Grand Opening – Dream Cakes Cafe

*Brrrr* It has been so cold and wet in Melbourne lately >_< I really miss summer when we were able to go out without a jacket and just wear a t-shrit… it’s now only the start of Winter but already it’s FREEZING! Hope you guys in Melbourne and Sydney are all rugged up and don’t get sick like me! :)

Usually when the weather’s so horrible… I like to stay home, turn the heater on and BAKE lol hate going out when it’s raining…but a few days ago Ms Melody a friend from Uni messaged me asking if I’d like to catch up and go to the Grand Opening of Dream Cakes Cafe on the 1st  of July ~ Despite the horrible weather I can never downturn cake :P

I remember Dream Cakes Cafe from the Good Food and Wine show this year ~ and I bought their Mille Feuille and thought it was so yummy and made a notice to myself to go when their store opened up on Chapel St :)  For those who have not heard of Dream Cakes Cafe before, they are a local cake shop run by the Katsaras Family since 2003, where they specialise in Greek and European type cakes.

Happy and Friendly Environment ~

I wasn’t sure where it would be on Chapel St and was really surprised to find it find diagonally across Burch and Purchese LOL that’s really dangerous because I know I’ll want to go to both next time I go to Chapel St hehe

Being their Grand Opening, it was quite hard to miss Dream Cakes Cafe because it was so busy and had blue and white balloons all inside and out :) Upon walking in, I was immediately greeted by a lovely waiter behind the counter and quickly placed my order and was led to a table in the back of the cafe. I asked if I could take photos and he said “Of course as long as people are all smiling in the photos” Hope he’s happy with this photo! You can definitely tell that this is a family owned business, everyone’s working so well with each other and I could hear them talking in Greek too ~

FULL of cakes :)

They had a row of glass cabinets FULL of cakes :) it was quite amazing hehe it was particularly nice to see the Greek desserts such as the Baklavas as well as fruit tarts and melting moments ~

Melting moments ~

I’m really sorry, it was too crowded in the store and I was too busy deciding on what to get…I didn’t get down the prices but I’m pretty sure these Melting Moments were $3 to $4AUD :) I bought Mr Bao one – he ate it before I could take a photo of it up close, and he seemed to like the soft texture and he’s a big fan of strawberry flavoured sweets so this was perfect for him. I didn’t like the strawberry flavour as much but liked the texture ~ think I’m gonna get chocolate next time hehe

What to get?!?

I seriously had trouble deciding what I should get…so I asked the nice waiter for some advice on what was the most popular and his favourite ~ He suggested the mille feuille and the pink yoyo ~ I remember trying the mille feuille at the Good Food and Wine Show and really enjoyed it so I decided to get whatever he suggested, he is the expert afterall :P

Mille Feuille $4AUD

I remember this cost $4AUD :) I find it quite hard to find ‘Mille Feuilles’ here in Melbourne, they’re a big thing over in Hong Kong nearly all patisseries there will have a Mille Feuilles ~ if you’re not familiar with mille feuilles they’re very similar to vanilla slices, but mille feuilles have more layers and the puff pastry is usually ‘flakier’ :) I like it more than the vanilla slice, because there’s more layers of that buttery pastry :P

This Mille Feuille was surprisingly light and definitely not sweet at all! Ms Melody said she could eat spoonfuls of this vanilla custard all day long ~ the pastry was kind of like in between a puff pastry and filo pastry :) puff pastry because it had many layers but like filo pastry because it was so light and soft.

Pink Yo Yo $3 – $4AUD

I am a little perplexed about this pink yoyo, on one hand I really like the yo yo ~ it’s like a soft sponge cake/whoopie pie with vanilla creme patisserie sandwiched in between. But then on the other hand, I really did not like the ‘pink icing :( Ms Melody and I both agreed that it was overly sweet and the strawberry taste was simply too overpowering. When we ate it without the pink icing it was lovely ~ so we’re definitely staying away from the pink yoyos next time and might try the chocolate yoyo instead ~

Chocolate Croissant?

Ms Melody got this lovely pastry, I don’t know the name of it (SORRY) but it’s like a croissant filled once again with that light be yummy vanilla creme patisserie, toped with whipped cream and finished with chocolate shavings. If you like pain au chocolat you’ll definitely like this :)

Hot Chocolate $4 – $5 AUD

I had a little bit of a silent laugh when the waiter brought my hot chocolate, because I have the same set of cups at home :P I think I know where Dream Cakes Cafe got these from hehe ~ Anyhow it was a nice warm cup of chocolate, however, it lacked some rich chocolate flavour.

Chocolate cake ~

Overall, we enjoyed Dream Cakes Cafe and I would recommend anyone who’s looking for a good vanilla slice to come try their mille  feuilles or if you like Greek cakes and desserts you’ll definitely like this place :D

It was lovely to finally catch up with Ms Melody! We’ve been talking about it for over 8 months gosh I’m so bad, but I’m super glad we did it ~ can’t wait to do again, take good care of yourself xox

Dream Cakes Cafes*
720 Chapel St
South Yarra, Melbourne
PH:  9544 5852

*They also have stores in the Dandenong Market and Oakleigh

Tagged: , , , ,

30 thoughts on “Grand Opening – Dream Cakes Cafe

1. hotlyspiced July 1, 2012 at 10:46 pm Reply

I love vanilla slice. It’s always been my most favourite thing to order from a cake shop. And I love the look of the yo yo. What a shame it was so sweet. But it all looks delicious and it would be wonderful to call in there week after week and just sample something different every time. And I’m hating this weather too and I’m sure I’m getting the flu! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 2, 2012 at 11:46 am Reply

Definitely agree with you Charlie :) it’s great that they have a huge range of cakes because then i can go back and try them all ~ it’s just really dangerous because there are TWO cake/patisseries across each other! To be honest, I never use to like vanilla slice much but now hehe I really like it :P

Hope you keep warm too! Everyone’s getting sick take care xox

2. leaf (the indolent cook) July 1, 2012 at 10:57 pm Reply

Gosh, so many dessert places in South Yarra now! This place is close to me so I’ll have to check it out.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 2, 2012 at 11:48 am Reply

I know :) It’s like dessert paradise for me! I still haven’t gone to Modiva Bakery I’m a disgrace >_<

3. Michelle July 2, 2012 at 12:29 am Reply

Wonder why did not open at the cbd.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 2, 2012 at 11:48 am Reply

I’m not sure either but i think Chapel St is a good area because it’s becoming a total dessert paradise :)

4. Choc Chip Uru July 2, 2012 at 6:32 am Reply

What a fabulous day my friend, it must have been awesome to be at the opening :D
    The cakes, slices and biscuits have such a freshness coming from them, wonderful to see :)
    And yep your photos are smiling to me ;)

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 2, 2012 at 2:03 pm Reply

Hi Uru :)
      It was definitely a lovely day~ girls day out really lol really enjoy catching up over CAKES ofcourse hehe
      I really wish you were close so we could also catch up :D

5. Peach Water July 2, 2012 at 6:56 am Reply

Ohhhh dangerous it is! Diagonally from B&B!!!
    Nice photos :) I shall have to visit on my break :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm Reply

I now right! It’s sooooo dangerous!!! Not good! But it’s still irresistable hehe

6. liannelow July 2, 2012 at 10:29 am Reply

This place looks amazinnng!! and that Mille Feuille! NOMS! hehe another place to add to my list! You’re making the list longer and longer with each post! hehe :D

Keep warm and get better soon babe!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm Reply

Hahaha i know the list is growing by the DAY hahhaha meaning i go out too much and need to CUT DOWN :D

Hope you enjoy when you go ;)

7. delicieux July 2, 2012 at 5:31 pm Reply

That Mille Feuille looks divine! It’s a pity you didn’t like the pink yo yo. I don’t like overly sweet icing either.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2012 at 10:07 am Reply

Yeah neither do I even though I have an extremely high sugar tolerance it just tasted so ‘PINK’ lol

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 2, 2012 at 8:30 pm Reply

I was in Melbourne last week and it was freeeezzzing! :o The cakes look lovely but when I saw the pink icing, I wondered if it needed it. Did it affect the lovely crumbly texture of the yoyo too?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2012 at 10:09 am Reply

Hope you had a lovely time in melbourne Lorraine :) Yesss it’s definitely FREEZING sighhh hate this kinda weather! Yes the pink icing did affect the lovely texture of the yoyo :( it was so much nicer without the icing sigh ~

9. kellysiew July 2, 2012 at 8:53 pm Reply

I haven’t had Mille feuille before but I do love a good vanilla slice so I’m sure this was lovely! Flaky pastry is always the best. Your blood must be sweet from all these desserts you consume on a regular basis hehehe.

Also, I know you have now gotten is twice but I have to award you the Lovely Blog Award anyway. Just do it at one go! Haha.
    Check it out here: http://kellysiewcooks.com/2012/07/02/blog-awards-and-random-facts-about-myself/

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2012 at 11:18 am Reply

OMG :) Thank you so much Kelly :) I’m really flattered that you gave this award to me! The food blogging world is just too nice and sharing!

LOL i haven’t gone to the doctors lately…I don’t think I want to know my sugar levels hehe oh damn I should feel bad u use to be a doctor and i’m doing all the things I shouldn’t be :P

10. Norma Chang July 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reply

What a delightful and delicious cafe. Everything looks so good I would have a difficult time choosing. Upon your recommendation, I would most likely go for the mille feuille first.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2012 at 11:19 am Reply

Glad you like the look of this cafe Norma :) Are there many mille feuilles in the States? Because like i said they’re everywhere in HK :) Wish they had more places that sold them in Australia hehe

11. Faith July 3, 2012 at 12:32 am Reply

Looks like a great place! That Mille Feuille is gorgeous and sounds perfect…I like that it’s not too sweet. And I know my hubby would go crazy for the chocolate croissant! :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2012 at 11:20 am Reply

Hi Faith :) I’m sure you and Mike will love it because it’s definitely not too sweet which is always good ~ hahahaa i know so many people who are a fan of chocolate croissants hehe :P

12. I-Hua Lim (@msihua) July 3, 2012 at 6:53 pm Reply

Oh wow! I remember them from GFWS too! Didn’t realised they opened up a spot!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2012 at 10:10 pm Reply

Yeah they just opened on Sunday :) You should have visited when you went to the Prahran market hehe ~ doesn’t matter always next time!

13. ironchefshellie July 3, 2012 at 10:07 pm Reply

I live in Oakleigh and there is one there but we never go…. perhaps we should!!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 3, 2012 at 10:19 pm Reply

Ohh i didn’t know you lived in Oakleigh :) definitely go try it out! Most of their cakes are promising just stay away from the PINK YOYO :P

14. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 6, 2012 at 3:21 am Reply

Haha don’t feel bad – even we’re in summer, it’s pretty cool and sometimes cold that we feel like we’re in the same weather all year around. Mille Feuille is my mom’s favorite and it looks good. I’m so jealous you get to check out this kind of place. I need good dessert shops/places around here…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm Reply

Doesn’t matter Nami :) you’re such a good cook if you want desserts i’m sure you can just make something yourself! I love that blueberry cake you just blogged about hehe ~

15. April July 6, 2012 at 10:20 pm Reply

My recommendation for a good mille feiulle is at La Tropezienne on Glenferrie Rd in Hawthorn. Hubby loves a good Mille feiulle and he really rates that one!