Happy Birthday – My Dearest Sister :)

August, September and October are the busiest months in the year for me! People that are most important to me, all have their birthdays in these months, and today it is my Dearest Sister Win Win’s birthday :D I’m not gonna disclose her age, because I know she’ll hurt me :P As a matter of fact, I don’t think she even wants me to upload a picture of her but TOO BAD, my blog, my rules!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WIN WIN!
You are the ROCK in my life, the one that never leaves, always supports me through the pretty, ugly and fatty times ~ I am so grateful to have grown up with you, shared tears and laughter and last but not least lots of delicious and yummy DESSERTS!
I hope the Police (her husband) will spoil you rotten today and Aden will give you lots of hugs and kisses!

I think it’s become my tradition to make virtual cakes and send them to my friends and family in HK :) so today, I’m making Nigella Lawson’s Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake! It’s a brand new recipe from her new book Nigelissma, that I bought last week. As soon as I picked up the book and flipped through it, I knew I had to make this recipe :)

Win Win loves cheesecake and I’m pretty sure she likes Nutella too so this would be a great cake for her ~ I would describe it as New York Cheesecake with Nutella :) that’s how rich and yummy this cheesecake is hehe and best part it’s SO SO SO easy to make! It’s no bake and only uses 60 grams of icing sugar for sweetness hehe really hope Win Win will like this cake ~

Recipe – Chocolate Hazelnut Cheesecake adapted from Nigella Lawson

Yield - 22 or 23 cm spring form cake or serves 8 to 12

Ingredients
250 grams Digestive Biscuits
75grams Unsalted butter, soften
1 x 400 gram Nutella or other similar hazelnut chocolate spreads, at room temperature
100 grams Toasted hazelnuts, chopped
500 grams, cream cheese, at room temperature
60 grams, Icing sugar sifted

Method
1) Break the digestive biscuits into the bowl of a food processor, then add the butter and 1x 15ml of Nutella and blitz until the mixture starts to clump. Add 25 grams of toasted hazelnut, pulse until you have a damp, sandy mixture OR do it all manually, crush the biscuits in a ziploc bag and a rolling pin, melt the butter and stir in Nutella and eventually hazelnuts :) I couldn’t find my food processor :P

2) Tip this into your spring form tin and press into the base, using either your hands or the back of the spoon. Place in the refrigerator to chill while you make the filling.

3) Beat together the cream cheese and the icing sugar until smooth and silk, then scrape the rest of the Nutella out of its jar and into the cream cheese mixture and continue beating until well combined. You may need to scrape the bowl a couple of times.

4) Take the spring form tin out of the fridge. Carefully scrape and smooth the Nutella mixture over the biscuit base and scatter the remaining chopped hazelnuts on top to cover. Place the tin in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.

5) To serve, remove from the fridge, and unspring the cake from the tin, still on the base, just before you eat it.

Notes
Nigella emphasises that the cream cheese and Nutella must be room temperature for this recipe to work, which makes sense, because this is a no-bake cheesecake recipe and because you need to make sure both ingredients are mixed and incorporated well :)
- I halved the recipe to make two mini 6 inch cakes ~ Perfect for Mr Bao and myself, one each no need to fight :P
- Make sure you chill it well before eating!

There you go Sis! Hope you like this Nutella Cheesecake :) Love you always xox

Tagged: , , , , , ,

58 thoughts on “Happy Birthday – My Dearest Sister :)

1. andy1076 September 18, 2012 at 12:22 am Reply

Happy birthday to your sister! happy hello to super sweet Daisy! :)

2. spicegirlfla September 18, 2012 at 12:58 am Reply

OMG now this is a birthday cake!! I always want to offer the birthday person a deliciously rich cake for their bday because after all it’ their day!! This one will definitely be made for the next lucky bday!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm Reply

Hello Thanks for dropping by :) It was super easy to make and I agree with you, I always feel inclined to bake and give the birthday person a birthday cake :D

3. kellysiew September 18, 2012 at 1:25 am Reply

Happy Birthday to Win Win! Nutella cheesecake sounds fantastic! Isn’t virtual cake a little cruel in that they only get to see and you get to eat?? hehehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:02 pm Reply

Thank you Kelly :) Sis told me to thank everyone hehe ~ That’s definitely the worse, that they can’t eat it but hey at least i get to eat it! HAHHA

4. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals September 18, 2012 at 2:02 am Reply

So sweet of you to bake Win Win a virtual cake, I just love no bake desserts! Love that you made mini ones so there’s no fighting with Mr. Bao, hilarious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm Reply

Thank you Jeno :) Its a shame that Win Win didn’t get to try it though hehe you should try this recipe super easy to make and yummy to eat! LOL it’s true we don’t need to fight over who ate a large piece yay ~

5. Norma Chang September 18, 2012 at 3:03 am Reply

Happy Birthday Win Win. Many hapy returns.

6. Choc Chip Uru September 18, 2012 at 4:19 am Reply

What a wonderfully sweet post my friend, happy birthday to your obviously awesome sis :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:05 pm Reply

Thank you Uru :) Too bad she can’t eat the cake but lol at least she can imagine it while i literally EAT IT :P

7. Ali September 18, 2012 at 6:57 am Reply

Happy birthday to your sister! This cake looks awesome….a perfect virtual cake :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm Reply

Thank you Ali :) So glad the cake turned out better than i expected hehe i can’t wait to devour it tonight hehe ~

8. theragingcook September 18, 2012 at 8:10 am Reply

Happy birthday to your sis!!! Wow, the cake sounds very very rich!!! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:09 pm Reply

Thank you :) You should try this recipe! It doesn’t require the use of an oven :) Super easy and yum hehe

9. vegeTARAian September 18, 2012 at 8:41 am Reply

Happy birthday sis! That cake looks a-ma-zing!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:11 pm Reply

Thank you Tara :) I’m super happy that the cake turned out better hehe ~ hope you try it out soon!

10. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. September 18, 2012 at 9:31 am Reply

Aww, you guys are so sweet! Having a sister to grow up with is the best! That cheesecake looks super delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm Reply

Thank you Winnie :) it’s definitely nice to have a sister and be able to grow up with ~ but we haven’t actually ‘lived’ with each other for a long time sigh :( she’s lived in HK for so many years now….I bet your kiddies will love this cake too ~

11. Hannah September 18, 2012 at 9:33 am Reply

Aw, yay sibling love! Happy birthday to your sister!

12. Catherine September 18, 2012 at 9:58 am Reply

Happy Birthday to your sister again! “Here’s your birthday cake but you can’t have any” haha! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm Reply

Thank you Catherine :) Hahaha yup basically she wont get to eat it but I DO and I’m so HAPPY about that :P

13. Christine (@cookingcrusade) September 18, 2012 at 11:02 am Reply

Happy birthday to your sister!!! Love that pic of you too – super cute. I’m soooo dying to get a copy of Nigella’s new book. Love seeing a lil preview of it and this recipe looks scrrumptious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:14 pm Reply

Thank you Christine :) i couldn’t think of a better photo to use hehe ~ you have to go get the book ASAP! Especially since it’s on sale at Dymocks right now :)

14. Kristi @ My San Francisco Kitchen September 18, 2012 at 11:28 am Reply

I totally know what you mean about virtual cakes!! I thought I was the only one who did that :p its hard having family and friends far away, but baking for them makes it a little better (even though they can’t enjoy it! :()

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:15 pm Reply

Hello Kristi :) thanks for dropping by my blog! Sigghh it’s definitely hard to have family overseas, and not being able to share the cakes you make for them :( where are your family? Mines all in HK ~ but hey at least I get cake hahaha not complaining about that cuz i’m one greedy little piglet *oink oink* HAHHAHAA

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 18, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply

Daisy, you two are cute sisters! I always wanted to have a sister because even when you grow up you stay close to each other. Happy Birthday to your sister!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm Reply

Thank you Nami :) we obviously have our fights and things but it’s nice to have a sister, we share most things and are very similar in so many ways!

16. Kiran September 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm Reply

Cute sisters! And what a delicious way to celebrate! Happy B’day to your sister :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:17 pm Reply

Hi Kiran :) Thank you for dropping by my blog! I’m so happy that this cake turned out so well hehe ~ hope you try and make it sooN!

17. hotlyspiced September 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm Reply

I love the look of this nutella cheesecake. This must have wonderful flavour. And happy birthday to your sister – it’s great to go through life with someone so close to you and be able to share all the highs and lows xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 2:18 pm Reply

Thank you Charlie :) i think you should make it soon hehe it’s super easy and so delicious! Seriously like a new york cheesecake with HEAPS of nutella!!! YUM! I am so lucky and grateful to have my sister ~ even though we fight hahaha xoxo

18. Zoe September 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm Reply

Hi Daisy,

Happy Birthday to your sister!

I’m from Melbourne too and nice to know you through Choco chip uru. Now following you via Twitter and also Like you at Facebook :D

Zoe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 8:58 pm Reply

Hi Zoe :) thank you for your support! I have checked out your amazing blog before Great recipes you share ~ I will now also follow and like your page too hehe xoxo

19. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 18, 2012 at 7:06 pm Reply

Happy birthday to your sister Daisy!! And what a delicious looking cake! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 18, 2012 at 8:52 pm Reply

Thank you Lorraine :) i think she likes the cake hehe ~ super yummy hehe gonna have more of it tonight!

20. catty September 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm Reply

hahaha i also bake virtual cakes for friends overseas! then i have to eat it all lol – great excuse though, right???

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 20, 2012 at 8:30 am Reply

Hahhaa I agree :P I think eating it is the BEST part hahaha sometimes i get a bit sad when I make this amazing cake but can’t eat it because it’s for someone’s bday hahha

21. Tammy September 18, 2012 at 10:08 pm Reply

What a fabulous site! i just came from Uru’s site…fabulous guest post by the way!

A happy birthday to your sister…the cake looks irresistible!! Have a lovely day.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 20, 2012 at 8:58 am Reply

Hi Tammy :) Nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by! :) Glad you liked my guest post ~ and even though my sister wasn’t able to eat the cake, I know I sure enjoyed EATING IT hahaha

22. Tandy September 19, 2012 at 1:55 am Reply

What a lovely virtual gift!

23. Ames September 19, 2012 at 11:58 am Reply

Awww what a nice sister you are! I’d love to have someone bake me a virtual cake for my birthday too :P Love this recipe – such chocolatey goodness :).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 20, 2012 at 10:42 am Reply

Thanks Ames :) I try to make it up to her through virtual cakes hehe ~ you’ve gotta try this recipe super easy and yummy :D especially if you like Nutella like me!

24. Iron Chef Shellie September 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm Reply

Where there is nutella… I am there :P Happy birthday to your sisssy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 20, 2012 at 10:55 am Reply

Thank you Shellie :) I checked for you! They have Nutella at Costco now so you can go get some :D easy and delicious cheesecake hehe

25. libishski September 20, 2012 at 5:32 pm Reply

Happy birthday, Daisy’s sister! What a scrumptious birthday cake!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 21, 2012 at 11:01 am Reply

Thanks Libby :) I sure enjoyed eating the cake :P too bad she doesn’t get to eat it right? hehe

26. Christie @ Fig & Cherry September 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm Reply

Oh this cake looks lush! Happy bday to your sis – very cute pic of you two!! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 21, 2012 at 11:01 am Reply

Thank you Christie :) I couldn’t think of a better picture to put up hehe ~ hope you make it soon I’m sure Poppy will love it!

27. thehungerpangs September 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm Reply

Aw, bless you! Spoiling your sister with a virtual cake, haha. It looks fantastic, by the way. I love cheesecake! And nutella cheesecake to boot! YUM! :) x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 21, 2012 at 11:06 am Reply

Thank you :) I’m so happy it turned out so well hehe Nigella is the best! You’ve gotta try this recipe soon! It’s SUPER DUPER YUM and good :D

28. lisa lawless (@lisaiscooking) September 22, 2012 at 5:52 am Reply

What a nice cake for your sister! It looks delicious, and I love the hazelnuts on top.

29. penny aka jeroxie September 23, 2012 at 10:34 pm Reply

both of you are uber cute!!!