Hot Pot Feast – Gold Leaf BBQ Docklands

Hello everyone :D How was your weekend? Weather has been pretty horrible here :( so windy and cold and worse of all the RAIN! I hate hate hate rain with such strong passion lol anyhow because of the depressing weather…Mr Bao and I have been craving HOT POT ~ Initially we wanted to have it at home, but I couldn’t find our pot or our hot pot stove lol so we gave up.

We were getting pretty sick of our usual hot pot places, because it simply wasn’t what we’re use to in HK :( It was more a Northern Chinese type hot pot. We need to thank Julz for recommending Gold Leaf BBQ at the Docklands and just a reminder for those who would like to visit, it’s the Gold Leaf restaurant at the Waterfront and not in Star Circus ~ because there are two in the Docklands.

We were immediately impressed when we walked in, for a second we felt like we were transported back to HK ~ with the tables, the pots, the cutlery and the decoration of the restaurant. This is the hot pot we wanted :D YAY!

All You Can Eat $38.80 AUD

It’s an All You Can Eat hot pot menu which is PERFECT because Mr Bao and I went with his friend Simson ~ and I knew the boys were hungry :) For $38.80 you get some seafood, unlimited meat, fishballs, veggies and noodles. You also have the option of having your own individual hot pot or a large pot to share with the whole table. We really liked the idea of our our individual pot, so got three mini pots :)

First things first, you had to choose the soup/broth you wanted with your hot pot – they had a few to choose from pork bone stock, tom yum, tomato and mushroom and supreme spicy stock.

Pork Bone Stock

Mr Bao and I both chose the Pork Bone Stock :) It was nice to actually see the pork bone and that it was proper stock and not something out of a pack hehe ~ the broth was actually was nice and we’re pretty sure they didn’t use any MSG which is always good ~

Supreme Spicy Stock

Simson decided he liked it ‘HOT’ so he chose the Supreme Spicy Stock ~ I kind of regret not getting it, because I love spicy food and hehe I cooked some of my beef slices in this spicy stock and really liked it.

Unlimited Sauces ~

Another thing we really liked was the ‘sauce’ station lol they they had the XO sauce, soy sauce, chilli sauce, sesame sauce and a few more ~

Olympic shape sauces :P

LOL Mr Bao wanted to create the ‘Olympic’ logo with the sauce… lol boys…. *rolls eyes* but it is nice that the sauce station is open for customers to help themselves, even places in HK don’t give you unlimited access to the sauce, you have to ask or pay for it separately.

Beef, Lamb and Pork slices

The boys are definitely CARNIVORES so we started off with beef, lamb and pork slices :) I was impressed with the beef and that it was a decent quality and sliced quite thinly. I don’t eat lamb, but Mr Bao said it was a little gamey while the pork belly slices were lovely ~

Oysters and Abalone

All customers get 2 oysters and 1 abalone each :) niceeeee I haven’t had abalone for quite a while hehe they were both very fresh and we only cooked it in the broth briefly ~

Mussels

Customers could order unlimited mussels ;) I’m not really a fan of mussels, don’t know why but they have a fishy taste which I don’t like…but these were once again fresh and for mussels lovers this will make you very happy ~

BALLS – Fish balls, meatballs, prawn balls, octopus balls

Whenever we have hot pot, regardless of being in HK or Melbourne, my all time favourite are these ‘Balls’ lol the fish balls, the meatballs, the prawn balls every since type of these balls/dumplings I love them all :D In HK they even have a fish ball with a piece of cheddar cheese inside YUM! Gosh I miss the hot pot in HK :(

Dried Bean Curd and Tofu

Have you had dried bean curd when eating hot pot? It’s one of the healthier items hehe and the dried bean curd absorbs all of the flavours in the stock and the same goes for the tofu hehe ~ If you haven’t tried give it a go next time you have hot pot :)

Hot Pot Feast

We really enjoyed the hot pot here, and even though it may be a little expensive to have hot pot here, considering the fact that it’s unlimited, you get oysters, abalone and meat, I am happy to come back to Gold Leaf when I have serious HK style hot pot cravings :D

Hello Simson!

Our special guest Simson seemed pretty happy hehe :) he was busy Facebooking and uploading photos of the hot pot when I took this pic :P Oops forgot to ask him if I can put his photo up ~ hope he doesn’t mind!

Take care Simson!

This hot pot feast was kind of like Simson’s farewell >_< Because Simson is leaving Melbourne soon and going back to work in HK… I wish I could say I’m use to it….because so many friends leave all the time…but it’s always hard when I friend leaves…it’s particularly hard for Mr Bao because they’re high school mates and have been friends for so long.

All the best in HK Simson! Take good care of yourself and we really hope you’d come back to Melbourne sooner rather than later!

Gold Leaf BBQ Docklands
Shop 14G, 427 Docklands Dr,
Waterfront City, Docklands 3008
PH: (03) 9642 4288

Gold Leaf on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , ,

42 thoughts on “Hot Pot Feast – Gold Leaf BBQ Docklands

1. Vien July 30, 2012 at 11:38 pm Reply

WAHHH all you can eat!! Must bring boys then or I’ll never get my money’s worth!!!!!! hehehe :p

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 31, 2012 at 7:59 am Reply

Definitely bring the boys hehe i have trouble eating a lot too! But still I love the sight and thought of UNLIMITED FOOD :P

2. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals July 31, 2012 at 12:59 am Reply

Ahhhh hot pot!!!! Daisy I really enjoyed this post, looks to be a wonderful restaurants, abalone? Wow, that’s an high dollar item! It’s so hot here at Houston right now, but when Winter comes around, we love having Mongolian hotpots, going to the restaurants usually costs around $80-100, so last year we found the stock package and decided to just have hot pot at home, it’s one of our favorite things to eat!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 31, 2012 at 8:05 am Reply

Thanks Jeno ~ You’re always sweet with your comments! I’m glad you enjoyed this post! Wow hot pots where you eat is really expensive! So glad you were able to make it at home :) We like having it at home too ~ because you can customise and eat whatever you want to hehe

3. kellysiew July 31, 2012 at 1:11 am Reply

Ohh… The hot pot is similar to the one we had last night,…. More Cantonese style… It’s pretty cheap for unlimited actually….

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 31, 2012 at 8:06 am Reply

I thought so too :) but i’ve spoken to others but they think it’ll be much cheaper at home hehe ~ either way I’m glad we went ~

4. Norma Chang July 31, 2012 at 3:30 am Reply

Like the idea of individual hot pots, you get to choose your own stock plus a sauce station. I have never used dried bean curd in a hot pot but that is a great idea.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 31, 2012 at 8:15 am Reply

Ohhh Norma you haven’t tried? You’ve got to then hehe it’s sooo delicious :D

5. Choc Chip Uru July 31, 2012 at 6:25 am Reply

I love this hot pot heaven my friend, all the dishes look delicious :D
    Best of luck to Simon too!

6. theragingcook July 31, 2012 at 7:57 am Reply

Abalone? Wow that’s a very very luxurious hotpot. Can’t believe Gold Leag have left their comfort zone of Yum Cha and moved on to Hot Pot! lol no desserts?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 31, 2012 at 7:58 am Reply

Hahaha i thought so too :) but hey it was included so yay to abalone ~ nah there’s two Gold Leaf Restaurants at the Docklands. One with the yum cha at Star Circus and this one with Hot Pot at Waterfront ~

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 31, 2012 at 7:58 am Reply

Ooh all you can eat hot pot sounds like just the thing that hubby would love! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 31, 2012 at 7:59 am Reply

I bet Lorraine :) hahaha our men are big eaters so all you can eat hot pots are the best for them ~

8. Christie @ Fig & Cherry July 31, 2012 at 10:08 am Reply

Yum! Love the look of the spicy one. I’m a big chilli lover.

9. Hannah July 31, 2012 at 10:14 am Reply

I love hot pot! And are those goji berries in the pork bone soup?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 1, 2012 at 10:24 am Reply

WOW you now Chinese ingredients better than i do :) Yup yup Goji berries hehe ~ have you tried Chinese dates? They’re so sweet in soup hehe

10. Nic@diningwithastud July 31, 2012 at 10:57 am Reply

After a feast like that, how could he not return ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 1, 2012 at 10:24 am Reply

Hahhaha i really hope he does :) i know i could never leave Australia for good :P We have too much good food hahahaa

11. Michelle July 31, 2012 at 10:58 am Reply

I don’t really enjoy hot pot that much.

12. fatboo (@fatbooo) July 31, 2012 at 12:28 pm Reply

Woohoo! A new hot pot place to try, and this one looks promising, to actually have a pork bone in the stock is soo authentic. ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 1, 2012 at 10:25 am Reply

You’re definitely going to enjoy it Bryan :) Suggest you booking before you go though hehe ~

13. hotlyspiced July 31, 2012 at 1:01 pm Reply

Great post Daisy! I’m glad you found a hot pot restaurant as good as those you know in HK. It’s always sad to farewell friends. I had my sister here last week. She lives in Beijing. She left on Sunday for another 18 months over there. Thank goodness for skype! And I hate the rain too – more rain here in Sydney today and it’s so cold xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 1, 2012 at 10:26 am Reply

Thanks Charlie :) I find Chinese restaurants are relatively easy to blog about~ I think it’s more straightforward hehe Oh wow your sister lives in Beijing?!? That’s amazing! I’m Chinese but yet I’ve never gone :( Disgrace hope i get the chance to go soon ~

Will you get Visit your sister before she comes back next time? Sigh it’s just so hard….my whole family is in HK :(

14. penny aka jeroxie July 31, 2012 at 8:56 pm Reply

Nice… I love hot pot especially in winter… it is so good!

15. delicieux July 31, 2012 at 9:03 pm Reply

All you can eat hot pots sounds fantastic. I know my fiance would love this.

16. cakeboule August 1, 2012 at 3:46 am Reply

The hot pot looks so good! All those sauces to choose from – wow!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 1, 2012 at 10:28 am Reply

It was wonderful hehe and the sauce is definitely a selling point hehe

17. peach water August 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm Reply

OHHH YUM~~~ Love hot pots! <3
    And even better that it's all you can eat ^^

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 1, 2012 at 6:37 pm Reply

I couldn’t agree with you more Jan :) You’ve gotta go try it out soon ~

18. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake August 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm Reply

Oooo that is a fantastic looking hotpot place! My family always goes to Gold Leaf but we have never been to the hot pot one. Would love to try it! It is a tad on the expensive side though..

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 2, 2012 at 10:31 am Reply

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet August 2, 2012 at 10:32 am Reply

Yeah it is a little expensive but at least you get oysters and one abalone hahaha that’s how i comforted myself and that I dind’t have to do the dishes for once :P Btw hahaha forgot to say we use to go to Gold Leaf for yum cha a lot in Burwood ~ it’s quite good!

19. ironchefshellie August 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm Reply

mmmm yes this would be perfect for keeping warm in winter… mmmmm :)

20. libishski August 2, 2012 at 4:07 pm Reply

Mmm it’s been a while since I’ve had hot pot…

I had no idea that Gold Leaf did hot pots but I’m definitely keen on giving it a go…

21. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) August 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm Reply

Good timing – it was like 4 degrees the other morning! Ice ice baby!
    Need hot pot now.

22. Faith August 6, 2012 at 1:51 am Reply

Wow, what a meal! This place looks amazing…all those choices, such a variety! I’m a real sauce lover, so I could probably spend an hour at the sauce station picking out sauces before I even got to my meal, lol!