Cake Pop Master Class – Cupcake Central

Trends :) They are forever changing lol I remember a couple of years ago the ‘IT’ dessert was donuts and in particular Krispy Kremes, then we were hit by the cupcake fever (it hasn’t died down yet) and then macarons (still going strong) and most recently, cake pops! They’re everywhere! Wherever you go, there are cake pops making machines, cake pop decorating kits and cake pop books ~

I’m a newbie to cake pops, I didn’t really know what they were until I tried making the at home once a couple of months ago, which was a bit of a failure as they kept falling off the lollipop sticks :(

Even though, a couple of my cake pops survived the last time I made them, I haven’t tried remaking them at home. That’s why I was super excited and grateful when Sheryl (owner/creator) from Cupcake Central, invited me to her first ever Cake Pop Master Class ~ I am a huge fan of their cupcakes and have been meaning to attend one of their Masterclasses, but haven’t been able to find the time.

I was so glad Peach Water was going to be there and Ming (Sweet and Sour Fork), phew thank gosh I wasn’t the only one with my camera and taking a million photos hahaha the other girls there were lucky Cupcake Central fans who were invited ~

Sheryl starts the lesson by explaining to us what cake pops so basically they’re crushed and mushed up cake, rolled into balls then covered in chocolate and then decorated.

First step of making cake pops is to get some cake and CRUSH them :) I’m super jealous because Sheryl used her freshly baked and decorated chocolate peanut cupcakes as the cake pops, I guess if you’re making them at home, you’re gonna have to bake a cake or buy one ~

Squish squish squish ~ I actually think it’s quite therapeutic being able to ‘squeeze and mush’ the cupcakes like that :P

Once it’s all mushed up and forms a soft dough, Sheryl used an ice-cream scoop to make perfect size and round balls, placed them between your hands and roll them until them form uniform balls (size of golf balls or smaller).

Once you’ve made nice looking balls ~ you place them on a board or plate. A tip I got from Sheryl was to dip the lollipop sticks in a little bit of chocolate before poking them into the middle of the cakepops. This will help them set better and less likely to fall off later  when dipping them into warm chocolate. Place the whole tray in to the refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes to allow them  to harden.

Sheryl had already melted some milk chocolate for us in little bowls, and once we got the cake pops out of the refrigerator, she showed us how you dip the cake pops into the melted chocolate. It’s important to let the excess chocolate run off the cake pop before putting it onto the stand. If you don’t the excess chocolate will drizzle down the lollipop stick and won’t look very nice ~

It is at this stage you can let your imagination go wild and decorate the cake pops any way you want to :) and literally anything you want – silver glitter, tiny pieces of lolly, little hearts etc.

Sheryl even showed us how to make mini cupcake cake pops! Now I really want to get my hands on one of these cut cupcake moulds :) I think I can get them online hehe more online shopping for baking supplies YAY!

We were so lucky that Sheryl taught use how to make Hello Kitty cake pops ~ I already know a friend of mine Ms T To will love it! She’s a HUGE Hello Kitty fan ~

It’s very much the same process but of making the Hello Kitty cake pop, but it’s a little bit more fiddly ~ I’ll let Sheryl teach you if you are interested in learning how to make them :)

Uh oh someone took a bite ~ Hello Kitty’s missing an ear hehe :) I really think these are a crowd pleaser, maybe I’ll make them for my nieces birthday at the end of the year hehe ~

Peach Water was definitely the most creative, look at how pretty and innovative her cake pops were :) It’s hard to believe that it’s the first time she’s made them hehe ~ I’m really not that talented ~ I’ve never been actually hahaha maybe that’s why my cakes never look very good, need to work on my decorating skills!

But Sheryl did teach use to make something else and that was a little Honey Bee :D And even though it’s not as good as Sheryl’s hehe I’m pretty happy with it ~ and it was really easy to make, just needed some chocolate melts, a black edible pen and some melted chocolate ~

Once again thank you Cupcake Central for inviting me to their first cake pop lesson, I truly enjoyed the experience, Sheryl was so patient and friendly ~ and taught me all the basic skills I need to know to make successful cake pops at home ~ I’m excited about making them again at home and this time hopefully they wont fall off :) These are definitely great for parties because it’s so much easier to share than a large cake :)

If you would like more information about Cupcake Central’s masterclasses visit their website or contact Sheryl directly ~

Daisy@Nevertoosweet attended the cake pop masterclass as a guest of Cupcake Central

Tagged: , , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “Cake Pop Master Class – Cupcake Central

1. Christine (@cookingcrusade) September 10, 2012 at 4:55 pm Reply

What a fun looking class! I just love the Hello Kitty cake pop hehe :) So cute!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:00 pm Reply

Hello Christine :) it was so much fun ~ I’m definitely going to try making the Hello Kitty ones again hehe

2. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm Reply

They’re so cute! I remember seeing those Hello Kitty cupcakes on Bakerella and thinking that I would just sit and admire them and not be able to bite into one! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:03 pm Reply

Hahhahaa i’m too greedy :) even the prettiest things I will still pop them in my mouths and eat them wakakak so mean :P

3. hotlyspiced September 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm Reply

I love your bee! I’ve made cake pops before and mine were a disaster too. I think you definitely need to crush the cake and I didn’t do that so mine were too light and therefore fragile. That’s a great class. I should have been there! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm Reply

Next time when you come Charlie :) We should do this cake pop lesson again hehe ~ cake pops are definitely harder to make than it looks! xox

4. kellysiew September 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm Reply

You should check out http://www.bakerella.com/ for all her adorable cake pop creation. I think she’s responsible for creating the cake pop trend too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm Reply

I’ve checked out her blog before :) it’s pretty amazing and she definitely set the trend ~

5. Choc Chip Uru September 10, 2012 at 5:36 pm Reply

That just seems like too much of a fun and delicious time – poor hello kitties missing ears (more than 1 I assume) ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm Reply

Hhahaah i felt bad for Helly Kitty :P but eating cake pops are so much fun too hehe ~ have you tried making them Uru? They’re so easy to make :D

6. theragingcook September 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm Reply

Lol we got my friend just got a stash of cake pops recently for her bday… so this is the new trend eh? Macarons dying soon?? lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:06 pm Reply

Hahhaha I don’t think macarons are going to die out soon :) cake pops are amazing too hehe so easy to eat and so cute :D

7. Vien September 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm Reply

awwwww they’re so cute!!! :) hehe I would have a hard time eating them! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:08 pm Reply

LOL I’m such a cakepop murder :P I had no issues eating them WAKAKK i’m so mean

8. Ali September 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm Reply

What fun! Cake pops were very popular when I was in Nth America last year…Starbucks made some yummy ones ;) Have never tried to make them though, they sound quite complicated!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:14 pm Reply

Cake pops are definitely the ‘IT’ thing everywhere now hehe :) But wow I never knew Starbucks did them too ~ Sighhhh i miss the US & A :) wish I could go back soon!

9. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals September 11, 2012 at 12:20 am Reply

Daisy these cakepopr are adorable! The cupcake mold is hilarious, I hope you will get some real soon and show us your creations! It was strange to see Hello Kitty being eaten, and the inside was chocolate, not what I was expecting, haah!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reply

Hahahhaa i love the cupcake mold and once i get my hands on them :) i’ll definitely make them and show you hehe ~ you should make the Hello Kitty ones for your little princess I bet you she’ll LOVE THEM and you too hehe ~

10. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. September 11, 2012 at 12:37 am Reply

Those cake pops are so cute!!! I’m still very much with the macaron craze, I don’t think that will ever die down with me :) I have a round cake pop mould like that btw, I haven’t tried it yet, but if it works I will invest in the other shapes! (Yes I bought them online I’ll pass you the link if you like just DM me!)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm Reply

Hahhahaa I’m in the macaron phase too Winnie! But thing is cake pops are relatively EASIER to make than macarons hahaa i’m still scared of making them after a lesson and then making them at home the next day :P Ohhhh you bought them online too? I’ll DM you in a sec, cuz i’d love the link and I have a few more things that i’d love to buy hehe :D

11. allyoudoiseat September 11, 2012 at 10:03 am Reply

These are so cute! I LOVE the Hello Kitty ones!!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm Reply

I’m not really a fan of Hello Kitty :) but I like them too hehe :D

12. Catherine September 11, 2012 at 10:30 am Reply

Can I ask how you managed to get through the first cake pop without eating it straight after it was dipped in chocolate?? Haha especially love the cupcake one!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm Reply

Hahahaha I had to use a LOT of self control to not eat the cake pops while making them hehe :P the cupcake one is definitely my favourite!

13. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) September 11, 2012 at 10:47 am Reply

Oh, don’t know if it’s a trend over here in the UK yet, but cake pop definitely look like a lot of fun to make and to eat!
    Thanks for sharing and the tip, I will make them for my little friends when they come and visit me next time. I’ve no doubt that they will all like it !!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 11, 2012 at 4:32 pm Reply

Really I thought cake pops were taking the world by storm hehe :) it was definitely a lot of fun to make and of course eating is always the best bit hehe :D I’m sure your little friends will love it when you make it! I’ll share how to make the little yellow honey bee once I’ve succeeded at home :D xox

14. liannelow September 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm Reply

awww so so fun! (: Love to try making these again! hehe made these like a few years ago! you’re so lucky to be invited to such fun events! x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 12, 2012 at 12:33 pm Reply

Super lucky to have been invited :) And it’ll definitely help be make cake pops that wont fall off the stick anymore hahhaa :D

15. Ming @ sweetandsourfork September 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm Reply

Ahh great review, love your photos of the cupcake cake pops, and it was lovely to meet you and jan too :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 12, 2012 at 12:48 pm Reply

Definitely nice to meet you :) So flattering for you say you like my photos ~ since I had the tinest camera out of the 3 of us hehe

16. Baker Street (@bakerstreet29) September 11, 2012 at 11:46 pm Reply

What a fun class! The cake pops look adorable, Daisy! :)

17. Hannah September 12, 2012 at 2:14 am Reply

GLITTER GLITTER GLITTER GLITTER I would have covered every single pop in hundreds of layers of glitter wheeeeeee!!!

P.S. Honey to the B that’s you for me!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm Reply

HAHAHAA that’s a good idea GLITTER :) i’ve got some left over from last time I made something for Mr Bao so i might be a good chance to use it up :D

18. Ames September 12, 2012 at 7:22 am Reply

These are so cute! I love the idea of cake pops… now that I think of it, I actually got given some as a birthday gift 2 years ago so I think that friend of my was definitely on with the trend from a very early stage :D What a awesome class – would love to give it a try one time!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 12, 2012 at 1:36 pm Reply

Wow your friend is definitely a trend setter hehe :) I thought they were only a newish kinda trend hehe ~ it was amazing definitely recommend checking the classes out once Sheryl has released them :D

19. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) September 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm Reply

OMG, love your creations. I know who to call to do my birthday cake pops! cute!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 12, 2012 at 1:38 pm Reply

Hahhaa thanks Adrian :) Definitely happy to make you something for your birthday! But i’m not sure if they’ll look as nice without the help of Sheryl and her team!

20. cattynet September 12, 2012 at 3:00 pm Reply

Cake pops are so much fun to eat! I’ve made some once (it was.. ok) but I might have to try again :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm Reply

Definitely try making it again Cat :) they’re super fun to make and decorate hehe

21. penny aka jeroxie September 12, 2012 at 10:39 pm Reply

I do love cake pops and making them. Great tip. Will do that next time

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 13, 2012 at 8:18 pm Reply

No worries ;) enjoy making cakepops and let me know how you go hehe ~

22. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) September 13, 2012 at 12:30 am Reply

What a great tutorial! I especially love those adorable Hello Kitty pops! :)

23. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed September 14, 2012 at 11:43 am Reply

SO COOL! want to try these, have been watching some youtube videos of bakerella.
    Heidi xo

24. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake September 14, 2012 at 3:24 pm Reply

Yayyy cake pops are always so fun! :D I have a feeling I’ve met Sheryl before, she looks so familiar….maybe I went to uni with her or something. :P I’ve never tried making my own cakepops, but I need to do it for a friend’s wedding, so I might need to ask you some questions if I fail. ;)