Craving Crabs – Omah’s

Happy Saturday  everyone :) So glad it’s the weekend! Finally get some time to myself and do what I love most BAKE and BLOG hehe I’ve realised since my whole family is in HK and working full time… I find that I don’t have much time to myself anymore :P and as much as I LOVE seeing Mr Bao everyday… I miss my girls night out hehe

That’s why I was SUPER excited when Julie (I Dream In Chocolate) suggested an all girls crab feast at Omah’s Malaysian Restaurant in Hawthorn. Being a Melbourne food blogger, I am a little embarrassed to say,  but I hadn’t heard of Omah’s before and didn’t know they were so well known for their CRABS! Anyhow, so through a few email back and forth ~ four hungry food bloggers (Julie, Lianne, Peach Water and me) got together at Omah’s on a wet and cold Friday night hehe

Omah is actually the Malaysian way of saying ‘Grandmother’ and they have definitely tried create a traditional and homely-feel to their restaurant, with the red lanterns and the wooden chairs and tables ~

LOL I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw that Omah provides all customers with a paper ‘bib’, so customers don’t get sauce all over their tops :) Very considerate and the girls and I did have the conversation that we would NOT go crab eating on a first date :P

Salted Egg Crab $49.50 AUD

Julie is so organised, she has called before-hand to preorder two crabs but she did have a request lol she WANTED the Salted Egg Crab. I was glad she wanted the Salted Egg Crab because that was one of the crabs I wanted too ~ and it was SO delicious! It was a relatively large crab and all parts of the crab was coated in this glorious salted egg mixture! Sorry if I’m exaggerating, I haven’t had salted eggs for a long long time, as they are harder to find in Melbourne hehe :)

Chilli Crab $49.50 AUD

The next crab we got was the Chilli Crab :) Which seemed the most appropriate since Omah’s is a Malaysian restaurant and I know from my Malaysian friends (you know who you are QQ ~) that they love their chilli! And I do too, I use to be able to take much chilli, but I’ve really grown to like spicy food and now it’s the spicier the better! Once again the Chilli Crab didn’t let us down, the crab was served in this an abundance of chilli eggy sauce. It wasn’t as spicy as I expected it to be, however, given that we are in Australia and I know not every can handle the heat it was the right amount hehe

Balecan Kangkung (Water Spinach) $14.9 AUD

We then ordered some veggies to make it a more balanced meal ~ what more authentic than to get the Balecan Kang Kung hehe for those are not familiar with balecan it is a spicy chilli prawn paste and kang kung is also known as water spinach. It was stir fried together, providing a spicy and fragrant smell :) YUM!

Because we left the boys at home, we didn’t really need to order any more ‘carbs’ and totally filled up on protein in the crabs :) but just like Julie, this time I requested hahaha actually more like DEMANDED that we HAVE to get dessert ~ so glad the girls agreed hehe

Mixed Dessert $18 AUD choose 3 types of desserts

We went with the Mixed Dessert for two, as you were given the choice of 3 types of desserts from their menu, once again we went for the more Asian desserts – coconut crepes, tapioca pudding and the pandan sago served with vanilla ice cream.

Coconut crepe

The winner of the three~ the crepes were nice and soft, and the toasted coconut filling just made it the most coconutie flavour :)

Tapioca Pudding

This was an unusual tapioca pudding, I’m pretty sure it was steamed, and gave it a unique chewy yet spongy texture ~ it was a little bland for my liking but Peach Water really liked it and wants the recipe for it :)

Pandan sago

I’ve always liked pandan sago pudding, but I think the sago was overcooked and hence, was a little too soft, and the palm sugar syrup lacked some flavour. Unfortunately, not the best pandan sago I’ve had in Melbourne.

Definitely a great night with the girlies and really enjoyed the crabs here at Omah’s it’s an added bonus when there’s a voucher in the Entertainment book hehe thanks Lianne for letting us use hers ~ would recommend anyone who’s craving crabs to try Omah’s for their affordable and yummy crabs!

Omah's Malaysian Nyonya Cuisine on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , ,

36 thoughts on “Craving Crabs – Omah’s

1. Norma Chang August 19, 2012 at 1:00 am Reply

Sounds like a lovely girls night out, good company great food, what more can one ask for? Have not had water spinach for a long time, I believe it is considered invasive in the US and seeds are not available.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 19, 2012 at 7:39 pm Reply

It was definitely a great night out with the girls Norma :) Oh wow I didn’t that they were considered invasive in the US >_< glad they're not restricted here ~ eat some more water spinach when you go overseas :D

2. Choc Chip Uru August 19, 2012 at 5:58 am Reply

What a fantastic night out my friend, nothing says celebration like crabs :D
    Great menu choices!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm Reply

Definitely a great night Uru :) Can’t wait to do it again with the girlies hehe ~

3. bakingaddict August 19, 2012 at 8:48 am Reply

I’m glad its the weekend too although I’ve not done any baking! I love eating crabs and these look delicious!! The desserts however don’t appeal to me as I don’t like cooconut or sago. Give me a cake or ice cream any day :) ps I’m making notes on places to eat when I finally visit Melbourne :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 19, 2012 at 7:52 pm Reply

Wahh I’m surprised Ros that you don’t like coconut or sago because you’re Malaysian hehe but I guess we all have different tastes and preferences :) wish we could eat crab together when u come over hehe ~

4. hotlyspiced August 19, 2012 at 9:05 am Reply

That’s a lovely looking Malaysian restaurant. I think my favourite looking crab is the salted egg crab. I love the colour of the pandan dessert but it’s a shame you found it a little soft. But, it does sound like a wonderful night out with just the girls xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm Reply

I had so much fun with the girls :) Can’t wait to do it again and do it MORE hehe ~ Do you like crabs too? I wish we had more salted eggs in melb ~

5. liannelow August 19, 2012 at 9:34 am Reply

yummy yummy yummy! Was such a great crabby night! Love girls’ night out with you girls! hehe Can’t wait till our next outing! and your photos are awesome babe! Love every shot! hehe (: x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm Reply

Thanks Hun! I wasn’t sure how the pictures would turn out hehe but they turned out better than i expected woo hoo :) The crabs were good, but the company was BETTER! can’t wait to do it again xoxo

6. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) August 19, 2012 at 10:54 am Reply

I haven’t had crabs for a long time, not a natural dinning menu choice for me, but those that you had all seem delicious!! Especially the salted egg one, I love salted eggs with everything!!
    Girls’ night out is such a fantastic activity, great company, good conversation, yummy food, lovely desserts … wish I could join you :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 19, 2012 at 7:58 pm Reply

I know what you mean Jane :) I don’t really order crabs either but it was so nice to have the salted egg crab as I haven’t had it for a long time ~ I think the girls night out was just what I needed hehe! Can’t wait till we finally meet in either the UK or HK! I’m sure we’ll have lots of fun xox

7. peach water August 19, 2012 at 5:21 pm Reply

I have the recipe for the cake!!! Would love to bake it with u dear~
    And great photo and post <3

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm Reply

WOO HOO you already have the recipe :) Sure thing come over sometime hehe ~

8. theragingcook August 19, 2012 at 6:37 pm Reply

Mmmmmmm crab – salted egg and chilli crab delicious… making crab noodles tonightttttttttt :d

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 20, 2012 at 12:03 pm Reply

How did your crab noodles turn out? :) I’ve never had them at home hehe it sounds yummy though!

9. threehanns78 August 19, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reply

yummmmmmmm! this place looks and sounds fabtastic! everything from salty egg crab, chilli crab. kangkong ( or as we Thais would say : puk bung) and the desserts. salty eggs and can found almost every where. luv them especially in congee…yummmm anyway sounds like you had a great night out. if im in the hood, i’d most definitely dine here.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 20, 2012 at 12:04 pm Reply

Thanks for dropping by my blog :) this place is definitely great and would highly recommend you going hehe ~I loveeeee salted eggs but it’s not that common here and it’s not as nice as the ones in HK >_< I didn't know salted eggs were in a lot of thai dishes hehe YUM!

• threehanns78dave September 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm Reply

We had dinner her tonight and it was good! had the salty egg crab, duck sang chow bao and a chef special of drunkenschool prawns and crispy fried kang kong, all very good , thankyou for sharing this place and with our new loyalty card, well be back. also hadf the mixed dessert because i love sago and all things coconutty.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet September 10, 2012 at 1:14 am Reply

Thank you for dropping by my blog! You are so welcome! I am super glad that you liked Omah’s as much as I did ~ and wow you tried even more dishes than I did hehe now you’ve got me craving DUCK sang chow bao ohhh yummm and drunken prawns?! i thought it was always just drunken chicken hehe :D

10. Iron Chef Shellie August 20, 2012 at 11:29 am Reply

ahhhhh I’m still yet to make it down here. Everyone raves about it!

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm Reply

Before I started to be allergic to crab in the middle of 20s (such a tragic!), I truly enjoyed eating crabs. Your meals here look so extraordinary!!!! My gosh I am jealous! Great company and fantastic food. Not to mention yummy desserts… nice!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm Reply

Oh no that’s a shame that you developed an allergy >_< mr Bao has a bit of an allergy too ~ but he ll have it occasionally. Doesnt matter there's other wonderful food you can enjoy :)

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 20, 2012 at 7:11 pm Reply

Hehe at first I thought it read craving carbs! :P I’m a crab freak too and it looks great-just like my mum’s! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm Reply

Hahaha I love a good carb fix too hehe wow your mum makes crabs at home? She s so talented! I wouldn’t be able to make it myself hehe

13. penny aka jeroxie August 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm Reply

beautiful and yummy night out!

14. Nic@diningwithastud August 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm Reply

Lights in birdcages?? LOVE! Oh and the food looks pretty awesome too ;) love girly catch ups

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reply

Me too SO nice to leave the boys at home once in a while hehe crabs are even better ;)

15. Ames August 22, 2012 at 12:45 pm Reply

Yummo! My parents would love this – actually I’m going to make a booking for next Friday I think :D Father’s Day prezzie that I will enjoy too hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 22, 2012 at 3:29 pm Reply

WOO HOO that’s a great idea :) hope you’re parents will like it as much as we did ~

16. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake August 22, 2012 at 10:12 pm Reply

This restaurant is so CRABBY! XD I’ve seen that same crab meat metal stick thingy before..I think it might have been Japan…I had food poisoning or something when I was in Japan and I had crab when I was still feeling unwell so ever since then I’ve been put off crabs…but dang…these dishes look good….

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm Reply

Oh no you poor thing :( I know what you mean though I got really sick after eating salmon a couple of years ago and since then i’ve been really put off eating salmon for quite some time…but slowly I’m getting into it again because hahaha i love my SALMON SASHIMI :)

17. Julie August 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm Reply

great night out let’s do it again soon <3 yay

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 24, 2012 at 10:28 am Reply

thanks for booking Julie :) Yes lets do it again soon maybe with the boys next time yey!