Farewell – LD’s Little Delights

Have you ever met someone once and immediately know you click with them but then you realise that they’re leaving and basically never coming back?

This is the feeling I have with LD’s Little Delights a dessert parlour in Moonee Ponds. It’s an unusual place to find a dessert parlour where they open from 5pm to 10pm Monday to Friday and from noon till late on Weekends. And I was so excited about introducing this place to everyone and finally reveal it to Lianne (Food Made With Love), but unfortunately, they are closing down soon.

Small cosy place to relax ~

I first found LD’s Little Delights a couple of weeks ago ~ when they placed a coupon on Living Social for 12 cupcakes for $19 :) Mr Bao was very skeptical when I told him I bought the coupon and we have to go there after work :P Moonee Ponds definitely isn’t one of the areas that we go very often and is kind of out of our way…but for food and especially desserts it’s worth the distance :D We got there one a chilly Tuesday night, it took us a while to find car park and walked a little distance to get there. We were immediately welcomed by the lovely staff who led us to our table. Unfortunately, they didn’t get the order for my cupcakes, so there were no cupcakes for me to pick up :( but its okay they were very sincere about it, and since I was there anyway, I decided to try out their other desserts.

Pistachio gelato $3AUD

I was so excited when I saw that they had pistachio flavoured gelato, however, it had a very weird sandy texture… not sure if its because the custard was overcooked or undercooked before it was churned (no expert here) and there wasn’t a lot of pistachio flavour, so we were a little disappointed.

Churros For Me $7.95AUD

I was mesmerised by how pretty the churros were and the chocolate sauce with the little flower pattern! LOVE IT :) Wish they could teach me how they make it ~ and I’ve never had churros that were twisted into a little ribbon ~ They were so fresh and crispy yet fluffy in the middle. I now know fresh churros are always the BEST churros hehe and pair it with some melted dark chocolate, I don’t think my Tuesday night could get any better ~

Banana and Dulce Leche crepe with chocolate gelato $12.90AUD

I went on a crepe/pancake phase 2 weeks ago lol where I HAD to have them at least one or even twice a day :P so I couldn’t say no to the crepes and come on Dulce Leche yum yum yum! The crepe was so delicate and soft, it nearly melts in your mouth hehe then with the slightly warm banana slices and DULCE LECHE can’t get enough of this stuff ~ but once again…we were disappointed with the chocolate gelato, it was quite bland in taste and had a very weird texture :( I suggest if they had the chance… to change ice-cream suppliers.

High tea on the weekends ~

That was the end of our dinner extravaganza that night, but I saw that they offer High Tea on the weekends, my friend Miss Dd was so impressed with the photos I posted on Instagram, I decided to bring her here for her birthday :)It’s quite reasonably priced $28 dollars per person with bottomless tea where we can try as many teas as we’d like from T2 ~

Love the tea pots and cups ~ all from T2

So a week later I picked Miss D up and drove to LD Little Delights again, I was a little worried about traffic, but being a Sunday, traffic was so smooth we got there within 30 minutes from where we live in the eastern suburbs.Once we got there we were immediately greeted by the energetic and enthusiastic Owner, Tash. She was so excited about us coming and quickly showed us to our table and started off by telling us about the different types of teas we could try.

Owner Tash explaining the tea selections to us

They had 5 different types of tea for us to choose from ranging from the Melbourne Breakfast to the Russian tea, sorry I couldn’t remember the names but they were all very nice :)

Miss Dd pouring her tea ~

Miss Dd started with a floral tea with very sweet pear notes to it :) A little too florally for my liking lol but still very yummy especially with some sugar.

My Melbourne Breakfast tea ~

I’ve always liked English breakfast tea so was intrigued to try their Melbourne Breakfast tea blend, its milder than the traditional English breakfast and had some chocolatey notes which I liked very muchieeee :) Shout Out to Mr Bao…. WHERE IS MY TEA SET? I can’t find it?! Sighhh I’ve been looking everywhere…but still can’t find it >_<

$28AUD per person – assorted savory and sweets and unlimited tea

We enjoyed our teas for a few minutes, before Tash brought the 3 tier high tea set to us :) So pretty ~ and I loved how it came with mini churros and dulche leche :D Couldn’t stop grinning never had a high tea with churros!

Scones with whipped cream and marmalade

Time to pig out ~ I’m very traditional and decided to start with the scones :) They were the crunchy on the outside but oh so fluffy on the inside ~ they might be slightly dry for some people, but with the whipped cream and marmalade perfect for me.

Mini quiche lorraine and spinach pies

Miss Dd is a vegetarian ~ So I got to eat two of the mini quiche lorraines hehe can’t complain about that either ~ the quiche lorraine were nice and creamy with bacon, if I had to be picky, the pastry cases were a little thick but still quite nice ~

Mini churros with dulce leche

Its a genius idea to have churros for high tea, yes it may not be traditional…but why not? They’re so irresistible! Unfortunately, this time they weren’t as hot or crispy, but I think that’s my fault…because we left it for a while before we ate it and I took some time taking photos.

So delicious!

I could just eat the dulce leche by the spoonful so to be able to dunk the mini churros ~ just makes it even better :) I have to say though the dulce leche was a little thick so many if they had heated it up a little bit and it would’ve made it easier for us to ‘dip’ the churros ~ but I’m complaining hehe

Red Skin Lolly cupcakes

I’m not sure if you’ve all had Red Skill Lollies before but they were a favourite of mine when growing up and we use to get them from the tuck shop in primary school for i think 20c? It doesn’t really have much taste lol it’s pink very sugary and to me yummy ~ You can still get them from Milk Bars and some lolly stores. It was very interesting when Tash introduced them to us, both Miss Dd and I were really excited about trying it.  Sadly, I didn’t like it very much though, the cupcake itself was slightly dry while the topping was not buttercream frosting, instead I’m pretty sure it was made out of vegetable shortening which left a strange aftertaste in your mouth. I do applaud Tash for trying this combination and she asked us for our opinion and when I told her the trust, she happily accepted it and said “I was just testing it out, always good to get feedback”. Really nice when owners ask for feedback and want to improve.

Macarons – pistachio, passionfruit, salted caramel and strawberry

I’m not sure if the macarons were store-bought or if they were made in house ~ We didn’t really like the pistachio as the pistachio flavour was a little artificial. I think the salted caramel wasn’t sweet enough and the macaron shell was a little to chewy. The pink strawberry macaron tasted more like plain almond vanilla macaron and last but not least the passion fruit macaron was the best hehe been having lots of passion fruit flavoured desserts lately :)

Overall, we really enjoyed the simplicity of LD’s Little Delights desserts and high tea ~ Happy Birthday again Miss D glad you had a good time!

Goodbye!

Just as Miss D and I were talking about who else we’ll come here with…Tash wrote their farewell note, they have been open for 18 months and even though it has been going well…Tash and her partner have been offered another business opportunity which they couldn’t turn down. So LD’s Litte Delights is saying goodbye…we were their last high tea customers… so sad… their last day is this coming Sunday (27th July) if you’re in the area or have some time go drop by LD Little Delights before they bid farewell :(

LD's Little Delights on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

37 thoughts on “Farewell – LD’s Little Delights

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 24, 2012 at 12:19 am Reply

Oh what a shame that it is closing, it looks like such a lovely place!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 11:38 am Reply

I agree Lorraine :( really wish that they could stay open or that someone else will buy it ~

2. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals July 24, 2012 at 12:49 am Reply

Makes me said the hear this wonderful dessert shop is closing, and I love thousands of miles away! The churros are so beautiful, I’ve never seem them that delicate looking before!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 11:40 am Reply

That’s why I really wanted to blog about them before they had to close down :) because then at least some people could visit ~

3. Norma Chang July 24, 2012 at 1:49 am Reply

Sounds like a nifty place, too bad it is closing.

4. Choc Chip Uru July 24, 2012 at 6:41 am Reply

This place looks fantastic – I wish it wasn’t closing down!
    Red skins cupcakes? Heaven :D

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme July 24, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply

Breaks my heart when you hear (or read) of places that are shutting down soon after you’ve discovered them. IT’s been happening quite the lot lately and it makes you realise that lifes too short so eat up as much as we can, anywhere we can! hehe. Those high tea sets look gorgeous. I am so ashamed to say I’ve never been :O

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 11:45 am Reply

Hi Tina :) I agree it’s very sad when places you’ve just found close like that…the title of this post was supposed to be ‘Hidden Gem’ look what i found…but now it’s ‘farewell’ sighhh

I definitely am going to enjoy and indulge as much as i can :D

6. theragingcook July 24, 2012 at 10:27 am Reply

Sugarvore you! :P

7. gourmetgetaway July 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm Reply

Your photos are so gorgeous!! There is something very special about images of desserts… the always look so mouthwateringly delicious even if in reality they aren’t quite as good as they appear. What a shame the shop is closing. I always hate seeing businesses shut their doors, especially food ones :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 3:35 pm Reply

Thank you Julie :) Not many people would think my photos are that nice so that’s a very nice compliment hehe ~ I agree with you that some photos can be deceiving hehe but the churros was truly delicious YUM! Definitely a shame that they are closing down so soon :(

8. hotlyspiced July 24, 2012 at 1:26 pm Reply

Mooney Ponds. Isn’t that the suburb Dame Edna says she is from? What wonderful looking churros. And those crepes look divine Daisy. I can see why you would crave these more than once. What a shame it’s closing. It looks like it has so much going for it xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 3:37 pm Reply

I’m not sure if it is Charlie :) But it’s not an area you would expect to find any dessert cafes ~ I’m still reminiscing the churros and glad that i got to go twice before it closed down ~

• theragingcook July 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm Reply

Correct!

9. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) July 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm Reply

Aw no! Hate it when a fav place closes down especially when they serve up some amazing sweets like these! Irreplaceable. I agree, the churros and that chocolate sauce is stunning.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm Reply

i know rightttt it’s so annoying when you’re already planning your next visit and then they’re closing not sure when i’d find that kind of chocolate sauce again >_<

10. April July 24, 2012 at 2:50 pm Reply

Aww, how sad you find a nice dessert place, only to hear it is closing down. At least you got a chance to go there twice! The high tea does sound like good value at only $28.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm Reply

Definitely good value for all the food and bottomless tea it was worth it :) but a shame that they’re closing hope that someone else might buy the place or ill find an alternative :D

11. kellysiew July 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm Reply

Did you find out what they are doing next? I’m guessing it won’t be too different from their current venture? The churros look lovely!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm Reply

Surprsingly not food i asked Tash and I think it’s just a completely new business venture :D All the best to her though hehe

12. libishski July 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm Reply

Ooh churros with high tea? That actually sounds great to me! Shame that it’s closing down soon though :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm Reply

I’m really upset too because churros for high tea is just so niceeee lol especially the dulce leche hopefully we’ll find another place :P

13. theragingcook July 24, 2012 at 5:47 pm Reply

I must say, I fear the day Andrew McConnell shuts Golden Fields, Cumulus Inc, Hiroyuki Nishikura shuts and retires Shira Nui, Izakaya Hachibeh closes and Aylesbury Rooftop goes… and any other decent Tapas/Spanish/Izakaya packs up!

14. liannelow July 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm Reply

OH NO!!! =( dun know if I got time to go visit before they close! sad.

15. machisan July 24, 2012 at 8:58 pm Reply

So tempting.

16. Ames July 25, 2012 at 1:24 am Reply

Oh no! So sad to hear that this quaint little place is closing down :( Don’t know if I can get out there before they shut there doors for the final time but hopefully we’ll get word of when their next business venture will pop up :)

17. Tina July 25, 2012 at 5:59 pm Reply

yum yum yum yum yum yum it looks so pretty and proper, and gotta love pistachio gelato! There’s also a place near me that sells pistachio gelato, but it’s for $4 a cup about the size of the one in your picture, quite hard to find cheap yet star quality food these days ehh. And yes, I love Redskins, I was just eating them today from the Allens mix :) Aww man, I really hope they open another place somewhere else, because this quality food doesn’t deserve to be shut away :(

18. penny aka jeroxie July 25, 2012 at 9:11 pm Reply

What a pity…. so many pretty and sweet foods that I like

19. [...] another bowl… but I stopped him because I had dessert planned out at another place which was Little Delights which has now closed down Three Colour Drink [...]