Masterpiece – Zumbo’s V8 Cake

Warm greetings everyone :) hope you’ve all had a nice week so far! Mine has been a mixed bag of lolly lol if you know what I mean ~ my parents left on Monday…meaning from now on until next year, I’m going to have cook, clean and organise everything, damn I’ve gotten use to them being here :P then I finally got the ‘cold’ so many of my friends and colleagues have been sick, but I managed to stay fine…but then on Tuesday…I finally fell sick >_<  and since then I don’t seem to be able to get over it :( would like to say a HUGE thank you to all my colleagues at work especially RiRi and Yue who have given me so much support and all the lovely messages I received on Twitter/Instagram ~

Anyway, enough of me ‘whinging’, I owe my dear friend Kirk an apology because I promised to blog about the AMAZING V8 cake last week but I’ve been too busy and sick. So I’m REALLY sorry!

The one and only V8!

Every month I participate in the Alphabakes challenge and have been convincing Kirk to make something because I knew it was going spectacular!

Finally this month Kirk decided to participate, we had to make something starting with the letter is ‘V’ so I made a Vanilla Honey Cheesecake and have talked to Kirk and knew he was going to make something with Vanilla but I didn’t expect 8 layer vanilla cake from Adriano Zumbo.

For those who are not from Australia or who have not watched Master Chef Australia, you may not know Adriano Zumbo, but he is currently one of Australia’s most well known pastry chef and is often described as the ‘Master of Macarons’ where he calls them Zumbarons :) The V8 cake is so popular in Australia that as soon as I posted a photo of it on Instagram everyone immediately knew ~ I have visited Zumbo’s patisserie quite a few times yet have never had the chance to try the ‘famous’ V8 so was SUPER DUPER UBER excited when Kirk said he was going to make it ~

Awesome!

I’m sorry but I’m not going to provide you with the recipe due to copyright issues but you can find it here on the Masterchef website :) But I will show you each component and share how Kirk assembled the V8 ~

There’s really more than 8 layers in this cake! It’s so complicated :) I don’t think I know anyone else who could tackle this apart from Kirk ~

Let’s start with the Vanilla Dacquoise which is like a meringue that is very similar to a macaron ~ and is the base for the V8 cake. Kirk mentioned that it is important that this is done well, as it will help support the other layers on top of it.

Baked vanilla dacquoise

Second layer is the Vanilla and Almond Crunch which is my ABSOLUTE favourite! It’s like a really delicious Nutella with more crunch :D I ate so much of it and all of the leftovers hehe ~

Vanilla Almond Crunch

Third Layer Vanilla Ganache ~ which is basically a white chocolate ganache with vanilla seeds :) sorry we didn’t take a photo of it.

Baked Vanilla Chiffon Cake with Vanilla Syrup

Vanilla Syrup

Fourth layer is a Vanilla Chiffon Cake it’s hard enough for me to make a ’round’ one let alone a square thin layer of chiffon cake :P and then there was the Vanilla Syrup used to brush over the Chiffon cake :)

HUGE creme brulee

Fifth layer another favourite of ours Vanilla Creme Brulee it’s the LARGEST I’ve ever seen and I never thought you could make it that BIG :P

Me & Creme Brulee

Sixth layer Vanilla Macaron this is very similar to the Vanilla dacquise but Kirk said he was impressed with Zumbo’s recipe that even though it such a ‘large’ macaron the texture was still quite nice.

Vanilla Water Jelly

Seventh layer Vanilla Water Jelly LOL I thought this Vanilla Water Jelly was quite funny looking with the little ‘black’ seeds through it :P Kirk did mention he used an ‘abundance’ of Vanilla pods to make this cake.

Vanilla Creme Chantilly

Eight layer Vanilla Creme Chantilly, I’m not usually a fan of the cream in or over cakes, but this Vanilla Creme Chantilly was so light and smooth :)

White Chocolate Glaze Finishing

Ninth and last layer White Chocolate Glaze Finishing Kirk actually used another recipe and didn’t use Zumbo’s recipe :) There’s a few reasons why he did that ~ first and foremost its because to make Zumbo’s white glaze you have to buy chemicals such as titanium dioxide which is essentially what you find in toothpaste :P It was just too troublesome to get that so Kirk omitted it and used another recipe :) To me it made no difference and it still taste delicious!

Now that all the components have been made, it was came the crucial time of ‘assembling’ the cake! I’ve watched the episode where the contestants on Masterchef had to make the V8 and so many of them failed when trying to assemble the cake. Kirk didn’t follow Zumbo’s method as he thought it would be easier to put the layers on top of each other and pour the White Chocolate Glaze.

First layer Vanilla Dacquise and Vanilla and Almond Crunch

First things first, prepared a square tin with baking paper and placed his Vanilla Dacquise then he smothered the ADDICTIVE Vanilla and almond crunch over it :)

Then it was time for the Vanilla Chiffon Cake layer  and brush it with Vanilla syrup ~ I’ve never managed to cut the edges so ‘straight’ :)

More layers to come Creme Brulee, Vanilla Macaron and Vanilla Water Jelly :) I only had the leftovers of the Creme Brulee *cries*

Master at work :)

I was getting slightly impatient by now lol I just wanted to EAT this cake ~ Kirk the master was at work, putting the final Vanilla Creme Chantilly on top, popped it back into the fridge and after a good 20 minutes… he finally got it out and started trimming it :)

FINAL PRODUCT

White Chocolate Glaze over and the V8 cake is DONE :) now it’s just decorating the cake ~ Unfortunately, Kirk didn’t have enough time to make the ‘flower’ that Zumbo has one the cake, but I have no doubt that he has the skill to make it ~ maybe next time when he makes this cake again :D

So pretty ~

We may not have a flower but Kirk made another favourite of mine Brown Sugar Crumble ~ I’m always bugging him to make it and put it on all my desserts hehe ~

Wow…this is a long post lol this is definitely a cake that is time consuming to make and blog about, but definitely not time consuming to eat ~ I was SO lucky Kirk gave me literally half of the cake to take home ~ I don’t think I can really describe the flavour and taste of this cake because all the layers make it quite complex. But let’s just say ‘VANILLA OVERLOAD’ :)

What more can I ask for?

I asked Kirk how he felt after making the V8 cake and he said “I’ve been waiting to make it for 2 years, initially wanted to make it for a friends weddings…now they’ve been married for 2 years and have a child, yet I still haven’t made it, but I’m glad I did…I don’t think I would have been able to make it 2 years ago and my advice to home cooks who would like to make this cake is be prepared to use LOADS of vanilla pods and wash LOADS of dishes :)” HAHAHA It’s true I witnessed it in front of me, Kirk kept washing the same bowl over and over again!

What more can I ask for? LOL Zumbo sells this cake for $125 at his store and I’d need to fly up to Sydney to get it ~ but thanks to Kirk, I got to eat V8 for breakfast, lunch and dessert for 2 days in a ROW! *WIN* I don’t think I’d ever be able to make the V8 cake at home…it’s simply too difficult and time consuming for me…but maybe Kirk will feel very ‘generous’ and make it for me again :)

Tagged: , , , ,

61 thoughts on “Masterpiece – Zumbo’s V8 Cake

1. Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) June 29, 2012 at 12:17 pm Reply

WOW!! Massive props for the patience, skill and time devoted to this vanilla project. I have tried the original at a friend’s birthday and can vouch for its vanilla deliciousness =D

How long did it take Kirk to make, and did he estimate the ingredients costs involved?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm Reply

It probably took him 6 hours to make from start to finish :) and he said the ingredients costs around $60 it’s mainly the vanilla bean and coverture chocolate that is expensive ~ the rest isn’t too bad but if you want to get technical the chemicals Zumbo uses is quite expensive too :D

• Kirk July 4, 2012 at 10:29 am Reply

Hi Rita,
      It took roughly 6hrs, and mostly was washing the dishes, I wish I got more bowls at home lol
      Yay, as daisy said about $50-60 cost, and it depends if u need to buy everything to start or u might have flour or sugar etc at home, it could be slightly cheaper:) and I got discount in some store to buy the pastry ingredients, so i think I just spent around $30-40:)

2. Vien June 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm Reply

WOW! haha all I can say is WOW! You lucky girl :P It must have tasted amazing!!! get well soon and take care k? :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm Reply

Thanks Vien :) i’m feeling better now ~ I am definitely lucky it was such an awesome cake!!! I’d never be able to make it LOL

3. Choc Chip Uru June 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm Reply

OH MY GOSH i can’t believe it!!!
    This cake looks absolutely perfect!
    I remember seeing the original on masterchef and actually hyperventilating ;)
    You lucky lucky friend of mine :D

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm Reply

Thank you Uru :) I am definitely lucky to have tried and very loved by so many of my friends ~

I remember seeing that V8 challenge on Masterchef too it was CRAZY ahhaha i felt so sorry for the contestants >_<

4. Winnie@Eat.Play.Shop. June 29, 2012 at 1:36 pm Reply

Wow, a master piece indeed! You’re so lucky Daisy, I need friends like yours ;P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 29, 2012 at 1:47 pm Reply

Hahaha the best thing I did last year was get to know Kirk :P wish i could share some with you! Especially since I’m sure we live SO close to each other!!!

• Kirk July 4, 2012 at 10:32 am Reply

Same here Daisy, it’s very nice to met you:)

5. Nic@diningwithastud June 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm Reply

Im in such awe of his cake making skills. Its absolutely amazing!!! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 6:49 pm Reply

Same here :) I wish I was half as talented as he is ~ I’m just so glad we’re friends hehe ~

• Kirk July 4, 2012 at 10:35 am Reply

Thx Nic :)

And Daisy u are talented too:) happy to be friend with you😄

6. liannelow June 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm Reply

Kirk is too talented! (: hehe lucky you who got to eat what he made! I have to say the vanilla almond crunch is y fav layer out of all! hehe AMAZING JOB!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 6:51 pm Reply

I am totally in love with the vanilla almond crunch layer too :) it’s amazing i could eat buckets of that hehe totally lucky to have had half of the cake hehe ~

• Kirk July 4, 2012 at 10:37 am Reply

Thx Liannelow. I’m still learning la. Maybe next time can share some with you:)

• liannelow July 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm Reply

hehe I will be SO HAPPY to be able to have any of the things you make! (:

7. Hotly Spiced June 29, 2012 at 4:41 pm Reply

I cannot believe Kirk attempted this cake. Unbelievable. I have admired this for years but have been too gutless to try it. He did an amazing job. If he was on Master Chef he would have won that round for sure. If he’s ever out of work, I’m sure Zumbo would give him a job! xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 6:52 pm Reply

I can’t believe he did it either :) When Kirk first told me I was like ‘are you sure?’ I was always confident that he’ll be able to make it but hehe it’s such a lot of effort! I totally said the same thing to him that I’m sure Zumbo would love to meet him hehe ~

• Kirk July 4, 2012 at 10:40 am Reply

Thx hotly spiced ur compliment. I’m still learning and hopefully can improve more:)
      You should give it a go when u have time, it’ll be fun:)

8. Michelle June 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm Reply

Kudos for Mr Kirk and you for attempting this difficult to bake cake. I can imagine me baking it! The horror!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 6:53 pm Reply

Thanks Michelle :) hope you’re having fun in Malaysia ~ I’m not so sure I could ever really bake this cake too many elements hehe

• Kirk July 4, 2012 at 10:41 am Reply

Thanks Michelle:)

9. Ames June 29, 2012 at 7:14 pm Reply

Only one word – AMAZING!

10. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 29, 2012 at 7:18 pm Reply

Wow, that is one of the best non Zumbo versions I’ve seen. I thought you bought it! :o

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 6:58 pm Reply

I agree :) I would be fooled that Kirk bought it if I didn’t watch him make it ~

11. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals June 30, 2012 at 2:41 am Reply

OMG Daisy, this cake looks AHHHHHMAAAZINGGGGG! You are so lucky to have Kirk as a friend! It’s a good thing I was not in the kitchen while you guys were making this beautiful cake, because each layers would have been devoured by me before assembling, especially the Creme Brulee!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 7:04 pm Reply

Hello Jeno :) I know I am SUPER lucky to have Kirk as a friend! He is always making me goodies and feeding me hahaha very spoilt :D hahaha Kirk had to fight me to get some of the layers back because it was so irresistible!

• Kirk July 15, 2012 at 7:42 am Reply

Hi Jeno
      Nice to meet u here.

I am glad to know Daisy too:)

12. Rice Bowl Tales ( Jane ) June 30, 2012 at 8:10 am Reply

This cake looks absolutely incredible! With all the layers of different textures and flavors ( although all with vanilla infused yummy taste, I am sure each layer still tasted individually delicious ) ~~
    Lucky you, not only do you get to eat it but to take half of it home too!!
    Is it expensive to make? Because every layer requires 1-2 vanilla pod?!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 7:05 pm Reply

Hi Jane :) This cake is AMAZING with 8 layers full of vanilla and chocolate hehe ~ Kirk said that to make the cake it costs about $60 AUD for the ingredients so I think around $40 pounds :D

I’m so glad I got half to take home hahaha it was so so so yummy!

• Kirk July 15, 2012 at 7:49 am Reply

Hi Jane,
      Nice to meet u here. How r u?
      Your blog looks great:)

As Daisy mentioned the cake about 50-60aus dollars, and I think you can shop online to get the cheaper price vanilla bean( I saw it somewhere) I spent about 40 in total for the cake. Don’t know the rate to pround:p you should give it a go when u have time hehe I believe u can make it:)

13. I am confused. How did Kirk get the cake out of the tin that he ‘set’ it in, in the fridge? Did he turn it upside down or is it a special tin?
    No way could I ever make this cake! It is so complicated! Congratulations to Kirk:) Does he have a blog?
    Thank you for sharing this with us:) I am amazed (and confused as menioned above hehe)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm Reply

Hi Kim :) I think Kirk turned it over…but i’m not too sure to be honest, I’ll ask him and get him to let you know ~ I would never be able to make this cake either! Unfortunately Kirk doesn’t have a blog but he’s happy to share his recipes on my blog :) he’s the best!

14. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake June 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm Reply

WOW Kirk sounds absolutely amazing. I don’t think I know anyone who can pull this off apart from one person. I’m drooling!! You’re so lucky to have had this to take home. :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 7:08 pm Reply

Totally agree with you :) I think Kirk is the only person I know who could tackle the V8! :D So glad I got so much of it hehe I had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner!

15. bakingaddict June 30, 2012 at 7:26 pm Reply

OMG this is super duper amazing!!! Thank you Kirk for making this awesome cake for AlphaBakes. How many hours did this take to make? I don’t think I’ve ever made more than a 3 layer cake! Daisy – you are soooo lucky to eat half of the cake, please, please send me a little slice :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm Reply

I wish I could share with you Ros :) if i could I’d share a BIG slice with you and that wouldn’t really matter to me hehe ~ I think Kirk spent 5-6 hours making it but i’ll get him to tell you himself :D

I am definitely very lucky! Totally spoilt by Kirk and Mr Bao hehe :D

16. Hannah July 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm Reply

Oh my gosh, this is amazing! Why won’t anyone make this for me? Boohoo!

P.S. Take care of yourself, lady! Being sick is no fun, and you don’t want it to linger.

17. libishski July 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm Reply

This looks great! I don’t think I have the patience (or even the basic baking skills) required to even ATTEMPT the cake. Good thing is that I will be flying to Sydney again in two weeks time and am going to go to Zumbo. Now the issue is whether I am willing to part $125 for a cake…

18. penny aka jeroxie July 1, 2012 at 10:16 pm Reply

Amazeballs! The cake looks GREAT!

19. leaf (the indolent cook) July 1, 2012 at 10:56 pm Reply

That cake is amazing and Kirk is amazing. What an awesome friend you have! Seriously fantastic stuff.

20. I-Hua Lim (@msihua) July 3, 2012 at 6:56 pm Reply

That is insane and very amazing! I can’t believe he did it!!

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook July 6, 2012 at 3:26 am Reply

OH MY GOODNESS! THE LAYERS! I’m totally impressed! :-O Definitely one memorable cake!

22. April July 6, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply

Wowow, how amazing! So impressive! Even better that Kirk did the hard work and you got to reap the reward! Great friend :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet July 7, 2012 at 2:05 pm Reply

Kirk is definitely an amazing pastry chef and friend! I ve happily gained many kilos since becoming friends with him ;)

23. Ali July 8, 2012 at 12:09 am Reply

Wow! I cannot believe you know someone who attempted to make the V-8 cake!! And, make it so well! It looked awesome and I bet it was delicious.

24. Brunch Addict July 12, 2012 at 3:04 pm Reply

Wow! I can’t believe you made the V8 cake. It looks incredible too! Overall, how long did it take you? AMAZING JOB!

25. Chen Chen October 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm Reply

That is just amazing! I saw the recipe on Zumbo’s recipe book and thought who will be patient enough to try it and you did it and it looks really good too. Great work! Keep it up!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 18, 2012 at 9:22 am Reply

Thank you for dropping by my blog Chen Chen :) I didn’t make it my friend Kirk did hehe ~ he is very talented!

I really like Zumbo’s creations, I bought his new Zumbaron book let’s hope I’ll be able to make some of the wonderful macarons in that book :)

I just dropped by your blog too ~ fantastic that you’re doing a patisserie course! I would love to do that too!

• basicallypastry October 18, 2012 at 9:32 am Reply

oh yea… I mean your friend Kirk did it. I did read the whole post. I am sure you helped as well… hehe.. It’s great that you have a friend who loves to bake and you are so nice as to photograph it and blog it for him.
        Thanks for dropping by my blog, I am still very new to baking and blogging but I am loving it. :)
        It was actually Sandy W that recommended your blog to me.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 18, 2012 at 9:34 am Reply

Oh hahaha yup yup I know who she is :P I will have to thank her again for recommending you to my blog!

I’m still fairly new myself only been doing it for a couple of months :) It’s so much fun and the blogging community is really nice you’ll love it!

• basicallypastry October 18, 2012 at 9:39 am Reply

Honestly I seldom comment on people’s blog but this was just too good and I really wanted to congratulate you and your friend Kirk for an amazing job! Hopefully one day I can bake something as intricate as the V8!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 18, 2012 at 9:41 am Reply

That’s so sweet of you :) I’m sure with your pastry and cake making skills you will be able to make the V8 for sure!

I think Kirk said each component as such wasn’t hard to make, it was just the time and the space and the number of utensils you need ~

Good luck with it and do let me know how you go! :)

26. Sarah October 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm Reply

Wow that is incredible! Would your friend Kirk be willing to share his recipe for the White Chocolate Glaze Finishing? I am still deciding if I have the guts to attempt this beast.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet October 5, 2013 at 6:18 pm Reply

Hi Sarah :) i don’t think he’ll mind and I can ask for you but he actually used the same recipe and ingredients that was given in the Zumbo books :)