Nice To Meet You – Gardiner and Field

It seems like new cafes are always popping up in Melbourne and even though I go out for brunch a lot, I don’t seem to be able to catch up and my ‘wishlist’ just keeps growing! But that’s not necessarily a bad thing hehe because I love trying out new places and it’s an added bonus when I’m meeting new people!

Through blogging, I have been so lucky to meet up with so many other bloggers and it’s always nice to meet my ‘kind’ of people and finally put a face to a blog! I’ve been following the blog Brunch Addict for quite some time now, they’re reviews are always honest, informative and accurate :)

There are two contributors on Brunch Addict, Mr LB and Ms SL, they’re such a cute couple ~ after lots of conversations through Twitter, we finally decided to meet up ~ Ms SL is the brunch queen, so I left it up to her to choose the cafe she wanted to check out. She chose Gardiner and Field, the brand new cafe that opened up just last week in Armadale :)

Owners Nick and Jess

Even though Gardiner and Field is new to the cafe scene, owners Nick and Jess are definitely not new to the cafe industry, Nick had previously worked at The Maling Room, while Jess had worked and 30 Mill Espresso before starting their own cafe ~ Having said that though, it probably wasn’t the best idea to visit Gardiner and Field on their first weekend of opening.

Homemade jams and sauces ~

We had organised to meet up at 11:30 am, I got there just before that time and found there were already quite a few people waiting outside, I immediately, placed my name down on the list and waited patiently. Ms SL and Mr BL arrived shortly, we thought a table of 3 would be relatively easy to find. However, the cafe had small fittings inside and only had a few tables available, they did have a strip of seats outside facing the road. Staff were genuine and friendly, but this did not help with the wait, eventually we waited for one hour before we got a table for 3 outside facing the road. It was a little weird sitting outside facing the road and not enough other, but we weren’t going to complain because by then we were hungry and simply wanted to sit down :)

Double Espresso $3.5AUD

Service was a little slow to start off with, where we waited for another couple of minutes before someone gave us the menu and take our orders for coffee. But once the order was placed, it came out in a timely manner ~ Ms SL started off with a double espresso :) which she seemed to enjoy ~ while Mr LB lived up to his name and ordered a Long Black, sorry forgot to take a photo of it, but he also seemed to like it :)

Mocha $3.5AUD

I got my signature Mocha ~ however, was a little disappointed, it was very watery and weak, I could barely taste any coffee or chocolate… I would have liked it a lot more if it had more pronounce flavours.

Left – Cherry Ripe Milkshake, Right – Snickers Milkshake $5AUD each

Ms SL made a little squeal when she found the milkshake flavours they offered – Cherry Ripe, Snickers, Maltersers and Bounty! I immediately flipped the menu to the last page and couldn’t help but grin! I simply HAD to order one of these milkshakes! I was tossing between the Cherry Ripe or the Maltersers, but decided to go for the Cherry Ripe as it was more unique hehe. I think they nailed the taste quite well because it really tasted like Cherry Ripe and most importantly it didn’t have that horrid cough syrup aftertaste, some cherry drinks do. Ms SL immediately knew she wanted the Snickers milkshake and was so kind to let me try it :) and it was amazing just like drinking Snickers and the best part was the little peanut bits in the milkshake ~ I’m definitely coming just for the milkshakes! I want to try the Bounty one next time :D

Spiced Lamb Burger $16.50AUD

Moving onto the food, they had a nicely sized menu with the specials on a different piece of paper, it was a little unique though with dishes like broad bean, pea, mint and feta mash or pulled lamb flat bread ~ this was quite exciting as it can get a bit boring to see the same or similar dishes served at different cafes., Mr LB ordered the Spiced Lamb Burger served with chips, I was a little surprised to see two sliders instead of one large burger, as I saw another customer have the large burger. We later found out, it was because they had run out of burger buns and were forced to use mini ones. Even though, servings were a little small, both Mr LB and Ms SL really liked the lamb burgers :) I don’t eat lamb so didn’t try the burgers but the chips served were soooooo fresh, crispy and amazing! We think it may have even been double fried ~ YUM! Would like to say a special thank you for Mr LB to take this photo.

Baked Rhubarb and Strawberries rolled in French toast tortilla with orange, mint and granola $14.50AUD

Ms SL and I had our eyes on this dish :) but I didn’t want to order the same thing because it would be nice to try more things, so Ms SL decided she’ll order it as she felt like something sweet ~ The use of a tortilla provided it an interesting texture that was slightly chewy and denser than crepes. I’ve actually never had a sweet tortilla in my life hahaha and this was the first time :) and was really surprised at how well everything goes with each other ~ I think I’m gonna have this as dessert next time I come for brunch ~

Spiced Quinoa, pumpkin and chickpea fritters with yoghurt and poached eggs $16.50AUD

I felt quite adventurous that day and decided to get something totally unusual for me :) Spiced Quinoa, pumpkin and chickpea fritters served on a pice of tortilla and poached eggs. I think another reason why I got this dis was because I have been craving quinoa and didn’t want to make it myself, so this was the perfect chance ~

The fritters were a little hard to eat, as they were quite soft and when you put your fork in they would crumble, despite that they were full of flavour and the cumin provided strong Middle Eastern flavours ~ also served on a piece of tortilla or was it flatbread? LOL I can’t tell the difference sometimes :P

My verdict – it was super nice to meet Ms SL and Mr LB in person and I would love to do it again :) it was also nice to try a brand new cafe, but there are definitely areas that need to be worked on. But I believe once Gardiner and Field works these issues out they’re gonna flourish and may become the next ‘IT’ cafe :P

Hand made sweet goodies

I’m going to give it a couple more weeks or even a month before I return to give them time to ease into things and work out some of the issues ~ but I’m definitely coming back for the milkshakes and want to try these hand made sweet goodies!

PS. They only take cash, so remember to go the ATM before coming here :)

Gardiner and Field on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

22 thoughts on “Nice To Meet You – Gardiner and Field

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 30, 2012 at 7:29 pm Reply

There are definitely so many cafes in Melbourne! I used to keep a list of the ones I wanted to visit but it grew too long! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:27 am Reply

Hahaha i’ve given up to Lorraine it’s simply impossible to keep up hehe ~

2. theragingcook August 30, 2012 at 7:47 pm Reply

I’m missing out on Melbourne’s brunch and cafe booooooom! :( Yum @ the fruit tortillas and poached eggs!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:29 am Reply

You’re not in Melbourne lately? Damn doesn’t matter you can come later when you’re back and I bet they’ll be better then :)

3. Choc Chip Uru August 30, 2012 at 8:12 pm Reply

I love Melbourne to be the hub of all up and coming coffee shops :D
    A great reason to visit!
    A cherry ripe shake? BOOM! Loving it :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:36 am Reply

You’ve gotta come visit soon :) I promise to take you around to soooo many cafes, dessert places and amazing restaurants :)

4. hotlyspiced August 30, 2012 at 8:22 pm Reply

You do seem to find an enormous range of cafes in Melbourne. I love the look of the food. Shame there were some issues but hopefully these will be ironed out. The quinoa cakes look delicious xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:37 am Reply

Hahhaa i do try and get around Charlie :P It’s bad though I’ve gotta slow down a bit hehe :) I’m sure they’ll improve with time, i think because it was their first weekend ~

5. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) August 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm Reply

Although it’s the early days for Gardiner and Field, I could see that they have put a lot of hard work and dedications to the cafe. Judging by the presentation and details, the owner really care about the qualities as well as the freshness of their food.

It’s very nice for you to decide to go back again once they got over their teething problems. Look forward to your future tasting report :) ~~

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 3, 2012 at 10:44 am Reply

Thanks Jane :) I think every cafe and restaurant deserves a second chance and I’m not going to jump into conclusions in their first week hehe and I actually quite enjoyed the food here, they just had some teething issues hehe :)

Will definitely report again once I get the chance to go back hehe ~

6. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals August 31, 2012 at 12:44 am Reply

Hey Daisy, What a lovely post! I can imagine you having a great time with food blogger friends, meeting up for meals and have a lot to talk about, how fun! This restaurant looks very promising, even though there were a few hiccups, surely they will refine everything and be extremely successful very soon!

7. Hannah August 31, 2012 at 5:40 am Reply

Quinoa and chickpeas! Definitely worth a return :P

8. Brunch Addict August 31, 2012 at 8:35 am Reply

Great review Daisy – I think we’re gonna give it a little while too before we go back but next time I might have the Lamb Burger mwahaha!
    Sooo lovely to meet you in person – lets definitely do brunch again sometime :)

9. Catherine August 31, 2012 at 10:01 am Reply

The food looks fantastic but I always try to avoid new places for a first few weeks for them to sort out their little issues before visiting. I learnt my lesson after having a horrible lunch at Pei Modern in the first week of opening :( But I look forward to your revisit, it looks like such a cute place!

10. ironchefshellie August 31, 2012 at 11:04 am Reply

*siiiigh* another place to add to MY wishlist!! haha

11. liannelow August 31, 2012 at 3:43 pm Reply

Looks good! and so wanna try the maltesers milkshake! hehe nomnomnom! x

12. Nic@diningwithastud August 31, 2012 at 4:03 pm Reply

Mmmmm gooey egg :D

13. Norma Chang August 31, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reply

Sounds like a very nice cafe to revisit. Always a pleasure to finally meet with virtual friends in person.

14. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake September 1, 2012 at 9:23 pm Reply

I know what you mean!! The list is seriously never ending…I’ll be broke by the time I catch up. :P

15. stretchingintoinfinity September 2, 2012 at 1:51 am Reply

It’s a cute little place. Was hoping they’d call it Milk Bar.

16. Tina @ bitemeshowme September 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm Reply

I think you’ve found a great place ;)

17. Nami | Just One Cookbook September 7, 2012 at 2:23 am Reply

I just had breakfast but I can seriously eat all these food again if I could get there! I probably need a couple of days to try entire menus when I go to this kind of place – I can’t pick just one or two dishes… Thanks for sharing delicious pictures with us. I want to go~~~!