I’ve made it a couple of times and it’s quite easy, i think making the cream cheese frosting is harder, lol mine’s either too sweet for my friends or too hard hehe :P

23. winstonthehungryexcavator September 25, 2012 at 12:52 am Reply

Owhhh…! So many great choices here. Not so much of a chocolate fan (please don’t hate me, Daisy!!!) but I do LOVE my cheesecakes. Though, not the dense NY types of cheesecake. More of the light, creamy ones. Too bad the passionfruit wasn’t tangy enough but still sounds like something I’d enjoy very much. Good on ya for shedding light on more dessert places. You sure know your stuff lol!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 25, 2012 at 9:28 am Reply

Hey Winston :) hahaha it’s okay I wont hurt you simply because you don’t like chocolate :P do you not like chocolate or do you not like the sweet milk chocolate? Because I find a lot of people who do not like chocolate often like dark chocolate hehe ~

Oh what a shame that you don’t like NY cheesecakes cuz it’s my favourite hehe but I know what you mean by it can be quite dense :) You must love love love Japanese cheesecakes then because they are super light and moist ~

I love discovering new dessert places and sharing it with everyone :D

24. MoMo and Coco Dessert Correspondents September 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm Reply

Wow! You seem to indulge your sweet tooth a LOT more than us…which is probably saying something! We have been here twice earlier in the year, and although the set-up is very pretty, we weren’t much taken by the cupcakes or the macarons. We probably should go back and sample the other things there, but our first two visits were pretty underwhelming.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 25, 2012 at 3:18 pm Reply

Hi Momo and Coco, I agree with you that the desserts at Sweet Crumble isn’t fantastic :) and there are definitely better places ~ but I think it’s nice to have a new place to go with girlfriends on a Sunday afternoon and just sit, chat and eat :)

25. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake September 25, 2012 at 9:56 pm Reply

Love it when you find new sweets places, the drink looks quite interesting and love the looks of the cupcakes and macarons! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 26, 2012 at 7:39 pm Reply

I’m always on the hunt for new dessert places hehe :) Super happy ~ hope you try sometime soon hehe!

26. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm Reply

Ohhh they sell my favorite jams! Toffee Caramel Frappe sounds so good. Because of my weight gain (from blogging – ugh!), I have been avoiding those DELICIOUS sugary drinks. My throat got so dry looking at the frappe… yum. If it’s in front of me, I’ll stop my dieting just for that drink! This is a cute place!