Claypot Porridge – Red Door Corner Store

Yay! It’s the weekend again :) I absolutely love Saturdays now since working ~ perfect day to do anything you want and not have to worry about being too tired because you can always rest on Sunday!

I have another cafe review for you today another great recommendation from Bryan (Fatboo), Red Door Corner Store ~ I really hope you wont be sick of these reviews because I have so many in my backlog hehe. There was another reason why I went because its in the Entertainment Book :)

I was surprised at how close Northcote was because I’ve never really gone to this area and thought it would take us a good 45minute drive, but we got there well within 25 minutes ~ if you are unfamiliar with the suburbs on the East, Northcote is close to Alphington, Ivanhoe and Heidelberg area.

A store and a cafe :)

Red Door Corner Store is bit of a hidden gem, as it resides in a residential area and is the only stand alone store :) It is both a cafe and store which sells newspapers, jams, milk, butter and an array of sweets and ready-made sandwiches ~

Love this!

I couldn’t help but ask Mr Bao take a photo of the decorations :D I really liked seeing all those baking trays pinned to the wall hehe sighhh I think the walls at our apartment is a little ‘plain’ they’re all white and because we’re renting, we can’t nail or ‘stick’ anything on them :( If not I would love to put my favourite cake tins on the wall but then I’d have to go buy new ones…oh wells ignore me, I’m just thinking out loud :P

House blend from Maling Room

It was a Saturday morning and Mr Bao wanted to ‘sleep’ in so we actually didn’t get there till around 11am and it was already very busy. Fortunately, we didn’t have to wait for a table, but we were given a table in the courtyard which would have been fine, but it was quite chilly. Anyhow, their coffees are from The Maling Room, so I knew it was going to be good, because we liked the coffees there :)

Mocha $3.8AUD

Unfortunately, the waitress spilled my mocha when she brought it over, hence, the little spill on the side hehe it was definitely a lovely cup of mocha ~ and like The Maling Room, it was more luke warm. I did find the coffee to be a little weaker and not very robust ~

Magic $4 AUD

When Mr Bao asked about their house blend, the waiter described it as having citrus and chocolatey notes, but he thought it had a very rich body with notes of grape and floral aromas :)

Baked Eggs – Chorizo, Cannalini beans and smoked paprika oil $16 AUD

LOL I’ve found a pattern with Mr Bao…when we have brunch he nearly always have ‘baked eggs’ or ‘the big breakfast’ or something with ‘eggs’ :P It’s like he can’t stop eating eggs hahaha

Lianne (Food Made With Love) went the week after and said that she liked Red Door Corner Store and the baked eggs but her eggs were a little overdone. I didn’t realise that Mr Bao’s eggs were also overdone and the yolks weren’t as runny as we would have liked :( that is a little bit of a let down but flavours were definitely good, Mr Bao did say it was slightly under-seasoned and needed some more paprika.

5 grain Porridge – roasted quince, rhubarb and vanilla cream $10.50 AUD

I let out a little squeal when they brought my porridge over :) I really liked how they served it in these claypots! So creative! The only time I see these claypots are when I have Chinese claypot rice or other Chinese dishes that are served in these claypots!

Unfortunately, appearances can be deceiving…because the porridge wasn’t the most delicious, instead it tasted quite bland and I couldn’t taste any of the vanilla cream sigh… but still they get credits for putting it in a claypot hehe :D

Omelette – spanner crab, fresh tomato, chilli and basil $17 AUD

We were still feeling a little peckish, so with the discount lol I allowed Mr Bao to order another dish :) he seriously eats too much hehe anyhow, he chose an the omelette with spanner crab, tomato, chilli and basil served on bread.

Even though we liked the flavours, I found the omelette to be slightly overcooked and dry :( Mr Bao really liked it though especially with the chilli. But neither of us could really taste any crab and I think for $17 it is slightly overpriced ~

Chocolate Fudge Cupcake $4.5AUD

STILL not full lol but I think the reason was I hadn’t had anything ‘sweets’ lol I already eyed the cupcake cabinet they have as soon as we walked in, so I hassled the waiter and asked him nicely to tell me all the flavours they had. They had too many for me to remember, but I chose the Chocolate Fudge Cupcake because I felt like ‘chocolate’ hehe

LOL I love how sometimes my photos on Instagram are even better then ones on my camera hehe anyhow this was a really rich and dense type of chocolate cupcake. It also had a very strong ‘floury’ taste, so it wasn’t really my type of cupcake, because I like mine to be fluffy and light, but I did like the icing and sprinkles always makes me happy :)

Flat White $3.8 AUD

Mr Bao finished off with another coffee ~ we don’t remember if it was a Single Origin from Ethiopia but Mr Bao actually wrote down some notes hehe it was drier, watery body with earthy and chocolaty notes :)

Wow I didn’t know we ordered so much food until I wrote this post lol I definitely recommend coffee-lovers to try Red Door Corner Store, there were some slight flaws with their breakfast, but they still have some interesting dishes I’d love to come back and try such as the Brioche French toast with poached pear, salted caramel and creme friache how good does that sound! Yes once again it is a sweet dish :P

Red Door Corner Store on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

36 thoughts on “Claypot Porridge – Red Door Corner Store

1. winstonthehungryexcavator July 8, 2012 at 1:09 am Reply

Yay for awesome blogger friend recommendaions and Entertainment Book discounts!! Double WIN hahaha… You’re right, the food is quite unusual but so creative — I love it! And I was about to ask if they used rice instead of oats in the porridge like Chinese claypot rice style LOL. Craving First Taste in Boxhill now ahhh… Sorry bout the wrong effect lol. But tough luck on the spanner crab omelette cause that really caught my eye!! Hate it when omelettes turn out stiff and dry =/

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 8:53 am Reply

Definitely a double win when it’s in the Entertainment Book hehe woo hoo ~ LOL I knew you guys were going to react the same way I did lol :) It was so creative to serve it in a claypot :D Mr Bao loves First Taste, while I’m really not that much of a fan ~ but that’s prob cuz I don’t really like rice hahaha

Sighhh about the spanner crab omelette but doesn’t matter I’m still happy to go back for their desserts :P

2. Choc Chip Uru July 8, 2012 at 6:22 am Reply

I love how you go so into depth in your reviews my friend! Inspires me to do the same :)
    This cafe is so cute and quaint, I love the presentation (and cupcake!) :D

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 8:54 am Reply

Thanks Uru :) sometimes I do wonder if I talk too much in my blog posts and maybe I should make it shorter and more consise.

Hope you’ve had a nice weekend ~

3. hotlyspiced July 8, 2012 at 7:55 am Reply

What a great review. I love all the cake tins stuck to the wall – I’ve never seen that before! Shame the food wasn’t quite right but I think the egg dish looks amazing xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 8:57 am Reply

Thanks Charlie :) The cake tin decoration definitely caught my eye hehe yes a shame that the food wasn’t as great but i’m still interested to go back for their sweets because they have quite a few sweet dishes for breakfast :D

4. libishski July 8, 2012 at 1:19 pm Reply

Sundays are the best days, in my opinion. This is the first day in a long time where I’ve not left the house at all and it feels fantastic!

It’s a shame the food didn’t taste as wonderful as they looked in the photos. Boo :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 9:01 am Reply

Hey Libby I know what you mean :) i’m usually going out a lot but I finally spent a lot of time alone and at home yesterday and it’s actually quite nice to be able to do my own thing ~

It is a shame about the food, but the coffees and sweets were better and I still want to give their apple crumbe and honey gingerbread a try before I decide whether I like them or not hehe :P

5. fatboo (@fatbooo) July 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm Reply

Glad you managed to visit Red Door, my most recent visit was really good, with a lip-smackingly satisfying & big steak sanga!

Mr Bao is become quite observant with his tasting notes, yay! I agree with him, the house blend does seem to have grape hints!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 9:11 am Reply

LOL Mr Bao is so happy that you complimented him Bryan :) He’s definitely become a lot more observant and he’s always writing down the tasting notes ~ I have no idea where and how he came up with ‘grape’ hints but glad you agree with him lol I thought he was just crazy hahahha

I’m not sure if it was the dishes we ordered or if it was because they were really busy :) But still thank you for the recommendation and I’d still like to go back for their sweets ~

6. theragingcook July 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm Reply

Claypot Porridge… lol i assumed it was gonna be Claypot Congee!!! Hrmm I think I shall start baking eggs :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 9:14 am Reply

LOL I knew I was going to confuse some people because i was confused too when i first saw the claypot but I really like how they’ve presented it ~ a shame that it was a little bland in taste sigh

7. Ames July 8, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reply

I love the wall display of the baking utensils! Very innovative :D I do love my egg dishes too so sad to hear they weren’t as good as expected but hopefully they’ll improve after reading your reviews :D yay for new places to try!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 9:18 am Reply

I really do hope they’ll read my review and make some improvements because they have great potential maybe they were just too busy that day? :)

8. ironchefshellie July 9, 2012 at 1:59 pm Reply

Looks delicious Daisy! I hate how sometimes instagram photos look better than DSLR photos too :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm Reply

HAHAHA I totally agree it’s so annoying…i spend so much time and effort then realise my photos on instagram are better LOL

9. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm Reply

This may sound silly but I thought that this was a chinese restaurant because my mum makes a claypot dish and also calls congee porridge! :P A shame about the porridge though :(

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 9, 2012 at 7:18 pm Reply

ahahaha i knew i was going to get this reaction from you guys :) and even though the porridge wasn’t great I thought it was creative the way they presented it and liked the concept of it :D

10. penny aka jeroxie July 9, 2012 at 8:28 pm Reply

I usually have eggs when I order for breakfast or brunch too! but I do love the idea of claypot porridge

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2012 at 11:26 am Reply

hahaha i try to be healthy and get porridge and muesli when I can :) and i actually like that kinda food :P surprising I know cuz i’m usually so unhealthy lol

11. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake July 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm Reply

I like Mr Bao! :D I have that same tendency to order anything with eggs, same with my boyfriend. We often have eggs overdose and feel all gluggy…:P Those baked eggs look sooooo good!!! I still haven’t got my Entertainment Book yet, that reminds me I must pay my friend back and hopefully she can get it for me quicker. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2012 at 11:29 am Reply

HAHAHA i worry about him though lol he’s eating soooooo many eggs :P and then he’s getting me into eating more eggs too lol i really am not sure if that’s necessarily a good thing :P

Oh you’ve gotta get your hands on the Entertainment Book soon then ~ you’re missing out and you can start saving more earlier hehe

12. Julie July 10, 2012 at 11:00 am Reply

haha so cool claypot! shame about the eggs.. i think it should be a crime >_<

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 10, 2012 at 11:29 am Reply

hahahhaa i like the way you think Julie and I agree that eggs should always be runny :D

13. liannelow July 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm Reply

hehe when i saw claypot porridge before seeing the place I thought you found the asian porridge like back in HK! haha (: but yes! Red Door Corner Store was good but could be better but still delicious! thanks for your recommendation! hehe

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 11, 2012 at 11:06 am Reply

You re welcome! Sorry if you didn’t like it much ;) but at least it was in the entertainment book and I like the coffees too ~

• liannelow July 11, 2012 at 2:45 pm Reply

no no! we actually like it! hehe besides the guy speaking in the accent that actually ruined our time there :(

14. Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) July 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm Reply

I’d love to repurpose old baking tins into wall decorations! And this is the only time I’ve seen porridge served in a clay pot – shame it didn’t taste great though.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 11, 2012 at 11:08 am Reply

It was a very creative idea but it just didn’t taste very good at all Sighhh but doesn’t matter ~

15. Brunch Addict July 11, 2012 at 11:13 am Reply

Great photos! You put our RDCS photos to shame :)
    I now feel like baked eggs though!
    Miss SL
    xox

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 11, 2012 at 8:09 pm Reply

Oh I’m sorry didn’t mean to do that :( just didn’t really like all of their dishes that day maybe they were too busy >_<

16. Cupcake Crazy Gem July 12, 2012 at 11:06 pm Reply

Aw that place looks so cute! I love all the framed baking pans and things on the wall! I was excited when I saw the cupcake, the frosting looked so fudgy but was disappointed to hear it wasn’t that good! So the tasty cupcake hunt continues!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 13, 2012 at 8:16 am Reply

Hi Gem :) The cupcake hunt is definitely still going on ~ and I’ll make sure I blog about it when I find it hehe ~

17. April July 15, 2012 at 9:18 pm Reply

That’s a bit disappointing the food wasn’t up to scratch, but I guess it’s good venturing out of your area to try something new!

18. Nic@diningwithastud July 26, 2012 at 1:57 pm Reply

OMG I love the wall of pots in the background :) the baked eggs look delish!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 26, 2012 at 9:38 pm Reply

I love the wall too :) But it’s a shame that the baked eggs were a little overcooked sigh ~