New Nest – Two Bird One Stone

For all Melbourne Readers, I bet you must have heard of the new café Two Bird One Stone that recently opened up in South Yarra . I know many Melbourne bloggers have blogged about this café, so please bear with me if you have read many reviews about this new exciting café. To give my overseas Readers an overview, Two Bird One Stone is actually the new location for the owners who previously owned the renowned café, Three Bags Full in Abbotsford.

I actually recently visited Three Bags Full not knowing that the owners have changed, they have sold their business and opened up Two Bird One Stone probably a month ago. I go to South Yarra quite often as there are other cafes and eateries around that area, however, Claremont Rd is a quiet road off the main street, in between the office buildings. It is very easy to drive past it, as they don’t have any distinct signage ~

I’ve been meaning to visit, Two Bird One Stone since it opened hehe especially since so many blogger friends (Ms I-Hua, Bryan, Lianne and Brunch Addict) have all visited and raved on about it ~ So once again, I dragged Mr Bao during one of my lunch breaks and we rushed over on a busy Friday morning. I was really surprised to see the cafe so busy, at 11am on a Friday ~ I purpose went on a week day as I have heard that it is quite hard to get a table on the weekends, and I didn’t want to have to wait outside since it’s been so cold :P

Upon walking in we were immediately greeted by multiple staff members, they were very nice and offered to a nice table at the back of the cafe, however, we had to leave in 45 minutes as the table was reserved for a table for 4 at 12pm. I was rushing during my lunch break anyway, so it worked out perfectly for us.

Mocha $4AUD

Quickly started off with the usual coffee, yes I am incredibly boring :P because I got another mocha hahaha it had a strong floral notes and did not have an overpowering coffee taste ~ definitely helped wake me up hehe

Latte $3.8 AUD

Mr Bao ordered a latte, he made notes that it had a strong milk flavour, low acidity and had a mild sweetness to it lol gosh he’s getting even more and more technical as we explore more cafes :)

Two Bird One Stone has a comprehensive menu serving both breakfast and lunch all day and also their specials for the day. I did have trouble deciding what I was going to order ~ but we ordering from the breakfast menu and to make things even easier Mr Bao ordered the ‘Two Birds’ and I got the ‘One Stone’ :D

Two Birds – bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, tomato, mushroom, spinach served with sourdough $18.50 AUD

So let’s start with Mr Bao’s ‘Two Birds’, its their take on the big breakie and I think they’ve done a great job because Mr Bao was so happy scoffing the food down before I could even try it! We particularly liked the pork and fennel sausage~ it was full of flavour and we really like the texture it wasn’t too soft or greasy :) Reminds us of the Pacedon sausages we picked up at the farmers market a couple of weeks ago SOOOO YUM! The scrambled egg was also smooth and silky ~ gosh I wish I could make scrambled eggs like that at home >_<

One Stone – poached egg, mushroom, spinach, smoked corn, grilled haloumi cheese and relish $17.50 AUD

The waiter that took our order was a little confused when I said “he’ll like the Two Birds and I’ll like the One Stone” hahaha my bad, I should’ve said it separately and properly :P I don’t know why but I didn’t feel like ‘meat’ that morning and wanted to try and be healthy so this hearty vegetarian breakfast was perfect.

Perfect poached egg!

I love ordering poach eggs when I go out for brunch, because I never seem to be able to poach an egg properly :P this was the perfect  poached egg ~ was soon as I cut into it, the glorious egg yolk just rushed out ~ and best thing was, there wasn’t that vinegar taste some poach eggs have as the chef used vinegar to quickly cook and seize the egg white.

Twice cooked marmalade French toast, oranges and vanilla mousse $16.50 AUD

Now it wouldn’t be brunch without something sweet to end it would it? :P Another reliable source you know who you are ~ repeatedly told me to ‘HAVE’ to get the French toast, so I couldn’t leave without trying it! And I’m so glad I took her advice because this was definitely one of the best french toast, I’ve had in quite a while.

The toast itself was so fragrant with a strong marmalade taste ~ then the orange wedges and vanilla (I think mascarpone) mousse was matched so well. Even Mr Bao liked it and had more than I thought he would :P not happy~ as there were only three pieces hahaha

Cappuccino $3.80 AUD

It is my habit to get dessert after brunch, while it’s Mr Bao’s habit to get another coffee after his meal, this time he got a cappuccino which he seemed to enjoy more noting that it had a mild floral aroma, richer body than a latter and a hint of mandarin notes which is the closest thing he can use to describe the flavour he could taste hehe ~

Lianne also recommended the ‘carrot cupcake’ and I knew I’d need an afternoon sweet treat so I bought a carrot cupcake takeaway :)

Carrot Cupcake $4.50 AUD

I love carrot cake and even though I don’t think I’m an expert ~ I have had my fair share and I can tell you, this was an AMAZING carrot cupcake, it was sooooooo moist, with pieces of raisins and I think walnuts through the batter :) Then topped with cream cheese frosting that wasn’t grainy nor too sweet! Once again…I had to share with Mr Bao ARGH I’m SICK of sharing :P I think next time I’m just gonna come here by myself and get the apple and pistachio crumble :D

Two Bird One Stone has definitely lived up to its name and seems to have settled into their new nest very well ~ I am looking forward to coming here again and try out their other dishes, but will still avoid coming on the weekends as it simply gets too busy :)

two birds one stone on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , ,

43 thoughts on “New Nest – Two Bird One Stone

1. theragingcook August 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm Reply

got a poached egg and bacon right now lol!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm Reply

LOL good job :) one of my favourite types of breakfast!

• theragingcook August 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm Reply

Bah I mean I got poached egg and bacon craving! Silly iphone 4 lol

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm Reply

Ohh hahaha it’s all good :) go try Two Bird One Stone out soon ~ soooo good hehe

2. Choc Chip Uru August 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm Reply

What a beautiful review my friend everything looks so delicious, especially the cupcake :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reply

Thanks Uru :) maybe make a graduation trip to Melbourne and I’ll take you out and we’ll visit this cafe together and eat cupcakes together YAY!

3. Iron Chef Shellie August 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm Reply

ahhhh another place to add to my ever growing list! Looks lovely!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reply

Hahaha i know what you mean Shellie my list doesn’t END!!! :) Hope you go soon hehe ~

4. kellysiew August 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reply

Didn’t get to visit because they were closed for renovation the day we got there…. Next time perhaps.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2012 at 5:51 pm Reply

A shame that they had renovations :( definitely try coming again when you come back next ~ I bet you’ll like it!

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm Reply

That carrot cake cupcake looks amazing! I love carrot cake so I’d go straight for that :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 8:06 am Reply

Hahhaah I’ve noticed on your blog that you love your carrot cakes Lorraine :) trust me you’ll LOVE this one hehe ~

6. hotlyspiced August 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm Reply

This cafe looks amazing. What great food and that poached egg looks amazing. And of course you needed to finish off that brunch with something sweet xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 10:28 am Reply

Hello Charlie :) this cafe is sooooooo amazing :) I can’t wait to go back even just for the sweets hehe ~ yay!

7. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake August 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm Reply

This place is next in line I think as a brunch and coffee place. The coffees look sooooo tempting…I’m having coffee withdrawals. HUFF PUFF….haven’t had a coffee in quite some time. :(

Love the looks of that carrot cake. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 10:30 am Reply

Oh no maybe have a hot chocolate or chai latte instead? Don’t want you to feel sick after having the coffees hehe ~ I should cut down too, having too much isn’t good >_<

And promise to try the carrot cake hehe~

8. Ming @ sweetandsourfork August 22, 2012 at 11:24 pm Reply

Mmm that looks good, you can definitely see the three bags full influence, can’t wait to visit but not sure if I want to brave the popularity!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 10:40 am Reply

LOL yeah the wait can be a bit annoying but i guess you can always go on a weekend if you have time before Uni :) gosh i already miss my Uni days hehe ~

9. Cupcake Crazy Gem August 23, 2012 at 7:39 am Reply

Hooray you finally found an amazing cupcake, yay! and that french toast looks so scrummy too!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm Reply

YAY definitely found a good cupcake Gem :) The french toast was sooooooo delicious wish i could make such wonderful french toast at home too hehe ~

10. Tina @ bitemeshowme August 23, 2012 at 8:13 am Reply

Wowsers, the look of that egg is so sexy! Andddd hello to that french toast. I think we need a date when I come to melbourne next ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm Reply

Definitely let me now when you’re coming to Melbourne next we’ll have to go :) WOO HOO!

11. Catherine August 23, 2012 at 10:26 am Reply

Oooh yay I’m planning to head there this Saturday and it looks great. I might follow suit and get your veggie breakfast followed by the french toast to share haha! It never occurred to me before to have a ‘dessert’ after breakfast :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 2:40 pm Reply

HAHHAA it’s the best idea to have a dessert before you have breakfast :) and that’s what I always do go healthy on the savoury and then all out for desserts ~ hope you really like it and try to get there early so you don’t need to wait!

12. Sharking for chips and drinks August 23, 2012 at 11:10 am Reply

Great post – you got to try more of the menu than I did.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 2:39 pm Reply

Thanks :) Hahaha i was so stuffed afterwards but so worth it yay!

13. Julie August 23, 2012 at 4:33 pm Reply

need to make it down sometime for my lunch :D yay sooooon!

14. Heidi - Apples Under My Bed August 23, 2012 at 4:43 pm Reply

yes! Definitely want to visit this place, love that it’s closer than other cafes :)
    Heidi xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 24, 2012 at 8:47 am Reply

Highly recommend it Heidi :) And i agree South Yarra is closer than other places like Spotwoods hehe i still haven’t tried the Dutchess of Spotswood because its kind of out of my way hehe hope you’ve been well xox

15. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice August 23, 2012 at 6:11 pm Reply

Great review. Except… now I have to go back right away for one of those carrot cake beauties. So glad this place has opened. We South Yarra-ites are quite pleased, ha :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 24, 2012 at 10:18 am Reply

Thanks Yasmeen :) so jealous that you live so close hehe because that means you can get in early and not have to wait so long! Hope you go back soon for a cupcake or two :P

16. libishski August 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm Reply

I need to go here ASAP!

The ‘One Stone’ breakie sounds awesome – I’d be having it with a side of bacon :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 24, 2012 at 10:22 am Reply

You have to go Libby you’re gonna LOVE it hehe ~ hahaha that’s actually a good idea one stone with bacon! YUM!

17. gourmetgetaway August 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm Reply

OMG!!! I can’t wait until our trip to Melbourne! The haloumi with that delicious runny egg… followed by the twice cooked french toast and marmalade with mascarpone… YUM!!! I am saving myself for our brunch :) Even Mr GG is salivating at these pics… I hope Mr Bao will be joining us :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 24, 2012 at 10:24 am Reply

WOO HOO :) i am so so so excited that you are coming Julie ~ I am totally happy to bring you to Two Birds One Stone or we can go to another cafe that’s closer to you hehe! I actually forgot about Mr Bao but will definitely invite him now :D

18. Hannah August 24, 2012 at 11:24 am Reply

Ugh orange!! :P Teehee, I love the sound of the smoked corn and poached egg breakfast though :)

19. Ames August 24, 2012 at 1:11 pm Reply

*sigh* this place looks so lovely, I especially love the colour on those tea cups hehe this has definitely made the blogging rounds but for good reason too! looking forward to trying it soon! xo

20. thehungerpangs August 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm Reply

The twice cooked French toast looks awesome! Definitely adding this to the top of my crazy long list of brunch spots to visit! x

21. I-Hua Lim (@msihua) August 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm Reply

Is it wrong that I like the deco more than the actual food and coffee? Hahahaha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 27, 2012 at 8:43 am Reply

Hahhahaa nope it’s not wrong :) it is a really nicely decorated cafe hehe

22. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm Reply

I love how this place prepare drinks – really pretty! The food looks good and that is one perfect poached egg (I need to still practice on this skill…).

23. Asmita (@FoodieAsmita) August 28, 2012 at 3:03 am Reply

Wow,
    This place looks awesome with all that wonderful food they serve.