Happy Birthday Aden – Chocolate Gateau

I would like to wish my dearest nephew Aden a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I can’t believe he’s already 2 years old! WOW :) I still remember him as a little baby! Now he can walk, talk and run around :)

My dearest and cutest nephew!

Please welcome my very cute but sometimes naughty nephew making his first appearance on Never Too Sweet :) I hope it wont be the last time ~ as long as Win Win gives me permission to share more photos hehe :D

Unfortunately, Aden lives in HK with Win Win and The Police (AKA Brother in Law will tell you why another time :P) so I wasn’t able to celebrate his birthday with him. But I gave my parents his birthday present to take back and he seems to really like it ~ I got him little toy cars that work on the iPad :)

Success!

Even though I wasn’t physically in HK, I still wanted to make Aden a cake virtually and eventually remake it when I go back to HK in December ~ I knew immediately what cake I was going to make, you may remember from my previous post Kirk made a chocolate gateau cake to cheer me up because I had a horrible day :D I promised everyone that if I succeed in remaking it lol I’ll share the recipe! I have good news I succeeded yay!

Now let me share with you Kirk’s version first then I’ll share the recipe and the step-to-step on how to make it :) please be kind and do not compare because he is a professional and lol my cake making skills are no where near his ~

Kirk’s chocolate gateau ~

Kirk’s chocolate gateau ~

Recipe – Exploding Chocolate Gateau adapted from Heston Blumenthal

Ingredients

For the base
150 grams All Butter Shortbread Biscuits (e.g. Walkers)
30 grams Unsalted Butter, melted
2 tablespoon (US/UK measurement) Caster Sugar
25 grams neutral popping candy/poprocks

For the chocolate ganache
175 grams whipped cream (I used thickened cream)
Pinch of salt
Pulp from 6 passion fruits
50g fresh custard (e.g. Paul’s Vanilla Bean Custard)
110grams dark chocolate (minimum of 60%) broken into pieces
50 grams milk chocolate, broken into pieces

Method
1) Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4. Place the short bread biscuit on a baking tray lined with baking paper and put in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.

2) Place the biscuits in a food processor and add the melted butter and sugar. Blitz until the mixture resembles fine sand in texture.

3) Gently stir in the pop rocks with your fingers or a spoon do not over mix as the pop rocks will start exploding.

4) Place mixture inside a 15 cm cake ring placed on a tray lined with baking paper. Flatten using the back of a spoon then put to one side to set.

5) Add the cream, salt and passion fruit to a small saucepan and place over a medium heat until it almost comes to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes, then stir in the fresh custard.

6) Put the dark and milk chocolate in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water and allow to melt completely. Remove from the heat.

7) Strain the infused cream and add to the bowl of melted chocolate a third at a time, making sure to incorporate the cream thoroughly after each addition. Allow the ganache to cool to room temperature.

8) Once the tart base has set, use a pastry brush to spread some of the ganache on top of the base and around the edges then place in the freezer for 5 minutes. This will ensure that the ganache will not seep through.

9) After 5 minutes, pour the remaining ganache into the ring and place the tart in the fridge to set for 2 hours. Then place it in the freezer for at least 30 minutes before removing from the cake ring.

10) Once the gateau is fully frozen, sit the gateau on a wide glass or put. Remove the metal ring by lightly warming the sides with a blow torch. Remove by carefully sliding the ring downwards.

11) Sprinkle cacao powder all over the gateau.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t patient enough and didn’t leave it in the freezer long enough, so it wasn’t properly set and when I blow torched the gateau the sides became quite soft :(

But other than that little mistake this cake is AMAZING! Especially with the pop rocks in the base, I love how they pop in the mouth and the sourness of the passion fruit goes really well with the chocolate. Thanks Kirk for recommending this recipe to me :) This has definitely become my go-to ‘Impress your friends’ type recipe :D

Once again HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear Aden! Can’t wait to see you in December and make you this cake ~ it’s a bonus that you don’t really need to use an oven to make this cake! Because Win Win only has a toaster oven :P

Tagged: , , , , ,

51 thoughts on “Happy Birthday Aden – Chocolate Gateau

1. Julie July 20, 2012 at 10:04 am Reply

happy birthday cutie Aden, The gateau looks fantastic dearie! great job ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 10:13 am Reply

Thanks Julie :) So glad it worked out lol if not i’ll just make something simple for Aden :P

2. Choc Chip Uru July 20, 2012 at 10:13 am Reply

Awwww you are definitely the favourite Aunty of this adorable cutie!
    This gateau looks fantastic! The pop rocks addition takes it to a new level of awesome!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 10:52 am Reply

Thanks Uru :) I’d spoil him more if i was in HK :) You’ve gotta try making this cake ~ i bet you’ll like it!

3. Michelle July 20, 2012 at 10:18 am Reply

he’s a lucky guy, aden.

4. hotlyspiced July 20, 2012 at 11:32 am Reply

Daisy your nephew is so cute! And I just love his gorgeous jumper. What a shame you couldn’t be with him for his birthday. I have heard of those cars that drive along an i-pad but isn’t it incredible that a two-year old can use such a device! What an incredible looking dessert – delicious! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 11:35 am Reply

Thank you Charlie :) i wasn’t sure if he was a little young to play with those little cars, because it did say for age 5 and above but hahaha he’s already addicted to his iPad :P
      I’m so glad I was able to make this cake ~ simply can’t wait to go back and make it for him! xoxo

5. theragingcook July 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm Reply

Boooooo! Wish I had an Aunty who’d bake for me! lol, yeah like i said earlier got the same issue as mine’s more grilling and roasting oven. can’t wait to move out!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 2:14 pm Reply

When are you moving out? I know your pain :) I was in HK with this tiny toaster over it was HORRIBLE!!! LOL but you don’t really need to use the oven for this :) you don’t necessarily need to bake the butterscotch biscuits hehe

6. Sophie Wang (@aecliss) July 20, 2012 at 1:29 pm Reply

Aden is gorgeous!!! He’s very luck to have an aunt like you too :D

The cake looks delicious and quite out of the ordinary. Congratulations!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 2:16 pm Reply

Thanks Sophie :) I’m lucky to have his as my nephew too hehe ~ he’s just adorable!

I’m so glad the cake was a success I was so stressed out ~ yay success hehe

7. Nic@diningwithastud July 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm Reply

Naww what a cutie haha! Love the gateau!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 2:21 pm Reply

Thank you Nic :) he’s such a cute kiddo hehe sorry am a proud auntie :P

8. April July 20, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reply

Awww, your nephew is soooooo cute! Kids are so gorgeous at that age.

The chocolate gateau looks and sounds amazing, and not too difficult to make. I have to try making this! Did you use actual passionfruits or can you get the pulp in a can? Do you have a weight measurement for the amount of passionfruit needed?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 2:23 pm Reply

Hi April :) I totally agree that kiddies at this age are the cutest hehe it’s just a shame that I’m working in Melbourne and don’t get to see him as much as i would like sigh :(

Definitely not too difficult too make ~ I used fresh passion fruit because I don’t know the measurements for just the pulp and hehe they’re at sale at Coles this week :D But Kirk said that you could definitely substitute using the cans ~

Hope you make it soon and I bet you’ll like it!!!

• Kirk July 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm Reply

Hi April,
      I do weight out the passionfruit pulp from the fresh 6 passionfruits. It’s 185g. Hope it help:) cheers
      Kirk

9. Ames July 20, 2012 at 2:20 pm Reply

What a cute nephew you got there! And isn’t he lucky to have such a loving aunt who can cook so well too ;) Cake looks great too – I’m sure guest would be pleasantly surprised with the popping rocks in the base and the passionfruit flavour :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm Reply

Thanks Ames :) i was really nervous at first because I wasn’t sure if i was going to be able to make it :P cuz I’ve never really been able to make anything Kirk makes hahaha ~

I simply can’t wait until I can go back and make it for him :D hehe you’ve gotta try it too ~ i betcha you’ll LOVE!

10. Gastronomous Anonymous July 20, 2012 at 4:17 pm Reply

oh my – that looks absolutely fabulous! you will have to make me some when you are in HK next! hehehehe

11. glamorous glutton July 20, 2012 at 5:10 pm Reply

Aden looks so cute, Happy Birthday. The cake looks really delicious and a lot less complicated than some of Heston’s recipes. Or is that your simplification? I’m off to get passion fruit and popping candy. GG

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm Reply

Thank you GG :) I was really surprised that this was Hestons’ recipe too because I’ve always thought his recipes were too complicated hehe ~

12. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 20, 2012 at 8:19 pm Reply

He’s such a cutie! Happy birthday Aden :)

13. Norma Chang July 20, 2012 at 10:01 pm Reply

Happy birthday to Aden, your cake is gorgeous and am sure delicious too, lucky Aden.

14. Barbara @ Barbara Bakes July 21, 2012 at 1:23 am Reply

What a fun cake for a little guy. I’m sure my teens would love it too.

15. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals July 21, 2012 at 2:29 am Reply

Happy birthday to Aden. Your cake turned out beautifully! I am so envious you guys have access to fresh passion fruit, I bet the flavor of this cake is amazing with that extra pop and kick!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm Reply

Hello Jeno :) Thanks on behalf of Aden ~ I’m so glad the cake turned out okay! phewww was so worried :) Oh it’s a shame that you can’t get fruit passion fruit in Texas? Maybe try using the ones from cans?

16. Cupcake Crazy Gem July 21, 2012 at 3:34 am Reply

Happy Birthday Aden! you have the most adorable nephew! and toy cars that work on the ipad? wow! Sounds like you’re a pretty cool aunt too! This tart looks a-m-aaaazing! I adore passion fruit and can’t imagine how it tastes mixed in with choc ganache! and the crust sounds super delish – I am SO making this as soon as possible!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 21, 2012 at 7:30 pm Reply

Thank you Gem :) LOL i try to be a cool Aunt cuz I’m still pretty young and immature myself HAHAHA I don’t usually like passionfruit but this is AMAZING :D WOO HOO! YOu have to make this soon its soooooo good!

17. Aden has such a sweet jumper:) I want one like it:):)
    He will love this cake, I am sure. POPPING CANDY!:)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 21, 2012 at 7:29 pm Reply

Thanks Kim :) I like that jumper on Aden too hehe you’ve gotta make this cake too ~ I love popping candy!

18. Hannah July 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm Reply

What an incredible cake, and a gorgeous nephew! You totally win at being an Aunt :P

19. libishski July 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm Reply

What a beautiful little boy! The cake looks amazingly epic too. WAH!

20. ironchefshellie July 21, 2012 at 5:43 pm Reply

sooooooo glad you posted this recipe. Totally wanna make it!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm Reply

YAY :) I’m so excited that you want to make it too ~ you’re gonna LOVE IT!

21. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake July 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm Reply

Wow that looks so delicious Daisy! Aden is gorgeous. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm Reply

Thanks Jenny :) Aden is just totally adorable to me hehe ~ i’m a proud Auntie :P

22. Tina @ bitemeshowme July 23, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply

It looks amazingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg! I don’t think I have enough patience to make such a cake. And your nephew is gorgeous :D x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 23, 2012 at 8:35 am Reply

Really? :) But you make so many complicated cakes that I’m sure will take much longer than this cake does ~ there’s just a lot of waiting and freezing involved hahaha :D

23. winstonthehungryexcavator July 23, 2012 at 5:55 pm Reply

Omg SO sweet of you to dedicate this post to your nephew. And gosh, how is it that he’s SO darn cute and dashing at the same time. Good genes, I say! I love how I can talk to you about our nephews and how much we miss them cause they’re overseas cause you’re the only person I know in the same boat. Missing the bubba already AIH!! Anyway, this choc cake is FANTASTIC you’re a fantastic baker. Great recipe too. So simple yet elegant

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 24, 2012 at 11:52 am Reply

Hey Wince :) I definitely know what you mean by missing the kiddos! I was very lucky and managed to see my nephew 2 to 3 times a year, even though it’ll probably be 2 times a year now that i’m working full time…but still i’ve only managed to see my niece when she was born in November then I left HK in April and I haven’t really seen her…she’s so big now :(
      That’s really the only downfall of living overseas alone without your family >_<

Thanks you really should try the recipe soooo easy and yummy :D

24. liannelow July 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm Reply

looks SO GOOD!!! I really wanna try this! hehe think I will make for the mr on his birthdayyy! hehe I love pop rocks and just found out that the mr do too after having the chocolate delice at the sharing house! hehe NOMS! cant wait to try making this!

25. bakingaddict July 30, 2012 at 7:10 am Reply

Happy belated birthday to Aden – he is super cute! This looks like an amazing chocolate cake – I would be ecstatic if someone made it for me for my birthday :) Its looks so professional – well done!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm Reply

Thank you Ros :) I’m still in love with Aden’s chubby little cheeks hehe gosh I’m such a proud Auntie :P
      I’m so glad that this this cake turned out so well! You’ve gotta try making it too Ros!

26. [...] love Heston’s dessert recipes, even though I have only made his chocolate tart with popping candy, it’s always a HIT amongst of family and friends For the dessert we were faced with the [...]