Sweet French Toast – Hub StK

Thank you everyone who voted in my last post :) I have clearly WON the challenge! *Takes a Bow* I officially do NOT have to do the laundry for the next 2 weeks SUPER HAPPY :D

I am so amazed and impressed at how efficient food bloggers are :D They work full-time, blog practically full-time and most are also full-time mothers. On the other hand, I only work full-time, blog part-time, yet I find it hard to keep up with my posts ~ so many just end up in my ‘backlog’ and some unfortunate ones…stay there for a very long time, before it becomes obsolete. Sighhh I’m also feel quite guilty because I eat out a lot more yet my blogging is quite slow lately >_<

Hotel Urban

It’s easy to walk past ~ so look for the ‘Hub’ sign hehe

That’s why I wanted to make the effort to write this blog post up as soon as I can so it doesn’t get lost in my backlog hehe , over the weekend, I saw on Instagram quite a few bloggers were at a new café ‘HubStK’ in St Kilda. They were all making my mouth water with their perfect Egg Benedict but what really got me interested was their ‘French Toast’! It looked so SINFULLY delicious :P I then can had a bit of a chat with Thanh Do  from The I Eat Therefore I am Blog on Instagram and he was telling me how ‘deathly’ sweet it was and that I should ask them to give me the syrup on the side, because it’s ‘too sweet’. So then and there I was challenged to live up to my blog name ‘Never Too Sweet For Me’ hahaha I got so excited lol I love these challenges because I really do have this incredibly HUGE sweet tooth :P

Nice and roomy inside~

YAY free mags :) I had fun reading the Gourmet Traveller ~

So glad Hub StK was open on Monday given that it was Queen’s Birthday ~ for those who haven’t heard of this cafe before, it’s the brand new cafe located at the Hotel Urban on Fitzroy St in St Kilda ~ the main strip hehe which connects to Acland Street.

YAY! Fireplaceeee soooooo cold!

We got there at around 11am, and it was relatively busy, with only one waitress for the whole floor. So it did take her a few minutes to get to us and give the menu ~ she was lovely though getting our coffees first then giving us a few more minutes to decide on what food we wanted. It was funny though, the manager which I have forgotten his name (sorry) walked over to our table and asked ‘are you Daisy?’ lol I guess it was really obvious…because I was the only on with a camera and constantly tweeting them :P I was really impressed when he said he worked for Stephanie Alexander 25 years ago!

Skinny Mocha $3.5AUD

I’m so boring lol I always get a Skinny Mocha because that’s what I love drinking hehe ~ the nice mixture of half chocolate and half coffee it’s actually quite hard to make hehe anyhow this was a nice cup of mocha, but I found the coffee a little weak and I couldn’t really taste the chocolate in it, more milk and creamy. Mr Bao had a single origin latte ~ he’s really into the Single Origins lately!

Single Origin Latte $3.5AUD

Before going, I already knew I was going to get the French brioche toast…but then their Eggs Benedict looked so good too! So I was trying to persuade Mr Bao to get the eggs benny…but he felt like something more hearty lol so he got the Chorizo, potato and red capsicum omelet. So we ended up getting 2 savoury and 1 dessert perfect really :)

Chorizo, Potato and Red Capsicum Omelet $16AUD

Starting off with Mr Bao’s omelet, we both really liked the combination, very filling and comforting, however, we found the egg to be slightly overcooked and it wasn’t as smooth and soft as we would have liked it to be. That was the only disappointment, if they had taken the omelet off a few moments earlier that probably would’ve helped.

My Eggs Benny on the other hand was gorgeous! It wasn’t on a plain English muffin it was on a brioche muffin :D I’ve never had it served on that hehe the hollandaise  sauce was so thick and buttery and because it had such a strong yellow colour lol I thought it was melted cheese hahaha Mr Bao just rolled his eyes and said ‘You are embarassing…’

Eggs Benedict $17AUD

Oh how I wish I could poach eggs like this so effortless :) I’ve tried many times and gave been given and also bought many ‘egg poaching’ tools but still my poach eggs, just never seem to ‘look’ nor ‘taste’ as good as the ones at good cafes ~ some cafes can overcook or undercook them too! But I’ll save those for another post ~Back to this dish….it was just so wonderful with a generous amount of bacon. We’re such meat lovers lol we don’t like it when cafes only give us one very thin slice of bacon.

Runny ooey gooey YUMMY!

I thought the brioche muffin was so soft and fluffy, but Mr Bao thought it the brioche muffin was a little too sweet and when paired with the saltiness of the ham and the hollandaise sauce he just thought it was a little mismatched. I didn’t seem to mind it :) But you know me and my sweet tooth lol sugar is simply my best friend!

Brioche French Toast with Caramelised Apples $16AUD

Now finally to the STAR of the brunch :D the Brioche French Toast with caramelized apples and mascarpone cream that was whipped with vanilla beans because I could see the vanilla seeds hehe :D I think Hub StK must have taken the suggestions from other patrons and have now put the syrup on the side, because when the other bloggers went it was drizzled over the French toast and was too sweet for them ~ Shellie from Iron Chef Shellie even suggested I add bacon to it and make sure I ate it without the syrup :P I was too full after eating the Eggs Benny that I couldn’t stomach anymore bacon.

I used most if not all of the syrup :P

Mr Bao thought the mascarpone cream was ice-cream and was ‘complaining’ it wasn’t ‘cold’ hahaha now who’s embarrassing? Actually a scoop of ice-cream would have been lovely too ~ LOL but either way I have lived UP to my blog name :) ‘Never Too Sweet For Me’ because I thought the French Toast was just right, and if we’re talking about deathly sweet French Toast, the winner would still be The Good Loaf Sourdough cafe ~

All in all a great new cafe to visit when you’re in St Kilda~  it’s been a while since I’ve gone, so it was nice to go explore that area again and I have a feeling I’m gonna drag Mr Bao back soon so we can explore Acland Streeet :D

Hub Cafe on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , ,

24 thoughts on “Sweet French Toast – Hub StK

1. ironchefshellie June 13, 2012 at 10:19 pm Reply

omg I can’t believe you managed the french toast! I had one piece of bacon to help me and I couldn’t finish it. It was good though :)
    x

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 14, 2012 at 9:23 am Reply

Hahaha I do have a HUGE sweet tooth that can be a little embarrassing at times hehe :) I loveeedd that syrup hehe

2. Peach Water June 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm Reply

O_O I honestly don’t know how you manage super sweet food. I think you should go for a dessert only blog :P you’d be the best dessert blogger hahaha

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 14, 2012 at 9:30 am Reply

You’ll find with time that I am able to stomach so much sweet food it’s a bit crazy :P i was going to make this a dessert only blog…but then lol i’ve gotta cater Mr Bao needs and he very much likes his savoury food hehe

3. liannelow June 13, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reply

YUM! all the food at Hub Stk looks AMAZING! hehe and I am still super amazed at how you can always squeeze in dessert even when you’re full from savoury! hehe So have to try this place out!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 14, 2012 at 10:40 am Reply

It was really nice Lianne :) you’ve gotta take ur hubby soon and if he’s too busy or doesn’t like sweet things lol just call me i’ll go with you wakakkaa i’m always able to eat sweet things no matter HOW full i am :D i’m a piggy oink oink

4. Norma Chang June 14, 2012 at 4:33 am Reply

Sound like you had a fantastic time at the cafe, that egg benedict is making me very hungry.

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 14, 2012 at 11:10 am Reply

Hi Norma :D yes i had a wonderful time and the eggs benedict was lovely!

5. Choc Chip Uru June 14, 2012 at 5:23 am Reply

Fabulous review my friend! I think I understand what you mean when you say that the French toast was the star because wow it looks stunning!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 14, 2012 at 11:19 am Reply

Hi Uru :) thank you ~ I’m glad you liked my review hehe the french toast totally stole the starlight hehe

6. bakingaddict June 14, 2012 at 8:33 am Reply

Congratulations on winning the challenge :) Blogging is like a second full time job!! Great review as always. LOVE the eggs benedict and french toast omg I’ll have to fly to Australia quick ;)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 14, 2012 at 11:21 am Reply

Thanks Ros :) i’m so glad I’ve won too hehe ~ i totally agree blogging is seriously like a second full-time job keeps me very busy hehe but it brings me so so so much joy woo hoo!

Please come to MELBOURNE SOON! I’ll provide you with free accommodation I promise!

7. hotlyspiced June 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm Reply

That cafe looks great. I love the fireplace and the free papers and magazines – you could certainly spend a few hours there! And what lovely looking eggs benedict. I always do mine with bacon rather than ham too. And that French toast! I would definitely make room for that. Great review Daisy!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 15, 2012 at 11:21 am Reply

Me too Charlie :) I love the fireplace the most cuz it was so warm ~ and free magazines are always a bonus only if they had free WIFI lol i could even blog there! I’ve actually never made eggs benny at home maybe I should try :D

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm Reply

That brioche French toast does look amazing! And I’m with Shellie, some bacon would be great added to it too! :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 15, 2012 at 11:22 am Reply

I was just already too happy with the French toast that I didn’t need anymore bacon hehe but i might try next time ;)

9. Rice Bowl Tales June 14, 2012 at 5:41 pm Reply

Oh my goodness, how I would love to have that eggs benedict on my plate right now! And that French toast!! Wish I can have both recipes ~ any chance that you could try and charm the recipes out from them and share it here with us ;-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 15, 2012 at 11:23 am Reply

I think eggs benedicts are always good anytime of the day :) I don’t really know if it’s the poached eggs or the hollandaise sauce but I really like it hehe :D Best thing to have! Let me see what i can do in terms of getting the recipes hehe not sure that they’d want to share though :P

10. Michelle June 14, 2012 at 6:58 pm Reply

There’s lots to see and much at acland st. So be prepared!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 15, 2012 at 11:25 am Reply

LOL alright :) I’ll be prepared I know my bestfriend use to like a place called Rococo there ~ i wonder if it’s still good :)

11. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake June 14, 2012 at 10:43 pm Reply

I’ve never been there before, it looks fantastic! I agree with the others that the french toast looks a bit too sweet, but I also know a girl who is a patisserie chef and she LOVES sweet things. It’s incomprehensible to me. :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 15, 2012 at 11:26 am Reply

LOL I think i should become friends with this patisserie chef :) i’d be really good friends with her HAHAHA i have this HUGE sweet tooth it really is quite crazy hehe but do go and try when u have the time ~

12. libishski June 14, 2012 at 10:51 pm Reply

+1 for adding bacon! Good idea for them to put the syrup on the side too.

Haha I know exactly how you feel when it comes to backlogs. Maybe we just eat too much…

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 15, 2012 at 11:27 am Reply

I think it’s a good idea too :) because I know Mr Bao probably would’ve have been able to have the french toast if the syrup was all over it hehe ~

I totally eat out wayyyyy too much gotta cut down soon hehe