Truffle Eggs – Maling Room

There are some people you know you can trust for recommendations and Byran (Fatboo.com) is definitely one of them :) I remember meeting up with Bryan a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned that The Maling Room delivers a consistent cup of coffee and that I should go sometime soon, because it’s relatively close to where we live :) I then remembered vaguely that it was in last years Entertainment Book and it was expiring soon, so I immediately dragged Mr Bao to go with me.

I really liked the ‘look’ and ‘feel’ of the Maling Room ~ it’s situated on the corner of Maling St and it use to be a ‘post office’ and now changed into a lovely cafe. I’ve grown up in Melbourne and no matter how many city I visit, Melbourne is still home and I love how we have a good mixture of ‘historical’ buildings and also new ‘modern’ ones ~

The Maling Room is relatively well-known within the Melbourne cafe scene, and has won quite a few awards ~ Mr Bao has been interested in learning more about coffee and the different types, so I bought him a Coffee Guide, and inside Maling Room was rated 5 coffee beans meaning one of the best ~

Many awards ~

We arrived relatively early on a Saturday so it wasn’t that busy and didn’t have to wait for a table which is always good :) I hate waiting for a table with a passion but lol for good for it’s always worth it :P It was a really nice day and we got lots of natural sunlight coming through the cafe, which is always good for us bloggers, because it makes taking photos so much easier hehe

The friendly waitress gave us a table in the middle of the cafe, close to the coffee machines ~ They had a pretty impressive Synesso machine, but I’m still an amateur and don’t really know the ‘mechanics’ of making coffee :) But I do know from reading Byran’s post that they roast their own beans here and you can buy them in individual packages and brew the coffee at home ~

Anyhow, coffee time ~ I always start with my mocha :)

Mocha $3.6AUD

I thought the coffee here was quite robust and this cup of mocha didn’t really have a strong chocolate taste, it was more like a ‘latte’ than a mocha in my opinion ~

Latte $3.6

I’m sorry, but Mr Bao and I don’t remember if this was a ‘House Blend’ latte or ‘Single Origin’ latte, LOL I tune out when Mr Bao tries to gets all technical with coffee :P He thought the coffee here had a strong aroma with good complexity  and not too acidic  ~ we both agree that the coffees here weren’t that ‘hot’ and its funny because they have it written on their menu that they don’t serve ‘hot’ coffees, and that you need to ask them if you like it ‘hot’ :D

Truffle Eggs – 18 month aged cheddar cheese with scrambled eggs with tomatoes and mushroom, drizzled with “truffle oil” $17AUD

Moving on to the food :) OMG! I was SO amazed by their Truffle Eggs! It was SO amazingly good I can’t wait to go back and have them again! It may seem like a simple dish, scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, tomatoes and mushrooms, but the ‘TRUFFLE OIL” just gave the dish a whole new dimension, and so delicious! I wish I could get the recipe from them on how make the scrambled eggs so soft and delicate ~ basically melts in the mouth no exaggeration here!

Spanish Eggs – Serrano ham, scrambled eggs, spinach, Spanish onion, capsicum, tomato and grated cheese $17AUD

Mr Bao’s dish was just as good ~ but we didn’t really like the ‘Serrano ham’, it felt a little out of place as it was quite cold compared to the rest of the dish, especially on top of the hot scrambled eggs. Once again we really liked the flavours they put into the scrambled eggs and they were just as smooth and creamy as mine :)

Escargot pastry with raisins $4AUD

Couldn’t leave without trying their pastries, not sure if they bake them on site, but I wanted to try their chocolate croissant because I saw a little girl next to me devour it ~ but…I was too late and they had sold out…so we went for an escargot with raisins. I was a bit worried at first because I always thought ‘escargots’ were ‘snails’ lol but apparently they can also be a type of ‘pastry’ :P similar texture to a croissant with puff pastry that was buttery and fluffy. It also had custard and raisins all through the pastry, I can describe it as ‘buttery pleasure’ hehe

Aeropress coffee $6AUD

Mr Bao wanted to be a little adventurous and ordered his first ever ‘aeropress’ coffee hehe but when we asked the waitress, she couldn’t really tell us much information, and asked her manager to come over. Unfortunately, she wasn’t very patient and didn’t really answer our questions and simply said “Just try the aeropress, you’ll like it”, I don’t really like places that are so impatient…they should at least try to explain the coffees they have to their customers. Mr Bao didnt’ really like it mainly due to the preference for milk coffee, it was quite a light and watery type coffee with notes of strawberry and apple, however, he couldn’t taste the honey as they described.

Blood Plum Tart $3 or $4 AUD

Mr Bao then bought me a ‘Blood Plum Tart’ take away, because he knew at precisely 3pm, I’d have my daily sugar ‘craving’ LOL so I had the blood plum tart at around 3pm and it was quite nice, the pastry case was filled with custard and blood plums and topped with flaked almonds. I didn’t really like the pastry case, felt very ‘store bought’ and even though the filling was nice, I think I must prefer the raisin escargot more.

We highly recommend the Maling Room for both their coffees and food :) especially the Truffle Eggs is a MUST GET ~ it’s hard to find a cafe who delivers both excellent food and coffee so don’t miss out.

The Maling Room on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , ,

55 thoughts on “Truffle Eggs – Maling Room

1. liannelow June 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm Reply

NOMS! Another one to add to the list! :D Great review, as always, dearie! (:

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 9:38 am Reply

Thanks love :) can’t wait till you go and try the truffle eggs you’ll LOVE them ~

2. Iron Chef Shellie June 24, 2012 at 9:51 pm Reply

Same as Lianne said… another one to add to the list!!

3. Ames June 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm Reply

Maling Road has great memories for me – we used to go busking there during the Christmas season just for fun hehe To be honest, I’ve never had truffle-anything before and don’t really understand much of the hype but I guess I’ll have to try and find out ;) xo

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 10:24 am Reply

Hi Ames :) really? I’ve heard other friends talk about Maling Room before but I never went until Bryan reminded me and because it was in the Entertainment Book I just HAD to go hehe I never really understood the hype either, and agree that ‘truffle things’ can be overrated but they were simply AMAZING here over their scrambled eggs :)

4. hotlyspiced June 24, 2012 at 10:39 pm Reply

I do like the look of this place and I agree with you Daisy, Melbourne has great places for coffee. You live in the best city in the country for dining, that’s for sure. And the prices in Melbourne are so much more reasonable than they are in Sydney. I just love the look of those truffle eggs. What a beautifully presented dish. I’m so glad you had a wonderful experience – this looks like my kind of cafe xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 10:26 am Reply

Hello Charlie :) I didn’t know that cafes in Sydney were more expensive, I thought the cost of living was about the same in Melbourne and Sydney ~ But you don’t need to go out and dine, because you’re an amazing cook and I’ve seen the breakfasts and brunches you make it looks so delicious ~ my mouth is now watering for those truffle eggs hehe hope you come down with Melbourne soon! I’d love to take you here! xox

5. Michelle June 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm Reply

Sigh, but it is pretty far away. :(

6. Faith June 24, 2012 at 11:59 pm Reply

Oh no — that’s too bad about the rude waitress! Bad service can be really off-putting, but I think I’d still check out this place (if I’m ever in the area, lol!) for their truffle eggs alone! The food looks incredible. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 10:28 am Reply

Hi Faith :) Yes i know…we were really taken back by the rudeness of the manager… but I’d still go back for the food the truffle eggs OMG :)

7. Vien June 25, 2012 at 12:40 am Reply

OH WOWWWW the eggs sounds amazing!!!! How is aeropress coffee different from normal ones??

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm Reply

I’m not too sure about the aeropress but i think its another method of brewing coffee :)

8. Norma Chang June 25, 2012 at 2:08 am Reply

Love the presentation of the 2 egg dishes, glad you and Mr. Bao liked both. Sound like a great place to dine.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 10:29 am Reply

Hello Norma :) I really like how they’ve presented the food too ~ it’s a fabulous place hope you’ll make a trip to melbourne soon!

9. andy1076 June 25, 2012 at 3:27 am Reply

looks delicious! :)

10. Choc Chip Uru June 25, 2012 at 6:17 am Reply

Another one to add to my review list!!! This place sounds super fabulous :D
    I love how Mr B is all technical with coffee – my daddy is too :P
    Beautiful looking escargot ;)

CCU

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 11:12 am Reply

Hahahha i’m really not that techy about coffee but Mr Bao is ~ I think it’s a guy thing :) hope you come to melbourne soon!

11. Flick Your Food June 25, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reply

I love the name- the mailing room! Thats ashmame about the blood plum tart.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 3:01 pm Reply

I like the name of the cafe too :) yeah the blood plum tart was the only thing I didn’t really like ~

12. Hannah June 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm Reply

Ew raisins! Blood plum tart all the way for me :P And oh yes, Bryan is a master of burnch reviewing!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm Reply

LOL you don’t like raisins? We don’t seem to like the same things dear ~ except for pistachio hehe

13. myfoodtrail June 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reply

We must live not too far from each other because this place is not too far away for me too :) After your glowing review, I have to make the trip here!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 11:14 pm Reply

Yeah i don’t think we live far from each other then :) I wonder if we’ll bump into each other sometime hehe ~ let me know if you like the truffle eggs ~

14. Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) June 25, 2012 at 8:17 pm Reply

This is right near my folk’s place! I love Mailing Rd, so nostalgic

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 11:19 pm Reply

Oh really? :) I didn’t know so many people lived around this area hehe ~ definitely nostalgic :D

15. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 25, 2012 at 8:17 pm Reply

The truffled eggs sound really interesting! I don’t usually like truffle oil that much though. Do you usually like it? :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 11:21 pm Reply

Hi Lorraine :) I’m not usually a fan of truffle either, but it really does make all the difference for this dish ~

16. libishski June 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm Reply

This place isn’t too far from me (as you know!) and I’m pretty sure it’s also in the current Entertainment Book so I’ll be looking to use the voucher very soon. Sounds like a place I’d take my parents out for coffee :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 25, 2012 at 11:25 pm Reply

Sorry Libby :) This place isn’t in the Entertainment Book this year, but you should still go! I bet you and your parents will love it :D

• libishski June 26, 2012 at 10:32 pm Reply

Oh serious? I must have been seeing things then haha :( I will still go though!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 26, 2012 at 10:55 pm Reply

Definitely go :) I bet you’ll love the truffle eggs and omg the cheddar CHEESE!

17. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals June 26, 2012 at 2:52 am Reply

Hi Daisy! I am still recovering from our long family vacation, trying to catch up on commenting this week. Looks like I missed a lot of your postings, will go through them while taking breaks from working on projects.

This looks like a very nice cafe! I’ve never tasted truffle or truffle oil, my friends swear by the taste, and looks like you really liked it on the beautiful egg dish also, must taste it soon! I could use some of that mocha today, having a hard time keeping my eyes open!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 26, 2012 at 11:00 pm Reply

Hello Jeno :) Welcome back!!! I know what you mean by catching up ~ it’s hard but don’t stress about my blog take your time because I will always be here ~ just take it easy!

Where did you go? Did you have fun? I can wait to read all about it if you decide to blog about your trip :D

This is a really nice cafe ~ and I’m not usually a fan of ‘truffle’ oil but over the scrambled eggs it’s AMAZING! and i need at least a coffee a day to stay awake hehe :)

18. Julie June 26, 2012 at 11:29 am Reply

TRUFFLE EGGs.. im sold. I am so there and omg it’s near my new place :D

19. kellysiew June 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm Reply

The trick to crazy fluffy and soft scrambled eggs: lots of butter and really low heat (taking the pan occasionally while whisking). Why is the truffle oil in inverted comas?

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 26, 2012 at 11:02 pm Reply

Wow…i didn’t know that thanks :) I’m gonna try and make it myself hehe ~ LOL I put them in ‘inverted’ commas to emphasis it lol i’m so silly!

• kellysiew June 27, 2012 at 2:37 am Reply

Ohh! I thought there was something special about it. It’s cute! :)

20. machisan June 26, 2012 at 10:38 pm Reply

This whole dish is so stunning and the presentation – WOW. Loving it.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm Reply

I really like their presentation too :) Wish i could cook this kind of food at home lol

21. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake June 27, 2012 at 12:03 am Reply

Truffle eggs sounds SO SO good! In fact, truffle anything is great. :D I can’t believe I still haven’t been here, what am I thinking! That looks like a great latte too. :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 28, 2012 at 9:56 am Reply

You’ve gotta make a trip Jenny :) i bet you’ll like the truffle eggs to and the scrambled eggs itself was SUPER yummy!

22. winstonthehungryexcavator June 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm Reply

Hey!! This place is awesome thank you both for blogging about it! Will definitely look this place up when I’m back in Melb hehe… And btw I think you’ve got a typo it’s Bryan, not Byran haha! Can’t wait to try now wee hee

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 28, 2012 at 1:47 pm Reply

Hhahaa thanks Wince oops feel so bad typing Byran name wrong it always happens but dunno why my spell check didn’t pick it up :P Definitely come visit this place when you’re home ~ happy to meet you there hehe :D

• fatboo (@fatbooo) June 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm Reply

Aahahah I just read this comment thread and laughed! Thanks for mentioning me. And glad you visited in the end, I’d go there for the coffees. They’re really good.

But in your area, Daisy, you also should take Mr bao to Coffeehead in Camberwell. It’s fascinating there too! Not sure about the brunch though cos I only went there for coffee…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm Reply

LOL Mr Bao has already stalked your blog and Coffeehead is high up on our lists :P sorry I still haven’t changed the spelling of your name ~ I will do it now hehe!

Hope the brunches at Coffeehead are good because i”m always so hungry in the morning hahaha

We went to Red Door Corner Store today! Really enjoyed it!