Please Welcome – Jane from Rice Bowl Tales

I am SUPER excited today because one of my most admired food blogger is guest posting here today :) Please welcome Jane from Rice Bowl Tales, she is the first blogger to have ever guest posted here on Never Too Sweet YAY!

I first came across Jane’s blog last year in August, while I was still studying hard at Uni and only just started reading food blogs, I was immediately mesmerised by Jane’s perfect photos and delicious meals she cooks for her family ~ Since then we have become blogging friends and I have asked her on more than one occasions if she’d like to adopt me lol but unfortunately, she lives in the UK if not I’d be at her house every day begging her to cook for me :D

When I was thinking of asking someone to guest post, Jane was the first person I thought of because I really wanted my Readers to get to know Jane and the wonderful recipe she shares ~ it’s even more exciting because Jane has now decided to write her blog in both English and Chinese! Great news for those who can’t read Chinese ~

I will now hand it over to Jane :)

Thank you once again for guest posting and sharing this wonderful recipe with us and Hope we will meet in person soon xox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got to know Daisy last December through blogging, and I’ve been taken by her sunny personality, lively writing style, and most impressively, her passion towards discovering and making good quality desserts. I think the title of her blog, “ Never too sweet”, says it all.

Daisy is only 24 years old, yet despite the age gap we get on very well online.  Often, we exchange messages on facebook and comment each other on our blog posts.

So when she asked me to write a guest post on her blog, naturally I was overjoyed and very happy to do so.

I am not as crazy about desserts as Daisy is; most of the time I find after a meal I don’t have a lot of room left for puddings (we call desserts puddings in the UK ). However I like making all kinds of different cakes for afternoon tea, as I can enjoy them more, and can appreciate them fully.

As a family, we all love dark chocolate.  Recently my daughter and I found and bought the “ Sweet” recipe book produced by the Parisian macaroon company Laudurée, and have been busy making some of the delicious cakes and tarts from the book.

This rich soft chocolate cake is one that we’ve made not once but twice, and have enjoyed it tremendously.

Here, I would like to share with you the recipe and the step by step making of “ Gâteau Moelleux au Chocolat”, soft chocolate cake.

Rich & Soft Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

150g butter + some for buttering the cake tin

35g cake flour + some for flouring the cake tin

150g chocolate ( minimum 70% cocoa )

1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder

1 egg + 4 egg yolks + 7 egg whites

150g granulated sugar

Equipment

A  9 –inch /22 – cm diameter round cake tin

Steps

1. Butter the cake tin and refrigerate for 5 minutes to allow the butter to set.  Remove from refrigerator and dust the interior with flour. Turn upside down and lightly tap out any excess flour.  Keep in the refrigerator.  Break up the chocolate, place in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of low heat, stirring with a spatula.  Remove from heat.  Sift together the flour and cocoa powder, and set aside.
  2. Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4.  In a large mixing bowl, placed over a pan of gently simmering water, whisk together (as you would for génoise) the egg, egg yolks and half of the sugar ( about 75g ), until the mixture thickens.  Remove from heat and set aside.  Immediately whisk the egg whites to a foam in another large clean, dry bowl.  Once they are white and frothy, incorporate the remaining half of sugar ( about 75g ), while continuing to whisk for another minute.
  3. Gently fold a third of the egg and sugar mixture into the melted chocolate and butter.  Pour the entire mixture back over the remaining 2/3 of the eggs and sugar, mixing gently.  Gently fold a third of the whipped egg whites, along with the sifted flour and cocoa powder, into the above mixture.  Pour this new mixture then back over the remaining 2/3 of whipped egg whites.  Combine all together until smooth, being careful not to over mix
  4. Pour batter into the cake tin.  Place in oven and lower the temperature to  170C / 340F / gas 3.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from the tin.5. Sprinkle cocoa powder freely all over the cake.

Chef ’s tips

1. Keep cake at room temperature and serve within 24 hours.
  2. As the cake is extremely soft in the centre.  When slicing and serving the cake, take care to remove each slice as a whole piece very gently.

Tagged: , , ,

42 thoughts on “Please Welcome – Jane from Rice Bowl Tales

1. hotlyspiced July 11, 2012 at 10:48 am Reply

Thanks Daisy for introducing me to a food blogger all the way over in the UK. I love the look of this dessert and love how it has so much dark chocolate and so little flour. It must be almost like a rich mousse. I love how she has styled it for the photo creating the perfect afternoon tea xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm Reply

You’re very welcome Charlie :) I am so happy to be able to introduce you to Jane ~ I can’t wait to try this chocolate cake recipe out hehe it’s like death by chocolate :D

2. theragingcook July 11, 2012 at 10:55 am Reply

Nice, pity my oven is too old and is far better for grilling and roasting rather than baking @_@

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm Reply

Oh that’s a shame :( Maybe you can get an external one? that’s what i did in HK :)

3. Choc Chip Uru July 11, 2012 at 11:09 am Reply

What a fantastic guest post my fr

• Choc Chip Uru July 11, 2012 at 11:10 am Reply

Sorry :P
      This was an amazing guest post, that cake looks so delicious :D
      Thank you my friend for introducing such a wonderful blogger!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 11, 2012 at 1:56 pm Reply

That’s alright Uru hehe :D I’m so happy to be able to introduce you to Jane she’s amazing just like you and i love her photography skills ~

4. Brunch Addict July 11, 2012 at 11:11 am Reply

Oh wow Daisy and Jane, that looks SO delicious! Reading the recipe I think I would gain 5kgs with every slice but it would be sooo worth it! Great recipe and thanks to you and Jane for sharing!
    Miss SL
    xox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 11, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reply

Thank you Ms SL for dropping by :) I’m so happy that Jane was happy to guest post and share a wonderful recipe with us ~ i can’t wait to try this chocolate cake recipe hehe

5. liannelow July 11, 2012 at 2:55 pm Reply

yum yum yum! Lucky you to have a guest post by Jane! That cake looks AMAZING and I can’t wait to try it! I’m sure the mr will absolutely love it! heheh Thanks Jane for sharing it! x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 12, 2012 at 8:51 am Reply

Thanks Lianne I was totally over the moon when Jane agreed to guest post :) I was quite nervous and prepared for her to turn me down hehe I loveeeee all her photos ~ it’s always perfect like from a magazine hehe

6. winstonthehungryexcavator July 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm Reply

AWESOME person, recipe and overall great guest post, Daisy and Jane!!! How nice to have a mutual respect, admiration and friendship with other awesome bloggers huh! You’ve really built so many great relationships with ppl in the community and I, along with so many others are proud to have you as a friend!! Looking forward to more awesome guest posts to come =D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 12, 2012 at 8:52 am Reply

Thank you so much Wince for your kind words ~ Its so true I have made so many friends and built friendships that I know will last a life time through blogging :) I can’t believe i left it so long until i started hehe ~ Can’t wait till you come back so then we can meet up and go eating :D

7. Peach Water July 11, 2012 at 6:46 pm Reply

WOOOO!!! Congratz on guest blogger, and lovely photos <3

8. Ames July 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm Reply

Yay for guest bloggers! I think I really should start thinking about getting a few for those times where I have my massive hiatus due to exams :P

Love that way Jane has displayed the cake on that stand – it sounds delicious!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 12, 2012 at 8:57 am Reply

thanks Ames :) Guest posting is great especially when you will have a hiatus or when you just want to jazz things up hehe

I always love Jane’s photos and food style ~ wished I was half as talented hehe

9. machisan July 11, 2012 at 9:18 pm Reply

Very appetizing and delicious! The image on the top makes me crave to try.

10. gourmetgetaway July 11, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reply

Wow!! That is such a luscious looking chocolate cake. I love the images as well, they are so beautifully styled. Thanks for sharing :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 12, 2012 at 9:17 am Reply

I can’t wait to try this recipe too :) maybe this weekend :) Thank you for mentioning it on Twitter!

11. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals July 12, 2012 at 12:01 am Reply

Hi Daisy! Welcome Jane! What a beautiful chocolate cake, the photos are amazing! I must go “Like” your FB page and comb through your blog now. Thanks for sharing ladies!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 12, 2012 at 11:23 am Reply

Hello Jeno :) It’s an amazing chocolate cake I can’t wait to try making it hehe ~ you’ve definitely gotta go visit Jane’s blog all her photos are amazing and so perfect :D

12. Norma Chang July 12, 2012 at 4:41 am Reply

Hello Jane, nice to meet you. Thanks Daisy for introducing Jane. That sure is a good looking cake, I would love a slice right now.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 12, 2012 at 11:25 am Reply

Hello Norma :) Glad you liked this post hehe defintely try the recipe and visit Jane’s blog :D

13. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) July 12, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reply

Thank you for inviting me to write this guest post on your blog, and to introduce me to all your lovely readers and blogger friends. Reading everybody’s comments really touches me, because of your fun, kind and genuine personality, you’re surrounded by so much love and generosity!!
    it was such an honour to be here, we have lots of fun doing this, didn’t we? Look forward to your visiting the UK next year, and we can go around and hunt down the best desserts in London :) xoxox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2012 at 8:23 am Reply

Hello Jane :) No no Thank you for willing to come over to my little blog and guest post ~

The blogging world is truly amazing and it’s wonderful how we are able to meet people and also develop friends through blogs, facebook and other social media channels.

We sure had a lot of fun doing this guest post, especially with the different time zones and having to coordinate it :)

Can’t wait till I go to the UK next year and please take me all the dessert places you can think of ~

14. kellysiew July 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm Reply

2 of my favourite bloggers in one post wow! :D

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 12, 2012 at 9:06 pm Reply

Thanks for introducing us to Jane, Daisy! I hadn’t seen her blog before but the cake looks so delicious so I’m off to have a look now! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2012 at 8:18 am Reply

You’re welcome Lorraine :) Have fun at Jane’s blog ~ It’s amazing with all those pretty photos hehe

16. Sonia July 12, 2012 at 9:59 pm Reply

Hi , just hop from Jane’s blog, i always inspired by her cooking and love all her beautiful garden pictures with all her nice foods served for her family. Also thanks to her to introduce you to us, you have a nice blog too, will drop by more often from now.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2012 at 8:25 am Reply

Hello Sonia, Thanks for dropping by my blog :) I’ve actually visited your blog before ~ and I really like the Asian recipes you share! My boyfriend is particularly interested in trying your Nasi Lemak recipe :D

17. libishski July 12, 2012 at 11:30 pm Reply

Ooh, a bilingual blog? That’s dedication!

Beautiful pics too :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2012 at 8:26 am Reply

I totally think so ~ I have trouble writing one blog in one language let alone in two languages :P

18. delicieux July 13, 2012 at 9:20 am Reply

Jane, your cake looks divine!!! I love a good chocolate cake, and this one looks so good. Daisy, thank you for introducing me to Jane’s beautiful blog. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2012 at 11:28 am Reply

You’re welcome :) Glad you like this recipe ~ you’re gonna love Jane’s blog too hehe

19. Jane’s photos are always so lovely. I am looking at her blog now, thinking she should take photos for cooking magazines:)

20. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 18, 2012 at 5:28 pm Reply

Nice to meet you Jane! I just visited your blog and loved it! You take gorgeous pictures of food and it looks all delicious! Glad to meet you, and thanks for your introduction Daisy! What a beautiful cake!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 20, 2012 at 10:03 am Reply

You’re welcome Nami :) I’m sure you will enjoy Jane’s blog ~ her photos are always stunning and she has some amazing recipe too

21. pamela December 28, 2012 at 11:15 pm Reply

Hey there, this looks delicious!! I have a question, can I make it in a square pan? Like brownies.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet December 30, 2012 at 3:50 am Reply

Hi Pamela :) I haven’t made this myself but I’m sure you should be able to make it in a square pan but it is quite a soft cake so it might be harder to cut it into squares like a brownie :) Thanks!