Entertainment Book – Madame Mango

Can you believe it? It’s already June? WOW… it feels like yesterday that I was still in HK shopping and eating lol but now I’m actually a working girl AND I’m in my FIFTH week! The first month has just flown by so so so quickly it’s crazy! But I’m still enjoying every minute of it ~ people at work are just lovely, I have never spent a day where I have had lunch alone  ~ the culture here is quite good too, as long as we get out work done, we are given the freedom to come and leave at any time we want. YAY! I would also like to do a BIG shout out to my colleague Yue ~ because it’s his birthday tomorrow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY and thanks for looking after me all the time and making work a little more enjoyable!

Getting on with today’s post. Last month Mr Bao and I went on an Entertainment Book rampage LOL for my dear lovely Readers who are not living in Australia, you may not have heard of the Entertainment Book. To put it simply, the book costs $65 to purchase, where all proceedings go to a charity and it is full of discount coupons to restaurants, bars, cafes and other outlets. Generally you get 25% off the total bill or you buy a Main meal and get another one free. I buy it every year because it really help  save money and hahaha just gives me another excuse to go out :D

Anyhow, the Melbourne 2011 Entertainment Book was expiring soon on the 1st of June, Mr Bao and I made it goal to use as many coupons as we could! But then I also wanted to make it blogworthy lol so I sat down and did some ‘serious’ research of the coupons in the book and strategically planned out where and when we’d go to these places ~

Then one sunny Saturday morning, Mr Bao and I found our ways to Madame Mangos, a local café in Camberwell. I was really stressed apart parking, because it’s usually pretty bad in this area, but that day we were really lucky and got a spot right in front of it. Once we walked in we were immediately greeted by the lovely waitress who led us to a nice day at the back of the café, with REALLY good lighting WOO HOO!

Mr Bao and I are always ravenous in the morning, so without wasting anytime, we promptly ordered and waited patiently. Service was very good and the meals were served within 10 to 15 minutes.

Madame Muesli $12.50AUD

I was feeling healthy and decided to go for the Madame Muesli ~ which is an oven roasted muesli topped with poached pears, rhubarb and vanilla yoghurt.  I love my muesli and can be quite picky about it, this was very nicely plated and it tasted quite nice too. However, it was more like bircher muesli mainly because it was cold, and I thought the vanilla yoghurt was a little tart, but it went well with the rhubarb and pears :) But still enjoyed it very much ~

Medeterranan Lamb Skewers $14.50AUD

By the time we got to Madame Mango it was close to 12pm, so Mr Bao was feeling like lunch items instead, so he ordered the Mediterranean Lamb Skewers which was served with risotto, red capsicum and a dollop of tzatziki. I don’t eat lamb so I didn’t taste the skewers, but Mr Bao was happy commenting that they were cooked just right and wasn’t ‘tough’. Only issue he had was it the serving, he thought it was a little small…hmmm I’m not sure I would call this ‘small’ lol he just eats a lot! I did try the risotto and thought it was a little hard and slightly under-seasoned but still quite nice.

BLT Panini $9.90AUD

Because we had a 25% discount, Mr Bao decided to order more food, savoury for him and desserts for me :D He then decided to get the BLT panini ~ it smelt so good! But I guess anything with bacon is good hehe a regular BLT but the panini was toasted and warm, combined with the bacon, lettuce and tomato just perfect. I think we both liked this more than the lamb skewers ~ I told him to order something else :P

Gluten-free lemon poppy seed cake $4AUD

I then ordered a gluten-free lemon poppy seed cake :) The owner had suggested it when I walked out to look at their dessert cabinet, he said it was moist, sweet and lovely. How could I say ‘no’ to that? It was indeed very sweet and I liked the poppy seeds, but I didn’t really like the icing on top…it was like a cross between cream cheese icing and butter creaming icing. I don’t know if it was slathered onto the cake when it was still warm, it was kinda soggy…

Ice Coffee $5 AUD

It was a relatively warm day, so I decided to order an ice coffee to go with everything, I really liked it :) especially the little coffee beans floating on top, really gave it a good crunch and the bitterness of the beans went well with the sweetness of the ice-cream ~ maybe I should make good use of my Nespresso at home and start making iced coffees lol

Latte $3AUD

Mr Bao ordered is usual latte, he didn’t really comment much about it :) just said it was a nice cup of coffee ~ I don’t think he had his coffee tasting ‘hat’ on that day hehe

Overall, Madame Mango is a wonderful place to have brunch or lunch if you are in the area, and definitely a place you should visit if you have the Entertainment Book voucher ~ gonna go back soon with the new voucher :D Oh and before I left, I was talking to the owner and he was telling me why the cafe was named ‘Madame Mango’, it’s because the previous owner’s last name was ‘Mangos’ and it was named after Mrs Mangos who is still working in the kitchen :D I think it’s a Spanish name hehe anyhow just a little fact I wanted to share with you ~Hope you’ve all had a great week!

Madame Mango on Urbanspoon

Tagged: , , , , , ,

31 thoughts on “Entertainment Book – Madame Mango

1. hotlyspiced June 5, 2012 at 9:16 pm Reply

Oh, I thought it had that name because they cooked a lot with mangoes! That muesli looks amazing and that is certainly a great start to the day. That entertainment book can be great for forcing you to get out and about and try different places xx

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 6, 2012 at 2:18 pm Reply

LOL i know most people think that, actually Mr Bao thought that was the reason why too hehe so glad I asked :) I definitely like having muesli for breakfast ~ do you get the entertainment book too? It’s the BEST :D

2. Winston June 5, 2012 at 9:45 pm Reply

Ohhh yes! My friends always buy the Entertainment book but never use it. Last year, my friend gave his to me BRAND new! I loved eating my way through it as well. And yes, this place does sound very pleasant. Thanks for introducing it to us, Daisy… Take care! =)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 6, 2012 at 2:19 pm Reply

Oh you’re so lucky to get it for free! I always buy it :) It’s the best hehe and totally great way to find new places to eat and getting a discount is always good hehe :D hope you get to try Madame Mangos too and don’t waste the coupon hehe :D

3. Choc Chip Uru June 5, 2012 at 9:52 pm Reply

A gorgeous foodie celebration for mr b’s birthday! Awesome post :D
    The entertainment book is so coil though we rarely get it now – I love how it introduces so many new places!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm Reply

LOL Uru you got it wrong :) it’s not Mr Bao’s bday it’s Yue my new colleagues bday today! I totally agree that the entertainment book takes you to new places hehe ~

4. Nami | Just One Cookbook June 6, 2012 at 7:18 am Reply

Among all these dish, BLT Panini looks pretty good (and you said taste is okay). Lately my husband and I started to struggle finding good restaurants that worth money. Most of the time we feel like we can make it better or same. We were not this picky before… what happened? Now we don’t have any restaurants that we want to go in our neighborhood. I also love the coffee beans on top of ice coffee. I can smell ti! :-)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 6, 2012 at 2:24 pm Reply

I know exactly what you mean Nami :) Mr Bao and I was never this picky…but now when we go out….and the food isn’t as good…we get a bit upset…i don’t know if it’s because we’ve been cooking more or if we go out more…but the BLT panini was great and the muesli too :)

5. Michelle June 6, 2012 at 7:52 am Reply

I have never heard of the entertainment book before so this is interesting. However, I’ve heard about madame mango before. Like lots of people, i really thought this place serves only mango related items. LOL. I guess not. the muesli looks really interesting!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm Reply

Hi Michelle :) I’m surprised you’ve never heard of the Entertainment Book because it’s been around for quite a few years. You can get the new one now :) it’s really good hehe i know most people must have thought it had something to do with Mangoes hehe but nope it’s because of the real MADAME MANGOS hehe

6. Rice Bowl Tales June 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm Reply

This entertainment book sounds like a good system, not only offers discounts to restaurants, also help to raise money for charities, everybody wins. If we have something like that in the UK, I’ll definitely support it!
    I love the food you two chose at Madame Mango, I would probably have picked them myself too. Looking at my two pieces of humble toasts here, feeling very deprived haha :)

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 7, 2012 at 9:09 am Reply

Hi Jane :) Welcome back! Glad to hear that you had a nice time away! It’s always so nice to just go away and not have to worry about anything hehe
      I think it’s a great system too, because we’re not only just getting discounts but we’re also helping others so WIN WIN :) yay! That’s another reason why I buy it every year hehe ~

Glad we have the same tastes :P don’t feel bad for yourself I have simple breakfasts at home too ~

7. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake June 6, 2012 at 9:30 pm Reply

I was just thinking about whether I should get one this year…I think I definitely will now. :) The place looks fantastic!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 7, 2012 at 9:38 am Reply

Definitely get it :) they got some new vouchers in there too ~ I can’t wait to go through them and share my other good picks with you guys!

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 6, 2012 at 10:40 pm Reply

Hehe you know it might sound silly but I actually thought that there might be more mangoes on the menu!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 7, 2012 at 9:42 am Reply

LOL i know most people thought that too :) and i thought that too before going but being the noisy me lol i always ask if I can :P

9. Cupcake Crazy Gem June 7, 2012 at 12:54 am Reply

That BLT panini does look really good! that’s a shame your frosting wasn’t great – it does look a little funny in the photo! I like your morning brunch dates – maybe Byron and I will start that up when we move to Vancouver! although seeing your pics on Instagram always makes me super hungry hehe!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 7, 2012 at 9:42 am Reply

Hi Gem :) I’m glad you thought the frosting looked a little funny too lol cuz i wasn’t sure if I was once again being a little too picky ~ but nonetheless the cake itself was nice hehe

So glad I’m able to make you hungry on instagram! That’s why goal hehe

10. Jeno @ Week Nite Meals June 7, 2012 at 2:34 am Reply

So glad to hear you are enjoying working, it’s important since we spend at least 1/3 of our day doing just that…

Madame Mango looks like a lovely place to dine at, I would definitely try their ice coffee and dessert, looks yummy and nicely presented. I love that you and Mr. Bao are so motivated to use Entertainment Booklet. Mine is sitting on the ottoman hardly used, maybe it’s time for me to give it an once over and see what we can use. Thanks for the reminder!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 7, 2012 at 9:46 am Reply

Hi Jeno :) I’m glad that i like work too ~ because like you said we spend so much time at work and doing what we have to do at work lol i’ve been very lucky that the people here are wonderful…
      Anyhow, Madame Mango was a lovely place! I can’t wait to go back hehe we definitely need to be motivated to use the entertainment book cuz there are simply too many coupons lol it’s practically impossible to use it all hehe :)

do you have the Entertainment book in the US too?

11. Norma Chang June 7, 2012 at 2:46 am Reply

I will go for the muesli and the BLT panini, I am not a lamb person.

12. Hannah June 7, 2012 at 3:55 pm Reply

That lemon poppyseed cake looks so gooooood! And the muesli, which totally is bircher style :P

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm Reply

It was really nice :) but the icing part was just a little weird hehe

13. delicieux June 7, 2012 at 8:27 pm Reply

Ooooh I love the way the muesli is plated. It looks so pretty :D

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 8, 2012 at 11:48 am Reply

I know :) i was really impressed when they bought the muesli out hehe

14. penny aka jeroxie June 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm Reply

I love the entertainment book but always feel I don’t use enough of it

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 8, 2012 at 11:50 am Reply

Me too i try my best to use it all but it’s so hard and other times the places that i want to visit aren’t in the entertainment book LOL

15. Faith June 9, 2012 at 4:14 am Reply

This looks like a great place to eat! Everything looks great, especially that ice coffee…I wish I had one of those right now, lol! :)

Happy Birthday to your colleague!

• Daisy@Nevertoosweet June 9, 2012 at 1:41 pm Reply

Hi Faith :) Hope you’ve been well ~ This is definitely a great place to have breakfast and brunch with friends hehe :)

16. I-Hua Lim (@msihua) June 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm Reply

Man my focus is only on those beautiful gorgeous purple and blue flowers in the background.. but yayy to discounts and the EB book vouchers!