Mixed Feelings – Red Cup Cafe

Even though there are many amazing cafes in Melbourne, , in Doncaster where we live in, there really aren’t many decent cafes, and the ones that are good are usually jam packed or close super early on the weekends *sigh*so it’s always hard to find of nice places to go for brunch when we don’t want to drive very far. That’s when I remembered seeing an Instagram pic of a Sticky Date Pudding Winnie (Eat Play Shop) posted of the Red Cup Cafe in Box Hill which is about a 20 minute drive ~

I’ve visited a few times and I know it doesn’t really have a great reputation on Urbanspoon as it is known for being ridiculously over-priced…I was surprised to find the food relatively pleasant especially the Sticky Date Pudding hehe :)

I went with Julz for our weekly brunch outing, since Mr Bao had to work ~ we got there at around 10:40am and it was already pretty full, however, still had a few empty tables. We quickly found parking and made our way to the front door, where we were greeted by a bubbly waitress. She was going to lead us into a table immediately, but was then pulled aside by her manager which instructed her that they were at their full kitchen capacity and was unable to serve any more customers. She was very professional and honest with us and said she wasn’t sure how long it was going take for us to get a table, and that we were welcome to sit outside and wait. I appreciated her honestly, and we decided to wait, it was only around a 10 minute wait before we were shown to our tables.

Mocha $4.80 AUD

Starting with coffees, got my mocha and I agree with other bloggers and customers that $4.70 for a coffee is ridiculous and it really wasn’t worth it because it was watery and bland and stickily sweet even for me as they used a lot of chocolate syrup to give it that chocolate flavour.

Latte $4.80 AUD

Julz ordered a latte, once again not worth it and we could probably find better coffee at other cafes nearby, so I wouldn’t come here for the coffees which is a shame, because it would’ve been a better cafe with more decent coffees.

Bubble and Squeak $18.50 AUD

INSERT PIC – Bubble and Squeak $18.50 AUD

They have a pretty standard menu and the last couple of times I’ve visited, I’ve actually liked their homemade muesli with yoghurt and green apples on the side, but felt like something different and that’s when the ‘Bubble and Squeak’ caught my eye, baked potato and pumpkin topped with spinach, poached egg and hollandaise sauce. Couldn’t ask for something better, I love pumpkin! I can eat it all year round, every day and for every meal :D then spinach is another one of my favourite and poached eggs well that’s what I always want when I go to have brunch hehe ~

Love seeing the yolk run out ~

The first layer of the dish was the potatoes and pumpkin all mushed up together and baked with lots of butter and pretty sure with some cheese too ~ simply delicious! Now I can’t wait to try and make this dish at home too :) The egg was also cookies nicely, but if I was to be picky it was a tiny wincy bit overcooked ~ the hollandaise sauce was nice but a little too thick.

Eggs Benedict $18.50 AUD

I think Eggs Benedict must have to be one of the most popular breakfast dishes :) So many of my friends order it when we go have brunch, especially Julz hehe but this Eggs Benny wasn’t really what we expected, on two thin but heavily buttered slices of sourdough lay two THICK chunky pieces of ham. I’m not even sure what type of ham it was, then it was topped with two poached eggs and a lot of hollandaise sauce. I had a bit to try and neither of us really liked the dish, the ham was simply too thick and didn’t match with the delicate poached eggs. This was definitely a bit of a disappointment.

Sticky Date Pudding$8.50 AUD

Okay…I’ll confess…I didn’t just come to Red Cup Cafe because it was close :P I came because of their Sticky Date Pudding hahaha and boy am I glad I came :) I’m a huge fan of Sticky Date pudding and starting to freak out that cafes and restaurants aren’t going to serve it anymore because it’s now spring hehe anyway back to the pudding, it had the lovely soft and tender pudding texture, a decent amount of dates and the butterscotch sauce wasn’t too sweet (not that it bothers me) or thick. And even though the other dishes may have been overpriced, this was not for $8.50 you get a very large piece of pudding *Grins* definitely the highlight of the whole meal! Highly recommend it for all those sticky date lovers out there ;)

Baked goodies

Overall, I have mixed feelings about Red Cup Cafe, on the one hand I do agree with other customers that it is quite overpriced compared to other cafes and not all their dishes are fantastic. But then if you consider the fact that it’s so close, it is a decent place for brunch and definitely Sticky Date pudding :P so if you live around the area and want to have some nice brunch food and don’t want to drive too far, I would give Red Cup Cafe a chance.

Red Cup Cafe on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

26 thoughts on “Mixed Feelings – Red Cup Cafe

1. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals September 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm Reply

Hey Daisy, I always enjoy reading your review of restaurants. Even though I am very far away, but seeing the photos and reading about your experience really does take me there! The pumpkin/potato dish is very interesting, I’ve never heard of it before, though imagine it’s very tasty. The Dates pudding? Another item I’ve not heard of, will have to give it a try when we finally make it to Australia!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:16 pm Reply

Hello Jeno :) i’m so glad that you enjoy reading my posts! I really hope my reviews aren’t too honest hehe ~ It’s funny even though we’re both living in English speaking countries but the food we eat is so different :) The Sticky Date pudding is a very common dessert coming from the UK and it’s everywhere in Australia hehe ~ I’m hoping to make it soon and once I do, you should give it a go it’s SUPER easy to make and is DElICIOUS!

2. liannelow September 7, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reply

That sticky date pudding looks super good!!!! hehe I would just head there to have that! hehe noms! But i have to say the drinks are really expensive! Especially when the are small cups! :O

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:17 pm Reply

I know right…coffees are a rip off but go for the Sticky Date pudding next time you’re around hehe ~

3. Choc Chip Uru September 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm Reply

You gave a really fair review my friend, thoroughly enjoyed it – I think this cafe would be worth it just for the sticky date if nothing else ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:18 pm Reply

Thanks Uru :) I was worried that my review was too honest and harsh but PHEW Glad you liked it :) That sticky date is totally worth it though!

4. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. September 7, 2012 at 5:58 pm Reply

My mocha wasn’t too bad when we went so there might be some problems with consistency. The sticky date pudding would definitely be the dish I come back here for! So happy you went there after seeing my instagram :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:20 pm Reply

Thanks again Winnie for the suggestion and recommendation :) Definitely worth it and gonna go back just for the sticky date pudding and the Bubble and Squeak hehe :D The coffees were definitely overpriced…and maybe they do have consistency issues especially since it was so busy that morning >_<

5. Vien September 7, 2012 at 6:01 pm Reply

They’re pretty pricey! O.O especially the drinks!! though, that sticky date pudding sure looks good ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply

Definitely overpriced sigh but hey i’m happy to go back just for the sticky date pudding hahha i’m a sucker for good puddings :D

6. Ames September 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm Reply

Nice! Haven’t heard of this place even though we frequent BH very very often hehe I’ll go for the sticky date and the bubble and squeak but skip the drinks :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:31 pm Reply

Hahha it’s quite easy to miss :) just skip the coffees and have the bubble and sqeak and DEFINITELY the sticky date :D

7. kellysiew September 7, 2012 at 7:37 pm Reply

Bubble and Squeak looks great! I love pumpkin and spinach too! :D

8. hotlyspiced September 7, 2012 at 10:03 pm Reply

That’s a shame about the eggs benedict but the bubble and squeak looks delicious and I love the sound of the muesli you were describing xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:35 pm Reply

The muesli is soooo delicious :) I think I’m gonna have to come back get it and send you a picture Charlie ~ I didn’t know you were a muesli girl too hehe

9. ironchefshellie September 7, 2012 at 10:41 pm Reply

Rip off for a crap coffee!!!
    mmmm sticky date! <3

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm Reply

Sighh i feel stupid ordering the coffee :P but totally worth going for the Sticky Date hehe ~

10. libishski September 8, 2012 at 11:05 am Reply

This place is always packed whenever we drive past. I agree, $4+ for a coffee is ridiculous. For me to pay that price, it needs to be super awesome, organic and all that jazz.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm Reply

Yeah i know right! There are always crazy long lines whenever i drive past too :) I guess it’s because there’s simply not enough decent cafes around our area sighhh >_< totally agree if the coffees not perfect sigh i dont want to pay nearly $5.

11. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 8, 2012 at 11:07 pm Reply

They do seem like Sydney prices and towards the upper end too! Psst, I know you liked the chocolate mug cake but I also have a 5 min sticky date cake, just in case they stop serving it in cafes ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:40 pm Reply

I can’t believe you have a 5 minute sticky date cake too :) i’m gonna have to go through your blog again lol not like i don’t enough and look for it again :D

12. winstonthehungryexcavator September 9, 2012 at 6:41 pm Reply

Hrmmm.. Glad that you’re honest with your experience here. It is a tad on the pricey end, even for brunch, me thinks. Well, hope you had a great time anyway. Bad food or not, always great to enjoy a nice quiet morning with loved ones, I say! =)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:43 pm Reply

Thanks Wince :) I feel bad sometimes writing these reviews because I’m not sure if I’m being too honest >_< definitely over priced ~ but like you said always good to catch up with amazing friends :D and because it's so close to home I'm still happy ~

13. lisa lawless (@lisaiscooking) September 10, 2012 at 6:26 am Reply

The poached eggs in both dishes look lovely, and sticky date pudding is one of my favorite things! Looks like it was a fun brunch even if it was a little overpriced.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 11:49 pm Reply

Definitely a great brunch and I loved the bubble and squeak and OMG the sticky date :) it’s my favourite too hehe ~ Thanks for dropping by my blog!