All Bagels – Manchester Press

Are you a bread person? Do you like starting your day with some toast? As a child I always liked the plainsoft white sandwich bread for breakfast ~ spread heaps of strawberry jam or Nutella over it yum! But growing up, I’ve fallen in love with the artisan breads like sourdough, ciabatta and Panini bread hehe. Then there was the ‘bagel’, I didn’t particularly like it…I always found it too dry… dense and rubbery…but it ALL changed when I went to NYC in January this year.

Breakfast was included at the hotel and they had an unlimited supply of ‘bagels’, so I decided…I might as well give it a go since I was in NYC, gotta eat what the New Yorkers eat right? :P So one morning Mr Bao grabbed a bagel and’toasted it and brought it back to the table, I had no idea what to spread over it lol so I grabbed some Philadelphia cream cheese and took a bite…within seconds I had gone to heaven and back ~ sorry I know I can exagerate sometimes but hahaha it was so so so delicious with the unique bouncy texture!

Anyhow, coming back to Melbourne…I kind of forgot about bagels lol they’re simply not as common, but then last week on training my colleague Ms A kept buying bagels for breakfast ~ and that got me thinking of them…so coincedently on Friday morning, I dragged Mr Bao to Manchester Press where they only serve BAGELS :)

It’s actually the second time I’ve visited Manchester Press, but somehow, I don’t remember them being the bagel expert hehe ~ the whole menu it was just full of bagels – baked eggs served with bagels, scrambled eggs on bagels, salmon on bagel, everything on bagels!

It made me very happy cuz I’ve been having bagel cravings ~ but I had a huge feast the night before, so I was feeling good… and decided to order the very healthy Bircher Muesli for breakfast that day :)

Homemade bircher muesli with yoghurt and mixed berries $10AUD

Even though many people think I’m very unhealthy as I practically live off desserts :P I actually have a thing for meusli and oats and think it’s actually quite hard to find good muesli or porridge. I didn’t mind this bircher muesli, however, found it to be a little bland but did like the coconut pieces they had through the muesli. I just think it would’ve been more flavoursome, if they had added some more dried fruit or fresh fruit and maybe some yoghurt on side would have been perfect too ~

Baked eggs with pesto and cherry tomatoes with Salmon $16AUD

Mr Bao ordered the baked eggs with salmon, I was so excited because I really wanted to try their bagels :) It was a bit of an unsual combination with the salmon, eggs and tomato but very tasty and the tomatoes really gave it a nice tangy flavour ~ the bagels didn’t disappoint me, it was toasted perfectly, put some butter on it then dip it into the runny egg yolks sooooooo YUM :D

Magic Mocha

Manchester Press is also known for their coffee from 8 oz roasters ~ they’re relatively small and only sell at two cafes, here and Loco Coffee in Elwood. I ordered my usual mocha to start the day, it was quite weak and had stronger coffee notes than chocolate. I would love this coffee on a Sunday morning, but for my last day of training, I just needed something a little stronger hehe

Latte

Mr Bao ordered his favourite latte,

BLT with basil mayo and avocado $12 AUD

I was so impressed with the food and bagels here, I couldn’t help but take one away with me and have it as lunch later hehe ~ I had so much trouble choosing which bagel…smoked salmon bagel sounded sooooo good but then I decided to get the BLT bagel with basil mayo. Best choice of the day! I couldn’t help but take a bite out of it as soon as I got it, it was AMAZING! It had a generous slab of avocado, then a slice of bacon, tomato and aoili mayo, classic example of simple pleasures :D

Yup…I have officially jumped back on the bagel bandwagon ~ hopefully I’ll be able to make some of my own homemade bagels soon ~ I definitely recommend Manchester Press for breakfast or brunch :) They’re food is simple but tasty and using only bagels really give their cafe a NYC feel ~

Manchester Press on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , ,

48 thoughts on “All Bagels – Manchester Press

1. Vien August 14, 2012 at 11:36 pm Reply

hehe looks like you didn’t fall asleep! :P Love love love MP’s coffee! When I was there I had a really cute pirate coffee art!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 11:37 am Reply

Hahhaa i actually wrote this up the night before and just had to edit the photos and stick them into this post :P so that’s why hehe now i’ve gotta try and not fall asleep tonight when i try to write up another post hehe :D damnn i didn’t get any cute coffee art!!!

2. Faith (An Edible Mosaic) August 15, 2012 at 1:38 am Reply

I’m a bagel-lover from way back, lol! This looks like a great place…I love the unique combo of the baked eggs with salmon dish! And mmm, that bagel blt looks fantastic. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 16, 2012 at 9:15 am Reply

Hello Faith :) Hope you’ve been well! Sorry i haven’t had time to drop by your blog lately! I’m a newbie to bagels but I sure have fallen in love with them so quickly and deeply :P i can’t wait to go back for some more hehe

3. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals August 15, 2012 at 2:06 am Reply

Daisy it’s always a pleasure reading your posts, you have such a positive way to go about life, it’s awesome!

I love bagels also, there’s a chain here call Einstein Brother’s, and we really enjoy their Asiago Cheese bagels (with eggs in the middle). Eating one late morning help me stay full until dinner time! I think New Yorkers make theirs differently, the bagels gets boiled then baked or something like that, it’s not something I will attempt to make anytime soon…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 12:19 pm Reply

Thank you Jeno :) your comments are always so sweet ~ I just try to be myself in my posts hhahaa i’m glad you find be positive and not crazy because I know a lot of my friends will describe me as being a bit ‘loony’ lol

I’m definitely new to bagels because I never knew until you use to told me that there are ‘normal’ bagels and then there are NYC bagels that are boiled and baked. I thought all bagels were boiled hehe i think it’s because they are boiled they get the unique chewy texture which i LOVE after it’s been toasted WOO HOO :D can’t wait for the day when we finally meet and you can take me to this chain storeeeeee

4. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake August 15, 2012 at 2:20 am Reply

The baked eggs with bagels actually sounds pretty good! This dish wasn’t there when I went…I was actually quite disappointed with the meal at Manchester Press, was expecting something a bit more wow from them. Dang….the baked eggs make me want to go back! Too bad you didn’t get cute faces on your coffees though, like they’re so famous for.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 12:16 pm Reply

Oh no that’s a shame…but i agree agree that MP can be a hit and miss sometimes, this time i went it was amazing but the first time I went it wasn’t so flash >_< not sure if it's because I ordered the wrong types of food. But maybe go back and try the baked eggs and the BLT BAGEL :) i highly recommend that! Yes kinda annoyed i didn't get the pretty coffee art sighhhh

5. Hannah August 15, 2012 at 5:34 am Reply

I’ve never been much of a bread person, but there’s a company in Canberra that makes proper chewy NYC bagels and I spent my teenage years eating them toasted and buttered after school. So good!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 12:15 pm Reply

I never knew until recently that NYC were chewy lol and the rest that aren’t chewy aren’t the real stuff hehe but i think i like bagels cuz of their texture :)

YUMMMM I wish we had more NYC bagel places here in Melbourne!!! Now you make me wanna come to Canberra!

6. Choc Chip Uru August 15, 2012 at 6:21 am Reply

I have never been a bagel kind of girl but I reckon you could convert me quite easily because all these dishes look wow :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm Reply

I wasn’t either until i went to NYC and Manchester Press now I can’t get enough of them! You’ve gotta try Uru! Sorry I haven’t had time to drop by your blog lately will do it tonight promise xoxo

7. bakingaddict August 15, 2012 at 8:05 am Reply

I go through phases with bread – i get bored quickly! I do however love bagels especially bagels with cream cheese in NY – yum!

8. Michelle August 15, 2012 at 11:29 am Reply

You should try this place called brown bagels…

9. hotlyspiced August 15, 2012 at 11:30 am Reply

I love the look of all this food. I would have had trouble deciding. I would like to have the bircher muesli followed by the baked eggs and perhaps the BLT ordered ‘to go’? And I think the food is very reasonably priced. xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 11:52 am Reply

HAHAHA good choices Charlie :) next time I’ll have the smoked salmon bagel for breaky and then take the BLT to go :) i’m still reminiscing over it!!! And definitely reasonably priced for good food and coffee!

10. fatboo (@fatbooo) August 15, 2012 at 11:48 am Reply

I’ve been to M Press but w/o camera. always meant to come back for more of them bagels. I’m not sure whether they’re like the ones at New York, but I quite liked it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 11:51 am Reply

I actually thought all bagels were the NY type hahhaa until i found out there are non NY ones ~ but definitely go back they’re so yummy and get the BLT hehe first time I went i wasn’t blogging so finally decided it was time to go back :D

11. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. August 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm Reply

We love the coffees and bagels at Manchester Press! We’ve also had the good fortune of having had some pretty awesome latte art here which have impressed the kids to no ends!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm Reply

I’m definitely in love too now after such a wonderful experience but…WHAT HAPPENED LOL i missed out on the pretty coffee art! NO FAIR :( think its a sign to get me to go back hehe ~

12. Ming @ sweetandsourfork August 15, 2012 at 6:32 pm Reply

Hey Daisy! I went to manchester press a while back too and I found it to be overhyped – food is decent but pricey for what it is and honestly not worth the trouble. I do like the nice empty interior shot though – you must’ve gotten there early!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 16, 2012 at 9:21 am Reply

Oh that’s a shame that you didn’t like your experience at MP. But I know what you mean the first time I went, I didn’t really like it and thought it wasn’t that great >_< but it really blew me away this time, all the bagels were so fresh and lovely hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 16, 2012 at 9:22 am Reply

Maybe try going again early for breakfast that’s what i did and i think they’re better in the morning :)

13. Iron Chef Shellie August 15, 2012 at 7:08 pm Reply

Looooove bagels and bread. I still need to check out Manchester Press!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 16, 2012 at 9:21 am Reply

If you love bagels you’ve GOTTA go SHELLIE :) And promise to get the BLT! Hope you get cute coffee arent!! BOO i didn’t get it!

14. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella August 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm Reply

A real boiled bagel is so tasty isn’t it? I remember when bagels used to be just round rolls with the middle cut out-nothing like a bagel! :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 10:42 pm Reply

Definitely tastier than the non boiled ones!!! They’re not as good for sure!!! That’s why I never use to like bagels cuz they weren’t boiled hehe

15. liannelow August 15, 2012 at 8:31 pm Reply

Yummm!! (: I love love love bagels! and so glad I get them delivered every week! I switch between the sesame and poppyseed one! hehe Love it with cream cheese and vegemite! or cream cheese and smoked salmon! mmmm! Gonna have one tmr for lunch! hehe x Gotta go Manchester Press soon!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 10:41 pm Reply

Sooooo jealous I checked they don’t deliver to apartments SIGH so sad… But I m getting some at Costco! Ooo Vegemite!!! I haven’t had some in ages!!! Can’t wait to get some more blueberry ones hehe :)

16. theragingcook August 15, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reply

Baked eggs and salmon plus the berry muesli looks great! lol yes, nYC is bagel and hot dog town as my brother can attest! xD

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 15, 2012 at 10:37 pm Reply

Hahaha I m addicted to bagels lately had another one today ;) I didn’t like the muesli as much lol but nice to be healthy ~

17. Tina @ bitemeshowme August 16, 2012 at 9:06 am Reply

I had my first bagel while I was in the USA and well, I don’t think australia makes them anywhere near as good as they do. Won’t ever say no to a blueberry bagel with a generous slathering of cream cheese though :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 16, 2012 at 9:15 am Reply

HAHHAAA i agree Tina :) i guess the New Yorkers simply do it the best!!! But I think Manchester Press has done a reasonable job and hehe first time i’ve ever had a blueberry bagel was the other day when my bf bought me one hehe ~ Can’t WAIT for the chance to go back to NYC hehe

18. Cakewhiz August 16, 2012 at 1:19 pm Reply

I am a total bread person and i always have bagels in the house. My favorite is the one with sesame seeds…hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm Reply

Thanks for dropping by Cakewhiz :) I’m a newbie to bagels but i think it’s gonna become a staple in the house YAY! So excited!

19. Norma Chang August 16, 2012 at 9:34 pm Reply

Glad to learn that NYC bagel made a bagel lover out of you. There is nothing like a real NYC bagel.
    Manchester Press sounds like a neat dining place.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm Reply

Thanks Norma :) NYC definitely changed me into a bagel lover going to get some tomorrow! So excited hehe :)

20. Ames August 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reply

As I mentioned to you at dinner the other night, I’ve only ever had bagels at Maccas lol but I guess I should give them a proper try at a cafe like Manchester Press – it’s only 5 mins from my placement so I think I know where I’m going for lunch next Weds ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm Reply

You’ve gotta go back Amy :) you’ll fall in love with bagels like i did hehe but reading other people’s comments maybe it’s better to go early when it’s not so busy so their food is more consistent hehe ~ Hope you like it!!!

21. Katerina August 17, 2012 at 3:53 pm Reply

Coming from Greece, I have never had bagels until after I visited the US. I tried them and I loved them ever since. Now I am making them at home whenever this is possible!

22. libishski August 18, 2012 at 11:27 am Reply

Yum bagels! I love Glicks (there is one on Flinders Lane) – give them a try if you can :)

23. Libby @ theveryveryhungrycaterpillar.com August 18, 2012 at 11:28 am Reply

24. I-Hua Lim (@msihua) August 18, 2012 at 12:56 pm Reply

Love the idea behind Manchester Press and I love laneway hidden cafes :)

25. Nami | Just One Cookbook August 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm Reply

Now you totally make me want to try bagel with basil mayo you are talking about. I’ve been eating only 1/2 of bagel for diet reason (so sad…) but when I make the BLT with this basil mayo… I’m going to eat the WHOLE bagel for sure. Basil mayo… sounds so good. Hope mine will turn out like the one you had. What a nice place you found!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 21, 2012 at 8:54 pm Reply

Oh no! Are you on a diet Nami? But you don’t need to be! You look lovely the way you are! But I know what you mean ~ bagels arent particularly good for the waist line I ve gotta stop too hehe :)

26. Miss Piggy August 20, 2012 at 9:41 pm Reply

I’m planning my next Melbs trip & I think you’ve just helped me find my brunch spot on our 1st morning there! I LOVE bagels (my family is Jewish so we gotta love the bagels I tell ya).

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm Reply

Ohhhh yay you re coming to Melbourne woo hoo! I only just realized bagels are Jewish hehe I ve been eating so many of them!